Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Burning_Monk posted:

loving assholes dont remember all those good Christian white girls dying from coat hangers or "falling down stairs".

They don't believe conservative white women are getting abortions in relavent numbers. They blame it on black women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It may help to view this as coming from a place of fear and alienation. For a significant part of the audience, women are an "other" that has to be explained in terms of that audience's insecurities.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1763226653205967083

"The White House is demanding Fox News retract its coverage of bribery allegations against President Biden’s son, Hunter, in the wake of the arrest of a key figure in the accusations against the Biden family.

Calling the allegations against Hunter Biden “false,” White House special assistant to the president Ian Sams blasted the network for covering claims of bribery against the president’s son both online and over its airwaves “aggressively.”

“I would cite the number of times Jesse Watters and Sean Hannity promoted this allegation and made false statements about President Biden on primetime television throughout this time period, but the footnote citations would fill multiple pages,” Sams wrote in his letter to Fox News top brass, which was obtained Thursday by The Hill.

“As you of course now know, the source of this allegation has been federally indicted for making the whole thing up,” Sams continued. “Despite this, Fox has taken no steps to retract, correct, or update its reporting on this false allegation from 2023.”

The FBI informant at the center of the GOP’s allegations against Biden, Alexander Smirnov, was indicted Feb. 14 by federal authorities, who say his claims about Biden came from Russian intelligence personnel."

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

'Elvis took a picture with Muhammad Ali, but that doesnt make him a boxer.'

https://twitter.com/RiverfrontTimes/status/1763197265261310379
https://twitter.com/RiverfrontTimes/status/1763241859449553437

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/missouri-gop-candidate-for-governor-is-only-honorary-kkk-member-42007057

"A 2022 article on the Anti-Defamation League's website shows McClanahan next to a man in white robes as both men give what appear to be Nazi salutes in front of a burning cross some time around 2019. "

"The RFT reached out via text message and asked McClanahan if he was the man pictured in front of the burning cross in the image shared by Dogan. McClanahan replied, “It's an invisible empire Yes it's me.”
But he denied ever being in the KKK.
"No I am not and I have never been," he wrote back. He then sent us a photo of Elvis squaring off in mock fisticuffs with Muhammad Ali. "

"Later on in the evening, McClanahan sent us the following statement addressed directly to Dogan: “Shamed Dogan I would like to respectfully request that you cease and desist from making defamatory statements about me on the X platform. Your statement about me being a cross-burning KKK member and white supremacist is false and damaging to my reputation.”

The message went on to ask that Dogan stop spreading “further misinformation,” apologize and contact McClanahan directly with any further concerns. "

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
lol

"I'm not actually a member of this Nazi organization. I wholeheartedly agree with all of their beliefs and participate in all of their hate crimes and they pretty much consider me to be one of them but I technically don't belong to their organization, so calling me one of them and/or pointing out our similarities is defamation."

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

bird food bathtub posted:

Boomers aren't dead yet. They remember, they just don't care. If you're deserving of an abortion in their hosed up worldview you can pay to get safe ones in states that aren't christofascist hellholes. If you're poor then gently caress you die none of them care.

You know boomers fought for abortion, right? Roe was a boomer, one of her lawyers was a boomer and the other was effectively a boomer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't believe were still in "Elvis, Little Richard and Jerry lee Lewis are making these kids dance all sex crazy" mode but I guess the nature of conservative is the idea of never changing and speaks to the idea conformity as a virtue of sorts.

When I saw that video, I was reminded of the one or two times I would up some country bar and was struck how the concept of "dancing" was more like marching. Everyone was doing the same steps as a group in a predetermined way, in lock step. Now, sure, choreography is a thing and can be great, but my read was that they were more invested in not being an individual, standing out or, worse, having to dance in a way that's improvisational, based on feel, passion and rhythm or in a way where they might look silly. If you're just doing the planned steps (as a group), you can skip any of that poo poo. They're following the RULES it seemed to me.

