Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's the horse node?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have to admit I have no idea what a Horse Node is despite having played every civ since 2 and many other 4Xs too

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Veryslightlymad posted:

Did they do away with the Horse Node, the most brain-dead concept in 4x games? And the animal husbandry tech which does the opposite of what animal Husbandry is?

I have a lit of beef with Civilization, somewhat fewer with Humankind, but one of the biggest ones is The Horse Node.

I never found any horses. There are deer, sheep, and cow resources (and elephants if you go down one national idea), but I never saw horses. Working a pasture produces exploration xp which I've heard suggested might be to represent the availability/use of horses in animal husbandry, though.

There's no animal husbandry tech, I believe you have pastures from the start, but if you mean can you only put them down on deposits of animals that spawn in the map, then yes, I think so.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Click on the lil [?] under that guy's post to instantly discover The Horse Node Rant.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Click on the lil [?] under that guy's post to instantly discover The Horse Node Rant.

Hahaha. Oof. A bit surprised that was somehow my first post in this thread.

I still stand by it. Horses as a strategic resource isn't gameplay enhancing, it's "actually just kind of stupid". Both tech trees and resource management have needed huge overhauls for years.

Millenia is trying something different, at least, with the age system, so I am definitely keeping tabs on it. Can't fix every problem with a genre at once, and we're honestly kind of spoiled lately for 4x development, and I hope that sticks around.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
FWIW I think he's right, horse nodes are kinda dumb. But maybe there are dumber things in these games too. It's also really annoying to have cavalry researched somehow but no horses.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh I remember that post. I liked the ideas in that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fangz posted:

FWIW I think he's right, horse nodes are kinda dumb. But maybe there are dumber things in these games too. It's also really annoying to have cavalry researched somehow but no horses.

He is but same applies to every animal AND agriculture tile too (like wheat, bananas etc)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
End of the day for me, it will all come down to how well the AI can play it.

I'm not a strategic mastermind, but the AI in Civ 6 is so ridiculously bad as to make the game pointless for me. I don't enjoy games where AI units just pointlessly mill around, etc.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 23, 2024

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think reducing the strategic resources chokepoint would probably help the AI since the AI will often have problems anticipating whether they might have access to stuff like that.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hahaha. Oof. A bit surprised that was somehow my first post in this thread.

I still stand by it. Horses as a strategic resource isn't gameplay enhancing, it's "actually just kind of stupid". Both tech trees and resource management have needed huge overhauls for years.

Millenia is trying something different, at least, with the age system, so I am definitely keeping tabs on it. Can't fix every problem with a genre at once, and we're honestly kind of spoiled lately for 4x development, and I hope that sticks around.

At the very least, Millennia doesn't require you to have a horse resource in your borders to train cavalry or anything. I'm not sure there are any units with direct resource requirements (maybe nukes).

It's simultaneously more abstract and more specific with resources than Civ. For example, you can mine iron deposits for iron, and then process them into ingots. Those ingots can then be used for production, or you can have a forge that converts them into warfare xp, which has a lot of uses including upgrading your units to new tiers or (with enough xp) spawning in units without having to use production to build them. People explaining the game often call the various XP resources "mana pools". But I never saw anything like needing iron to build swordsman, it just gave you more options.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont care much about automation in this kinda of stuff in these games because

1- the AI will be bad at choosing stuff to build and where

2- managing and building my cities is my favorite part of any 4X

That said, theres absolutely no reason we need workers as a unit you have to move around the map to build stuff. Eliminating that, I totally happy with improving my tiles and choosing what to build myself

if players want to automate something (outside of deterministic "do this each turn" stuf perhaps) that's a sign of an issue with the design. I like the idea of copying ctp public works for it

I'm not gonna get my hopes up for the game since "4x with cool sounding ideas" usually doesn't work out and the demo didn't move that much, but I'll certainly look to see what people think of it post-release

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

The demo didn't get to the religious ages, which is.. very odd to say, considering we got to the Iron Age, I think?

Sorry Sumerians, your Gods weren't real

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Started playing with spell force eo again and it plays a lot more smoothly than I remember.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i might be mistaken but old world’s automation tech is actually a huge deal because of the way your orders are limited on each turn, right? seems a more interesting take on automation vs micro than usual

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

i might be mistaken but old world’s automation tech is actually a huge deal because of the way your orders are limited on each turn, right? seems a more interesting take on automation vs micro than usual

Is it? I dont think Ive ever used it. But for me it seemed a very bad idea to automate workers in a game where even wonders are built by them. Almost everything in the city is built by them, automating workers become automating city management and them whats left to do? City building is what I liked about the game.

War is way better than in civ 6, but Im not usually a warmonger 4X player. And I found most diplomacy and spying options nearly pointless, and also the CK-lite part of it mostly imemorable and a bit tiring

Also, in my limited experience (I had like 3 or 4 full games), orders are a big issue early game, but when automation tech comes you are already swimming on it

edit: vvvv yeah I liked the orders system too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 23, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I liked the Old World orders system. It provides an excellent simulation of how a ruler's time is limited and they can only personally direct so many things before having to rely on others. In that sense it provides a natural limit on ICS and other wide strategies. One that feels a lot better than Civ's happiness meters.

