Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

George H.W. oval office posted:

We just got our E&Y security assessment that was ordered by our PE backers and it is shittier and less comprehensive than the one we got for free from some MSP that is trying to get our business. God consulting is such a scam lol

Well obviously you’re going to give your business to the MSP that has demonstrated that they will give a higher quality product for less money than the company that’s just coasting on a name brand right?

Hahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm being forced to learn terraform and AWS at the same time. Boss wants us to basically make this KASM deployment https://github.com/kasmtech/terraform/tree/develop/aws/standard, is there an easy way to calculate what the cost of running this deployment is? I have a 60$ lab budget help goon friends.

https://www.infracost.io/ can scan your TF and give you a cost estimate.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

xsf421 posted:

https://www.infracost.io/ can scan your TF and give you a cost estimate.

Sweet, this looks like exactly what I want. Thanks!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
good news: we're moving off of network drives over a VPN for an all-remote company
bad news: my idiot boss is handling the process
good news: we've started with the first part
loving typical news: "it's read-only, send a ticket to the helpdesk for any file changes"

I'm not sure how often I can say "we do not have the person-power to do our job" until it sinks in, but this loving woman has never met a process she didn't want to do by hand for no good reason. God forbid we let people edit files on a locked-down share

the DEI stuff has also been very frustrating, had to take it over last minute this morning and then nobody showed up, which was honestly worse than having too many people show up. really makes me feel like I'm making a difference on the committee.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The big 4 really is nothing but grift

And at the same time they're absolutely the goal for companies to be in terms of size and notoriety.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Folks, need some career advice. Been doing your standard IT for 20 years now with network admin under my belt for the last 10 of that. Current job is fine but for reasons I'd rather not get into I'm jumping ship within the next 2 years.
Unfortunately I'm in the gulf south and job options are slim and moving is not an option. Instead, I think my best route is to broaden my skills as I feel like I'm at the ceiling here and learning opportunities are disappearing.

Current job is not quite a MSP but it's not far off from one, 100+ site WAN. Currently I do most of the network install and management (cisco/meraki, HP enterprise, ubiquiti), voip (3CX), minimal firewall work (checkpoint), some VMware, and less and less now dealing with end user support or local server/desktop stuff.

So my questions are, what would my current skillset translate best to at this point? I know that's a fairly broad question, but I'm assuming cloud compute is probably the easiest direction for me to go in, leaning towards cloud network engineer.
Also, what are some learning resources that are recommended to get me started on this path?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If they don't sell it, I assume they'll strip it to the bone then fold it into Broadcom's amazing security product everyone likes, Symantec.
No one ever got fired for buying [product only CISOs buy]

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

couldcareless posted:

Folks, need some career advice. Been doing your standard IT for 20 years now with network admin under my belt for the last 10 of that. Current job is fine but for reasons I'd rather not get into I'm jumping ship within the next 2 years.
Unfortunately I'm in the gulf south and job options are slim and moving is not an option. Instead, I think my best route is to broaden my skills as I feel like I'm at the ceiling here and learning opportunities are disappearing.

Current job is not quite a MSP but it's not far off from one, 100+ site WAN. Currently I do most of the network install and management (cisco/meraki, HP enterprise, ubiquiti), voip (3CX), minimal firewall work (checkpoint), some VMware, and less and less now dealing with end user support or local server/desktop stuff.

So my questions are, what would my current skillset translate best to at this point? I know that's a fairly broad question, but I'm assuming cloud compute is probably the easiest direction for me to go in, leaning towards cloud network engineer.
Also, what are some learning resources that are recommended to get me started on this path?
My answer to this question from 10 years ago still holds up. As things continue their drudge march towards SaaS or "the cloud", the competitive advantage is in making these things play nice together. Understanding the tools and technologies underneath, and having just enough programming skill to glue things together in a way that solves problems for people, is really the nuts and bolts of modern tech work. Recently, all the growth has been in Identity and Access Management, because every company, in parallel, has realized they've underinvested here by a lot over the last decade. But sure, some of it is in cloud infrastructure too.

The current ecosystem is developers having way more autonomy than they've ever had, being responsible for all kinds of poo poo, every subject matter expert around them is telling them that everything they don't know is critically important, and they don't know who to even believe, much less how to get good at the real top priorities. If you can make a dent in that problem in a big company, you're writing your own paycheck, even in this economy.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

CEO is having ghost keyboard inputs when she signs in. I read thru the logs and noticed "USB app control" having errors around that time. After a quick googlin' turns out it's related to Brother's bloatware. I tell the CEO I'd like to remove the software for the Brother printer after looking at the logs, and that I'll run a few other checks (sfc and antivirus) to be on the safe side.

Ladies, enbies, and gentlemen, my boss:

"The Brother is probably the software for her printer"

Thanks boss!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

CEO is having ghost keyboard inputs when she signs in. I read thru the logs and noticed "USB app control" having errors around that time. After a quick googlin' turns out it's related to Brother's bloatware. I tell the CEO I'd like to remove the software for the Brother printer after looking at the logs, and that I'll run a few other checks (sfc and antivirus) to be on the safe side.

