Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

I can't wait for the hilarious LDS bloopers, I bet they get into all kinds of hijinks on the set!

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some pretty good unused vocal outtakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Pictures like that always make me worry that the show's on their last series

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would worry that about everything Paramount.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I wouldn't worry, Star Trek has gotten enough traction with third era that it will be bought by someone, if no-one else Netflix will probably take it and turn it to exclusive content for themselves. Amazon might also go shopping because their big ticket item, Grand Tour is ending this summer and they need something that has brand recognition.

Is that a good thing or not remains to be seen.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Netflix got great watch numbers for the old treks right? I seem to remember someone posting an article about it in one of the trek threads.

If they were smart I could see them wanting to get rights to the new shows, and getting long rights for them. Although how the minds of netflix management actually works who knows.

Watch numbers don't seem that important compared to stuff that gets new subscribes. They did seem to want to keep disco though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We'll see what happens with Prodigy. Netflix technically has an option to order further seasons now.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So Odo's in charge of security because he knows the station so well, because he worked there back when it was a mining station or whatever, and the public distrusts him because he's a ~shapeshifter~ but everyone's cool with him being head cop for the Cardassians?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

YggiDee posted:

So Odo's in charge of security because he knows the station so well, because he worked there back when it was a mining station or whatever, and the public distrusts him because he's a ~shapeshifter~ but everyone's cool with him being head cop for the Cardassians?

The 90s were loving weird, man. Essentially, it never occurred to anyone that "a fair and just collaborator" is still a collaborator, let alone that what they were calling "justice" was undesirable cop behavior:

disaster pastor posted:

Odo's not meant to be a fascist, but he was written at a time when Americans had unwittingly convinced themselves that they could have little a fascism as a treat:

He'd be written differently now, but when you consider that around this time, people were looking at Rudy Giuliani, Bill Bratton and Bernard Kerik in NYC and thinking "hmm, yes, this is the Future of Liberal Democracy," you understand why he was written the way he was.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

YggiDee posted:

The conceit was that he was the 'good cop' who actually applied the law as written instead of how a Cardassian officer would enforce it. Presumably Dukat kept him on board as a display of how 'magnanimous' he was as a ruler.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He was also 2 years old.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fair enough! I'm trying not to expect Modern Social Politics from a show made in the mid-90s but I had to stop and think about it a moment.

also: every time someone in DS9 talks to the computer it set off my Mom's Alexa until she changed the alert name to something else.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
He was also an outsider to both Cardassians and Bajorans and iirc had a reputation for fairly reconciling disputes among the Bajoran workers on the station. And its not like the show never challenges Odo on his fascism, there's a whole episode about how his collaboration resulted in the deaths of four innocent people and he's been suppressing his guilt about it. The Cardassian security officer that replaces him in his mind palace is blunt, unmoveable, and shortsighted, and turns out to be himself. Maybe the show doesn't touch on it enough but how many episodes do you want dedicated to that?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know, I'm still in Season 1

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

YggiDee posted:

I don't know, I'm still in Season 1

Oh my bad, I didn't mean to dump that all on you specifically.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think Paramount is going to sell off one of their few long term franchises.

The risk right now is that they are just going to go into cost reduction mode and axe stuff that's been around too long since actor's contracts typically increase over time the longer a series runs.

They are already bringing Discovery to an end and Picard is over. That leaves "Strange New Worlds" and "Lower Decks."

MikeJF posted:

We'll see what happens with Prodigy. Netflix technically has an option to order further seasons now.

Prodigy is an odd case since it was originally a Nickelodeon thing and they ordered two seasons right out of the gate in 2019. Nickelodeon was Viacom and this was pre-CBS re-merger. Viacom also struck a deal with Netflix to develop shows and films for several Nickelodeon properties in 2019 (I do not know if this is related to why/how Prodigy is on netflix now.)

I'm actually unclear as to how Prodigy was kicked off in the first place since, at the time, Viacom wouldn't have been able to use Voyager characters without license from CBS. It was early days though and maybe that retooling happened after the re-merger in August that year. Maybe Prodigy was originally supposed to be in the Kelvin universe?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's also just "we wrote this character in a few lines of text and didn't consider how he'd develop in time", the same principle by which Data can have been in Starfleet for 25 years and still need some basic concepts explained to him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve always thought that as written Data’s background should have basically been what Picard was during Tapestry - an extremely capable but otherwise unmotivated individual who just does what they’re told and no more despite harboring an unfulfilled need to explore something, anything. They just don’t.

Instead he’s third in command of the Federation’s flagship and wondering what jokes are.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

I’ve always thought that as written Data’s background should have basically been what Picard was during Tapestry - an extremely capable but otherwise unmotivated individual who just does what they’re told and no more despite harboring an unfulfilled need to explore something, anything. They just don’t.

Instead he’s third in command of the Federation’s flagship and wondering what jokes are.

