Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

They’d treat you like Lars

Commander Joaquin Phoenix falling in love with the ship's computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Big rear end On Fire posted:

All this deep philosophical ST thought and I'm over here thinking it'd be fun if TNG had an episode where Spot was the A plot.

Season 7, episode 19

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Outpost22 posted:

What if I want to be friends with a robot or hologram? Would that be ok in the federation?

Whatever happens on the recently terraformed fifth moon of the sixth planet orbiting Gliese 884 stays on the recently terraformed fifth moon of the sixth planet orbiting Gliese 884. :biglips:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

mysterious frankie posted:

So I feel like it’s almost arguing semantics, but I’d say mankind did not evolve; they made better choices that, dovetailing with chance and scientific discoveries which dumped a lot of material resources in their lap, created a durable positive change to humanity’s overall quality of life. Saying the humans of Trek evolved makes it less applicable to our lives now because then it’s about a different species of mankind, instead of an inspiring lesson about what current mankind can do if it gets its act straight.

Then the Federation is full of really lovely beings who suck in a variety of ways, no matter how much it’s formally pathologised their behavior. It’s just, usually you encounter them over the shoulder of your protagonist who is attempting in their own way to live the values of the Federation, and the experience is an object lesson about how not to behave. The fact that Starfleet captains keep running into garbage people who are also in the Federation lends credence to my feeling that future people are still present people, albeit with a lot more support.

They evolved through social change. Like, if you're a nature over nurture type of person that won't appeal to you, but a lot of Star Trek episodes make it clear tremendous social change was necessary for them to reach where they are now. Humans in Star Trek do not think or act like the humans of our society do. We became a different type of being by getting our act together, and that's why the Federation requires societies to do the same before they're allowed to join rather than just uplifting them with their technology. It's a profound social shift that goes beyond political ideology and endless creature comforts. TNG ends with Q hinting that humanity, from his point of view, are on the cusp of another, even more significant evolution, by again changing our thinking.

I harp on this a lot, but Starfleet is not humanity, or The Federation. Within the world or Star Trek, Starfleet people are basically extremists, and come across dangers, outliers and strange situations far more than normal people. Beyond that, protagonists do so more than we should assume most Starfleet people do, thanks to the Narrative.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 1, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Federation can be looked at as an almost messianic pursuit by humanity, inspired to enlarge their utopia, to bring others into it. In their zeal of enlightenment, to bring that enlightenment to others.

Quite like the Borg, I think as Quark pointed out, from a certain point of view.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

The Federation can be looked at as an almost messianic pursuit by humanity, inspired to enlarge their utopia, to bring others into it. In their zeal of enlightenment, to bring that enlightenment to others.

Quite like the Borg, I think as Quark pointed out, from a certain point of view.

Yeah but people with that point of view are assholes, gently caress em

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Original flavor Borg were a great dark mirror to the Federation, one that didn't understand consent on an individual or societal level. They sought to incorporate other species and groups into a new community, one founded on the ideal of the whole being greater than the parts. They had similar strengths as Starfleet, with their ability to adapt to problems and overcome them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

All this deep philosophical ST thought and I'm over here thinking it'd be fun if TNG had an episode where Spot was the A plot.

Spot's Day

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Do a PoV episode so we can see the Enterprise from ground level

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fake paw on a stick reaching into frame, pressing buttons on consoles and stuff.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Do a PoV episode so we can see the Enterprise from ground level

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Why not? What happens if you touch them?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The set dressers get mad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they get dirty, and then these custom built set parts have to be replaced or else the bridge looks dingy on camera.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Look I'mma touch the walls, sorry.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
There's carpet on the bridge, don't you tell me humanity has evolved

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Hard floors are how you know the Klingons are violent savages compared to the enlightened Federation. Carpet is the sign of an enlightened species, it’s why the Q spared us.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Would you rather be thrown across the bridge as the ship is attacked on carpet or hard surface.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MikeJF posted:

Would you rather be thrown across the bridge as the ship is attacked on carpet or hard surface.