Ladies, enbies, and gentlemen, my boss:

"The Brother is probably the software for her printer"

Thanks boss!
I can't imagine these words happening in normal speech. I keep imagining them being something someone says as they're vomiting

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does your boss find out about this stuff because you're telling them, or are they micromanaging your interactions by insisting they get copied on messages to the CEO, or do they sit and stare at your ticket updates all day instead of doing their own work?

If possible I'd just keep them entirely out of the loop if you know their contribution is going to be either insisting that you're wrong, or saying a bunch of obvious stuff that could have remained unspoken.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thanks Ants posted:

Does your boss find out about this stuff because you're telling them, or are they micromanaging your interactions by insisting they get copied on messages to the CEO, or do they sit and stare at your ticket updates all day instead of doing their own work?

If possible I'd just keep them entirely out of the loop if you know their contribution is going to be either insisting that you're wrong, or saying a bunch of obvious stuff that could have remained unspoken.

The last one, she just looks at the tickets constantly and jumps in at random. She somehow still misses the tickets I explicitly send up to her*.

It's been helpful recently, since my coworker has been out for two months, which means I've been the only person actually on the help desk for all that time.

* Because I'm not allowed to actually change anything beyond stuff like delegates on mailboxes or updating titles. So stuff like "can I use this free, web 1.0 pictonary website for a team building exercise" all needs her approval.

If I sound like I badly need a drink it's because I do.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My boss is generally great but he really likes to reply to new incoming tickets via the email notification he gets, which means he doesn't actually look at the ticket dashboard to see if someone (me) has already replied to and closed it. So someone will send in a ticket asking to fix X common known problem, I send them Y solution 5 minutes later and close the ticket, then 20 minutes after that he'll reply and send them the same solution

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

johnny park posted:

My boss is generally great but he really likes to reply to new incoming tickets via the email notification he gets, which means he doesn't actually look at the ticket dashboard to see if someone (me) has already replied to and closed it. So someone will send in a ticket asking to fix X common known problem, I send them Y solution 5 minutes later and close the ticket, then 20 minutes after that he'll reply and send them the same solution

he padding his ticket stats

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

just double checking because this poo poo is wearing on me, is this kind of thing common in the industry? should i just assume my coworkers are going to be Like This everywhere I go? and why the gently caress haven't I gotten a callback already

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No it’s not normal

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a lot of stupid all over. I deal with what most would consider some of the best in the industry and it's still dumb. But it's not as bad as you seem to be experiencing. That place sounds extra special.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't think I've ever had a boss look at tickets unless a complaint is escalated

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I don't think I've ever had a boss look at tickets unless a complaint is escalated

I thought part of becoming a boss was you got to stop looking at ticket, why would anyone want to look at tickets if they didnt have to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think my boss misses doing real work because they'll spend more time in slack detailing how to do it than it would to just do the ticket.

It's not a micromanaging thing either, just loves getting involved.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm not even a boss and I don't look at tickets

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Every day I work here I look less and less at the tickets

Thanks goons, I think I'm just a tiny bit burnt the gently caress out

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If it makes you feel better, I am too. I wish I was better at not being burnt out, but I'm pretty sure I've somehow been burnt out for a decade and yet somehow this week feels particularly bad. It used to be that I could just focus on work and that was it's own set of burn out, but these days I just have such a long list of boring poo poo to do at work and such a long list of boring poo poo to do at home and I just want to say gently caress it all, smoke weed, and play video games.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fake a positive Covid test and stay home for 5 days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like that suggestion.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

If it makes you feel better, I am too. I wish I was better at not being burnt out, but I'm pretty sure I've somehow been burnt out for a decade and yet somehow this week feels particularly bad. It used to be that I could just focus on work and that was it's own set of burn out, but these days I just have such a long list of boring poo poo to do at work and such a long list of boring poo poo to do at home and I just want to say gently caress it all, smoke weed, and play video games.

I only get the burnout feeling when I’m stuck in idiot politics/meetings land or am dealing with the results of other people’s terrible decisions. I still enjoy solving complex technology puzzles and fitting things together so they do cool stuff. Still feel a sense of accomplishment every time we start a new factory and it starts spitting 2x4s out the end to go make houses. That part is still fun to me 20 years in somehow, even with all the bullshit all around it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Nuclearmonkee posted:

dealing with the results of other people’s terrible decisions.

Oh hey look it's my entire job

She gave a presentation on the SharePoint rollout to the ops team and it went so poorly I stepped in because otherwise I'd be cringing too hard to keep a straight face. And yes, it's obligatory camera on because the COO forces people to pretend to be her friend.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

couldcareless posted:

If you actually Know How Networking Works you've got a solid gold skill set. I can count on one hand the number of junior and senior systems engineers and admin (including network admin) who can actually like plan the subnets of an enterprise network. Once you get into Azure stuff that gets way more important, as a bunch of little pieces of the network become their own objects and can totally gently caress up your deployment if you take defaults. My advice is to start doing the azure certs and working your network knowledge into understanding how it translates, you'll be infinitely employable.

