Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Surely there’s an !important or something you can shove in the code to keep the menu order consistent right?

Another detail I’ll bring up now that there’s some app activity is the main back arrow in the top left is displaying the default iOS one on my phone instead of the custom one I made. This actually seems to look correct on IPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

MarcusSA posted:

The inverted menu thing is fuckin stupid

actually it's Cool

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

MarcusSA posted:

The inverted menu thing is fuckin stupid

I don’t mind it at all, actually. Felt really natural.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I also am not a fan of the inverted menu

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

If that report button became red I reckon the menu would be a lot easier to parse. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad in that case?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

...! posted:

I also am not a fan of the inverted menu

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Once I realized the menu is only inverted on the bottom half of the screen I was more okay with the idea since it has a logic to it.. but still would prefer it just be the same order top to bottom no matter what if I had the choice, maybe it could be a toggle?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Grace Baiting posted:

actually it's Cool

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oops meant to report that dumb post instead of quote it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tenkaris posted:

Once I realized the menu is only inverted on the bottom half of the screen I was more okay with the idea since it has a logic to it.. but still would prefer it just be the same order top to bottom no matter what if I had the choice, maybe it could be a toggle?

It’s the underlying OS libraries that are setting that order—I don’t think we should gently caress around with the menu structure to try and fake it out, if even we could reliably tell which way it was going to pop up.

Don’t all your iOS apps behave like that?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

All I know is that this app didn't used to behave like that

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Subjunctive posted:

It’s the underlying OS libraries that are setting that order—I don’t think we should gently caress around with the menu structure to try and fake it out, if even we could reliably tell which way it was going to pop up.

lol just lmao if you have any apps besides Awful App on your 15 Pro Max Chad edition

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I'm.. not sure I use any other apps that do this type of menu? If it was a sweeping change in iOS then it's whatever, I'm fine with it. Hmm I just popped into the Twitter app and the plot thickens

It pops upward instead of downward but the items are still the same top to bottom :shrug:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

lol just lmao if you have any apps besides Awful App on your 15 Pro Max Chad edition

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Tenkaris posted:

I'm.. not sure I use any other apps that do this type of menu? If it was a sweeping change in iOS then it's whatever, I'm fine with it. Hmm I just popped into the Twitter app and the plot thickens

It pops upward instead of downward but the items are still the same top to bottom :shrug:

To add to this I just did long presses on threads on my bookmark page and same thing, items are not in reverse order in the pop up menu when pressing a thread on the lower half of the screen

So no not even this app behaves the same way in other cases!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think there is some menu-wrapper library that was being used that recently-ish got removed from use in the posts view, because it was annoying complication and the underlying native menus turned out to be better now, or something. It might still be in place for the bookmarks or other views. I’n literally sick and tired, but I’ll see what git history shows me tomorrow if I feel better.

If I’m right, then it’s unlikely that things will go back, and indeed bookmarks and other views would follow suit, because removing wrapper stuff like that makes the app easier to work with and maintain across versions of the OS.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
E: nvm

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 1, 2024

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Sorry if someone's already mentioned this: I noticed recently that long-pressing on images doesn't always work? Normally it opens the image full screen and then you can download/share it. I've never had an issue with it in the past, but recently it seems like it doesn't work most of the time. I long-press, I feel the haptic tap and the image kinda pulses, but it doesn't open up in full screen so I can't download/share it.

Sometimes it'll randomly work, but even on the same image in the same post it'll be inconsistent. Like, I'll long press, it'll work, but if I go to another page and come back, then it won't work again. Or vice versa, sometimes it doesn't work at first but later it will.

Maybe related: I also noticed some weirdness with long-pressing YouTube videos. Started happening at the same time as the image issue. Normally you could long press on the title of the video and the menu would pop-up allowing you to open it in the YouTube app. Now when I long press the title it just tries to highlight the text in the title. However, I found if I long press on the middle of the video frame THEN I get the normal menu (although it still tries to select the title text for some reason).

I tried force-closing the app and clearing the cache but that didn't help. I'm just on the normal version of the app, from the app store, I'm not using a beta version or anything like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shnakepup posted:

Sorry if someone's already mentioned this: I noticed recently that long-pressing on images doesn't always work?

Yep, something’s busted there. Try long-pressing, then releasing and immediately long-pressing again. Or holding for like 5 seconds. People have had success with that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The recent updates appear to have not addressed my bad posting. Plz fix.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warbird posted:

The recent updates appear to have not addressed my bad posting. Plz fix.

That’s more of a WONTFIX, sorry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Subjunctive posted:

Or holding for like 5 seconds. People have had success with that.

