Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Quantum of Phallus posted:

me after playing another roudn of balatro

I’m sorta pissed this game isn’t Texas hold em. It’s like I watched rounders for nothing!

i watch it every six months anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Balatro gave me a tetris effect dream

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

balatro... vampire survivors...
two single devs have made better games than 99% of the AAA slop that takes 100s of soon to be unemployed drones ten years to poo poo out...

let that sink in for a minute 💅

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

two single devs have made better games than 99% of the AAA slop that takes 100s of soon to be unemployed drones ten years to poo poo out...

I would love to watch a documentary about viral game millionaires.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

free to pursue their dreams in the mass-layoff industry :patriot:
They've already done their layoffs and closed their physical office with plans to open a new, smaller one that doesn't look like a tiki bar next to a pirate ship. No, seriously, look up their old office.

SUNKOS posted:

I wonder if CDPR can do the same?
CD Projekt, the parent publisher/distributor, is part of the WIG20, an index of the 20 largest companies on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. They're probably not gonna be able to go private.

priznat posted:

I wonder what the heck devs there even do anymore at Valve now that they are on the steam print money train.

They probably just repeatedly make Half Life 3s then laugh and delete them and start again.
If Geoff Keighley's making-of e-book for Alyx is any indication? Making lots of games that get cancelled or shelved for one reason or another before getting publicly announced. Sometimes even for good reasons (Can you imagine how people would react if Left 4 Dead 3 was announced as an open-world base-builder? Or if Half-Life 3 had proc-gen level design?)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
^^ lol I kinda called it

Necrothatcher posted:

Alyx is so good that it kinda killed off my interest in VR. Everything else is almost objectively worse than it, so why bother continuing?

This was my experience exactly. Going from that to Arizona Sunshine was just ugh.

Also the steam deck demo game thingie was super fun. I wish Valve made more games!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Necrothatcher posted:

Alyx is so good that it kinda killed off my interest in VR. Everything else is almost objectively worse than it, so why bother continuing?

Red Matter 2 is pretty great. Duke Nukem 3D and Doom are pretty great too.

e: wrong thread

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 1, 2024

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Lammasu posted:

I would love to watch a documentary about viral game millionaires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQVdR8mJrds

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

RE4 probably beats it out imo. Just god tier. it's a shame it's locked to a platform 10 people own.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Stardew Valley as well!

Dude spent like 5-6 years making the game while his girlfriend’s parents kept nagging him about getting a “real” job lol

Even now, 6+ years after release, when he can do literally anything he wants, all he keeps doing is making content and patches for Stardew. He announced a new game ages ago, but given the lack of updates I doubt he’s been working on it much…

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh poo poo you were right, Xbox version is apparently turbo-hosed now to the point where even the original XB1 version might no longer be working for matchmaking. And the Series version looks like it's not downloadable at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

webmeister posted:

Stardew Valley as well!

Dude spent like 5-6 years making the game while his girlfriend’s parents kept nagging him about getting a “real” job lol

king poo poo

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I want to check out the game 'Frontier Pilot Simulator'. On paper, it sounds like exactly my type of game.

It's been out for several years for PC in early access, but is just released on Xbox.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I played Gears of War Ultimate Edition on Series X last week and really enjoyed it, so then went onto Gears of War 2 with FPS boost. With 60FPS those games have aged so well. It's funny looking at achievements for GoW2 that I unlocked in 2008, and then new ones I'm getting almost 16 years later. Seems I never finished the campaign though, for shame.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

John F Bennett posted:

I want to check out the game 'Frontier Pilot Simulator'. On paper, it sounds like exactly my type of game.

It's been out for several years for PC in early access, but is just released on Xbox.

Let me know if you do as this sounds right up my alley.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Beastie posted:

Just bought it! Will probably start playing tonight, or tomorrow. I'll make sure to post my thoughts later.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Pro-click zone. Danny O'Dwyer and Noclip are fantastic. I have a whole bunch more queued up to watch whenever I get the time.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Is swapping out the hard drive on an xbox one S as easy as just swapping it and restarting?
I picked up a beater-rear end OneS for $35 but it might need a new drive and I figured for $50 I could throw a 1tb ssd in there.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

otter posted:

Is swapping out the hard drive on an xbox one S as easy as just swapping it and restarting?
I picked up a beater-rear end OneS for $35 but it might need a new drive and I figured for $50 I could throw a 1tb ssd in there.