For an example, my company acquired another who had reasonably robust IT infra. Like good backups, security was mostly on point, good monitoring. Their Azure tenant was a nightmare. Whoever was doing the setup had bare minimum azure knowledge and absolutely zero practical networking knowledge. When you make a new network in azure using the wizard it defaults to 10.0.0.0/8, which is fine if you're a tiny company doing a one off or a student experimenting. It causes some conflict issues when you're trying to integrate it as part of an enterprise network. Whoever setup this tenant took the defaults on everything because they didn't know what they were doing and used the wizard, so it's an entire clusterfuck that I have to iron out and fundamentally redesign before I migrate it to our tenant.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Silly Newbie posted:

For an example, my company acquired another who had reasonably robust IT infra. Like good backups, security was mostly on point, good monitoring. Their Azure tenant was a nightmare. Whoever was doing the setup had bare minimum azure knowledge and absolutely zero practical networking knowledge. When you make a new network in azure using the wizard it defaults to 10.0.0.0/8, which is fine if you're a tiny company doing a one off or a student experimenting. It causes some conflict issues when you're trying to integrate it as part of an enterprise network. Whoever setup this tenant took the defaults on everything because they didn't know what they were doing and used the wizard, so it's an entire clusterfuck that I have to iron out and fundamentally redesign before I migrate it to our tenant.

Just switch to IPv6 bingo bongo so easy why not done :confused:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

It's time for domnets and switchnets to have their time to shine

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I only get the burnout feeling when I’m stuck in idiot politics/meetings land or am dealing with the results of other people’s terrible decisions. I still enjoy solving complex technology puzzles and fitting things together so they do cool stuff.

Hear, hear.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

It's time for domnets and switchnets to have their time to shine

And all of them in fishnets.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Silly Newbie posted:

If you actually Know How Networking Works you've got a solid gold skill set. I can count on one hand the number of junior and senior systems engineers and admin (including network admin) who can actually like plan the subnets of an enterprise network. Once you get into Azure stuff that gets way more important, as a bunch of little pieces of the network become their own objects and can totally gently caress up your deployment if you take defaults. My advice is to start doing the azure certs and working your network knowledge into understanding how it translates, you'll be infinitely employable.

This is one of the things that has me really excited about VPC Lattice on the AWS side, it just makes all this poo poo totally irrelevant for the majority of workloads

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

tokin opposition posted:

Oh hey look it's my entire job

She gave a presentation on the SharePoint rollout to the ops team and it went so poorly I stepped in because otherwise I'd be cringing too hard to keep a straight face. And yes, it's obligatory camera on because the COO forces people to pretend to be her friend.

Please tell me it’s SharePoint Online and not on-prem

Going by your posts ITT, your boss is never going to understand Sharepoint so be proactive in giving as much responsibility for maintenance away as possible. It can consume your work life otherwise

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

chin up everything sucks posted:

And all of them in fishnets.

usually

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

If you actually Know How Networking Works you've got a solid gold skill set.

This is truth if you work in infrastructure. Network and security knowledge are universally applicable in enterprise if you’re at a senior level. Every SDN micro segmentation solution and cloud tenant setup requires you have at least CCNA level knowledge of how poo poo works to avoid royally screwing it up. If you are actually in the guts of the stuff, more advanced knowledge of other networky stuff like routing, (every loving thing is peering to BGP these days) is invaluable, particularly when it breaks or some piece isn’t working right.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is truth if you work in infrastructure. Network and security knowledge are universally applicable in enterprise if you’re at a senior level. Every SDN micro segmentation solution and cloud tenant setup requires you have at least CCNA level knowledge of how poo poo works to avoid royally screwing it up. If you are actually in the guts of the stuff, more advanced knowledge of other networky stuff like routing, (every loving thing is peering to BGP these days) is invaluable, particularly when it breaks or some piece isn’t working right.

Ehhhh honestly 80% of it is literally just knowing how network routes work. the cloud providers abstract almost everything else interesting away from you. Even the BGP peering for site to site stuff isn’t that complex, if only because all the hyperscalers have very clear, very simple setup steps, with very few knobs to turn.

weirdly for such a simple concept (have a cidr and a next hop), routing somehow turns off so many people’s brains.

The other 20% of it is peering VPCs or using private endpoints/service lattice/private services. Azure easily has the best UX for that - GCP’s in particular is bizarrely confusing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
IP packet fragmentation will still find a way to ruin your day if DNS or routing doesn't. There are so many exciting way to run into wild problems in networking, and so few people know how it all works (and absolutely noboy really knows how packet fragmentation works).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had to explain how subnets work to an automation engineer today. He wanted me to check the firewall for traffic between two IP's in the same subnet :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wibla posted:

I had to explain how subnets work to an automation engineer today. He wanted me to check the firewall for traffic between two IP's in the same subnet :downs:

I mean could be a Windows firewall causing traffic issues.