Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

Why did they make the moogles ugly

They're based off the concept art for the Choco/Mog Moogle from FF7. That's how it looked in Remake too.

I personally feel that Moogles were perfected in FF6 but welp.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Last question, about gear in chapter 1:
Did I miss the sword for purchase there? I didn’t have the gold to buy it. Was I supposed to sell things to purchase it?

Answering this definitively: No. The sword in question is obtainable for free when you reach the abandoned docks, and the game pretty much goes out of its way to point the drat chest out to you too.

also lmao 15 hours in and only just now left the mythril mines, but by god I got all the grasslands PoIs and I am rarin' for more

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

the treasure hunts are really nothing special but i love watching the party

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Oh no. I'll never be able to play without Barret leading and being my main because his combat barks are too good.

Also the Chocobo watches you climb the towers joint goty with Helldivers 2

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

stuker posted:

i sort of wonder if cait sith is going to have a different arc, given that chadley already took the spot of a weird lil shinra guy constantly listening to and tracking you

I think Chadley is going to be revealed to be a time traveling Sephiroth, like young Xehanort.
-Has grey hair
-Was created by Hojo
-Is obsessed with Cloud
-Seems to know a lot about the lifestream
-Is generally unpleasant

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

JBP posted:

Oh no. I'll never be able to play without Barret leading and being my main because his combat barks are too good.

Also the Chocobo watches you climb the towers joint goty with Helldivers 2

I'm having real issues because I've been having a blast with this game but also the bugs have pushed dangerously close to super earth...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Grinnblade posted:

Answering this definitively: No. The sword in question is obtainable for free when you reach the abandoned docks, and the game pretty much goes out of its way to point the drat chest out to you too.

also lmao 15 hours in and only just now left the mythril mines, but by god I got all the grasslands PoIs and I am rarin' for more

I am in this same position and am only stopping because I am about to fall asleep in my chair lol, been a while since a game has been like this for me, even FF16 I was content with shorter sessions

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
In FF7 original, Tifa recognized Cloud at Nibelheim, right? Or am I misremembering? Her line to Aerith about Cloud not being there at all is bugging me because I thought she knew he was the trooper, they have some interactions.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, he had the helmet on, so she just assumed it was some random shinra grunt

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She has a half-remembered coma dream of him being there for her after she gets sliced by Sephiroth aside from that though she had no clue.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also, speaking of Tifa is it just me or is she too drat strong this game?

Even ignoring the stagger bonus the Rise and Fall into Omnistrike combo deals so much damage and comes out so fast. Had a scary moment against a near dead Phoenix where all I had was a 30 HP Tifa but she basically nuked the last 1/10 of his HP in a second before he could get off another attack.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So the Assess description for Phoenix states that it uses Rebirth Flame when you let it use Empowering Flame twice without interrupting it but Phoenix seems to be able to just randomly bust it out immediately after two staggers or sometimes even after one I'm wondering if this is another one of those times where the VII Remake staff describe things wrong?

Most of the quest combat content in this game is amazing but holy gently caress am I tired of the open world already. The towers are whatever but I am honestly kinda amazed that they don't even give you a map (also navigation is generally quite tedious), only icons, and those icons are all either fights or further examinables that seem to only exist to give you other icons that give you fights. Did we really need to have five identical encounters with Beck's Badasses, with the same paper thin excuse for each one not being the last? It's like they have all these amazing scenario designs to hand and seem to have absolutely no confidence that people will like their game if they're not having to track down identical doodads on a map the whole time they're playing it. The same is true of the surprise reprise of Fort Condor in Junon, I laughed for like a minute at the reveal, found it a little tiresome to play, and found it had precisely lasted out its welcome when it ended, which is good! Then I find I have to do it a bunch more times.

Like man this is Final Fantasy loving Seven. The written portions of this game have been the hypest poo poo on the planet. Even the card game is at least interesting to play, even if you don't respect it. Why did it need to be tied down with all this deadweight ubisoft-tier openworlding? All you had to do is have a few quests that are as good as the time a lady in Junon asks you to walk a dog. Remake had this about right, I think, probably because it didn't try to have an open world. Maybe if the tower climbing and inexplicable cave crystal rhythm gaming were set to the most banging remixes ever written I could forgive them.

Like to be clear the game is amazing. It is full of incredible things. It is also full of poo poo and could be made 500% better by having half of its content by volume removed and replaced with nothing. Shinra as a metaphor for Ubisoft, I guess.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like every summon fight Phoenix busts out the ult at approx 50%. It probably just also busts it out if it uses Empowering Flame twice

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok 6 hours in or so and one question. How do I manually upgrade my weapons. It says I have it on manual mode but it's not letting me do anything.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay what's the secret to the last (please God be the last) Junon Protorelic Thing? I can get within spitting distance of victory but no matter what Gilgamesh just has too much health and can reliably just run out the clock before dying. Nothing can stay alive long enough to contribute much, and there's no way to make the AI coordinate. Even the hero units just die when he hard counters whatever they are. Even Grandmaster Chadley wasn't this miserable to fight. At least he was playing the same game.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Fedule posted:

Okay what's the secret to the last (please God be the last) Junon Protorelic Thing? I can get within spitting distance of victory but no matter what Gilgamesh just has too much health and can reliably just run out the clock before dying. Nothing can stay alive long enough to contribute much, and there's no way to make the AI coordinate. Even the hero units just die when he hard counters whatever they are. Even Grandmaster Chadley wasn't this miserable to fight. At least he was playing the same game.

