Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's that? Not familiar.

His son was terminally ill and Soavi stepped away from filmmaking for a lot of the 90s to take care of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

I watched The Church randomly on Tubi like 2 years ago and man, that is a crazy and fun movie. Very much in the same vein of Demons; wild stuff just happening, plot's not really important, just sit back and soak it in.

The church is technically demons 3! Originally lamberto was gunna direct but he passed and Soavi got it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Medullah posted:

Yeah I dropped off from RE games at 4, tried 5 and hated it and 6 just looked terrible so I was done with the franchise.

Then one night a friend noticed I had RE7 (got it cheap or free at some point) and I'd never played it, so we decided to pop it in and boom, I'm back to being a fan of the series. RE7 dropped most of the goofiness and went back to the horror roots.

I got into the franchise through the Jovovich movies and the first game I played was 5, so I don't understand what people complain about. The goofiness is Resident Evil.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

MacheteZombie posted:

The church is technically demons 3! Originally lamberto was gunna direct but he passed and Soavi got it.

Okay that makes a lot of sense, very cool!

Gripweed posted:

I got into the franchise through the Jovovich movies and the first game I played was 5, so I don't understand what people complain about. The goofiness is Resident Evil.

4 is my favorite, so I like a game that's like 60% spooks and 40% goofs. You can still have a sense of dread, but then you can suplex that dread and have its head explode. I know the older games were played a bit more straight, but they still absolutely have that B-movie charm to them between the dialogue and some of the monsters. 4 just amped it up a bit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The first game was already plenty goofy

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I never got into the Resident Evil games back in the day, I remember trying the original back on PS1 and not being able to get past the tank controls. I tried 7 a few years ago and got more into it, although I'm not a big fan of survival horror and got frustrated because I sucked at the combat bits so I didn't get super far.

I'm playing the RE2 remake right now though and really liking it. I'm still bad at it so I'm on the easiest difficulty, but it's fun. I've heard the RE3 remake is also good but super short, so I probably won't play that until it ends up on PS+. I have the RE4 remake lined up next instead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I refuse to call it Cemetary Man. Dellamorte Dellamore is already a perfect title. :colbert:

Cemetery Man is such a stupid title that i can't help but kind of love it. I'm assuming that they went with it to try and work the adapted-from-a-comic-book angle?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I love the casual film noir vibe of Dellamorte Dellamore. He is like a horror Sam Spade. Does the comic have that kind of tone?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Resident Evil 0 is one of the good ones

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm playing the RE2 remake right now though and really liking it. I'm still bad at it so I'm on the easiest difficulty, but it's fun. I've heard the RE3 remake is also good but super short, so I probably won't play that until it ends up on PS+. I have the RE4 remake lined up next instead.

The remake is perfectly fine and all, but if you enjoy it, you should try to go back and play the original version of RE4 at some point. Maybe not right away, since a lot of the beats are similar and all, but they definitely cut some content back on the remake and they lost a lot of the goofy camp humor, which is what made the original so great. It's possibly my favorite game ever, and I was not an RE fan beforehand. (It is also very different, in terms of mechanics, from the original PS1 games, so if you had issues with the tank controls and locked camera angles that won't be an issue for 4.)

Also, if you play RE4, you'll probably wanna watch Stuart Gordon's Dagon afterwards, or possibly vice versa. The whole vibe of the creepy wet Spanish village populated by human-looking monsters totally jumped out at me as being an influence, or possibly weird synchronicity, when I first watched it and it made me immediately want to go back and play RE4 again.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the resident evil 3 remake is good but its short and the story made a lot of changes it really should have just been a dlc to RE2 if you can get it on sale then go for it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if dagon didnt inspire resident evil 4 then it was one hell of a coincidence lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if dagon didnt inspire resident evil 4 then it was one hell of a coincidence lol

my friend contends that Alien Predators aka The Falling was the actual inspiration for RE4 and i for one agree with him

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well Dagon itself is based on The Shadow over Innsmouth, a Lovecraft story. It's been referenced a bunch of times over the years in various media.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Class3KillStorm posted:

The remake is perfectly fine and all, but if you enjoy it, you should try to go back and play the original version of RE4 at some point. Maybe not right away, since a lot of the beats are similar and all, but they definitely cut some content back on the remake and they lost a lot of the goofy camp humor, which is what made the original so great. It's possibly my favorite game ever, and I was not an RE fan beforehand. (It is also very different, in terms of mechanics, from the original PS1 games, so if you had issues with the tank controls and locked camera angles that won't be an issue for 4.)

Also, if you play RE4, you'll probably wanna watch Stuart Gordon's Dagon afterwards, or possibly vice versa. The whole vibe of the creepy wet Spanish village populated by human-looking monsters totally jumped out at me as being an influence, or possibly weird synchronicity, when I first watched it and it made me immediately want to go back and play RE4 again.

I've tried OG RE4 a couple times over the years (on Gamecube and later on PC) and had a hard time getting into it. The controls are definitely more intuitive but I remember them still feeling awkward to me. I think a lot of that was just not liking survival horror games, even though I know RE4 is considered more action-y. I probably never really gave it a fair chance.

and yeah Dagon rules, I've seen it a couple times but I'll revisit after playing through RE4

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Necronomicon(1993) also has a pretty good Shadow over Innsmouthish segment in it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Basebf555 posted:

Necronomicon(1993) also has a pretty good Shadow over Innsmouthish segment in it.