Omgwtflag

It works, but, like... you don't know if holding will work until it does. That's rather disconcerting.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

jesus WEP posted:

oops meant to report that dumb post instead of quote it
:hmmwrong:

your rudes 'tudes hold no power here, haters

Subjunctive posted:

Yep, something’s busted there. Try long-pressing, then releasing and immediately long-pressing again. Or holding for like 5 seconds. People have had success with that.
Oh I hadn't tried waiting nearly so long :monocle:

To expand on the first method that Subjunctive mentioned, this also happened with links, not just images: longpressing them will initially start lifting the image, link URL, or link text for drag-n-drop mode (if it's a link and starts highlighting, that will trigger a red herring haptic tap... beware!). This also applies to the video titles Shnakepup, as I believe they're links that get a special contextual menu once you can open it at all. If you release, the object gets dropped, it's rejected by almost every potential target in the Awful app, and then it flies back to its original location via an animation that takes a second or so. This animation occurs even if you haven't moved your finger elsewhere!

Finally, if you start a new longpress during that return animation, then you will be able to actually activate the contextual menu for the intended image or link URL itself!!

If all goes well then the total maneuver will be probably half the time of this new-to-me "longpress for 5+ seconds" method, although any retries will probably make it slower overall.

Also very occasionally, the contextual menu or image viewer will pop up first try. This SEEMS to mostly happen for me when I open a new thread in Awful after using other apps for a while, presumably evicting Awful from memory. If that helps at all!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Also found an old bug has returned: while swiping back into a thread from your bookmarks or a forums list, the main app view's bottom tab bar gets replaced by a light gray void in Light Mode, or a dark gray void in Dark Mode.

This minor graphical issue does NOT occur when initially opening a thread by tapping it, nor when swiping back to the bookmarks/forums view.

Demonstration occurs about halfway through this seven second video:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ty for the icons lol

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Ty for the icons lol

They show up in the settings menu but they’re not working for me. Have you got frakes on your Home Screen already??

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Can we get collapsible quotes in the app?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Nice! posted:

Can we get collapsible quotes in the app?

It’s certainly possible but the website’s way of doing them would be a mess of unintentional collapse/uncollapse while scrolling, I think. How do you imaging controlling them? (And would you insist on the weird fade overlay?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spanky the dolphin posted:

They show up in the settings menu but they’re not working for me. Have you got frakes on your Home Screen already??

They’re working on my Home Screen, but I’m on the beta so maybe some extra fixes there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Subjunctive posted:

It’s certainly possible but the website’s way of doing them would be a mess of unintentional collapse/uncollapse while scrolling, I think. How do you imaging controlling them? (And would you insist on the weird fade overlay?)

No fading necessary. Just add a carat to the quote box somewhere that crunches em to one line. Could set an option to be squished by default as well.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

They’re working on my Home Screen, but I’m on the beta so maybe some extra fixes there.

Ah great, it just required a phone restart. Sweet, this is great thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spanky the dolphin posted:

Ah great, it just required a phone restart. Sweet, this is great thank you!

I had nothing to do with it, but you’re welcome!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It's me, I did that!

I'm still trying to figure out how to be involved in Awful.app without burning out. I've enjoyed poking around the last few weekends, so it seems possible that I'll say hi in this thread more than ~annually.

Big shout out to everyone helping out in my neglectful absence. Thank you Subjunctive for the dev work and keeping up with this thread. And thank you commie kong and spanky the dolphin for all the dev work, design work, and dedication in getting that work into the app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do what ya gotta man. Burnout is a motherfucker and best avoided.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

It's a pretty great series, actually. Especially Paradise

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

It's me, I did that!

I'm still trying to figure out how to be involved in Awful.app without burning out. I've enjoyed poking around the last few weekends, so it seems possible that I'll say hi in this thread more than ~annually.

Big shout out to everyone helping out in my neglectful absence. Thank you Subjunctive for the dev work and keeping up with this thread. And thank you commie kong and spanky the dolphin for all the dev work, design work, and dedication in getting that work into the app.

wb wb  :sign:   i've personally been enjoying the rapidfire beta builds lately too!

also yes big thanks devs (both the others as well as you); this app is very appreciated and y'all's efforts make it possible. Big Thevs to yinz

stay safe from further burnout too :pray:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The people demand less burnout!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tapping on an image to save/copy its link/etc takes like 30+ seconds of long pressing now. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm here because my icon reset for some reason and in changing it back I want to ask

Can we get a cat themed icon like the doggo one too

Who's face is this