Usually there'll be more enemy troops on one side. Summon the heroes when there's a few trying to funnel into your field. When you summon your heroes or elite units, put your two clerics behind them. During the last stage of the fight, summon archers right after Gilgamesh attacks.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Fedule posted:

get a trebuchet into the bottom row so it hits the middle, put an enforcer and archer or cleric as support, then take care of the archer and enforcer on the top row. when you've finally reached the boss later on position another trebuchet to fire onto the boss and once they're ready unleash both heroes directly at the boss. fill up with whatever unit you have and he should die quickly.

it's very hard but this is how I managed it

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

the CHAD module

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

get a trebuchet into the bottom row so it hits the middle, put an enforcer and archer or cleric as support, then take care of the archer and enforcer on the top row. when you've finally reached the boss later on position another trebuchet to fire onto the boss and once they're ready unleash both heroes directly at the boss. fill up with whatever unit you have and he should die quickly.

it's very hard but this is how I managed it

Does game difficulty affect mini-games? I got my rear end kicked by that last Fort Condor game 3 or 4 times in a row before bumping it down to easy and doing it first try. I don't know if it was actually easier or if I just got really lucky.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok 6 hours in or so and one question. How do I manually upgrade my weapons. It says I have it on manual mode but it's not letting me do anything.

I honestly have no idea. I couldn’t find it myself and just assumed it’s automatic?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm addicted to Firebolt Blade and also to Red XIII's Vengeance Mode

Combat is so much fun so far

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Skeezy posted:

I honestly have no idea. I couldn’t find it myself and just assumed it’s automatic?

I think it’s just really weirdly worded since they call it “auto upgrade” when you don’t actually upgrade poo poo, if you open up the menu to choose the type of upgrades it says it’s to equip the weapon skills you can otherwise assign in the materia menu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

You don't update your weapons like in Remake. Instead they level up as you gain SP. The Manual/Auto thing is about the equipping of Weapon Skills.

Fedule posted:

Save one of your hero units until he triggers his barrier thing and use their deployment attack to finish them off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the weapon upgrade trees from Remake are gone, replaced with the folios. This time, you just equip weapon skills. The skills are automatically learned as your weapon levels up, the "auto-upgrade" just automatically equips skills to your specification.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I got to upper junon. How does this game keep getting better.

Rude my man what it is you're doing

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ah crap, am I going to get a second chance to assess Burke?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Enemy skill materia seems pretty good. Even just the first two abilities seem super useful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fact that characters who aren't in your active party not only still get EXP, but their materia also still get AP is so loving nice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I got to upper junon. How does this game keep getting better.

Rude my man what it is you're doing

Embrace The Shave.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How do you use the 2nd limit breaks?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/reaper_gt7/status/1763479767733428621?t=hb3g0OwtKs6HLEx2bbe6OQ&s=19

Lmao @ the news in Spain.

RatHat posted:

How do you use the 2nd limit breaks?
Use a synergy command and it will unlock level 2 limit breaks for that battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

https://twitter.com/reaper_gt7/status/1763479767733428621?t=hb3g0OwtKs6HLEx2bbe6OQ&s=19

Lmao @ the news in Spain.

Use a synergy command and it will unlock level 2 limit breaks for that battle.

To be precise it has to be one with a yellow icon

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh that’s what “Increase limit level” means. I thought that was just increasing the bar

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Game is good 👍

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
love the combat, been grinding Titan full strenght on dynamic and it's so good
this game's jank feels like a ps3 ff title at times, like especially npc behaviour and routines, it's endearing much more than the stuff like forced crawling or limping sections

I will say square, let me mute chadley, the way he mechanically says Cloud! everytime he calls on cloud's ps portal device thing is grating

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I gotta say, it was pretty mean of them to (Mythril Mines spoiler) give Barret a climbing section in the mines. Like, it's impressive that he was able to do it with one hand, but still.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Can you flip the difficulty to dynamic scaling after the game has started? I started on normal and I'm quickly outleveling everything.

Hearing that hard mode let's you recover mp with cushions is interesting - it might actually be the thing to give it legs rather than the first game being a slog where you have to extremely ration your magic.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Can you flip the difficulty to dynamic scaling after the game has started? I started on normal and I'm quickly outleveling everything.

Hearing that hard mode let's you recover mp with cushions is interesting - it might actually be the thing to give it legs rather than the first game being a slog where you have to extremely ration your magic.

You can change difficulty anytime in the options.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

JBP posted:

Why did they make the moogles ugly

The remake moogles are unending nightmare creatures and I love my uncanny valley monstrosities so much. I will fight you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Game has been good so far but I just encountered a bug where the game gets stuck and needs to be closed from the PS5 menu. I lost about 20 mins of progress. Not a huge deal but annoying since I have limited playtime.

After getting the Chocobos in the grasslands, there is an Intel point just north of the ranch. As I approached the game tried to trigger a cutscene but the camera glitched out and started going all over the place. After the end of the cutscene my party was stuck in place and could not move. There was an option to “skip” but that just hung the game for a few minutes. After that I closed the game from the PS5 menu.

Anyway, might be worth manually saving the game before going to that intel point if you’ve been dicking around for a while. When I started the game up again the cutscene worked fine so who knows what caused the glitch.