I would rather be thrown into the soft, styrofoam, rock-shaped inertia absorbers conveniently stored within each console that explodes like an airbag. What, you thought they put actual rocks in there for no reason?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I cannot find that gif where Picard is making some aliens wait for his hail and he slowly walks over to the plaque on the wall and checks it for dust.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

I cannot find that gif where Picard is making some aliens wait for his hail and he slowly walks over to the plaque on the wall and checks it for dust.

I don't have the gif but I know it's from the episode where the Sheliak are gonna wipe out colonists and Data has to persuade them to leave.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I really like the Sheliak episode. I think that one, and the S3 opener with the self-aware nanomachines, are a great 1-2 combo introduction to Good Trek, for example if you'd never seen a single episode before.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd like to see a true 1970's Enterprise, with wall to wall shag, bubble windows, cool lights, and a Valkyrie battling a wizard painting on the outside

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

SonOfGhostDad posted:

In the past, we used shaped pieces of a brittle solid we call “glass” for drinking vessels, decoration, table tops, windows, and so on. But we’ve moved past all that, having finally learned that, if a glass object shatters within five miles of a room traditionally carpeted in cheap berber- like, we’re talking the kind where if you look at it wrong you get a friction burn on your eyeball- that berber will contain sharp chunks of glass for years to come. An invisible danger just waiting to plunge into the delicate flesh of, say, an unsuspecting officer working night shift on the bridge with their shoes off.

Why… not get rid of the berber too? Carpeting was falling out of fashion in the 21st century; I have no clue why you brought it back.

*bemused* Being from the past, you wouldn’t understand. The future is so super badass that people naturally want to constantly be doing the rockstar slide for no reason. A third officer zooming along behind you on their knees, playing air guitar, tends to have a… chilling effect on diplomatic actions. Having the worst carpeting imaginable dissuades that.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 1, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
who is responsible for the carpet on the ship anyway? engineering?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's part of what that Baryon sweep does.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I imagine it's some kind of supercloth made of metamaterials that repels stains and damage anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when i say deflector dishes can do anything, i do mean anything.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

SonOfGhostDad posted:

Even in the 24th century they can't get the dog/targ poop stains out of the carpet

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The Federation has very strong trade relations with The Empire Carpet Empire.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Computer, call Empire—today!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the klingon lady q put on the bridge to entice worf definitely dragged her rear end on the carpet. again, "this IS sex".

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

I'd like to see a true 1970's Enterprise, with wall to wall shag, bubble windows, cool lights, and a Valkyrie battling a wizard painting on the outside

Unfortunately we never see what Riker's customized Titan

Non Compos Mentis posted:

who is responsible for the carpet on the ship anyway? engineering?

The deck department! :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phase 2 was starting to lean pretty 70s. Check out that command couch.

'

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I've said it before but one of the best lines in Picard comes in the last minute of the series when Picard calls out the carpet as what he missed about the Enterprise.

For carpet design there's this. Movie is almost unwatchable other than Fonda being a stunner.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've said it before but one of the best lines in Picard comes in the last minute of the series when Picard calls out the carpet as what he missed about the Enterprise.

For carpet design there's this. Movie is almost unwatchable other than Fonda being a stunner.

Now that's what I'm talkin about!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tigey posted:

Even in the 24th century they can't get the dog/targ poop stains out of the carpet

It's also why Picard is so pissed off at Wesley: last time Dr. Crusher brought him to the bridge, he got his Go-Gurt on the carpet and it crusted over and it just wouldn't ever come fully out, even a low-level phaser just wasn't doing anything. They had to scratch the spot with their nails while aiming a transporter confinement beam at the spot. loving obnoxious, but it finally worked.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing is, they deliberately made all of the starship interiors unwelcoming and hard for 9 episodes in order to make the warm fuzzies at returing to the Enterprise-D bridge more warm and fuzzy. Which sums up the entire production of Picard season 3, gently caress over the whole thing in favour of nostalgic bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The thing is, they deliberately made all of the starship interiors unwelcoming and hard for 9 episodes in order to make the warm fuzzies at returing to the Enterprise-D bridge more warm and fuzzy. Which sums up the entire production of Picard season 3, gently caress over the whole thing in favour of nostalgic bits.

While spending a major amount of production budget to recreate a pristine bridge to a ship that was "a collection junkyard finds jury rigged to fly in tight formation".