Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I found Spare Change in the flashback of the full game, was that there in the demo? I don't remember it being there but then I barely noticed it this last time around anyway. Like literally did a camera pan double-take because I thought it was just weird lighting. I put it on Cloud intending to use it on the boss but then I forgot to because I was having too much fun with Sephiroth. Again.

Queen's Blood seems ok, better than TT, although I see myself probably getting frustrated with it the more it develops. What bugs me the most about it so far though is that every opponent I've run into on the field (so far) is positioned at the left side of the board, but plays from the right side in-game. Just rotate the boards 180 degrees S-E, geez. The opponents themselves have been p fun tho, looking forward to running into more weirdos.

Also Queen Bee is a loving terrible card. Pretty sure it is actively detrimental to run and you'd be better off removing it from your deck and going with 13 cards if the game will let you, otherwise replace it asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I beat every opponent in the grasslands except for the card shop guy with the default starter deck

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I love gobbling up all the slots with 1 cost, 1 power crap and leaving the opponent stuck with like 4 creatures. Big hearkening back to Gwent spy strategies.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm six hours in and I've not even gotten to the swamp beyond just going to the dock, game too big!!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Welp I decided to play through Nibelheim again. Got to the end of that, excited to start the next chapter and I'm booted to an installation screen that's been sat at 88% for ten minutes. Guess I'm going to bed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got to the dock in the swamp. I looked around the grassy but and there didn't really seem like there was anything to do. I found a locked door and a town with nothing in it. I assume I turn back from the dock and things to do appear?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

JBP posted:

I got to the dock in the swamp. I looked around the grassy but and there didn't really seem like there was anything to do. I found a locked door and a town with nothing in it. I assume I turn back from the dock and things to do appear?

Yeah you should just mainline the main story. The game makes it very very obvious when side quests etc become available.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

JBP posted:

you might need to run into bill before that will trigger-- i ran into him and he said to go to the dock even though the innkeeper already mentioned it. the dock scene basically tells you to go to the ranch so i guess he needs to tell you about it first

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stuker posted:

you might need to run into bill before that will trigger-- i ran into him and he said to go to the dock even though the innkeeper already mentioned it. the dock scene basically tells you to go to the ranch so i guess he needs to tell you about it first

Yep I met him. Sounds like I was right to just keep moving forward until stuff happens. Thanks both.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit.

Congrats!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit.

Okay everyone we can stop pretending the game is good now, mission accomplished

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there any reason to not just use the R1 team attack moves over your normal attack? Seems to do more damage, build more meter and is just as free.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

Is there any reason to not just use the R1 team attack moves over your normal attack? Seems to do more damage, build more meter and is just as free.

Oh yeah, absolutely. It depends on the specific attack of course but generally your regular attack is going to be better for a variety of reasons.

Regular attacks are faster and safer by default and depending on the character can be better at building ATB. For most characters it also has some kind of advantage that is built into their kit. Barret's regular attack for example is longer distance, can be comboed into Charge to build his Overcharge faster, can eventually gain a buff, and in general is better than his combo attacks. Cloud's Punisher Mode is going to be better than his Bullet Batter ones and his Charge attack ones have a huge dangerous windup which can be brutal against stronger enemies. Tifa loves her R1 team attacks to get into the air but once her Unyielding Strength is built up her regular attack stringer is going to hit harder, more and faster.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

5 minutes into the game and I'm beaming. Gonna be a good time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
ImpAtom you’ve played most of the game on dynamic difficulty right?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Just got to chapter 3, after 9 hours of playtime and full completion of the grasslands. Game is so loving good. Soundtrack is incredible, and there's so much detail and life added to the characters.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 1, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

ImpAtom you’ve played most of the game on dynamic difficulty right?

Dynamic and Hard at this point, yes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I didn’t play the demo, what the gently caress is going on.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Guess what, its even more of a swerve if you have played the demo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just reached the open world part. Kalm and open-world are blurrier than the Nibelheim stuff, but still much better than the demo and generally plenty good enough.