He got the highest possible scores on the willingness to sacrifice subordinates test.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Lord, tell me season 3 of Enterprise isn't just "bad Voyager".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Lord, tell me season 3 of Enterprise isn't just "bad Voyager".

No, it's Star Trek Does The Bush Administration.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

nine-gear crow posted:

No, it's Star Trek Does The Bush Administration.

Sure, but that was always kind of there. I was more thinking about how they're far from Earth with limited supplies and are encountering bizarre phenomenon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yes but the Enterprise actually suffers consequences and gets hosed up over time. In that sense it's not bad VOY. It's good Voyager/bad BSG

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The contingent of soldiers who are there to remind us to support the troops are the literal worst edition to Trek and that includes all of Picard.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

But again, Enterprise managed to remember that having MACOs on board would cause tensions with the crew, something that Voyager never remembered.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gaz-L posted:

Yes but the Enterprise actually suffers consequences and gets hosed up over time. In that sense it's not bad VOY. It's good Voyager/bad BSG

Committing to the premise of your story? :eyepop:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Atlas Hugged posted:

The contingent of soldiers who are there to remind us to support the troops are the literal worst edition to Trek and that includes all of Picard.

Was going to make a joke about how their redeeming feature was the MACO officer and Reed being the first on-screen same-sex couple in Trek, but that might make someone actually want to watch an episode featuring Reed, and I can't have that on my head.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I don't think Paramount is going to sell off one of their few long term franchises.

Their finical situation seems um, pretty drat terrible. At a certain point you don't really have many options open to you. Not sure how near paramount is to that point, but they can't be that many bad years away.

Edit: Also just closing down the money sink that is Paramount+ and selling the broadcast rights to the trek shows put them back into how they more traditionally ran, you know when they were making money.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 1, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I like it whenever the show pulls out the little pod to inspect the outside

https://i.imgur.com/LVBj2YI.mp4

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some pretty good unused vocal outtakes.

Yeah I'm hoping we'll actually get this as bloopers someday

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

zoux posted:

He was also 2 years old.

Rookie cop joins the force, does things his own way.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Definitely seems to be an unfortunate pattern of putting characters with only a few years of life experience into adult relationships in Trek.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
is Kira committing CSA: the most cursed thread in the history of the forums, locked by an admin after 3 pages and 17 bans

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

nine-gear crow posted:

hosed the warp core - Trip, O'Brien, Scotty, Pelia

Fought the warp core - Torres, Jankom, also O'Brien again, Reno

In a healthy platonic relationship with the warp core - Billups, Hemmer

Dumped by the warp core but told he was "a real nice guy" - La Forge

Buddy,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Fought the warp core - Torres, Jankom, also O'Brien again, Reno

I fought the core and the core won.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been on my ST marathon again. I'm on Season 6 of DS9 and I just finished the episode where Worf and Jadzia get married and Bashir and O'Brien are so, so hungry. They are walking around hungry as wolves. It was curious to hear Martok's wife call Jadzia a slut, though. Wasn't expecting that in the Star Trek.

Meanwhile in Voyagertown I just got done the Year of Hell two parter. Watching the Voyager get ruined bit my bit over almost a year was a lot of fun but I didn't like the reset at the end. I would have rather seen the ship get repaired slowly over two seasons because drat that's how long it would take to fix any ship that wrecked.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"Extinction" was a brutally bad episode. Poor T'Pol once again being put into incredibly contrived sexual situations. First you have her sensually eating a peach for Trip, then talking to him about massaging and tickling his feet, and then Archer poking and gawking at her in his mutated state. At least the peach ended up tying back into the plot later, but this has been erotic cinematic shorthand for like a century. They're so obviously trying to make T'Pol and Tucker be a thing.

At least it's not Reed.

Edit: I was a little gunshy on this post just because even I felt the peach was a bit of a stretch, but seeing that LeVar Burton himself has condemned this episode, I don't have a problem taking potshots.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 3, 2024

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
No, the early part of season three is...well

Fighting Trousers posted:

ENT season 3 is a wild ride. It starts out rough, gets better, gets rough again, pulls it together for a pretty banger run of eps leading into the season finale, and then ends with some of the purest WTF you can imagine.

It remains Ugly Americans in Space waaaaaay longer than it needs to, but it actually does get better.

(Thanks, Manny Coto)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How many times does a Trek character’s actor play their own ancestor/descendent?

Sela

“Colonel Worf” In Undiscovered Country

Adam/Arik/Noonien/Alton Soong (lol)

Janeway’s ancestor in the Voyager Y2K episode

I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting, feels like Trek does this a lot

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Minidust posted:

How many times does a Trek character’s actor play their own ancestor/descendent?

Sela

“Colonel Worf” In Undiscovered Country

Adam/Arik/Noonien/Alton Soong (lol)

Janeway’s ancestor in the Voyager Y2K episode

I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting, feels like Trek does this a lot

T’Pol’s grandmother in Carbon Creek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Hoshi beauty and the beast episode was another banger entry in "how can we torture the women on this ship".