Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is that Jarvis' actual accent? It's almost identical to the one employed by Russell Crowe as Cpt Aubrey RN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
When the book is talking about Oda Nobunaga, his analog is "the Dictator Goroda", Toyotomi Hideyoshi is like the only historical figure other than Akechi Mitsuhide with a name that doesn't just have a few letters changed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cool show so far, impressive production for sure but I keep getting super distracted by Jarvis' blue contacts. It really clashes with the detail of everything because it doesn't look good. But maybe it's just me because actors wearing contact lenses to change eye color has a always bugged me and Blackthorne's eyes are a weirdly fake shade of blue too. Not Johnny Depp in Black Mass bad but not far off.

I haven't read the source material or seen the original adaptation but is there a major reason why they did that? I know they bring up his eye color briefly but is it a big thing going forward or something because I would've preferred if they'd just not done it and axed any reference to his eye color.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Cool show so far, impressive production for sure but I keep getting super distracted by Jarvis' blue contacts. It really clashes with the detail of everything because it doesn't look good. But maybe it's just me because actors wearing contact lenses to change eye color has a always bugged me and Blackthorne's eyes are a weirdly fake shade of blue too. Not Johnny Depp in Black Mass bad but not far off.

I haven't read the source material or seen the original adaptation but is there a major reason why they did that? I know they bring up his eye color briefly but is it a big thing going forward or something because I would've preferred if they'd just not done it and axed any reference to his eye color.

His physical contrast to the Spanish is slightly important to the narrative.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As a person with blue eyes it's important to the audience that Anjin has the lucky genes, yes.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
What's the deal with Macau? How does that factor in to all the Portuguese trade?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ManSedan posted:

What's the deal with Macau? How does that factor in to all the Portuguese trade?

If I understand right, the Portuguese have a base/trading port there that they're using to funnel guns into the hands of the Japanese rulers that they want to put into power (because they're Christians), so they've basically been puppeting various uprisings in Japan and fomenting chaos to eventually turn Japan into a de facto vassal state.

Man this show is really good. I just finished episode 2, and the scene in the zen garden where John echoes Toranaga's earlier "Unless I win" and then Toranaga smirks, gave me chills. So good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Count Thrashula posted:

If I understand right, the Portuguese have a base/trading port there that they're using to funnel guns into the hands of the Japanese rulers that they want to put into power (because they're Christians), so they've basically been puppeting various uprisings in Japan and fomenting chaos to eventually turn Japan into a de facto vassal state.

Man this show is really good. I just finished episode 2, and the scene in the zen garden where John echoes Toranaga's earlier "Unless I win" and then Toranaga smirks, gave me chills. So good.

To add to this, this is why you see Asian F Murray Abraham hanging out with the Jesuits and saying he’ll “take care of things” after hearing about Blackthorne escaping execution

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Origami Dali posted:

I would've sworn that lead guy is Tom Hardy. It's eerie.

Anyway, really good show.

:hmmyes: great value Tom Hardy aside,* the show is absolutely engrossing. Yabu is such a goon.

*and to be fair he's doing a fine job as the driven, catholic-hatin' Blackthorne, but it's so close to Hardy in Taboo that it's distracting

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

Is that Jarvis' actual accent? It's almost identical to the one employed by Russell Crowe as Cpt Aubrey RN.

It's definitely not his natural way of speaking. Here's a pretty good interview with him and Hiroyuki Sanada. Turns out Sanada has played multiple characters and historical figures of this same period throughout his career. Also since he was a producer for the series, he was able to insist on hiring qualified Japanese advisors and crew to make sure the authenticity is there. Very cool stuff.

I'd say that the gravel-y way his voice sounds is natural but yeah, his affected accent definitely sounds exactly like Crowe in M&C. I wonder if that's intentional, given the similarity in profession / lingo they'd employ.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 1, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Loving this show. I had to pause and look up the actor playing Rodrigues because I knew that voice and it was driving me nuts.

And I don't appreciate this "guyliner LOST" nonsense either. This is Batmanuel erasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu1cWaKTlt8

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

MrMojok posted:

I don’t mean to continue the :ninja: derail here, but I’ve seen you post in a lot of cineD threads, because I’m all over them too. And I know you’re somewhat of a cinephile, like me.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, I’d say essential Japanese ‘60s ninja movies are:

1) Castle of Owls (1963)
There is also a 1999 color remake of this one

Nice post! Just quibbling, this version is also in color. I happened to discover this one last night when looking for further Kenji Misumi films (for the rest of you, he did the first Zatoichi film along with several other entries in the series, most of the Lone Wolf & Cub films including all the best ones, and the original 1974 adaptation of The Last Samurai - his final film). Gonna watch it/Destiny's Son, the original Shogun pilot, and a bunch of other wuxia and chanbara this weekend. :ninja:

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Lone Wolf & Cub movies are must watch

Sorbus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 1, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sorbus posted:

Lone Wolf & Cub movies are must Swatch
As in you look at your Swatch® brand watch and wish they would end sooner?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Megazver posted:

His physical contrast to the Spanish is slightly important to the narrative.

