Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

It's crazy we haven't seen the 30MM AC kits yet, nor any of the new ones Kotobukiya has supposedly been working on. They've been putting out some reprints of their older ones in the meantime, but dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Armored Core Sisters

Ayre, Allmind, and Carla!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

chiasaur11 posted:

Ayre, Allmind, and Carla!

You spelled Rusty wrong, buddy.

(i call your mom allmind because she exists for all mercenaries)

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务
Welp my backlog doubled in a single month.

I decided to try out RG Gunpla for the first time, and since I just finished marathoning SEED and SEED Destiny, I decided to start with the Strike Freedom (not a v. good choice as someone would later tell me) and the Hi-Nu, which just so happened to be available at my local shops.

Then by some stroke of luck, while I was chatting in my local gunpla group I mentioned hoping for an Advance of Zeta kit reprint (TR-6 Hazenthley II Rah, a Woundwort variant, which aggrevatingly is a P-Bandai kit), and just so happened that someone in chat had a spare copy of it and was willing to sell it to me.

Lastly, just today a friend came back from Japan with the RG Sazabi and Freedom as a gift. Go figure.

I'm really tempted to start with the Hazenthley first, although I am tempted to get one more Hrududu II for six guns on the drat thing. (assuming I can find one, considering that all AoZ stuff is P-Bandai)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deviant posted:

You spelled Rusty wrong, buddy.

(i call your mom allmind because she exists for all mercenaries)

Goddamn, that's as brutal as a Songbird strike! :stonklol:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

In unrelated news, let us never speak of 1/144 Unicorn Gundam's arms again.

Under penalty of colony drop.

I will be very happy when I am done with this kit, as much as i love my psycho frame son

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 29, 2024

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Are resin conversions sort of a rolling window of availability? Starting to look into them and wondering if they are generally continuously produced or if they are single run affairs?

For background, I guess I’d be interested in medium to better reputation conversions for mainstream/widely-made kits that are still in stores, not like some total garage produced kit for some obscure model.

Thinking of stuff like the MG or MG Ver Ka type base kits like Sinanju, Sinanju Stein, Sazabi, Nu, Hi-Nu, Barbatos etc.

In addition to that list of various-aged kits, I want to know if there will be a limited window for parts/upgrades for the upcoming Sinanju Stein Narrative Ver Ka, for instance. If it’s really a “you had to be there,” here’s a good opportunity for me to try to get in on the process. I’d rather pull the trigger and have something for the future.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finshed my EVA 08a yesterday, yellow is still a nightmare to paint but the rest went pretty smooth. One day I'll have a place to take photos instead of where I finished building it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

it'd better be more stuff about their armored core stuff or i'm gonna riot.

in 1/144 scale.

Pretty small kits if they were in that scale. Most ACs are half the height of 30MM mechs. You'd want 1/72 for maximum compatibility with the basic kits.

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务

uwaeve posted:

Are resin conversions sort of a rolling window of availability? Starting to look into them and wondering if they are generally continuously produced or if they are single run affairs?

For background, I guess I’d be interested in medium to better reputation conversions for mainstream/widely-made kits that are still in stores, not like some total garage produced kit for some obscure model.

Thinking of stuff like the MG or MG Ver Ka type base kits like Sinanju, Sinanju Stein, Sazabi, Nu, Hi-Nu, Barbatos etc.

In addition to that list of various-aged kits, I want to know if there will be a limited window for parts/upgrades for the upcoming Sinanju Stein Narrative Ver Ka, for instance. If it’s really a “you had to be there,” here’s a good opportunity for me to try to get in on the process. I’d rather pull the trigger and have something for the future.
A lot of Resin stuff is basically ad hoc production as and when the maker does it. For the ones that are 'established', they work in the same way ala a Bandai production line, with far more deviance in availability, but for those produced by smaller scale workshops they most likely do single digit production runs, yeah.

Ultimately the bigger concern is whether you can access those kits in the first place - for those in Asia its as easy as reaching out on certain e-commerce platforms, but if you are in North America or Europe you will probably have to check in with your local retailer. Another option is just to get files and ask someone with a resin printer to do it for you, but that's just as tricky.

