Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
and either way they're already moving on to VVC/h.266, all that shits gonna be obsolete soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tankakern posted:

rdp is the way if you have windows boxes then..?

imo rdp was always the way. xrdp works really well, too bad there's no wayland equivalent (that i'm aware of, anyway)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You don't need hardware decoding of vp9 to accelerate moving surfaces in a remote desktop protocol and as far as I can tell my virt-viewer doesn't hardware decode h264 either.

It's just a bizarre decision by Red Hat, especially beause in the virt space there's no alternative. QXL/SPICE is how you connect to a VM if you need it to be performant, period. There is no paravirtualised rdp connection available. I use it all the time for testing of client deployments.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

imo rdp was always the way. xrdp works really well, too bad there's no wayland equivalent (that i'm aware of, anyway)
maybe this https://invent.kde.org/plasma/krdp

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dropping spice is just completely insane. It's the standard for graphical connections to vms in linux.

It would be one thing if they were introducing something better and gradually deprecating spice but just suddenly removing it makes no sense whatsoever.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

vp9 hardware decoding has been around for years at this point, and anything from the past couple of years will have av1 support

they could very easily switch to a royalty-free codec and be done with it

Beeftweeter posted:

and either way they're already moving on to VVC/h.266, all that shits gonna be obsolete soon enough

there is only now enough hardware support for av1 for streaming services to start adopting it, roughly 6 years after the bitstream freeze. it will be years before any new codec, especially a non-free one, starts seeing widespread adoption

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

reading between the lines, redhat got a legal nastygram and now they expect you to get your spice from a 3rd party repo while still paying them for support

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

reading between the lines, redhat got a legal nastygram and now they expect you to get your spice from a 3rd party repo while still paying them for support
Couldn't they still just remove h264 though?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
how is H264 still in patent anyway, this poo poo came out 20 years ago

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

vp9 hardware decoding has been around for years at this point, and anything from the past couple of years will have av1 support

they could very easily switch to a royalty-free codec and be done with it

there is only now enough hardware support for av1 for streaming services to start adopting it, roughly 6 years after the bitstream freeze. it will be years before any new codec, especially a non-free one, starts seeing widespread adoption

vp9 decoding has been around for years, that's true, but there's usually just a minimal implementation that decodes the main profile and nothing else (so you can't take advantage of many of the things that make vp9 possibly a decent codec). same wrt av1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1#Hardware

note how very little hardware is even on that list, let alone any of them being something you'd commonly find, uh, anywhere. and it's still not full support

most of them can't do hardware encoding either

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

how is H264 still in patent anyway, this poo poo came out 20 years ago

you still have to pay to license a MPEG-2 codec implementation for fucks sake, they're not gonna let that poo poo go for as long as it's unchallenged (and yes, that's why most gpus dropped MPEG-2 hardware support)

e: and before someone jumps on this here, yeah, software implementations are more than fast enough these days. it's still bullshit

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
wrong thread

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
how about that Linux, am I right??

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hmm this is interesting

it kinda seems like a decent replacement for people using redhat and wanting SPICE i guess? it says it uses h.264 and VAAPI for hardware acceleration "if possible", and notes its not compatible with nvidia (under which it will use a software encoder). i'm guessing that's x264 (because why wouldn't it be), and that's certainly fast enough to do realtime encoding on pretty much any cpu from the past decade

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

yep

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
actually looking at the source i guess it uses pipewire for video encoding? i didn't know it could do that lol

anyway it then seems to rely on libav for encoding, so if your system libav has support for VAAPI (or some other h.264 hw encoding method), it'll use that or fall back to whatever software encoder is installed

so on a redhat system i'd guess that's unfortunately openh264 lol. just another reason to compile your own ffmpeg/libav

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh, there's also MPEG-5 parts 1 and 2 (aka EVC/LCEVC). afaik there's a royalty-free subset of both, but i don't have any experience using either codec at all and don't know much that can decode it

(other than ffmpeg/libav with the right libraries installed that is, but what isn't that true of)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Pipewire does video/audio, but the krdp project is completely different from spice.

Spice is used for VDI and VM connections. You spin up your VM with qemu (see qemu manpage, search for qxl), and connect to it. It's built straight into qemu and the paravirtualised driver lives in the kernel.

The h246 poo poo is a smoke bomb.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i know what spice is. you can't do this with krdp (afaict from looking briefly at the source, i haven't tried it myself yet), but with xrdp at least, you can point it at whatever VNC server you want (and qemu has a VNC server built in), then connect to it over rdp. i'd think that arrangement wouldn't give you hw acceleration though. it'll also connect to pulseaudio and forward the audio too

like, i'm not saying it's a full-on replacement for SPICE in general across all of its different applications, but at least for the people that just use it for remote access, RDP might not be a bad alternative

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

shackleford posted:

oh lawd apparently the "2" in "s2idle" stands for "to", as in "Suspend-To-Idle", which uses ACPI state S0. thanks linus

wait til you hear what acpi states s2ram and s2disk use

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

it’s not half bad

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

either that or they (IBM's lawyers) only belatedly realized there was any video code in it at all

also in case you were wondering whether fedora is an independent linux distro or just a testbed that IBM uses for developing RHEL

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mesa/c/94ef544b3f2125912dfbff4c6ef373fe49806b52?branch=rawhide posted:

Drop codecs.