Probably over analyzing it but, to me, it didn't look like FUN, and even though there was a communal aspect to it, that was based on everyone being the same (right down to the clothes). I also don't like country music so that didn't help.

EDIT

Also, this should terrify everybody because this is what people who listen to RWM think. This is the Alabama Supreme court judge who ruled that frozen embryos are people

quote:

Parker repeatedly invoked scripture in his ruling, arguing that Alabama law is based on theology that says God created every person “in His image.” He and the other justices in the 8-1 majority said that life begins at conception and that therefore frozen embryos are protected under the law.

“Human life cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God,” Parker wrote in his concurring opinion.

He added that state code recognizes “unborn human life,” and that destroying it — including frozen embryos — is an affront to God.

“All human beings bear the image of God, and their lives cannot be destroyed without effacing his glory,” he wrote.

He also referred to the writings of a 17th-century theologian as evidence that people were created in God’s image.

“The principle itself — that human life is fundamentally distinct from other forms of life and cannot be taken intentionally without justification — has deep roots that reach back to the creation of man ‘in the image of God,’” he wrote, citing the book of Genesis.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 1, 2024

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

BiggerBoat posted:

I was reminded of the one or two times I would up some country bar and was struck how the concept of "dancing" was more like marching. Everyone was doing the same steps as a group in a predetermined way, in lock step. Now, sure, choreography is a thing and can be great, but my read was that they were more invested in not being an individual, standing out or, worse, having to dance in a way that's improvisational, based on feel, passion and rhythm or in a way where they might look silly. If you're just doing the planned steps (as a group), you can skip any of that poo poo. They're following the RULES it seemed to me.

Probably over analyzing it but, to me, it didn't look like FUN, and even though there was a communal aspect to it, that was based on everyone being the same (right down to the clothes). I also don't like country music so that didn't help.

I don't think that's overanalyzing it - despite the fact that they claim up and down all day long to be RUGGED INDIVIDUALS who aren't SHEEP, they are in reality deeply and desperately followers and nothing more.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/AGAndrewBailey/status/1763213925368185107?t=V3N8AStL7TeEPle2Fbkfmw&s=19
The Attorney General thinks Planned Parenthood has been whisking kids out of state while they're in school and giving them abortions without the parents consent :psyduck:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does he have a single piece of evidence to back that up?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

PhazonLink posted:

When did evidence ever matter in a Missouri court?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PhazonLink posted:

If you can't trust an email that's subject starts fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd, then what can you trust?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/AGAndrewBailey/status/1763213925368185107?t=V3N8AStL7TeEPle2Fbkfmw&s=19
The Attorney General thinks Planned Parenthood has been whisking kids out of state while they're in school and giving them abortions without the parents consent :psyduck:

Hint: no, he does not believe that

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Project *snickering* Veritas.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Can I just say -- having spent almost all of my childhood/young adulthood in the proximity of Kansas City Kansas and Kansas City Missouri -- that reading accusations that someone is smuggling people into Kansas for more human medical treatment and better civil rights is still incredibly jarring.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

"I'm going to completely eat poo poo in court when my bullshit evidence is ruled inadmissible and insane, then lie through my teeth about what happened and you're already preparing to eat it up"

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

"People who don't speak languages. We have languages coming in to our country, nobody that speaks those languages. They're truly foreign languages. Nobody speaks them"

https://i.imgur.com/HdVM2P2.mp4

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

"People who don't speak languages. We have languages coming in to our country, nobody that speaks those languages. They're truly foreign languages. Nobody speaks them"

For example, can we really call whatever Trump is speaking in this clip "English"?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OgNar posted:

I wonder if Pentecostals are gonna pull that knife out of their back, or if continuing on like it isn't there is a sign of God's power.

