Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Premiering February 27th, 2024 - FX's Shogun, a miniseries adaptation of James Clavell's classic novel set in feudal Japan.

Shogun depicts a fictionalized re-telling of the dawn of the Tokugawa Shogunate. The story revolves around an English sailor who is marooned in Japan, where he must adapt to a strikingly different set of social and cultural norms in order to survive. Upon being stranded, this foreigner becomes embroiled in an ongoing conflict between Japan's most powerful daimyos.

The novel was written in 1975 and achieved international success. It was adapted into a TV miniseries in 1980 starring Richard Chamberlain, Toshiro Mifune, Yoko Shimada, and John Rhys-Davies. The original miniseries earned critical praise and was nominated for numerous emmy awards, winning for Best Miniseries.

The 2024 FX series has already garnered attention for its period-accuracy, visuals, and quality. Fans of the novel have good reason to hope for fidelity to the source material, as Clavell's daughter serves as a producer for the show and has praised its adherence to the themes of the novel. It is set to premiere on Feb. 27th on both Hulu and FX, followed by weekly releases for the 10 part miniseries.

Cast:

Hiroyuki Sanada as Lord Yoshii Toranaga (Tokugawa Ieyasu)
Cosmo Jarvis as Pilot Major John Blackthorne (William Adams)
Anna Sawai as Toda Mariko (Hosokawa Gracia)
Tadanobu Asano as Kashigi Yabushige (Honda Masanobu)
Hiroto Kanai as Kashigi Omi (Honda Masazumi)
Takehiro Hira as Ishido Kazunari (Ishida Mitsunari)

Trailers:

"Final" Preview Trailer (Jan 2024)

First Preview Trailer (Nov 2023)

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've always been slightly concerned that the novels wouldn't live up to my memory of them if I re-read them, so a modern adaptation with a high budget is hopefully the next best thing!

Like the novel, I hope we spend as much time as possible with Toranaga over Blackthorne.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
As a big fan of the novel and someone who couldn't ever really get into the 1980 tv version, I am very much looking forward to this. The emphasis seems to be on the intrigue and cultural / political tension, which definitely sounds appealing. The visuals and set pieces look stunning, and I'm personally always up for historical fiction with good production values. The large ensemble cast and a 10 hour run time seem tailor made to give the story a balance of depth and cinematic grandeur. Early reviews seem very positive, so I'm just trying not to set the bar too high :D

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Do you reckon they kept in the scene where multiple Japanese women gasp at how huge Blackthorne's cock is?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looking forward to seeing one of my favorite scenes, where Blackthorne and his limited Japanese are introduced to the mother of the son of the previous Shogun, and he figures he should try his best to be flattering but keeps thinking he has hosed up because she keeps brushing off his compliments. The whole thing from the perspective of the Court is two utter geniuses clashing verbally, showcasing their skills at verbal wordplay to gain advantage and either corner her into a position where she must say something politically embarrassing or for her to counter him to the point she can politely disengage. Except Blackthorne had absolutely no loving idea of how everybody else is misinterpreting his intent, and the mother is fighting for her loving life trying to keep him at bay thinking he's somebody's secret weapon sent in to destroy her :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Please be good :pray:

Jerusalem posted:

I've always been slightly concerned that the novels wouldn't live up to my memory of them if I re-read them, so a modern adaptation with a high budget is hopefully the next best thing!

Like the novel, I hope we spend as much time as possible with Toranaga over Blackthorne.

Same, Shogun was one of the first "big" novels I read as a teenager and I enjoyed it a whole lot, but since then I've never quite dared to give it another try worrying it might not hold up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Please be good :pray:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hiroyuki Sanada has made an entire career by being 1 of 2 Japanese guys (the other being Ken Watanabe) that western audiences recognize, good for him.

I've read the book and enjoyed it, so I think this will be a good watch. The political scheming stuff is a lot of fun and some of the action scenes were great, I'm looking forward to seeing how it translates to TV. That said, as a Japanese-American person and a history buff I expect to roll my eyes at some of the "Real Japanese Values" they'll probably showcase. So just like the book, more or less.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is definitely room for criticism of the White Savior / Protagonist variety in the novel- hopefully there are more modern sensibilities at play that can address that, or at least hit a middle ground that minimizes the questionable stuff.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Hiroyuki Sanada has made an entire career by being 1 of 2 Japanese guys (the other being Ken Watanabe) that western audiences recognize, good for him.

I've read the book and enjoyed it, so I think this will be a good watch. The political scheming stuff is a lot of fun and some of the action scenes were great, I'm looking forward to seeing how it translates to TV. That said, as a Japanese-American person and a history buff I expect to roll my eyes at some of the "Real Japanese Values" they'll probably showcase. So just like the book, more or less.

Twilight Samurai ftw.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Do you reckon they kept in the scene where multiple Japanese women gasp at how huge Blackthorne's cock is?

