Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Azran posted:

Helldivers has absolutely stellar gameplay but what made me refund it was the very obfuscated matchmaker - I'm playing a coop game, stop making me manually search for half-empty games!

Well, that and the fact the game has no regional pricing :v:

did you miss the big quickplay button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Azran posted:

Helldivers has absolutely stellar gameplay but what made me refund it was the very obfuscated matchmaker - I'm playing a coop game, stop making me manually search for half-empty games!

Well, that and the fact the game has no regional pricing :v:

Can't help with the regional pricing but there is a quickplay option. You can also start a mission yourself and other people will matchmake in automatically.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
:downs: yup, never even noticed a quickplay button. It also took me like 5 games to notice there's a console where you can research new stratagems, I was very confused what the ingame currency/samples were for a bit there.

When I tried creating missions I would get at most one other person after 5-10 minutes but I assumed that was because everyone's playing the higher difficulties by now

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 1, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ShadowMar posted:

did you miss the big quickplay button

i thought that was broken in some way which was forcing everyone at launch to use the party finder instead

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i thought that was broken in some way which was forcing everyone at launch to use the party finder instead

most of the server issues are resolved by now

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Azran posted:

When I tried creating missions I would get at most one other person after 5-10 minutes but I assumed that was because everyone's playing the higher difficulties by now
Tons of players at all difficulties. If you're the host and land on the planet you can speed up other players joining by deploying the SOS beacon from your stratagem menu.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Node posted:

I've been asking myself lately, how many people are playing today some random old pile from 20 years ago. I went to Steamdb.info and typed in a few games. I thought it was cool to see that, around the world, there are 214 people playing Gothic 2: Gold right now. Cool! 6 people, in some random corner of the globe, playing Arx Fatalis. Neat! As I kept searching I got a little suspicious. Are there really 43 people playing Duke Nukem Forever right now? Do we know how accurate that number really is?

That number is reported directly by Steam so it's accurate unless you think Steam is actively lying.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol someone trying android market tactics on steam

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1763446944460947827

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1763446944460947827

So like... does it run a pirated copy of Helldivers 2 or something? Or are they banking on someone buying it and then not playing for 2 weeks so they can't refund it as soon as they try to play and see it isn't what they bought?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think the idea with it happening in the middle of the night before everything rolls over for the month on the west coast US is "gently caress it maybe they'll mistakenly pay us out for the game before we get banned with the automatic system"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They're trying a bunch of games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
how'd they manage to even change the listed publisher/dev?
can you just fill anyone's name out in those fields with no checking?

and yes clicking it leads to the 'legit' arrowhead publisher listing on steam

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
It's still in Early Access, but Stop Dead was a pretty cool Mirror's Edge/Neon White speedrunning game that I enjoyed during Next Fest and it's on sale for a ridiculous 90% off, making it just $1.50, so consider picking it up if it catches your fancy.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a scam, but man, it's so cheap I'm almost worried since you all are talking about these other games: can someone double-check? No idea why they'd do it for this game though, haha.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

claw game handjob posted:

I think the idea with it happening in the middle of the night before everything rolls over for the month on the west coast US is "gently caress it maybe they'll mistakenly pay us out for the game before we get banned with the automatic system"

quote:

Q. When can I expect to be paid every month?
A. We pay out by the 30th of the month following sales. For example, we will pay you for calendar February month sales by March 30th. It may take a few business days for the payment to post to your bank account. In that case, you may see the payment in your bank account during the first few days of April, following the example above.

i dont think they understand how steam deposits money then because there's a month long delay between sales and payment deposits lmao

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

FutureCop posted:

It's still in Early Access, but Stop Dead was a pretty cool Mirror's Edge/Neon White speedrunning game that I enjoyed during Next Fest and it's on sale for a ridiculous 90% off, making it just $1.50, so consider picking it up if it catches your fancy.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a scam, but man, it's so cheap I'm almost worried since you all are talking about these other games: can someone double-check? No idea why they'd do it for this game though, haha.

Not a scam.

The easy way you can check for dupes, incidentally: type the game's name into the search bar. You can tell by the first results if something's gone awry. Stop Dead only shows one hit for the name, whereas until a few minutes ago (because it looks like someone woke someone up and began cleaning house) Helldivers 2 gave 4 results, two of them duplicates "on sale".

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

lol

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

No-name indie games tend to be released with the 'Profile Features Limited' restriction in place, which limits how they can be shown on player profiles, disables trading cards and other such ecosystem fluff. It is also meant to prevent developers from changing the game's name after release (they can only do it by asking Valve). The only way to get rid of this to meet some invisible 'player engagement' metric and sell some copies, at which point the flag will get replaced with "Steam is learning", which is a much softer restriction.

Two months ago, this restriction on DO NOT SMILE (which is now Helldivers 2) was removed, which means the developers were free to mess with the store listing and tweak it.

I had no idea that you could just add whatever publisher or developer to a store listing, I thought it was managed by some sort of backend flagging system. At minimum you'd think that such a change would trigger a manual review by Valve instead of being automated?

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 1, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It took me so long to finally play Shadow Tactics but it is indeed good. Great, even. RIP the developer

I tend to be bad at stealth games but I like the more puzzly nature of this… even if that means fewer routes and solutions, there’s still just enough routing to keep it from being a straight line a-to-b, and no matter the routing I understand what I need to do 99% of the time

I feel like Shadow Mode wasn’t very well explained in the tutorial or demonstrated, so I’ve not really used it, even though I assume it’s a major gameplay mechanic.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

The 7th Guest posted:

Valve is going to utterly destroy this fool. poo poo like this is worth siccing the lawyer dogs on, just to set an example

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Node posted:

I've been asking myself lately, how many people are playing today some random old pile from 20 years ago. I went to Steamdb.info and typed in a few games. I thought it was cool to see that, around the world, there are 214 people playing Gothic 2: Gold right now. Cool! 6 people, in some random corner of the globe, playing Arx Fatalis. Neat! As I kept searching I got a little suspicious. Are there really 43 people playing Duke Nukem Forever right now? Do we know how accurate that number really is?