Sure but goodness those contacts. He's good in the part and all but just hire a blue-eyed actor or something. Clearly it doesn't bug anyone else here so I'll clam up about it because otherwise the show is very good.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sorbus posted:

Lone Wolf & Cub movies are must watch

Wait are those real? I thought they were just like a fake thing Bob's Burgers invented.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Sure but goodness those contacts. He's good in the part and all but just hire a blue-eyed actor or something. Clearly it doesn't bug anyone else here so I'll clam up about it because otherwise the show is very good.

No you are 100% correct. They went through extreme pains to craft a visually stunning series of scenes, complete with period-precise costumes, props, backgrounds, etc and then the co-lead has distractingly bad colored contacts. I just don't understand that decision.

Two of my friends who are also watching the show independently made the same comments. You are definitely not alone on this, and it's unfortunate. Especially in today's industry where they can change that stuff in post production. If you want him to have blue eyes fine, but it looks like poo poo.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait are those real? I thought they were just like a fake thing Bob's Burgers invented.

Lone Wolf and Cub is real and it's a very famous manga/series of movies

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Very very real!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

No you are 100% correct. They went through extreme pains to craft a visually stunning series of scenes, complete with period-precise costumes, props, backgrounds, etc and then the co-lead has distractingly bad colored contacts. I just don't understand that decision.

Two of my friends who are also watching the show independently made the same comments. You are definitely not alone on this, and it's unfortunate. Especially in today's industry where they can change that stuff in post production. If you want him to have blue eyes fine, but it looks like poo poo.

Well that's good to know. It's usually the blue contacts too, because it's the pupil staying the same size in any lighting condition that makes all the difference and makes it super distracting.

I did wonder with their budget if they could've done it digitally because now when I see actors wear contacts I always think of Passion of the Christ of all drat things, but it's a 20 year-old movie where they made Caviezel's blue eyes brown digitally and they look really convincing to the point where I remember being blown away when I learned that he had blue eyes in real life. It's such a weird choice like is that really the best you can handle it for your amazing and high-quality prestige show?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The films are among the best chanbara ever made, especially the second, which was one of the two big influences on Big Trouble in Little China (the baddies in the big straw hats are right out of this movie), the other being Tsui Hark's Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain (which is equally incredible, wuxia loving rocks). The manga might be even better. I've read the first 2 omnibus collections out of 12 and they're as frame-perfect as comics get. Can't recommend either the films or manga highly enough.

Also it's very funny how the titular Lone Wolf is built like Jack Reacher in the manga. At least the Jack Reacher films got Tom Cruise, who might be short but is built; the Lone Wolf films cast a dude who's objectively just physically schlubby. Don't get me wrong, though; he absolutely owns the role.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
is lone wolf and cub the proto taken? just a regular CIA Agent / Shogun's Top Decapitator dad going mental because someone threatened his kids

e: lmao just looked up shogun assassin and i'd forgotten the tagline is 'meet the greatest team in the history of mass slaughter'

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah he’s got total dad bod but he’s an absolute wrecking crew, and it is awesome.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is lone wolf and cub the proto taken? just a regular CIA Agent / Shogun's Top Decapitator dad going mental because someone threatened his kids

In the first film Itto Ogami’s wife is murdered. This is done by his arch-nemesis, the Yagyu clan, who also place a funeral tablet on a shrine in his house, a tablet with the emblem of the Shogun. This implies that he wished/prayed for the death of the Shogun.

It’s all bullshit, he’s been set up, but he’s told he must commit seppuku. He decides hell nah, kills everyone confronting him, and then offers his son a choice: sword or ball.

If his son Daigoro chooses the sword, then he will walk the earth with his father, who’s going to be an assassin for hire. If he chooses the ball, then he’s chosen death.

It’s obvious which choice the child makes, and all their adventures begin here, as they travel up and down Japan taking assassination contracts, while the Yagyu clan try to hunt them both down.

Someone here said the films were all on Max. If you have that, they’re worth a watch!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
You should all join me and MrMojok on meifumadō, the demon path to hell

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was at work and watching TV when I saw the ad for this. I didn't know what it was at first, other than it was something set in feudal Japan. Then I saw "SHOGUN" at the end and I was in disbelief. I looked it up on my phone to verify, and I saw that, yes, it was a new adaptation of James Clavell's Shogun! :tviv:

I read the novel around eight years ago. Apart from helping me get through a rough patch I was going through, it got me interested in Sengoku-era Japan, and from there, it helped kicked off a lot of new interests for me.

I watched the 1980 miniseries not too long after finishing the novel (it's not as good as the book, but I still like it a lot).

Since it's been so long since I've read the book I've forgotten a lot of the sub-plots/side characters, so I know I'm not going to be able to make comparisons. However, there's one big determining factor for whether this new adaptation is good or bad: if they remember to cover the hornpipe (aka the best scene).

Entropic posted:

People have forgotten that film is not the only medium SHOGUN has been adapted into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ_GcrzB_Pg

Not only that, but Shogun also got adapted as a video game two times.