And most importantly, all the in-engine cutscenes look great, while they looked like poo poo in the demo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dear god Stardust Ray hits like a loving truck

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I forgot that Cloud’s mom is named Claudia :laffo:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pollyanna posted:

She has a little hair spike on the side of her head too, it's adorable. Cloudia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing Rebirth all day. Doing as much side content as I am able, and then moving to the next main story marker. Game is amazing. Playing on Performance mode, and maybe I just need to turn on my monitor but I have seen none of the issues that Digital Foundry has talked about? They used the demo, and that must be really outdated compared to what released digitally on PSN because the resolution and textures are fine. I have noticed some pop in but you have to really look for it. During normal gameplay, where you're not intentionally trying to notice pixels or issues, it is perfect and looks beautiful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Reeve's mom is named Ruvie.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I like that even in a video game I have to fight with vacuum cleaner cord length

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I love having Barret in my party because I’ll daintily hop over something and then hear a loud crash in the background as he slams into a bunch of tables

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is all this "Republic of Junon" lore new to the remake? I don't think I remember a single mention of a republic in the original and i've heard it like 50 times now

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

I like that even in a video game I have to fight with vacuum cleaner cord length

after playing through that segment i have no clue why some folks got so mad at the vacuum (not saying you are)

that was light for any modern minigame, let alone a final fantasy lmao

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Oh yeah not mad, i just laughed when I realized what it wanted me to do

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Enemy Skill system in this game seems pretty interesting

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
way better than just silently begging an enemy to clock you with their particular skill, for sure

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Been playing Rebirth all day. Doing as much side content as I am able, and then moving to the next main story marker. Game is amazing. Playing on Performance mode, and maybe I just need to turn on my monitor but I have seen none of the issues that Digital Foundry has talked about? They used the demo, and that must be really outdated compared to what released digitally on PSN because the resolution and textures are fine. I have noticed some pop in but you have to really look for it. During normal gameplay, where you're not intentionally trying to notice pixels or issues, it is perfect and looks beautiful.

Not all 4K TVs support 1440p; they go from 1080p to 2160p with nothing in between. That's what my 2018 model TV does. It sucks. Perhaps you're not forced to view at 1080p? Additionally, how far away are you from your TV in relationship to its size? I'm 6ft away from a 55" TV and everything that DF says about in their final review of the public release regarding Performance mode is exactly what I see. The issue wasn't fixed. It's pretty bad. They used the full game here, not the demo. I'm unfortunately forcing myself to deal with 30fps in order for graphics to be tolerable.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I have a nice 1440 monitor that ps5 recognizes as 1440, and performance mode still looks terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is all this "Republic of Junon" lore new to the remake? I don't think I remember a single mention of a republic in the original and i've heard it like 50 times now

It might be something from the EU stuff

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I have a tv with all the current bells and whistles on it so it's disappointing that the game doesn't do a 40fps, 1440p or other mode utilising my tv rather than smearing Vaseline all over everything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Am glad I have broken eyes that are unable to recognise the difference between 30 & 60 fps because graphics mode seems totally fine

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I just wish there was an accessibility setting to make the map icons and such a little larger.

I was in my 20s when I played the original FF VII. My eyesight is not what it used to be.

Loving all the open world nonsense. I'll get to the swamp eventually, but presently busy exploring and running errands throughout the grasslands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HD DAD posted:

I love having Barret in my party because I’ll daintily hop over something and then hear a loud crash in the background as he slams into a bunch of tables

I like Barret because he's low maintenance.

All the other starting characters require varying degrees of complex direct control to fully take advantage of them. Tifa has her Unbridled Strength stuff, Red has his guarding to build his Y gauge, Aerith has her zones and now the stuff with Fleeting Familiar as part of her movement.

I find it's hard for me to mentally handle more than one "complex direct input" character in a party.