I fell down this exact same rabbit hole a couple of weeks ago. It's particularly fun to look at player numbers for old rear end (mostly) online shooters. Unreal Tournament 99 had roughly 30 ish people in game. I still play UT99 fairly regularly so I hopped into the game to have a look at the servers, and that was actually a bit of an underestimate. I suppose the Steam stats we have available wouldn't track people booting into something as old as UT99 from GOG or even just their old disc version though, right?

Still, I thought that was a pretty cool number for a 25 year old "dead" multiplayer game that is no longer commercially available or officially supported, and requires fan patches to get online.

It can also be quite a depressing exercise. I checked Jeff Minter's Polybius and that had zero people playing, which sucks because Polybius is awesome.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 1, 2024

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Wonder if the dev got hacked

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

boofhead posted:

Wonder if the dev got hacked

the "developers" released a shitton bunch of dogshit assetflip games back on the same day november for $50 each, got a bunch of fake blatantly AI generated reviews in december in order to bypass steam's "we're still learning about this game" filter, and then suddenly flipped the switch on all these games into looking like other more successful games all at once.

this was pre-meditated as gently caress lol.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
gotta respect the hustle tbh

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bumhead posted:

I fell down this exact same rabbit hole a couple of weeks ago. It's particularly fun to look at player numbers for old rear end (mostly) online shooters. Unreal Tournament 99 had roughly 30 ish people in game. I still play UT99 fairly regularly so I hopped into the game to have a look at the servers, and that was actually a bit of an underestimate. I suppose the Steam stats we have available wouldn't track people booting into something as old as UT99 from GOG or even just their old disc version though, right?

Still, I thought that was a pretty cool number for a 25 year old "dead" multiplayer game that is no longer commercially available or officially supported, and requires fan patches to get online.

It can also be quite a depressing exercise. I checked Jeff Minter's Polybius and that had zero people playing, which sucks because Polybius is awesome.

I haven't found a single game in my library that has zero players currently playing it yet. Finding one is like a game itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Didn’t that Platinum live service game from last year infamously have 0 players like two weeks after launch?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Node posted:

I haven't found a single game in my library that has zero players currently playing it yet. Finding one is like a game itself.

Really? I can find a bunch of them in my library.

And these are only the games that I have played myself and that aren't even bad.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, it's not hard. Most of the good, but niche point-and-clicks in my library have 0 players atm. (You play them for a few hours and you're done.)

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Node posted:

I feel like the more interesting game is finding an old multiplayer thing with like 2 people playing.

I hope those dudes are having the best loving time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bumhead posted:

I feel like the more interesting game is finding an old multiplayer thing with like 2 people playing.

I hope those dudes are having the best loving time.

That's exactly what I mean! Awesome for them.

Ok, I found one with zero players: Frozen Synapse. Good game too.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Node posted:

That's exactly what I mean! Awesome for them.

Ok, I found one with zero players: Frozen Synapse. Good game too.

Didn't Frozen Synapse require use of their servers that have since been turned off?

That game was rad in a way that none of the followups quite managed to scratch the same way.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

ShadowMar posted:

the "developers" released a shitton bunch of dogshit assetflip games back on the same day november for $50 each, got a bunch of fake blatantly AI generated reviews in december in order to bypass steam's "we're still learning about this game" filter, and then suddenly flipped the switch on all these games into looking like other more successful games all at once.

this was pre-meditated as gently caress lol.
I hope this prods Valve to finally turn off this worthless flood of garbage and rectify their stupid post-Greenlight decision.

If you believe in your game, then put up $1k (minimum) to have it on the storefront.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

I hope this prods Valve to finally turn off this worthless flood of garbage and rectify their stupid post-Greenlight decision.

If you believe in your game, then put up $1k (minimum) to have it on the storefront.

Or maybe poor people should also be allowed to have their game be released even if it might mildly annoy people that are too stupid to use filters.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Joe Man posted:

Putting up a paywall only keeps out honest people, scammers will just find a way to pay it using other people's money. See also: Twitter gold checkmarks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s different, that wasn’t meant to keep anybody out that was meant to charge a fee to prioritize spam messages

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Joe Man posted:

rich people definitely care more about the quality of their work :capitalism:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
gatekeeping indie devs by making them potentially lose money on their games seems like a crazy solution to the problem of steam having no moderation for its storefront. especially since indie games are basically the only good ones coming out these days in between nearly all AAA games being poo poo and/or regurgitated triple remasters/fake sequels.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

That’s different, that wasn’t meant to keep anybody out that was meant to charge a fee to prioritize spam messages

Sure but trying to get a different result with the same means doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

sirtommygunn posted:

Putting up a paywall only keeps out honest people, scammers will just find a way to pay it using other people's money. See also: Twitter gold checkmarks

Writing this on this very forum is pretty funny, you have to admit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

On the surface it's pretty funny, yeah, but the serious answer is that an SA account can't really be used to earn money, which is why it actually works as a (very mild) barrier.
If people could reasonably use their :10bux: SA accounts to earn :10bux::10bux: by spamming their NFT's or their OnlyFans accounts, or whatever, in here, they would've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Antigravitas posted:

There’s nobody honest or decent on here.