It's an underrated film.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O are we talking about Dagon?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Is this available on streaming anywhere? Every time I look for it I come up snake eyes.

Just watched Eden Lake the other day, had no idea Michael Fassbender was in a horror movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ah Eden Lake, a truly vile example of the blip microtrend of chavsploitation

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m going to try and watch cemetery man today. Everything I heard about it looks like 100% something that’s my jam.

I also lol bc I do remember Dylan dog dead of night. Movie looked like rear end

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Eden Lake is just a real bad time of a movie. Like when anyone talks about movies that feel actually cruel, Eden Lake is definitely one of those. It's also really hard to read it as anything but "working class people are all evil and violent and will murder you for no reason".

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 29, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Is this available on streaming anywhere? Every time I look for it I come up snake eyes.

Doesn't seem like it. When I watched it some years ago I'd obtained it via illegal means, which I don't do anymore.

There's a German import blu ray but I think that's about it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Going back to the RE3 remake: it's a fine survival horror game but very disappointing if you played the original because they had so much potential to make something outstanding. It could have been a quality open-world game where you have to run around solving puzzles while encountering a roaming Nemesis. Instead they made it a pretty linear title that's fine as it is but I kept thinking "what could could have been" the whole time.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ah Eden Lake, a truly vile example of the blip microtrend of chavsploitation

I remember when GBS had a brief obsession with them in like 2005.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think any film that's ever featured rural people being evil killers falls under that category but there's no difference using them in Wrong Turn, Hills Have Eyes, Eden Lake etc and having like evil priests or creepy looking guys be serial killers in movies. At some point you have to draw the line of offending groups of people or else pretty much the only horror villains would be nazis or non-humans.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

I think any film that's ever featured rural people being evil killers falls under that category but there's no difference using them in Wrong Turn, Hills Have Eyes, Eden Lake etc and having like evil priests or creepy looking guys be serial killers in movies. At some point you have to draw the line of offending groups of people or else pretty much the only horror villains would be nazis or non-humans.

i think at least in the case of Eden Lake you would have to entirely divorce the film from the context in which it was released for this to apply.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think at least in the case of Eden Lake you would have to entirely divorce the film from the context in which it was released for this to apply.

I thought Eden Lake was a miserable and cruel film without much to say anyway

What was the context of the release?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Doltos posted:

I find you need to have them being really grotesque to the point where if you push an inch further it becomes parody.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Eden Lake is just a real bad time of a movie. Like when anyone talks about movies that feel actually cruel, Eden Lake is definitely one of those. It's also really hard to read it as anything but "working class people are all evil and violent and will murder you for no reason".

And this is an English film you say? I’m shocked. Truly. How out of character.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished 1963's "Challenge the Devil" and it's neck and neck with that Japanese schoolgirls fighting ghosts/monsters movie for worst movie I have ever seen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Movies like TCM or Hills Have Eyes at least deal with isolated families of killers. The other people in their communities are as terrified or horrified by them as anyone else. You could say that there’s a broader pattern but individually they don’t seem like they’re saying anything. But Eden Lake is saying something and I heard it even not knowing the cultural context of when and where it was made.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

From a discussion on horror my friends were having:

"Do you not think jump scares are a bit cheap?"

"Yes. But so is a doner kebab, and I love them too."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Doltos posted:

I thought Eden Lake was a miserable and cruel film without much to say anyway

What was the context of the release?

There was a big moral panic about "hoodies" and "chavs" where there was seen to be a lumpenprole underclass that were essentially feral, that led to the introduction of stuff like Anti-Social Behaviour Orders, which were essentially legal penalties for daring to be working class in open view.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

See also 'Harry Brown', aka chav Death Wish, in which Sean Harris plays a drug dealer who might as well be a literal demon.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

And also Cieran Foy's Citadel

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Jedit posted:

From a discussion on horror my friends were having:

"Do you not think jump scares are a bit cheap?"

"Yes. But so is a doner kebab, and I love them too."

Jump scares aren’t inherently cheap, they are just frequently used in a cheap way. Jump scares that are just a loud noise out of nowhere are lazy, good ones where the film properly builds up to them can be super effective and earned. You tend to see a lot of cheap bad ones though because they are hard to pull off well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Easy example that's always cited of how good a junpscare can be with a bit of craft is That One Jumpscare from Exorcist 3.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i think one of my favorite jump scares (though i hate them) was in BioShock where you just turn around and there's a guy there. no loud noise nonsense.

vv also a favorite. i just love it follows in general vv

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 1, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hard to beat the tall guy in It Follows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think you need a "holy poo poo!" factor that goes beyond just the loud noise. Like in the famous one from Exorcist III, a big part of why it's good is because it's this person in a bizarre outfit walking up behind someone with a giant pair of shears in their hand. You're brain doesn't quite know what to make of it.

Same thing with my personal favorite jump-scare, from Candyman. Sure, you jump from the loud noise initially but the gigantic hook hand swiping around through the mirror keeps the moment going as you process what you're seeing and how scary it is. It's not just a stupid cat jumping out from behind a door or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qnJA-muY4E