Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

Trying to describe this game to people who don't play video games is a wonderful thing. It's a poker game! No not like that, there's no real money. No, and there's no dealer, you just select cards. And no, you're not playing against anyone. And there are cards that just change the rules spontaneously. Huh? Of course it's fun, it's one of the most fun games I've played in ages!

"It's video poker but you can cheat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

War Wizard posted:

Edit: oh and does wheel of fortune actually work? I've used it like 8 times and it's always a nope. With ¼ odds I should have gotten something by now.

:xcom:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War Wizard posted:

Edit: oh and does wheel of fortune actually work? I've used it like 8 times and it's always a nope. With ¼ odds I should have gotten something by now.

99% of Balatro players abandon a run right before Wheel Of Fortune makes their Vampire Polychrome

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks to an insane set of almost accidental multipliers I got my first hand above about 150k

It was 1.5million

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The joker that goes between 0 and 23 multi is the best and truest joker in the game

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
The card that increases odds + lucky is fun. I just loaded the deck with lucky aces and tens, 2 out of fifteen odds for $20 with 6 lucky 10s/Aces isn't bad

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Played all day at work on small screen. At last, I can come home, relax, and play Balatro on big screen.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Orange stake down, with much less headache than Purple took, weirdly. Campfire and Blackboard were the mvps there, with the latter being my make or break. If I didn't trigger Blackboard, I was dead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Red Card showing up on Orange Stake kind of throws into a spotlight how absolutely laughable it is as a Joker.

Climbing the Stakes has kind of made me think this game shouldn't have had the Stakes.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I got Smiley Face, then Scary Face, then Pareidolia that makes all cards face cards. Everything adds 30 chips and 4 to the multiplier.

I get the game now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Squiggle posted:

I got Smiley Face, then Scary Face, then Pareidolia that makes all cards face cards. Everything adds 30 chips and 4 to the multiplier.

I get the game now.

Say hi to The Plant for me

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Say hi to The Plant for me

Also The Mark

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

War Wizard posted:

Because of the constant creation of new jokers to feed it, I could keep it in the center and just rearrange jokers.

8 tries means there’s a 90% chance you’d get one so it’s not out of this world you haven’t, but many have noted it seems to be under delivering.

I think what’s happening is that even when it hits, when it randomly picks a joker its looking at all of them and giving you a Nope if that one already has an upgrade.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've had plenty of runs where I hit 2 or even 3 times in under 8 wheel pulls. It's me, I've been hoarding them. I'm sorry.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Got to ante 10/8 on flushes and flush houses with the green deck but just didn't have the staying power to keep going. Then the Jokers I unlocked were ones that would have given me the staying power to keep going :v:

I'm going to miss buying out the store for every store lol

e: How have I played seven hours already

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

How have you only done 7 hours?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

8 tries means there’s a 90% chance you’d get one

... What?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm nearly at 50 hours, someone please send help

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

I think I hit a new record for the thread.

Seed is in the screenshot if you want to try it out with the Ghost Deck, White Stakes.

Final Jokers were:

Yorick
Perkeo
Triboulet
Sock and Buskin
Negative Driver's License
Blueprint
Polychrome Brainstorm

Gameplay spoilers:

I ended up getting a Cryptid and an Eris (flush five planet) in my inventory, and with Blueprint+Brainstorm+Perkeo I was able to make 3 copies between the two every time I left the shop. Eventually I got a Polychrome King which I copied a bunch, then I made one of them glass and copied that one a bunch, then I got to add a Red Seal to one of them and copied that a few times, but the Ante 14 boss was The Plant and ruined all my Kings before I was able to ever play a 5x Glass Red Seal Polychrome King Hand.

