Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

does difficulty level affect agro radius/sensitivity at all? going stealth is very nice but i've done solo infiltration and had bugs walk feet from me without issue even in medium engineer armour

meanwhile my pubbie teammates in scout armour with shield and railgun loadouts are going loud on every patrol within two hundred meters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LazyMaybe posted:

"The distance enemies can spot you at is reduced by 30%" and it's not close

As someone who likes to sneak off and get objectives/samples, yeah.

Just wish the radar ping worked with spotting, but that might be a little OP

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Tried grenade launcher + supply pack and it's certainly fun when I remember to blow up all the bugs before they're in my face and I kill myself, which is most of the time. Not great against chargers but I notice hitting them in the butt with grenades seems to make them flinch, so I'll take it over anything else I have access to at the moment.

It is nice to be able to erase most bug patrols before they can summon a breach. Pairs great with a friend with a railgun and anti-big-stuff orbitals.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 1, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is the most fun multiplayer I’ve had fun years

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Had a drop with two people who brought mortar turrets to bug operations and it was absolutely terrifying.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sindai posted:

Had a drop with two people who brought mortar turrets to bug operations and it was absolutely terrifying.

These are a loving menace and all I could do was laugh when I commented on mortar turrets being a menace and the pubbie responded with "Oh poo poo that's what got you?"

Yes. They are the worlds #1 distributor of friendly fire.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Warmachine posted:

These are a loving menace and all I could do was laugh when I commented on mortar turrets being a menace and the pubbie responded with "Oh poo poo that's what got you?"

Yes. They are the worlds #1 distributor of friendly fire.

They're pretty good though in certain situations. I'll generally give a warning when I put them down to keep distance, and I only bring them on bot missions, and even then rarely.

But yeah, if there's a mortar about best to prioritize running away over shooting until you have a decent cushion. Every sentry can kill you easily, but the mortar is the only one that comes unseen from the sky like God's own vengeful hand

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Mortar turrets are khornite, they care not where the blood flows from, as long as it flows. :black101:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Sindai posted:

Tried grenade launcher + supply pack and it's certainly fun when I remember to blow up all the bugs before they're in my face and I kill myself, which is most of the time. Not great against chargers but I notice hitting them in the butt with grenades seems to make them flinch, so I'll take it over anything else I have access to at the moment.

It is nice to be able to erase most bug patrols before they can summon a breach. Pairs great with a friend with a railgun and anti-big-stuff orbitals.
Yeah what's nice is a lot of people are bringing Railgun or AC, so you bringing grenade launcher is so complimentary. Let those friends peel off that charger leg armor while you just unload grenades into patrols and swarms, and also pop them into bug holes and factory vents. These days for higher difficulty bugs I bring Grenade Launcher, Supply Pack, 500kg bomb, and Cluster Bomb. The 500 is mainly for Bile Titans and the latter is for extra mob clear on top of the grenade launcher.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
did they change up the difficulty somewhat? i sauntered my way to helldive without much issue, but i'm getting plastered on hard now!! and my beam drone is just suddenly blazing me constantly sometimes to the point of death

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 1, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
democracy officer frezzato
ship master nicholson
service technician bolson

none have eye patches on ses founding father of family values

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

my teammates now that I've unlocked the final hangar upgrade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN8aa-xuHu8

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Horizon Burning posted:

did they change up the difficulty somewhat? i sauntered my way to helldive without much issue, but i'm getting plastered on hard now!! and my beam drone is just suddenly blazing me constantly sometimes to the point of death

They upped the last two difficulties during a patch iirc.
Hmmmm
Oh it's the last 3!
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/553850/view/7862791756735138822

quote:

BALANCE & OTHER FIXES
Fix for Suicide, Impossible and Helldive missions being too easy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

BeAuMaN posted:

They upped the last two difficulties during a patch iirc.
Hmmmm
Oh it's the last 3!
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/553850/view/7862791756735138822

I was convinced they made it easier! Maybe people are just getting better at the game and providing better support

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

y'know what

the EAT kicks rear end. eat poo poo chargers

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

y'know what

the best part is at the end of a mission when the entire ao covered in half-used e.a.t. drops

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Eediot Jedi posted:

y'know what

the EAT is in contention for most feel-good first unlock in any game. eventually you might have other support weapons you like and stop bringing it but when you grab that as your first thing to fill those empty strategem slots starting out it absolutely slaps

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
EAT is great for early/mid tier consistent anti tank but at higher play levels doesnt give enough burst damage compared to recoilless or autocannon

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tentatively excited to eventually save up enough cash for the RR. An EAT minus the E sounds pretty fun, especially for more reliably killing Chargers and Hulks.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Darth Walrus posted:

Tentatively excited to eventually save up enough cash for the RR. An EAT minus the E sounds pretty fun, especially for more reliably killing Chargers and Hulks.

