Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

eagle cluster is good against bug hordes but you will kill your teammates while you learn the range on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Gatling sentries at the extract if you’re pro.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
By pro I mean a pro troll.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh i just unlocked the gatling sentry because the machine gun sentry's been real useful defending the extraction point. will it just mow down my own guys if i put one at the extract

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

hbag posted:

oh i just unlocked the gatling sentry because the machine gun sentry's been real useful defending the extraction point. will it just mow down my own guys if i put one at the extract

Yes, put it somewhere where the firing arc won’t overlap with you or your buddies or it will happily chew you up.

Not super early game but the Guard Dog Rover is insanely good for bug missions when you get it. It starts to fall off when your problems shift from “I’m being swarmed by 100 hunters” to “I’m being swarmed by 100 chargers” but it’s probably always worth at least one person bringing one.

Not good against bots they live too far away.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I hate when my team mates have the eagle cluster.. I find it just doesn't hurt the important poo poo and it blows up too close to us always. Airstrike supremacy

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Darth Walrus posted:

So, in light of the battle for Veld, what are the particularly good anti-bug stratagems, particularly at mid and low tiers? I've been having decent luck with my old friends the Eagle airstrike and gatling turret, the minefield has had its uses, and (as mentioned) the flamethrower seems a pretty solid support weapon, but I'm open to experimentation and expanding my arsenal.

Grenade Launcher is amazing against bugs, especially for shutting down the bug holes. Pair with supply backpack and you can basically use it as your primary

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hbag posted:

Yes, but only in the same way the MG sentry will. It's the bigger, meaner brother, with all that entails. My gatling sentries have generally been good, helpful friends that shred the enemies of Super Earth.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Had a teammate who kept trying to drop the 180mm Orbital on poo poo and it did sweet gently caress all except team kill us and keep firing well after we had shot all the bugs ourselves and tried to go actually clear the objective. What a useless stratagem.

I like the regular Eagle air strike but I really like the 110mm rockets to tell something in particular to gently caress off. The 500kg bomb is also awesome.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cluster bombs look sick as hell so I'll never not use them even if they are the majority of my team kills lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Someone please give me instructions on how to play Helldivers with goons as if I were very dumb, because I am quite dumb.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There’s a Steam group, I don’t think it’s in the OP. Goondivers 2

Also cluster bomb only kills the weakest enemies and the weakest allies.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

JBP posted:

E: whoops it does come with the Knight SMG. I've never used it lol.

The knight is really loving good, it absolutely shits bullets. Recoil takes some getting used to.

But more importantly it's basically a p90 and makes me feel like a Stargate man.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tom Tucker posted:

I like the look of the gold and black fancy armor and the 50% chance to not die has saved me about 50% of the time which is pretty huge.

judge dredd rear end looking motherfucker

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The knight is really loving good, it absolutely shits bullets. Recoil takes some getting used to.

But more importantly it's basically a p90 and makes me feel like a Stargate man.

Plus it has a pretty damascus pattern! I prefer it a lot more in its burst fire mode.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

So, in light of the battle for Veld, what are the particularly good anti-bug stratagems, particularly at mid and low tiers? I've been having decent luck with my old friends the Eagle airstrike and gatling turret, the minefield has had its uses, and (as mentioned) the flamethrower seems a pretty solid support weapon, but I'm open to experimentation and expanding my arsenal.

Ac is very flexible it can butt kill chargers in 4 hits, or leg them from behind it also kills commanders, spewers and stalkers in 2 hits and closes holes.

airstrike and cluster are good for clearing mobs but be wary of ff

Airburst is great low level breach clearing but also is dangerous to teammates.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

jokes posted:

There’s a Steam group, I don’t think it’s in the OP. Goondivers 2

Also cluster bomb only kills the weakest enemies and the weakest allies.

shouldve called it helldumpers

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gently caress I love this game

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

space uncle posted:

Yes, put it somewhere where the firing arc won’t overlap with you or your buddies or it will happily chew you up.

Not super early game but the Guard Dog Rover is insanely good for bug missions when you get it. It starts to fall off when your problems shift from “I’m being swarmed by 100 hunters” to “I’m being swarmed by 100 chargers” but it’s probably always worth at least one person bringing one.

Not good against bots they live too far away.

the guard dog and guard dog rover both unlock at level 10 but im assuming the rover costs more since it seems to be largely better (although that might just be me assuming lasers do more damage)

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

ijyt posted:

Plus it has a pretty damascus pattern! I prefer it a lot more in its burst fire mode.

That's no way to prevent devastator overpopulation.
https://i.imgur.com/8TWWwGv.mp4

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The reinforce strat is great against chargers. Mark them with q, call in your buddy at them, let them do the rest.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the laser cannon seems really good against chargers if you shoot them in the rear end with it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing worth noting about the standard Eagle airstrike is that it can close Terminid nest entrances just like it can destroy automaton factories. A good pick if you want to approach a nest a little more safely.

Makes me wonder if the 380mm orbital strike will be useful for deleting enemy strongholds at higher difficulties.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing worth noting about the standard Eagle airstrike is that it can close Terminid nest entrances just like it can destroy automaton factories. A good pick if you want to approach a nest a little more safely.

