Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I have to say, I'm disappointed that they opted to use 3D full motion video for a lot of the more dramatic scenes in Reload that were 2D anime cutscenes in the PS2 versions of Persona 3. The art could definitely be rough in the older versions, and it's not like the new scenes look bad by any means, but the anime scenes during the dark hour were stylized in a way that just looked so much better and hit way harder. Also RIP to Yukari's mullet.

the two moments so far that really benefitted from the strange 2D cutscenes are the opening persona awakening Thanatos ripping out of Orpheus and the crucification scene.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

fadam posted:

Can I sell my old weapons and armor guilt free?

No one reacts if you sell Mitsuru's boots so why not. They even complement your supply managing skills.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I need a normal Nihil Blade for an Elizabeth request but I used all of mine before getting this request and even running floors 72-90 when I go to Tartarus seem to get every material except that one. Is there any other place besides there and the reward from another quest to get that or do I have to hope I get lucky in one of my Tartarus runs and just do those floors every time I go?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/starlinkMan/status/1761755833359126680

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

finished p3r. ultimate opinion is that they overdid it on some of the hangout/group bonding scenes they added, like most modern persona rereleases. some more isnt a bad idea but idk, the fact that the group got so few moments to chill made stuff like the school trip or them just getting a chance to eat together feel more special. making pancakes with everyone twice a week kinda kills that vibe and flattens the tone into being similar to p4/p5

still thought it was pretty good tho, and some of the changes (like giving takaya any screentime at all) were good

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just finished it myself as well. Neat touch that the main menu changes once you have a cleared game save.

I'm ultimately of two minds, on the one hand in terms of "how did they do in remaking the original P3" I think it's a really solid effort on all fronts, they bumped things up very well on all the various visuals/sound fidelity aspects while also adding in enough new gameplay spice with the new hangouts, fancier Tartarus, new mechanics, etc to make things feel really fresh. On the other hand though I feel like the game kind of skews too close to a true 1:1 remake in some aspects: in particular it carries over some very easily fixable flaws from the original like some S.Links being delayed way too late into the game, night slots being worthless past a certain point, and December/January feeling hella empty. It also feels like they didn't update certain things to reflect the new gameplay elements they added: theurgy in particular is absolutely broken past a certain point and the the final boss gauntlet was piss easy between theurgy, full party control, and one more's. Outside the very early game there's basically one hard fight and it's Elizabeth and that's only because it's essentially a long memorization puzzle where if you gently caress up at any point it just says "lol you die."

I also feel like there was a chance to update the old S.Links to be a little more interesting, particularly the female party members. All the male party members get new hangouts that are way better written than the legacy party S.Links with Yukari, Mitsuru, etc to the point that it actually stands out. Like you legit work through Ken, Junpei, and Akihiko's core issues through their new hangouts meanwhile Yukari is still like "oh hey let's go on some tepid shopping dates oh no I hate my mom because she wants to remarry, woe is me" and Fuuka's still "oh I can't cook because aslsdhfls please taste test my bentos for me MC-kun."

It was good though, don't think I'm ever going to be inclined to do another playthrough but for what it was I enjoyed a chance to revisit P3 in a modern context and if they put out The Answer DLC I will give it a shot. Also what new writing was present genuinely elevated my expectations for an eventual P6.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh junpei's one thing but working through ken and akihiko's core issues felt so forced. like i straight up dont buy that akihiko would say all that to the protag.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sydin posted:

Just finished it myself as well. Neat touch that the main menu changes once you have a cleared game save.

I'm ultimately of two minds, on the one hand in terms of "how did they do in remaking the original P3" I think it's a really solid effort on all fronts, they bumped things up very well on all the various visuals/sound fidelity aspects while also adding in enough new gameplay spice with the new hangouts, fancier Tartarus, new mechanics, etc to make things feel really fresh. On the other hand though I feel like the game kind of skews too close to a true 1:1 remake in some aspects: in particular it carries over some very easily fixable flaws from the original like some S.Links being delayed way too late into the game, night slots being worthless past a certain point, and December/January feeling hella empty. It also feels like they didn't update certain things to reflect the new gameplay elements they added: theurgy in particular is absolutely broken past a certain point and the the final boss gauntlet was piss easy between theurgy, full party control, and one more's. Outside the very early game there's basically one hard fight and it's Elizabeth and that's only because it's essentially a long memorization puzzle where if you gently caress up at any point it just says "lol you die."

I also feel like there was a chance to update the old S.Links to be a little more interesting, particularly the female party members. All the male party members get new hangouts that are way better written than the legacy party S.Links with Yukari, Mitsuru, etc to the point that it actually stands out. Like you legit work through Ken, Junpei, and Akihiko's core issues through their new hangouts meanwhile Yukari is still like "oh hey let's go on some tepid shopping dates oh no I hate my mom because she wants to remarry, woe is me" and Fuuka's still "oh I can't cook because aslsdhfls please taste test my bentos for me MC-kun."