For Joker ordering I think the optimal was the following:

Triboulet, Sock and Buskin, Blueprint, Brainstorm, Driver's License, Yorick

Flush Five was somewhere around level 15-20, so I around 550x50 or something like that. I'll say 500x50 for ease of math. Had I been able to play a full Flush Five of Polychrome, Glass, Red Sealed Kings, it would have been the following:

Base: 500x50
For each King:
+10 chips, x2 (Triboulet), x2 (Blueprint), x2 (Brainstorm), x1.5x (Polychrome), x2 (Glass)
(Total +10 chips, x24 mult)
repeat all of the above from Red Seal
(Total +20 chips, x576 mult)
repeat all of the above from Sock and Buskin
(Total +40 chips, x 331776 mult)

Do that all 5 times
(Total +200 chips, x4019988717840603673710821376 mult)

x3 mult from Driver's License, x1.5 mult from Polychrome Brainstorm, x5 mult from Yorick

(Total +200 chips, x90449746151413582658493480960 mult)
+500 chips and x50 mult from the base hand
=
700 chips x 4522487307570679132924674048000 mult
or
Score: 3.16574e+33 chips

I'm so sad I didn't get to play the best possible hand, but this was amazing fun either way.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
You're just now realizing that the Midas Mask pairing with Vampire so well is a JoJo reference.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pictured without comment:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

If you run a 1/4 chance 8 times, the odds of getting at least one win is 90%. It’s 1 - .75^8

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tea Party Crasher posted:

How have you only done 7 hours?

I bought it yesterday

Also I won again, two pair and trousers is very funny

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

well, this is going to be an interesting run...

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If you think wheel is maddening, try getting two space jokers and then watch as they both constantly fail to go off :shepface:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I had an amazing run where I was slamming down high card hands for 60k for the first followed by 150 k for hand two. I won ante 8 and choked soon after, but it was a blast slamming down single card hands and demolishing every blind and boss. Beating the game following it's own rules feels like cheating and it's a blast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The very large boss blind is a real bastard lol

Thanks for nothing royal flushes I failed to get

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Okay, this is pretty nuts lol

Also, I'm playing the Plasma deck, so extra chips are crazy good

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Color Printer posted:

If you think wheel is maddening, try getting two space jokers and then watch as they both constantly fail to go off :shepface:

Space Joker is bullshit I'm never getting it again

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MR9t3Cdm3k

I am befuddled by this. I have no idea how this worked.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I'm surprised at how accommodating Castle is when you are using the checkerboard deck. I was expecting it to still require discards of diamonds and clubs, but no, I was able to regularly discard like 12 to 15 cards per round and get it up to plus 500 chips

I was also lucky enough to get the telescope voucher and the constellation Joker, which I was able to get up to x 3.5. Paired nicely with my foiled supernova

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I got past ante 10!

Oh god, this game goes hard after that. Jeez.

I had vagabond generating tarot cards every hand and fortune teller getting +1 every time I used one, combined with constellations eventually getting bumped up to x4.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Finally beat black stakes! Been banging my head against that one for awhile.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Okay, this is pretty nuts lol

Also, I'm playing the Plasma deck, so extra chips are crazy good

I had this combo in the stone card challenge, it was basically a free win.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Let me blow your mind here, you move the joker to the left while you play your hands, just move it back before you pick the next blind

I got a blueprint early last run and I would move it every hand to buff different options until I got a more stable build

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Got all but the most finicky requirements so I don't feel any shame about unlocking everything. I missed Invisible Joker and Brainstorm from the demo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Woo boy if you think black death is rough wait til you get to the Blast Off challenge

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

None of the challenges are really that bad until the last three, since all the ones before that point are mostly just weird gimmick runs, while the last three are genuinely just there to make the game harder with basically no real upsides, or literally none for 20.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

AI, generate an episode of The Sopranos where Tony gets addicted to Balatro and the episode of has a 56 word count of Tony saying the word "Balatro."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Started with Blueprint, literally "I have no other jokers but I'm buying this because it's too good to leave untouched". Then got Greedy Joker to have something. Then picked up Vagabond and Credit Card.

Credit Card lets me go negative so Vagabond is always active (only active below $3)

If I have a diamond flush hand (admittedly sometimes it was just a two pair or full house with diamonds early on) put Greedy Joker adjacent to blueprint to get +4 mult for each diamond card twice.

If I don't have a diamond flush hand, move Vagabond adjacent to Blueprint to play the cards as a "high card" hand to effectively discard them and generate 2 tarot cards that let me enhance my deck. Especially Star and Death cards that convert it to diamonds and Hanged Mans to destroy non-diamonds.

Sell any tarot cards I don't want to keep me ahead of my credit limit, especially as I keep buying card packs.

Sadly no real multiplication/scaling so not Endless viable. Also must have had like 8 wheels Nope me.