It's definitely not that easy, as Xboxes aren't meant to have a user-replaceable internal hard drive. I don't know the exact steps but I think there's funky partitioning required at the very least and stuff like that, might not even be possible to do reliably (e.g. that Xbox could get flagged has having been tampered with). While it would cost more, it could be worth seeing if there's an official Microsoft repair service, usually for out-of-warranty stuff they'll still do the repair but charge you a certain amount (I think it's generally a flat fee regardless of what's physically wrong with the machine, IIRC for a One S it'd be something like $100).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t think the one s benefits from an SSD at all, I remember looking that up a few years ago

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At the very least it definitely wouldn't be a big benefit, not like the gains you get with an SSD in a PC for PC games.

On a PS4/PS4 Pro, where the internal drive can be user-replaced with a SATA SSD, you get the OS a bit snappier and slightly faster loading times but not some massive "you must do this" level of benefit by any means.

Also if you can get at least the OS to behave, you could always go the external HD route with it for actual game installs.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
From my memory of a decade ago (so take with a pinch of salt): you're better off connecting an external SSD via USB 3+ because that I/O interface is faster than the SATA hard disk drive internal bus. The OS won't run faster but it should shave a few seconds off game loads.

I think there are YouTube videos that test these scenarios.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Primary concern wasn't really about speed, but moreso if the internal hard drive is non functional. I was thinking an SSD would be better for longevity, etc.
I found a video online in which you basically just have to run a script to set the drive up on a windows pc, then apply the software update manually from a usb drive. Not so bad.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Beastie posted:

Re : Frontier Pilot Simulator

I've played for a couple of hours. I am enjoying it, but I think it needs a bit more content. Although I can't be 100% sure as I'm still in the early game, but it feels like I might grow tired of it quickly because of the lack of things to do and see.

Apart from your starter ship, there are only 2 other ships in the entire game. It looks like there are only cargo and passenger missions, not much else. But I guess that makes sense.

The scenery gets a bit samey, but there's a lot more land out there that I can't reach yet. The world is alive, yet feels dead.

The flying model is enjoyable and takes some skill to learn, which I like. The UI is atrocious and the text is way too small, but it's manageable.

So if you like trucking games, you might like this one too. But because you're always up in the air, you're not getting a lot of visual stimulation.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Appreciate the follow up, will probably stick with Elite Dangerous to scratch that itch.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Preach

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Can someone who still has twitter just @ phil and ask him when gamepass family plan is going to happen?
Im irritated with the idea that if my kids both want gamepass ability i have to pay $10/mo each to keep it going. So 2x GPcore + 1x GPU is $40/mo and that's kind of rear end.
They need to at least make it so you can get additional subscriptions for members of the same family (or "family") for a reduced rate.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm late to VR chat but wanted to add that after i picked up an Oculus Quest 3 years ago, I was immensely disappointed that it wouldn't run Minecraft VR and Half-Life Alyx. :argh:

New vamgam update is ok, the phaser gun is fun as balls though. Evolve that sucker and fill the screen with rainbow laser blasts!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hell Let Loose is good

Not for the cod crowd though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Smell Wet Poops

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Goondolences

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Balatro and tekken 8 are gonna monopolize 95% of my gaming time for the next month lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Seltzer posted:

Balatro and tekken 8 are gonna monopolize 95% of my gaming time for the next month lol

People keep saying it's not just a poker game but it sure as hell looks like a poker game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

1glitch0 posted:

People keep saying it's not just a poker game but it sure as hell looks like a poker game.
It's poker-themed, but doesn't really have anything in common with poker gameplay-wise. It's got way more in common with something like Slay the Spire than poker.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I saw a goon talking about how his dad walked in on him playing it and was convinced he'd gotten into video poker, so he started texting him numbers for gambling addiction support groups.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

It's a Poker game in so much as Rocket League is a soccer game. It uses the trappings but is something completely different.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

FireWorksWell posted:

I saw a goon talking about how his dad walked in on him playing it and was convinced he'd gotten into video poker, so he started texting him numbers for gambling addiction support groups.

There are far worse games to have your dad walk in on you playing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
For instance the critically acclaimed MMORPG final fantasy 14, now with an expanded free trial which includes the award winning heavensward expansion which you can play right now on the xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

FireWorksWell posted:

This is the meta game and it's very funny