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

OgNar posted:

Remember that "migrant convoy" Trump and a bunch of other rightoids wouldn't STFU about like 5 years ago? Has it arrived yet? Gotta be any day now.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I'm so sick of all these elvish and klingon immigrants.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
And every other Biden snippet I hear on talk radio is the host playing snippets of Joe fumbling his words

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't believe were still in "Elvis, Little Richard and Jerry lee Lewis are making these kids dance all sex crazy" mode but I guess the nature of conservative is the idea of never changing and speaks to the idea conformity as a virtue of sorts.

When I saw that video, I was reminded of the one or two times I would up some country bar and was struck how the concept of "dancing" was more like marching. Everyone was doing the same steps as a group in a predetermined way, in lock step. Now, sure, choreography is a thing and can be great, but my read was that they were more invested in not being an individual, standing out or, worse, having to dance in a way that's improvisational, based on feel, passion and rhythm or in a way where they might look silly. If you're just doing the planned steps (as a group), you can skip any of that poo poo. They're following the RULES it seemed to me.

EDIT

Also, this should terrify everybody because this is what people who listen to RWM think. This is the Alabama Supreme court judge who ruled that frozen embryos are people
It reminds me of the fur-clad fuckpig exploiting his sexy wiles in this alluring music video from Bentley Rhythm Ace https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X63SXyEEX20

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
The degree that RWM has broken the minds of so many people, especially so many kids... it's really getting to me lately. It seems particularly bad now. I feel like hate has snuck it's way into everything and I don't know what's to be done about it.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The degree that RWM has broken the minds of so many people, especially so many kids... it's really getting to me lately. It seems particularly bad now. I feel like hate has snuck it's way into everything and I don't know what's to be done about it.

yeah really noticing this with my partner's family. lot's of self identified gamers in their early to mid 20's and their default positions are really more comparable to my like maga uncle than anyone else. they seem
like generally decent normal people and aren't particularly ideological; usually willing to reconsider or modify those positions with minimal pushback. just seems like they are just swimming in a miasma of those opinions. like i was a p lovely edgy internet teenager 20 years ago but much of that felt much less mainstreamed though hard to trust my perceptions on that

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

OgNar posted:

Is this based on that story about one girl who only spoke Quechua a couple years ago who people originally thought was mute until someone...spoke Quechua to her? Meaning someone spoke it, but it wasn't spanish so "oh no no one speaks it!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lowly abject turd posted:

yeah really noticing this with my partner's family. lot's of self identified gamers in their early to mid 20's and their default positions are really more comparable to my like maga uncle than anyone else. they seem
like generally decent normal people and aren't particularly ideological; usually willing to reconsider or modify those positions with minimal pushback. just seems like they are just swimming in a miasma of those opinions. like i was a p lovely edgy internet teenager 20 years ago but much of that felt much less mainstreamed though hard to trust my perceptions on that
The YouTube algorithm pushing right wing bullshit at people isn’t helping

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The biggest thing is giving edgelords off ramps. Thankfully most self identified gamers tend to pick up new games and filter into different spaces. The RWM pipeline can only grab so many before this atomization exposes them to positive spaces or a flood of statistically normal people and they get good information before they get disinformation. Also helps that many spaces filter out the true toxic assholes naturally, while the relatively inert gamer simply sinks to the bottom.

I have seen a chan derived space detoxify, and it helped detoxify me, during a change in moderation.

Youth tend to present positions more strongly than they actually hold them.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT

Dude, people have been doing line dances and group dances as long as there's been dancing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

...! posted:

lol

"I'm not actually a member of this Nazi organization. I wholeheartedly agree with all of their beliefs and participate in all of their hate crimes and they pretty much consider me to be one of them but I technically don't belong to their organization, so calling me one of them and/or pointing out our similarities is defamation."