I need to get somebody to reload my RR for me because using it by yourself with the backpack is a miserable experience. It also has a ton of sway, even while crouched, even with the recoil armor, so if anyone is bothering you at all then you whiff your shot.

I tried it and went back to EATs but I’m not at the big boy difficulties yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Man I wish the RR was an actual upgrade over the EAT.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
The EAT is really good as a secondary weapon call-in. The 70 second cool-down along with it dropping with 2 rockets per pod makes it incredibly versatile. I've taken to running a grenade launcher and an MG or EAT/shield or supply pack/eagle air strike build lately and it's an incredibly solid support build that can also hold it's own in a pinch. Being able to lay down withering fire and let your heavier weapons work on more pressing threats.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
EAT is nice because it doesn't require a backpack slot commit so you can still run the shield backpack with it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Occasionally when my drop pod comes in I have absolutely no control over it. And thats annoying

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Rr needs two shots per reload

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ZeusCannon posted:

Occasionally when my drop pod comes in I have absolutely no control over it. And thats annoying

When there's tall mountains around it autopilots you to flat ground. Still annoying but that's why that's happening.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some friends want to try the game out. Apparently the nprotect game guard anticheat is nbd and not something I should care about?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

explosivo posted:

When there's tall mountains around it autopilots you to flat ground. Still annoying but that's why that's happening.

If you land in some tall mountains you'll bug through them so yeah i think it's trying to avoid that.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

space uncle posted:

I need to get somebody to reload my RR for me because using it by yourself with the backpack is a miserable experience. It also has a ton of sway, even while crouched, even with the recoil armor, so if anyone is bothering you at all then you whiff your shot.

I tried it and went back to EATs but I’m not at the big boy difficulties yet.

i have whiffed some amazing shots with RR, countless times i have narrowly missed that charger and instead one KO'd a teammate.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ihmemies posted:

Some friends want to try the game out. Apparently the nprotect game guard anticheat is nbd and not something I should care about?

Correct.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ihmemies posted:

Is it stupid a PVE game has anticheat? Yes

Is gameguard egregiously worse than any of the other mainstream anticheats like EAC, Battleeye or denuvo in terms of which access privilieges it has? No. People handwringing about kernel level access!!!! are handily ignoring the vast majority of DRM'd games like that all use anticheats that have similar privileges.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I really enjoy this game but I’m gonna have to stop playing for a while. I can’t get the game to be stable for the 40 minutes it takes to actually complete a mission; I keep getting disconnected from matches or just mysteriously, suddenly bounced back to my ship bridge with no warning or message. I have been level 19 for the last 2 days even though I’ve played multiple hours because I never get to see a mission complete. It’s extremely frustrating.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Fishstick posted:

Is gameguard egregiously worse than any of the other mainstream anticheats like EAC, Battleeye or denuvo in terms of which access privilieges it has? No. People handwringing about kernel level access!!!! are handily ignoring the vast majority of DRM'd games like that all use anticheats that have similar privileges.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Fishstick posted:

People cheating in a community focused PvE game with global goals is going to negatively impact the whole playerbase, so I can't agree that having anticheat in this PvE game is stupid.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
A full team of tesla turrets and arc throwers on an extermination mission is very fun, btw, I would highly recommend it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

apostateCourier posted:

People cheating in a community focused PvE game with global goals is going to negatively impact the whole playerbase

How would cheaters having an easier time in their games affect global objectives in a negative way for other players?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fishstick posted:

How would cheaters having an easier time in their games affect global objectives in a negative way for other players?

By throwing off the dev team's telemetry and making them underestimate how difficult a time the average pub is is having.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

apostateCourier posted:

People cheating in a community focused PvE game with global goals is going to negatively impact the whole playerbase, so I can't agree that having anticheat in this PvE game is stupid.

The devs are manually modifying the global goals anyway

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

Because it's annoying and probably fucks up their metrics with regards to how easy/hard an objective is for everybody else who isn't cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Fishstick posted:

I think it's dumb that this particular anti-cheat is allegedly more egregious than other anti-cheats and there's already reported cheaters. So the fact that they chose this particular anti-cheat didn't do much to prevent cheats from happening.

Also one of the reported cheats affects samples collected, so if you're in a game with someone who's cheating on samples then you might end up with hundreds of samples at the end of the match.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1aw7vvx/cheaters_ruined_my_experience_with_the_grind/
Now if you don't care about progression as part of your gameplay experience, then it matters less. But also you're in an awkward position where you have to report to support.