It was good though, don't think I'm ever going to be inclined to do another playthrough but for what it was I enjoyed a chance to revisit P3 in a modern context and if they put out The Answer DLC I will give it a shot. Also what new writing was present genuinely elevated my expectations for an eventual P6.

You said you have no real interest in replaying it but what is your view of P3 or P3P? Do you replay those?

It just feels like that is the ultimate mark of a remake's worth. Do you enjoy it more than the original or are you just kinda "it's okay" on all versions of P3?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ I've played P3 and P3P (FeMC) each once, watched an LP of FEZ, and now played Reload. Meanwhile I've played P4 twice and P5... four times I think between vanilla and Royal. Something about P4/P5 makes leaves me wanting to dive in again after beating it, but P3 has never really done that to me. When I say I don't want to replay it that's not really a knock against Reload, most just my vibe with P3. I don't even think it's a bad thing persay: I think a part of it is that P3's ending hits way harder than 4 or 5. To your other question I definitely enjoyed Reload more than P3 or Portable.

Endorph posted:

tbh junpei's one thing but working through ken and akihiko's core issues felt so forced. like i straight up dont buy that akihiko would say all that to the protag.
Yeah that's fair, but Akihiko's kinda always been in a weird spot to cater to the player imo. Like at the start of the game he's the defacto "leader" of SEES in terms of fighting shadows but then after getting sidelined for a couple months with injury responds to the player taking his place with "yeah actually you're pretty good so sure you take the lead" which is not really fitting with his characterization as somebody who has a pathological need to push himself to the limit and be the best.

I liked Ken's new stuff even if it was kinda corny. His last link scene where you fight on the roof and he manages to "win" because the player gets distracted with the other guys cheering him on was fun. It's not super deep or anything but in the context of Ken being a literal grade schooler trying to find some closure and validation I thought it worked.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 26, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I was sooo close to maxing all the S-Links in my first run, just making my daily choices as I'd like and maximizing my Tartarus runs.

The only remainder that didn't get finished was Aigis, whose S-link was sacrificed to finish Mitsuru and Yukari's, with about only 4-5 ranks on it before the ending is here.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

Yeah that's fair, but Akihiko's kinda always been in a weird spot to cater to the player imo. Like at the start of the game he's the defacto "leader" of SEES in terms of fighting shadows but then after getting sidelined for a couple months with injury responds to the player taking his place with "yeah actually you're pretty good so sure you take the lead" which is not really fitting with his characterization as somebody who has a pathological need to push himself to the limit and be the best.

I don't know if that's true. It seems more like he was never really in a leadership position. Mitsuru was the one in charge of Classic SEES and he never seemed to object to that. He wants to be the best at fighting, but doesn't display any interest in being in charge. If anything, less responsibility means more time to focus on that.

of course, this does mean he should spend the next several months obnoxiously forcing himself into the party every time anything important happens but like, that would be annoying

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Neeksy posted:

I was sooo close to maxing all the S-Links in my first run, just making my daily choices as I'd like and maximizing my Tartarus runs.

The only remainder that didn't get finished was Aigis, whose S-link was sacrificed to finish Mitsuru and Yukari's, with about only 4-5 ranks on it before the ending is here.

This is almost exactly where I’m at except I’m hopefully sacrificing the student council guy instead of Aegis. They should have just had her social link available at night, that would have killed two birds with one stone (because there is basically nothing to do at night if I’m not going to Tartarus)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Adult Akihiko cooks and eats with his gloves on.

(Trinity Soul isn't the worst thing, but it's very skippable. And the Persona element is arguably the weakest part).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6plVf2T6AOo

I'M IN THE HOUSE LIKE CARPET

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

DC Murderverse posted:

This is almost exactly where I’m at except I’m hopefully sacrificing the student council guy instead of Aegis. They should have just had her social link available at night, that would have killed two birds with one stone (because there is basically nothing to do at night if I’m not going to Tartarus)

I ended up liking Odagiri near the end of his S.Link, and his ending is pretty nice. he's quitting student council and instead of government work he wants to become a teacher because he feels that a public with access to good education in both heart and mind are what society needs, rather than reform imposed by authority figures

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i didn't realize that you got persona unlocks from the mini s-links too and already missed one

oh well

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

cock hero flux posted:

of course, this does mean he should spend the next several months obnoxiously forcing himself into the party every time anything important happens but like, that would be annoying
I mean he tries but Mitsuru keeps telling him no :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

finished p3r. ultimate opinion is that they overdid it on some of the hangout/group bonding scenes they added, like most modern persona rereleases. some more isnt a bad idea but idk, the fact that the group got so few moments to chill made stuff like the school trip or them just getting a chance to eat together feel more special. making pancakes with everyone twice a week kinda kills that vibe and flattens the tone into being similar to p4/p5

still thought it was pretty good tho, and some of the changes (like giving takaya any screentime at all) were good

I think, at least so far I'm just passed the tank fight, they've kept them like..impersonal enough that it hasn't fallen into p4/5 territory yet. You study together and feel friendly enough but it's not like in later games where they don't seem to function without you around.