Can't really answer the question about the Sinanju, but generally I see conversions for older kits around all the time. But who knows.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Another concern is that unlike Bandai's fancy aluminum molds, the molds for resin are usually made with silicone and have pretty limited durability. The mold degrades with every use so they can only make so many castings in each run. So even if they're "pro" resin kits made by a big company like Volks instead of independent hobbyists, they are still gonna have to do limited runs and can't just keep pumping out production. (In fact the section on their site for FSS garage kits is currently totally empty, with nothing for sale.) If they wanna re-run a kit they'll have to fish out the original master out of storage and make a new set of molds from it.

e: Volks' jp site is cooler because if you search for resin kits it shows all the ones that aren't currently available too

Since many resin kits aka garage kits are ad hoc and one run only, your only option after the initial sale is to buy from a reseller or to get it from a recaster like e2046 or GK-M. Basically they buy original resin kits, make new molds from those parts instead of the original master, and use them to make "pirate" kits. Beware both of those stores are :nws: since most of the garage kit business is anime titty figures and not cool robots.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 1, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HLJ's got an interesting new release this month;

Did you bring... the stuff?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm tempted to buy that for my Gundam Build cosplay, but that's not what anybody except the Meijin's support crew used for their gunpla.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
“What’s in the case?”

Tom Cruise opens it, revealing a completely built, painted, decaled, panel-lined PG Unleashed RX-78-2

“Doom.”

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Back when I had to move, my wife and I wrapped all our gunpla in aluminum foil because it's what we had on hand to keep them from scratching each other. It looked like we had a huge storage tote full of burritos.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

“What’s in the case?”

Tom Cruise opens it, revealing a completely built, painted, decaled, panel-lined PG Unleashed RX-78-2

“Doom.”

Puts a different context on him making a bunch of karate noises while playing with it in the following scene.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 1, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I just moved recently and I used one of the medium sized boxes, carefully put the MG psycho zaku in it, and surrounded it with an inner layer of those plastic inflated things and then packing peanuts. even then I'm kind of amazed I got it moved and back on display intact

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
...I actually ordered two of the cases, figure it'll be a decent way to secure some spare kits.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
drat that blows about the resin availability. I’ll check to see if my local place is plugged in enough to help. I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here but even the Venn diagram of kits that I like, kits that are reviewed as not a build disaster, kits with decals/photo etch available is already pretty frustrating as I’m starting to consider myself an intermediate and want to start pushing beyond snap build/panel lining/waterslides/topcoating. Some place had one left of a conversion that got bought out of stock as I was researching, I should have just bought it. I haven’t done a full-on paint job yet, which is probably next, and arguably I should find out if I have the skills and patience before attempting a resin conversion, but I’d like to get a kit or two and squirrel it away before I get to the point where I’m ready for it and suddenly I can’t go out and just order one.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i feel like there's gotta be a cheaper padded suitcase somewhere

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

uwaeve posted:

drat that blows about the resin availability. I’ll check to see if my local place is plugged in enough to help. I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here but even the Venn diagram of kits that I like, kits that are reviewed as not a build disaster, kits with decals/photo etch available is already pretty frustrating as I’m starting to consider myself an intermediate and want to start pushing beyond snap build/panel lining/waterslides/topcoating. Some place had one left of a conversion that got bought out of stock as I was researching, I should have just bought it. I haven’t done a full-on paint job yet, which is probably next, and arguably I should find out if I have the skills and patience before attempting a resin conversion, but I’d like to get a kit or two and squirrel it away before I get to the point where I’m ready for it and suddenly I can’t go out and just order one.

As someone whose does resin kits, You should consider painting some regular kits first.

The reason I am saying this is that resin kits require a TON of masking due to them having way less part separation. There is very little room for error if you screw up masking or painting. If you screw up painting a regular gundam kit piece, it's not a huge deal, you just strip it and can quickly paint it that one color. With resin you have to do all that masking and detail painting again.

if you really like a resin kit, pick it up. They often do not go into reproduction or at the very least, can be difficult to find again. I am very glad that I picked up a pg exia resin conversion kit because the drat this is now impossible to find.

Don't be afraid to try them though. They aren't as intimidating as many modellers think and if you put in the time they look goddamn incredible.

As for your specific resin conversions you're looking at do you have pictures or links to the one's you're looking at? I can give you a rough estimate for quality as I've learned a decent amount about different resin kit makers.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 1, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

me: i will never build another transformer as long as i live

also me:

"heehee he so angy"

now he needs his armory and stickers and i dont know if i'll panel line this one

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 1, 2024

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Monaghan posted:

As someone whose does resin kits, You should consider painting some regular kits first.

The reason I am saying this is that resin kits require a TON of masking due to them having way less part separation. There is very little room for error if you screw up masking or painting. If you screw up painting a regular gundam kit piece, it's not a huge deal, you just strip it and can quickly paint it that one color. With resin you have to do all that masking and detail painting again.

if you really like a resin kit, pick it up. They often do not go into reproduction or at the very least, can be difficult to find again. I am very glad that I picked up a pg exia resin conversion kit because the drat this is now impossible to find.