The first was a weird side-scrolling RPG/Adventure sort of thing that came out in 1986. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2bbr9jh2qI).

The second was a 1989 text adventure made by Infocom (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTMiVgVslM). It's actually how I first learned about the book, as I found the game while browsing through lists of abandonware games.

Jerusalem posted:

I would legit love to see an adaptation of Whirlwind, even if it feels so removed from everything else in the books apart from a couple of lines about the power struggle for control of the business empire.

I was wondering too if the success of this would lead to some additional adaptations.

I've picked up two of Clavell's other books: Tai-Pan and Noble House. Tai-Pan I tried to start reading a couple of years ago, but for whatever reason, I dropped it after the first couple of chapters. It wasn't bad; I think I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time. I've had it sitting on my nightstand just as a reminder.

Both books I know got adaptations. Tai-Pan got a film adaptation that I don't think did very well. Noble House got a mini-series, which just recently got a Blu-Ray release (https://shop.umbrellaent.com.au/products/noble-house-4-episodes-blu-ray-1988?_pos=1&_sid=bcee37f9d&_ss=r).

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's funny how popular this trope is. The Last of Us 2 features Ellie discussing a fake movie series she and Joel love: "Curtis and Viper," an adult secret agent/assassin with a young ninja ward.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Criminal Minded posted:

You should all join me and MrMojok on meifumadō, the demon path to hell

:haibrower:

Which one is where he literally goes to hell and fights his way through?

Criminal Minded posted:

It's funny how popular this trope is. The Last of Us 2 features Ellie discussing a fake movie series she and Joel love: "Curtis and Viper," an adult secret agent/assassin with a young ninja ward.

Lone Wolf and Cub had been cribbed by so many movies and shows. The Mandalorian became a Demon as well

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
So does FX cut the nudity from their broadcast....or have they finally broken that boundary? They aren't network.....so the FCC has no say in it......as far as I know. Cable networks have only been bound by what advertisers are comfortable with. And I'd think advertisers would be less sensitised by this stuff now.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

RestingB1tchFace posted:

So does FX cut the nudity from their broadcast....or have they finally broken that boundary? They aren't network.....so the FCC has no say in it......as far as I know. Cable networks have only been bound by what advertisers are comfortable with. And I'd think advertisers would be less sensitised by this stuff now.

There is nudity. Hulu and D+ want this show to BANG, so everything is on the table. Let the people see glorious Japanese nipples and asses. You will also see a Blackthorne butt as well.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So hey, for the serial killer goons out there, how awful is it to die from being boiled?

Do lobsters die instantly when they get thrown in the pot or is it horrible for them too? :ohdear:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phenotype posted:

So hey, for the serial killer goons out there, how awful is it to die from being boiled?

Do lobsters die instantly when they get thrown in the pot or is it horrible for them too? :ohdear:

As far as I know they die in a few seconds

It takes as much time for heat to penetrate an inch deep into lobster flesh as it does for humans. Because they’re small that’s almost instant death

Edit: I am not a serial killer

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 2, 2024

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Also, they started him off slow, didn’t they?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I mean, I've had just a couple of drops of full temperature boiling water splashed on my hand a couple of times when cooking stuff and it was probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. There's also all sorts of health and safety warnings posted around basically every hot tub in every swimming pool ever about not to stay in for longer than like 10 minutes because you could also just straight up die of heat stroke or over heating from regular old very hot, not at all boiling water.

Also from what's presented on the show, the water wasn't boiling when the dude was tossed in it because they JUST lit the fire under the cauldron right before he was thrown in. So it took a long rear end while to even get up to boiling temperature, let along for the dude to start feeling any real pain from the heat. So he got frog boiled to death basically.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Also, did 1600s Japan have any Joe Rogan-style health influencers who recommended drinking the resulting broth for its rejuvenative qualities?

I don't know why they don't simply get out of the pot, anyway. What are they gonna do, kill you?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, I've had just a couple of drops of full temperature boiling water splashed on my hand a couple of times when cooking stuff and it was probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. There's also all sorts of health and safety warnings posted around basically every hot tub in every swimming pool ever about not to stay in for longer than like 10 minutes because you could also just straight up die of heat stroke or over heating from regular old very hot, not at all boiling water.

Also from what's presented on the show, the water wasn't boiling when the dude was tossed in it because they JUST lit the fire under the cauldron right before he was thrown in. So it took a long rear end while to even get up to boiling temperature, let along for the dude to start feeling any real pain from the heat. So he got frog boiled to death basically.

Yama needed it for his VIBE

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Also, did 1600s Japan have any Joe Rogan-style health influencers who recommended drinking the resulting broth for its rejuvenative qualities?

I don't know why they don't simply get out of the pot, anyway. What are they gonna do, kill you?

They could remake the intro to Midnight Diner

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

I think his hands and feet were bound.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Phenotype posted:

This is just Medicine before a certain timeframe

Like, there are still people who practice cupping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This show is so good. Loving both the Japanese politics and the clueless English guy stumbling his way through it