Like I really dig the second Junpei link scene where he buys a watermelon cause he feels bad for the little orphan boy who didn't get to go on vacation with them and Junpei let's his emotional guard down about hte bat and the most anyone says is "Hey man, let's not use that bat then."

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think, at least so far I'm just passed the tank fight, they've kept them like..impersonal enough that it hasn't fallen into p4/5 territory yet. You study together and feel friendly enough but it's not like in later games where they don't seem to function without you around.

Like I really dig the second Junpei link scene where he buys a watermelon cause he feels bad for the little orphan boy who didn't get to go on vacation with them and Junpei let's his emotional guard down about hte bat and the most anyone says is "Hey man, let's not use that bat then."

it was a ftw scene

although the single charm point level up at the end was almost insulting lol. id rather not have anything at that point!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, the poster who told me about Blade of Fury + crit boosts a while back wasn't joking, that poo poo is ridiculous. Almost always seems to crit, even against single targets (if you have Revolution active).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Turns out Trinity Soul had its own secret Aigis :smithfrog:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Does Koromaru actually want Tempest Slash over Getsu-ei, feels like in almost every relevant scenario that Getsu-ei is more consistent.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Depends on your preference really, but if consistency is what you're about then Getsu-ei is probably the better move. I've noticed that Multi-hit moves are all-or-nothing when it comes to critical hits in this game, so it's not like Tempest Slash has crit fishing as an advantage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does Koromaru actually want Tempest Slash over Getsu-ei, feels like in almost every relevant scenario that Getsu-ei is more consistent.

In theory it would be better if you were using him on days well away from the full moon.

In practice you are going to be using him during or near the Full Moon roughly 100% of the time so there's no reason.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How strong is "Getsu-ei on or near full moon" vs a Heavy or higher damage single-target physical ability?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

How strong is "Getsu-ei on or near full moon" vs a Heavy or higher damage single-target physical ability?

The actual numbers are somewhat obsfucated but basically Getsu-Ei is a Medium attack and the Full Moon bonus goes to 1.5 at full moon, so at maximum strength it is roughly as good as a Heavy attack. One of the annoying things about Persona is that (this is extremely not accurate but rough) that any given damage 'strength' is actually a range and there's no good way to test beyond just constant experimentation.

VERY roughly: Sword/Slash skills are weakest but have the highest crit multiplier, Strike skills are the strongest but have the lowest crit multiplier, and PIerce skills are somewhere in the middle.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 1, 2024

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

After years of people telling me that Persona 3 is the best Persona I can now say I have played it and it is, in fact, not the best persona. Its kind of wild how none of these games end particularly well, though. They should probably figure that out.

It does have a dog in it though and that is rad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the end is the best part of p3

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

the end is the best part of p3

because you don't have to play it anymore?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona 3's ending is easily the strongest part of the whole thing

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

THE ARCANA IS THE MEANS BY WHICH ALL IS REVEALED

The ending might be strong, but the final boss fight is just tedious.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm less talking about the A plot, and more the month leading up to it. I was expecting more comradery and stuff happening and less just waiting for the potential end of the world

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm less talking about the A plot, and more the month leading up to it. I was expecting more comradery and stuff happening and less just waiting for the potential end of the world

haven't played the remake yet, but I remember in FES at least that melancholy vibe for that whole section was pretty great

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

That is literally the reason why p3 is so good lmao bro.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I'm not a big P3 fan but the last month of the game has fantastic atmosphere, the late game mood of 4 and 5 felt lame in comparison.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Paul Zuvella posted:

After years of people telling me that Persona 3 is the best Persona I can now say I have played it and it is, in fact, not the best persona. Its kind of wild how none of these games end particularly well, though. They should probably figure that out.

It does have a dog in it though and that is rad.

Eh, nah.

After Reload, it’s 3 > 5 > 4 for Nu Persona easily

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The biggest weakness of P3 is definitely its city. Just feels way smaller and less coherent than 4 or 5's. Like there's just this handful of disconnected little places to visit, two of which are train stations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I also finished Reload the other day and enjoyed it but it reinforced for me that 5 is probably my favorite of the last three. For me it basically goes

Plot: 5 > 3 > 4
Characters: 5 > 4 > 3
Soundtrack: 5 > 3 > 4
Setting: 4 > 5 > 3 (Tatsumi Port Island is easily the weakest part of 3, there are a lot of cool places in 5 even if they're just replicating a lot of touristy stuff)
Dungeons: 5 > 4 > 3

I like the endings of 3 and 5. 4 is the only one where I feel like the (original) true last boss and ending were a little anticlimactic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Paul Zuvella posted:

The vibes are cool but there’s absolutely nothing to do during that final month so you just end up spending nights going to the arcade which is just weird on a number of levels

I think they could have solved two problems (nothing to do at night during the last month and school SLs piling up when the rest are done way before the end) by just having the Aegis SL happen at night. You live together, shouldn’t be that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I spend my last month nights on the computer dating app