It also lets you go really big on military actions during wars - as long as you're willing to stop spending those orders on developing your economy or managing the political environment. Again providing a sort of natural limit on how much benefit you get from going conquering in a way that's both clearer and more fun than war weariness.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I like the orders system a lot but I don't think it really achieves the goal of reducing micro, since using your orders optimally still becomes more and more complex the more stuff you have

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Millenia is a civ game, so it'll get good by the second expansion.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I’m just miffed Millennia kept the Spartan supersoldiers thing. Because A) Bret Devereaux ruined them for me and B) the other national spirits at least kept things somewhat culturally non-specific even when their inspirations were obvious.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I’m just miffed Millennia kept the Spartan supersoldiers thing. Because A) Bret Devereaux ruined them for me and B) the other national spirits at least kept things somewhat culturally non-specific even when their inspirations were obvious.

Bret Devereaux, champion of truth, justice, and really old books.

The Spartan thing for those interested: https://acoup.blog/2019/08/16/collections-this-isnt-sparta-part-i-spartan-school/

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Spartans should be ruined. The mythology there almost certainly has a net negative on society.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I think they renamed them to Warriors or somesuch, but kept the art. Probably because their art department already seems to be struggling, and drawing a new dude might be too tall an order.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

the animation was a bit... odd, too? had them slightly stretch/thin. not sure why they picked that.

also, hope that there's an set of first-era spirits to kickstart generating the different mana/exp bars at release. or something comparable.
doesn't need to be much, a "pick one to get +1 each turn" would do the trick;, so everyone that wasn't raiders/hellwarforever could actually use a couple perks before the next batch unlocked..

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, what i'd like is Colonization II at some point, or someone's attempt to do Col 2.

GOD I loving wish. I did a run last year or so with the For the People mod, which is an extensive overhaul, but unfortunately it's a tad too extensive and the latest update just goes full on into an excessive amount of micro in regards to the sheer breadth of available resources and products.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

STAR WARS (TM) Empire At War: Gold Pack really feels like MOO2 to me - or at least an evolution of it.

Now... am I feeling that way because it is, or because it's a space-themed 4X that features planetary invasions?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

toasterwarrior posted:

GOD I loving wish. I did a run last year or so with the For the People mod, which is an extensive overhaul, but unfortunately it's a tad too extensive and the latest update just goes full on into an excessive amount of micro in regards to the sheer breadth of available resources and products.

Hah, I've been trying it in the past few days and was feeling the same way. like loving 100 goods and at least a quarter are slight swaps

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

StrixNebulosa posted:

STAR WARS (TM) Empire At War: Gold Pack really feels like MOO2 to me - or at least an evolution of it.

Now... am I feeling that way because it is, or because it's a space-themed 4X that features planetary invasions?

Empire at War is a really phenomenal game. Sure, realtime might not be everyone's thing, but the space fights especially are great.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Empire at War is a really phenomenal game. Sure, realtime might not be everyone's thing, but the space fights especially are great.

I only wish that you could play conquest mode 1v1 without the third faction being semi-disabled, and that the corruption mechanic wasn't mostly busywork.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Which factions if any in The Old World allow you to move armies at anything beyond a snails pace? I get I need roads everywhere and more orders than I ever have to do it, but moving the 6-9 units I need to take a single city across from one part of my empire to another takes forever.

There's seems to be no way to order a unit to move A -> B without doing it manually every single turn either?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Comstar posted:

Which factions if any in The Old World allow you to move armies at anything beyond a snails pace?
Hatti, Rome.

quote:

There's seems to be no way to order a unit to move A -> B without doing it manually every single turn either?

Nope, you can queue a multi-turn move. It will be executed on turn end, in case you changed your mind somewhere along the way.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

John F Bennett posted:

Removed from wishlist

How's your ability to feel human?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

THE BAR posted:

I only wish that you could play conquest mode 1v1 without the third faction being semi-disabled, and that the corruption mechanic wasn't mostly busywork.

It being a hero sink and busy work for the other sides is definitely a downside, but if you're playing consortium it's a core game mechanic.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah I was mostly thinking of the whack-a-mole for Imps and Rebs, my bad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Looking around for other stuff I realized this existed:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1541790/Punk_Wars

Too bad the reviews are so bad.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Anyone here have opinions of Ozymandias?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

THE BAR posted:

There's a ton of mods to fix these things

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Quixzlizx posted:

I hear he is the king of kings?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

well he *was*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Quixzlizx posted:

It's decent fun and a good tactical exercise but I'm not sure I'd really classify it as a 4X per se- there's no real exploration since each map is fixed and fully revealed from the start, for one thing. It's more of a 4x themed boardgame in my mind. If you just want to be able to put in 30 minutes to an hour and paint the map your color it's pretty good at that but I'm not sure it's worth $15.