Don't be afraid to try them though. They aren't as intimidating as many modellers think and if you put in the time they look goddamn incredible.

As for your specific resin conversions you're looking at do you have pictures or links to the one's you're looking at? I can give you a rough estimate for quality as I've learned a decent amount about different resin kit makers.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm fine with the mechanics of actually laying down a uniform coat paint at this point with some priming and topcoating practice, but yes the planning and masking for literally all the color separation is going to be what I should probably try to see if I can A) do it and B) not hate my life while doing it. I still have some testing to do to get a full-up "paint stack" that all plays nice together. Despite doing my research and following rules of thumb I've still been bitten/surprised by how some solvents interact with cured/dried films or different panel lining stuff, gundam markers, decals etc. I have a ton of like trainer HG/EG kits I'll goof off with trying single things on, but combining things I haven't gotten a full on workflow for yet.

I sort of figure uniform paint/masking is my next step, then moving on to the sort of meat and potatoes of airbrushing with preshading etc.

I guess a paint question for you or anyone: I don't have a strong sense for the film thickness of building up like primer>paint>gloss coat, but do I need to worry about clogging up panel lines with that buildup? Do I need to consider widening panel lines to account for that, or even giving a light pass after the fact with a slightly undersized chisel or something to "resharpen" the channel, for lack of a better term, so things like enamel wash (Tamiya Panel Lining, for instance) will zip along nicely?

I feel like with all the money and practice I've poured into this, having $130 or whatever sitting on a shelf til I get to it is not going to kill me, and I'm more likely to push myself to engage with it if it's in my house rather than some "next step" I have to go seek out where/when it strikes me, then find out I can't get anything.

I don't really have ones picked out, I'm just sort of searching around for available ones for the kits I think are cool, which is completely arbitrary since I don't actually watch any of the shows/movies (aside from Witch From Mercury which I watched with my kids). I guess I probably have a "type" since they seem largely related/derivative v0v. Sazabi, Sinanju Stein/Unstein, Nu, Hi-Nu. Thought the Barbatos was cool as well, very different aesthetic. I should probably like the Unicorn as well but I built some MG Banshee Norn thing and it was so loving fiddly that I swore off Unicorn hero suits. I've probably learned some since then and could probably work it, but it doesn't excite me enough to re-engage with Unicorn models. Similarly, I should probably have a Nightingale for the Hi-Nu to fight but the suit design does not particularly spark joy so I will probably just have random poo poo from different timelines if I ever pair things off in a little display/diorama.

Getting a resin kit that doesn't completely suck to work with will probably help my chances of success, next time I find something I'll post here and see if it's at least "good" if not great. The one I missed out on was this YJL Sinanju Stein one, which I thought was cool because it dressed up the head a bit with a v-fin and mohawk. Probably sacrilege, and I think I initially picked up the Stein because it was unique in that it DIDN'T have one.

I'll also probably want to up my dust collection game a bit before hitting resin. I have a respirator but also full beard. It works surprisingly well in that I don't really smell anything working with the lacquer-based stuff, but it's obviously not fully sealed. I'm probably going to set up in the basement where I can run the paint booth, shop compressor rather than dinky airbrush-specific compressor, and at that point I'll probably just run a shop vac for dust collection, maybe get a funnel/mesh adapter I can just sand directly over. The lacquer stuff sort of has immediate feedback from the smell, but I'm guessing resin just slowly kills me without me knowing so I'd probably want something better than the suboptimal respirator.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Deviant posted:

i feel like there's gotta be a cheaper padded suitcase somewhere

not really, that's basically the same thing as carrying cases for tabletop miniatures, and those get pretty expensive. That one is honestly about as cheap as you're going to find.

Here's Games Workshop's equivalent

https://www.warhammer.com/en-WW/shop/Citadel-Skirmish-Figure-Case?queryID=6672b25839d44209eaf580c2db9333d3

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Those foam padded carrying cases are used for a lot more than painted plastic, people have em for everything from tools to cameras to guns.
And yeah the official games workshop branded anything is gonna cost more than a normal one.