I read it as a young lad and this and the sex toy fuckin are pretty much all I remember

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it looks like it's going to be in a mix of english and japanese which is probably going to cheapen it a lot but

on the other hand the trailer was pretty good so i'm in for the first episode at the least

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This book loving rules and it's been a while since I've been this pumped for a new show. Can't wait.

roomtone posted:

it looks like it's going to be in a mix of english and japanese which is probably going to cheapen it a lot but

on the other hand the trailer was pretty good so i'm in for the first episode at the least

I'm guessing that they will keep all of the Japanese from the novel and condense all of the European languages into All English All The Time. IIRC Blackthorne, despite being an Englishman, speaks very little actual English throughout the book - it's a lot of Dutch to his crew and Portuguese with the Jesuits he encounters. Mariko is also fluent in Portuguese(?) as part of her conversion to Catholicism.
E: mild broad spoilers I guess.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 28, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Episode 1 is available on Hulu as of now.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Just finished the first two episodes.

Disney and FX are about to have the world talking about feudal Japan like never before because that as epic.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I only had time to watch the first 20 minutes or so before a work meeting but if it's any indication, this is going to be really good.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I only had time to watch the first 20 minutes or so before a work meeting but if it's any indication, this is going to be really good.

This may reach peak hype levels of Game of Thrones.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

criticism of the White Savior / Protagonist variety in the novel

I'm not trying to say the book escapes this completely unscathed, but having read it relatively recently I don't think it's as bad on this count as a lot of people say. It's basically the story of blackthorne's white savior impulses getting utterly manipulated and exploited to the hilt by toranaga and his retinue, ultimately leaving him a broken husk.

The actual problem with reading the book today is of course the impressive variety of cringe sex stuff

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 28, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
IGN declares Shogun a masterpiece.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

IGN declares Shogun a masterpiece.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/shogun_2024

100% Critics Score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I read the novel last year for the first time and despite some criticisms I had that were mostly rooted in the era in which it was written, I was utterly locked in and engaged. I watched the first episode and was leaning forward the whole time. They cut remarkably few corners and the adherence to the events of the book so far was astounding to me. I look forward to the rest but I gotta watch it with my bros.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't think I've even heard of the book but just watched the first episode and it's pretty good! Having the white guy protagonist seems pretty necessary for the whole concept so hopefully so yeah let's see how it plays out.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I would've sworn that lead guy is Tom Hardy. It's eerie.

Anyway, really good show.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
he's definitely cribbing from hardy's role in taboo but that's not the worst place to start for someone relatively new

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Always meant to read the book, but haven't managed too yet.
Watched episode one last night, and will keep watching. Interesting show, and budget seems to be there.

Interesting use of languages, totally understand why they're using english for all the euro languages, but it would be nice if the subtitles were clear if they were talking english, Dutch, Portuguese or Spanish.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Good God, the boiling

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Wow

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo, watched the 1st episode and it's basically the world I saw in my mind when I read the book, absolutely loving incredible and goddamn if you can't see all the money they spent on it :stwoon:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Origami Dali posted:

I would've sworn that lead guy is Tom Hardy. It's eerie.

Anyway, really good show.

I was just about to come in here and complain about the Kirkland brand Tom Hardy.

Good show though.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo, watched the 1st episode and it's basically the world I saw in my mind when I read the book, absolutely loving incredible and goddamn if you can't see all the money they spent on it :stwoon:

lol dude me too. Like all the details are exactly how I imagined them. The cliff-side rescue in particular gobsmacked me in how close it was to my imagination.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yabu seems like one of the characters most improved in this adaptation. Really loving his actor, not who I would have ever envisioned for the part but he's great

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Okay anyone on the fence about watching this, start it immediately.

It’s great TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah just finished the second episode and it's killing me that I'm gonna have to wait a week for the next one, this show is incredibly good.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This is so loving good. Super high production values, cast all bringing their A game, completely bilingual production, some poor bastard getting his head chopped off early on for mildly irritating someone important.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Makes me want to reread the book after 15 years

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toranaga's little twitch of a smile after "Unless I win" was so loving great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Toranaga's little twitch of a smile after "Unless I win" was so loving great.

The start of a powerful bromance. God this shows good. Cosmo Jarvis is a perfect blend of Richard Chamberlain and Tom Hardy, I love it. It's hard to too John Rhys-Davis as Rodrigues, but I think Nestor Carbonell pulls it off.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The zen garden scene was incredible

Its like an alien fell to Earth and said hey guess what there’s an intergalactic war going on and these other aliens you’ve made contact with are planning to take over Earth and have secret bases on the moon ready to go. You can see Toranaga’s brain catch on fire when he learns this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Steve Yun posted:

The zen garden scene was incredible

Its like an alien fell to Earth and said hey guess what there’s an intergalactic war going on and these other aliens you’ve made contact with are planning to take over Earth and have secret bases on the moon ready to go. You can see Toranaga’s brain catch on fire when he learns this

It’s that and also the fact that his genius idea to plan way and have John stay in his quarters because he knew that if he prodded the Father with this information, he would get a deadly response like an assassin since one of the Lord’s is working with them. Now that the killer in question is dead, tensions are only going to overflow.

I can’t wait for next week's episode.