Makes me wonder if the 380mm orbital strike will be useful for deleting enemy strongholds at higher difficulties.

The 380 specializes in killing your teammates and missing every single enemy spawner

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

flashman posted:

I hate when my team mates have the eagle cluster.. I find it just doesn't hurt the important poo poo and it blows up too close to us always. Airstrike supremacy

My biggest issue with eagle users is that those fuckers deploy way too fast. Pretty much by the time you hear the call out or see the beacon, if it's anywhere near you; you don't have enough time to get to safety before it blows you up. At least with orbitals you get like three to five seconds to book it before explosions happen.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Adventures in Spreading Democracy:

The mission is to blow up 11 bug holes. The timer is 12 minutes. The planet effect prevents nests from showing up on radar. We drop into the poo poo and fight past endless hordes of bugs. We can't find these loving nests. We find a few holes. Then we find a few more. We find a stalker nest. We are stuck at 10/11 looking for a nest somewhere, anywhere. We run out of time. The destroyer fucks off and the emergency extract starts counting down; we're all spread out but are now collapsing back to the extract point thinking we'll just have to leave as failures.

That's when I see it: a large nest off to my right. I am alone. I have no heavy, and one mag of breaker left. No teammate is near me. 90 seconds until our ride lands. I slam "GO ON WITHOUT ME" into chat and yeet myself directly into that nest. Everything aggros, I toss one grenade into a nearby hole and watch it blow up. Mission complete! I am then torn apart by about 600 angry bugs.

Everyone else extracts safely.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Gatling sentries actually own if you just place them at an entry point.

By entry point I mean the part you enter before you go up the ramp to enter the extraction point where everyone else is camping.

That’s also where you should place mines btw.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Adventures in Spreading Democracy:

The mission is to blow up 11 bug holes. The timer is 12 minutes. The planet effect prevents nests from showing up on radar. We drop into the poo poo and fight past endless hordes of bugs. We can't find these loving nests. We find a few holes. Then we find a few more. We find a stalker nest. We are stuck at 10/11 looking for a nest somewhere, anywhere. We run out of time. The destroyer fucks off and the emergency extract starts counting down; we're all spread out but are now collapsing back to the extract point thinking we'll just have to leave as failures.

That's when I see it: a large nest off to my right. I am alone. I have no heavy, and one mag of breaker left. No teammate is near me. 90 seconds until our ride lands. I slam "GO ON WITHOUT ME" into chat and yeet myself directly into that nest. Everything aggros, I toss one grenade into a nearby hole and watch it blow up. Mission complete! I am then torn apart by about 600 angry bugs.

Everyone else extracts safely.

Hell yeah, had a similar situation last night where our drop was on top of 2 chargers and some water we burned through like 10 reinforcements and a shitload of time before being able to even search for the bug holes. One pubbie dropped early like a Liberty hating coward. Found the final nest on my way back to the emergency evac, autocannoned it, then got stuck between 5 hunters and a rock and died a glorious death spreading freedom for Super Earth.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Darth Walrus posted:

It does not unless you have like the entire team running it and have them all target the same point. They need to make it hit closer to your target point and strike faster for it to be useful at all, which it is not. The only orbital artillery bombardment that is useful at all is the walking bombardment, which is really only useful at hitting large robot bases, and even then, it's just ok.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This is incredible. If you hug emote someone while wearing a shield backpack, they will be protected from a bomb explosion with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el1gPuXVM4s

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Does anybody else hard freeze when they get disconnected mid round on the current patch/current nvidia drivers?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

This is incredible. If you hug emote someone while wearing a shield backpack, they will be protected from a bomb explosion with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el1gPuXVM4s

:eyepop:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Orbital gatling barrage owns til probably diff 5 or 6

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Anyone know how badly the planet wide orbital inaccuracy modifier affects orbital callins like the precision strike? I've heard it's bad for the railgun, but the precision strike is still a high level workhorse me. The low cool down and fast deployment time are pretty good with it.

As an aside, the trophy/achievement for 6x orbital barrages simultaneously is rad. Def wanna try it against a heavy bot base some time. Might make the orbital barrages actually useful

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Yerok posted:

Does anybody else hard freeze when they get disconnected mid round on the current patch/current nvidia drivers?

I don’t but I do get stuck in loading loops on drop in (which is at least cool for the music) and sometimes after extraction before you appear in the destroyer.

The only way to get out is to hard quit alt-tab style.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...hare&utm_term=1

Looking respectfully at the boltgun rifle

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just got the 500kg and it's great. I like the big explosion, small radius so I can still yell at people to move if I screw up. It's also really pretty.

Also the grenade launcher is amazing, but once I got the autocannon, I switched to that. It just feels so much better to use against larger enemies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The boltgun and plasma shotgun look fun

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
me using easy to team kill with stratagems: its fine i'm good at using them oops that was their own fault they walked in to that

others using the same stratagems: what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

me using easy to team kill with stratagems: its fine i'm good at using them oops that was their own fault they walked in to that

others using the same stratagems: what the gently caress