Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Is cruz in any danger of getting fuckin fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BUG JUG posted:

Can a law person explain to me why Cannon staking claim to a trial date in mid to late August precludes Chutkan from scheduling earlier in the year? You had your turn lady, you opted to delay, so the next court in line jumped ahead of you, and now YOU have to wait for the next open date after Chutkan's trial is how it should work, right?

Like if SCOTUS returns their immunity ruling in June, and Chutkan schedules immediately for July 1 jury selection...what can Cannon do about it if she's preparing for trial in mid-August?

It's Decorum isn't it?

I heard something about Chutkan saying he'll give 90 days prep time to the criminals once the trial is officially a go. Probably to head off any appeal they have in the future. But he should just tell them they have 90 days now and he'll schedule it whenever he can. And who gives a poo poo if it conflicts with Florida. Make Donny boy fly back and forth. gently caress him.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

big nipples big life posted:

That guy is one of the few honest conservatives, I encourage more of them to follow his example.

Do you really want to find out exactly how many Americans would vote for openly and explicitly racist people?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

WHY BONER NOW posted:

For his opponents allegedly receiving donations from pro-palestinian groups?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BUG JUG posted:

Can a law person explain to me why Cannon staking claim to a trial date in mid to late August precludes Chutkan from scheduling earlier in the year? You had your turn lady, you opted to delay, so the next court in line jumped ahead of you, and now YOU have to wait for the next open date after Chutkan's trial is how it should work, right?

Like if SCOTUS returns their immunity ruling in June, and Chutkan schedules immediately for July 1 jury selection...what can Cannon do about it if she's preparing for trial in mid-August?

It's Decorum isn't it?
chutkan currently can't proceed due to waiting on the supreme court for their immunity ruling, and as far as i understand it the idea is to have this trial scheduled before that comes out so trump can tie himself up in a court friendly to delays and use that ongoing case to plead a delay in the chutkan case until after the election.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do you really want to find out exactly how many Americans would vote for openly and explicitly racist people?

About 74 million.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Pretty sure we're finding that out later this year anyway

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

30-40% of Americans?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Lol

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

WHY BONER NOW posted:

:shrug: Colin Allred was an NFL player, so (IMO) he's a much more credible challenger than Beto. Allred is also taking pages from Dark Brandon

quote:

Allred went after Cruz’s celebrity status in his announcement, saying “he’ll do anything to get on Fox News but can’t be bothered to help keep rural Texas hospitals open.”

quote:

Allred said Cruz “cheered on the mob and then hid in a supply closet when they stormed the Capitol.”

“That’s Ted for you — all hat, no cattle,” Allred said.

It'll probably come down to who has the most money to spend on the campaign, which is a bigass :lol::lmao: with Mcconnell effectively out and Pmurt spending every GOP dollar on his legal bills

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

kuarduck posted:

Or being such a huge racist loving prick that you won't bother to publicly deny your obvious approval of the KKK, in fact you go out of your way to make that quite clear in your LEGAL FILING.

"Look, sure yeah I went to their cross burning thing and did that salute or whatever when they asked me to but it's not like I went out for beers with them afterwards. I don't think any of them are even on my Christmas card list. You're making me sound like some kind of monster!"

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Ted is still leaning in on Trump being totally innocent, even though he knows better.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4496236-ted-cruz-hopes-supreme-court-puts-a-stop-to-trump-case/amp/

quote:

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said Wednesday he is hopeful the U.S. Supreme Court “puts a stop” to what he called an “abuse of power” aimed against former President Trump after the high court announced it will weigh whether the former president can be criminally prosecuted for his efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

I think Ted still thinks he has a chance at a Supreme Court nomination and sucking up to Trump is his best path forward. There’s no way he gets back into a national election with his negative charisma.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Week long funding bill is passing the senate right now

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Vampire Panties posted:

:shrug: Colin Allred was an NFL player, so (IMO) he's a much more credible challenger than Beto. Allred is also taking pages from Dark Brandon

It'll probably come down to who has the most money to spend on the campaign, which is a bigass :lol::lmao: with Mcconnell effectively out and Pmurt spending every GOP dollar on his legal bills

Beto can win this time, though

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

tek79 posted:

Racism/xenophobia and all that, but it's also one of those things where right-wingers latch on to some complete non-issue but talk it up like it's the Biggest Threat Ever™ because that's what Fox News was going on about that week. So I guess talking about Hunter's penis is old hat now (or Taylor Swift or whatever the last manufactured outrage was). Trump says it now so expect to overhear it being discussed between elderly people in very angry voices in the booth behind you next time you're out for lunch.

This reminds me, I had lunch in a diner the other day in my very red state, and was amusing myself eavesdropping on the old gray-haired couple in the next booth. ("Eddie Murphy made great music," she said, "I have one of his albums and I love it. Or wait, no, I mean Freddie Murphy." Pause. "Freddie Mercury! That's him!")

Somehow the topic of Trump came up. "That rear end in a top hat? He owes $400 million in fines and he'll never be able to pay it."

It warmed my cynical heart. :3:

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I think it's been pretty well established that Ted Cruz can be as loathsome as we wants and he never gets political blowback. His Cancun trip during the TX freeze didn't even really go anywhere.