This is literally how most Americans think about Nazis. They did not say the exact words "I am a Nazi" therefore there is plausible deniability and also I'm eternally optimistic and don't want to jump to hasty conclusions or look like a mean person so they get the benefit of the doubt

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is literally how most Americans think about Nazis. They did not say the exact words "I am a Nazi" therefore there is plausible deniability and also I'm eternally optimistic and don't want to jump to hasty conclusions or look like a mean person so they get the benefit of the doubt

Yeah, Americans are so hesitant to call other people Nazis. Godwin's law doesn't exist.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

It goes way past Elvis, et al. Sinatra was "seducing" the young ladies into throes of sexual abandon; jazz music, same; dixieland, same; minstrel show music, same...

People even complained about the loving waltz being too spicy and ruining youth.

It old people complaining about new music all the way down.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MrUnderbridge posted:

It goes way past Elvis, et al. Sinatra was "seducing" the young ladies into throes of sexual abandon; jazz music, same; dixieland, same; minstrel show music, same...

People even complained about the loving waltz being too spicy and ruining youth.

It old people complaining about new music all the way down.

I'd love to hear how something like this played out in, like, ancient Sumerian society or something. "God drat kids these days and their SEVEN STRINGED lyres. It's gonna be orgies and the fall of society you mark my words."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I'd love to hear how something like this played out in, like, ancient Sumerian society or something. "God drat kids these days and their SEVEN STRINGED lyres. It's gonna be orgies and the fall of society you mark my words."

Gormack figuring out how to keep the beat must of been knee deep in cavewomen.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I mean we have quotes from Aristotle complaining about the youth today so I am sure if we tried hard enough we could find stuff like that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

I mean we have quotes from Aristotle complaining about the youth today so I am sure if we tried hard enough we could find stuff like that.

There's supposedly a Sumerian clay tablet from circa 2800 BCE griping about how kids no longer obey their parents but I've never found solid documentation that it actually exists.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sax Mortar posted:

Is this based on that story about one girl who only spoke Quechua a couple years ago who people originally thought was mute until someone...spoke Quechua to her? Meaning someone spoke it, but it wasn't spanish so "oh no no one speaks it!"

No, it absolutely is not based on a single verifiable instance that actually happened and your favorite president's bigly smart brain remembered on the spot. It's based on him not understanding what someone said one time and deciding that it was an unknown language and not his brain failing to parse an accent.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Generally about 30% of young men identify as conservative, a stat which has remained pretty much the same since the 90s. There was no shortage of teens and dudes in their 20s who were cheerleading the Bush admin. You'd think the proliferation of right-wing influencers would move the needle but Trump really didn't do any better among young voters than Romney or McCain did.

The biggest shift among young Americans is that women now more identify as leftist since Roe v Wade was struck down.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

je1 healthcare posted:

Generally about 30% of young men identify as conservative, a stat which has remained pretty much the same since the 90s. There was no shortage of teens and dudes in their 20s who were cheerleading the Bush admin. You'd think the proliferation of right-wing influencers would move the needle but Trump really didn't do any better among young voters than Romney or McCain did.

The biggest shift among young Americans is that women now more identify as leftist since Roe v Wade was struck down.

Yeah, a few months ago when Charlie Kirk and the associated shitheads were absolutely over the moon at polling showing a "huge surge of conservatism amongst teens and young men", it was solely about self-identification and the number was around 30%. Self-identified liberals sat at about 15%. So that's a whopping 55% of respondents with the answer of "Eh I dunno", which doesn't really strike me as The Youths finally internalizing that conservatism is the new punk rock.

And then when you looked at those figures throughout past years, surprise surprise, the self-identification rate of teenagers is heavily affected by the politics of whoever is president at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Gyges posted:

No, it absolutely is not based on a single verifiable instance that actually happened and your favorite president's bigly smart brain remembered on the spot. It's based on him not understanding what someone said one time and deciding that it was an unknown language and not his brain failing to parse an accent.

...okay? I was saying he likely heard the thing that one and remembered it so badly because he didn't bother to actually listen that it's now to the point where every single person speaks some never heard of language.