I searched for "foam carrying case" on aliexpress and saw tons of them from $10-20. Those are probably for the smallest sizes though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 1, 2024

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

uwaeve posted:

I guess a paint question for you or anyone: I don't have a strong sense for the film thickness of building up like primer>paint>gloss coat, but do I need to worry about clogging up panel lines with that buildup? Do I need to consider widening panel lines to account for that, or even giving a light pass after the fact with a slightly undersized chisel or something to "resharpen" the channel, for lack of a better term, so things like enamel wash (Tamiya Panel Lining, for instance) will zip along nicely?

I've done kits where, for example, I'll do a layer of primer (I'm generous so maybe two), then a base color, then a highlight color, then a gloss coat and the panel lines aren't diminished at all. Bandai kits have them run deep. You can of course take a scriber to deepen them but generally I've seen this used to emphasize details, not to deepen existing panel lines. Of course, I use enamel panel liner solution and not a marker, so maybe the marker tip would get "raised up" a bit by those coats of paint but I can't speak to that. If you're going as far as gloss coating using enamel panel wash is simpler anyhow.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, thread, tonight I'm gonna build the EG Grandpa. I've got new nippers and glass files to try out, and I'm also going to try panel lining with marker for the first time in years (I've been mostly using very sharpened drafting pencil).

I have a small assortment of micron pigmas in grey in various sizes, and one actual Gundam marker (also grey). None of them are pour types. In my previous experience, markers would usually stop working after one kit or so. I never did figure out if they were getting gummed up with mold release or just drying out.

Questions: should I wash the sprues? Is that necessary any more? And how can I keep my markers living longer than they used to?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Washing sprues isn't necessary for Bandai kits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

only if you've got greasy hands, wash your hands before handling them, kids!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
gently caress that, gunpla is freedom. Eat cheetos and use nail clippers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i snap them off the sprue with my bare hands and remove the nub with my teeth

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I have some Tau models from when I was in high school that were basically that. I think I... twisted them off the sprue? I shudder thinking about it to this day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Those foam padded carrying cases are used for a lot more than painted plastic, people have em for everything from tools to cameras to guns.
And yeah the official games workshop branded anything is gonna cost more than a normal one.

I searched for "foam carrying case" on aliexpress and saw tons of them from $10-20. Those are probably for the smallest sizes though.

Go to your local sporting goods store and look for pistol cases, they're cheap and come in all sorts of sizes. You can get rifle cases too, they'll be a few feet long but you could easily stick a couple of PGs or a swarm of HGs in one. Most of them don't have anything that says GUN on them besides a hole for a padlock, which is pretty innocuous.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zodack posted:

I have some Tau models from when I was in high school that were basically that. I think I... twisted them off the sprue? I shudder thinking about it to this day.

Sometimes pieces just snap off the sprue perfectly and don't even leave scars and those pieces are blessed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Sometimes pieces just snap off the sprue perfectly and don't even leave scars and those pieces are blessed.

Entry Grade kits are designed to encourage that phenomenon. Easy snap-off, minimal nubs, no tools required.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

there's always at least one piece in every model that always falls off the sprue as I remove and organize them all, cleaner than I could ever clip it. I call it God's Piece

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Buck Wildman posted:

there's always at least one piece in every model that always falls off the sprue as I remove and organize them all, cleaner than I could ever clip it. I call it God's Piece

:same:

Except when it's a tiny piece, like a gundam's face. Then it falls, rolls off the edge of whatever I'm working on, bounces off my leg and vanishes and the only way I find it is when my cat comes in to try and eat it.

He's developed a taste for gunpla, it's kind of concerning.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

It is the tool beyond God Hands.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

Go to your local sporting goods store and look for pistol cases, they're cheap and come in all sorts of sizes. You can get rifle cases too, they'll be a few feet long but you could easily stick a couple of PGs or a swarm of HGs in one. Most of them don't have anything that says GUN on them besides a hole for a padlock, which is pretty innocuous.

They do stand out like a neon light to thieves though

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Midjack posted:

It is the tool beyond God Hands.

But choose wisely, for while the true God Hands will bring you piece, the false God Hands will take it from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Phy posted:

Ok, thread, tonight I'm gonna build the EG Grandpa. I've got new nippers and glass files to try out, and I'm also going to try panel lining with marker for the first time in years (I've been mostly using very sharpened drafting pencil).

I have a small assortment of micron pigmas in grey in various sizes, and one actual Gundam marker (also grey). None of them are pour types. In my previous experience, markers would usually stop working after one kit or so. I never did figure out if they were getting gummed up with mold release or just drying out.

Questions: should I wash the sprues? Is that necessary any more? And how can I keep my markers living longer than they used to?

Anything I paint I run the pieces through the ultrasonic cleaner before base coat, just in case.