He'll keep getting elected as long as he wants. Everyone thought Beto O''Rourke would be the big turnaround. I think Texas will eventually transform politically into Georgia's trajectory but I'm not holding my breath for a few decades.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

About 74 million.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Man literally has the word "clan" in the middle of his last name, of course he's a loving KKK member

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I don't think you're going to see a lot of violence if Trump loses because All these people already believe the election was stolen and if that wasn't enough to motivate them Trump losing again won't be. remember these are very lazy stupid selfish people who won't risk poo poo only the truly crazy people will try violence but it'll be a few sporadic people perfect for cornfield fodder

Left leaning people will come out full force and protest things like Black lives matter but the most protesting right-wing people did was whining that they couldn't go to Applebee's during COVID

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

wheatpuppy posted:

This reminds me, I had lunch in a diner the other day in my very red state, and was amusing myself eavesdropping on the old gray-haired couple in the next booth. ("Eddie Murphy made great music," she said, "I have one of his albums and I love it. Or wait, no, I mean Freddie Murphy." Pause. "Freddie Mercury! That's him!")

Somehow the topic of Trump came up. "That rear end in a top hat? He owes $400 million in fines and he'll never be able to pay it."

No, she’s right, it’s Eddie Murphy who made good music.

https://youtu.be/-peWHO6pRnQ?si=Ehy-4gZGfNa8Bhq6

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Best line from Tyler Boebert articles

Kum and Go in a rifle

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

wheatpuppy posted:

Everything about that is adorable.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Eddie Murhpy’s Boogie In Your Butt is absolutely a classic

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
David Duke ('s campaign) responded to everyone pointing out he was a KKKlansman with advertising everywhere, "Even my opponents admit I'm a Wizard between the sheets!"

Still lost but that's an impressive swing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
remember when Don's 1st AG said he liked everything about the KKK except the weed smoking?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Monica Bellucci posted:

David Duke ('s campaign) responded to everyone pointing out he was a KKKlansman with advertising everywhere, "Even my opponents admit I'm a Wizard between the sheets!"

No he didn't that was something Governor Edwin Edwards said when asked how he and David Duke were alike he said "The only place where David Duke and I are alike is we are both wizards under the sheets."

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

No, she’s right, it’s Eddie Murphy who made good music.

https://youtu.be/-peWHO6pRnQ?si=Ehy-4gZGfNa8Bhq6

https://youtu.be/iWa-6g-TbgI?si=xTAXaCcnf2gX2Ujg

My Trump likes to commit all the crimes
Commit all the crimes
Commit all the cri-iiiimes!

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Hollismason posted:

No he didn't that was something Governor Edwin Edwards said when asked how he and David Duke were alike he said "The only place where David Duke and I are alike is we are both wizards under the sheets."

Well I am au fait with bad information. Apologies and a tip of the hat for the correction.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I got a good laugh from he cop language that he used.

"A cross on fire incident occurred on someone's lawn to signify Christian religious identity. Obviously people were dressed head to toe in white clothes and white masks to protect themselves from the fire. The participants than did a salute to signify their commitment to each other and their Christian religious identity. There were no racist overtones while the incident occurred."

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4kypLsnoqM

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Scags McDouglas posted:

He'll keep getting elected as long as he wants. Everyone thought Beto O''Rourke would be the big turnaround. I think Texas will eventually transform politically into Georgia's trajectory but I'm not holding my breath for a few decades.

Beto was a moron but I'll concede that his team did wonders for downballot voting. Anytime it isn't a 100% red victory in Texas you gotta take the small Ws wherever they appear

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is 1736 some kind of white supremacist number?

I saw a license plate tonight that was "KKX-1736" and I thought it looked like obviously the X was supposed to look like a third K

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is 1736 some kind of white supremacist number?

I saw a license plate tonight that was "KKX-1736" and I thought it looked like obviously the X was supposed to look like a third K

I swear trying to find 1488 variations is making me go nuts trying to decipher if its nazi alt-numerology or not. I know 744 and 1389 are.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Monica Bellucci posted:

Hollismason already said that this was wrong, but at the time in 1991, Duke was swearing up and down that the KKK stuff was in the past, he was a changed man, yada yada yada.

Spoiler, he was not a changed man.

But yeah, Louisiana came drat close to electing an ex-KKK Grand Wizard as a governor. Edwards won comfortably, but the fact that Duke edged out the incumbent governor in the primary is bad enough. Roemer was not great, but he was way better than Duke. Even my dumb 13 year old self knew that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
you could probably make any number combo hitler racist

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Beto was a moron but I'll concede that his team did wonders for downballot voting.

I won't lie and say I paid a TON of attention, but it seemed like he was at least pretty dexterous with his marketing. It looks stupid till it works, ala (cough) Obama.

I have no clue what strategy is going to lead to a Dem senator in TX but as soon as it happens I have no doubt it'll also fall into the bucket of looked stupid, but worked.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

A fine birthday gift if true.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Let's make numbers racist. 111 is racist now. It means one people one land one leader.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

chutkan currently can't proceed due to waiting on the supreme court for their immunity ruling, and as far as i understand it the idea is to have this trial scheduled before that comes out so trump can tie himself up in a court friendly to delays and use that ongoing case to plead a delay in the chutkan case until after the election.

Right, what I'm saying is, SCOTUS makes their decision June 15th let's say. The stay is gone. Cannon plops down a date like August 20th to start the documents case, why can't Chutkan preempt that by saying: ok, you want to go in late August, we can start jury selection in July? Is there a requirement Trump be at jury selection for his second trial (usually takes a week or two of wrangling)?

I didn't know about the 90 day thing, but could she start the clock on that after oral arguments in the immunity case at SCOTUS? Or is it more of a she has to wait until SCOTUS makes a decision before making a move, because technically they could decide that Trump has TOTAL IMMUNITY and their lawyers can't prep for a case that has a chance of being dismissed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Let's make numbers racist. 111 is racist now. It means one people one land one leader.

edit: i feel bad for even writing that

im never going to look at license plates the same way

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 1, 2024