We don't have legal approval for this. Previously it was accidentally
shipped.

- -Dvideo-codecs=h264dec,h264enc,h265dec,h265enc,vc1dec \

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/PYUYUCM3RGTTN4Q3QZIB4VUQFI77GE5X/ posted:

since this mesa change (
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/mesa/c/94ef544b3f2125912dfbff4c6ef373f...
) in F37 and rawhide, the mesa package lost support for vaapi accelerated
encoding and decoding of h264, h265 and decoding of vc1 (
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2123998 ).

quote:

This was an oversight being enabled prior to this, and I think we have
to remove it from older Fedora as well. Fedora cannot ship anything
that causes the OS to provide an API which exposes patent algorithms.

The patent licensing around H264/H265 is such that providing this
could leave Red Hat and other Fedora distributors exposed to legal
problems.
Dave.

then someone asked "what about open()" lmao

i like how the european internet communists who run the debian project do not give a poo poo about software patents and ship those binaries all day

and if you're some rear end in a top hat like broadcom with a bunch of video codec patents are you going to go after huge $200B market cap companies like netflix or IBM or are you going to waste your time going after a bunch of unincorporated internet communists with no market share

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

installed kde neon into a vm at work. plasma 6 is pretty nice
anyone know if its there's plans to add it to noble_updates or anything?

don't @ me about using ubuntu

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

shackleford posted:

either that or they (IBM's lawyers) only belatedly realized there was any video code in it at all

also in case you were wondering whether fedora is an independent linux distro or just a testbed that IBM uses for developing RHEL

i like how the european internet communists who run the debian project do not give a poo poo about software patents and ship those binaries all day

and if you're some rear end in a top hat like broadcom with a bunch of video codec patents are you going to go after huge $200B market cap companies like netflix or IBM or are you going to waste your time going after a bunch of unincorporated internet communists with no market share

Fedora and RHEL share a legal team so this isn't really surprising

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
drat, KDE6 is really nice and smooth. Almost like it's written by competent people with corporate backing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

that does suck for people using fedora, but ibm is ignoring alternatives that exist (and people using fedora are ignoring alternatives that exist, too. i suppose RHEL is a different story)

using VAAPI they could use vp9, hardware decoding for that at least is fairly ubiquitous. but like i said afaik most hardware implementations are the bare minimum and do not include encoding capabilities

they could also use av1, but like i said, hardware support is still extremely limited and almost nothing supports encoding anyway

vp9 encoding is doable in software in realtime with libvpx, but av1? eehh not really

so while they technically do exist, there aren't really many good alternatives. they should just allow people to choose to install whatever codecs they want

e: and i'm pretty sure nobody is going to sue over h.264 support anyway. why would they? almost nobody uses fedora compared to distros that actually include the codecs. i could see them maybe going after RHEL users, but if they're already paying for a license, why not include one for h.264 then, too?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 1, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlapYoJacks posted:

drat, KDE6 is really nice and smooth. Almost like it's written by competent people with corporate backing.

i've been using KDE pretty much full time (from XFCE) and yeah, it's really good. makes gnome look like even more of a children's toy

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

i've been using KDE pretty much full time (from XFCE) and yeah, it's really good. makes gnome look like even more of a children's toy

Gnome is a loving joke compared to KDE, and especially 6. I will say, the amount of options for KDE is a bit overwhelming at first.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlapYoJacks posted:

Gnome is a loving joke compared to KDE, and especially 6. I will say, the amount of options for KDE is a bit overwhelming at first.

yeah, it's hugely configurable and i love that, but the real cool thing is that you don't actually need to touch that poo poo to get a good desktop by default. like, it's fine as-is

you absolutely can't say the same about gnome. it's garbage by default and the few options provided don't make it much better

tbh it loving sucks that so much poo poo uses gtk because you have to practically install all of gnome for it to work properly

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbTEVbQLC8s

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Beeftweeter posted:

man, loving oneAPI

i'm trying to compile ffmpeg with icx/icpx and it just won't. from ffbuild/config.log:

oh i figured this out. it was one of the environmental source scripts

i got fdk-aac to compile successfully, anyway. i still need to figure out what i can throw into ffmpeg to compile it, but at least configure isn't failing the compiler test anymore

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you’re thinking in terms of the MPEG LA but it’s probably A System and Method for the Efficient Encoding of a Graphical Virtual Machine owned by Patent Troll Inc.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

MPEG SF is way more laid back

mystes
May 31, 2006

OK but where's the plasma 6 dance

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

that does suck for people using fedora, but ibm is ignoring alternatives that exist (and people using fedora are ignoring alternatives that exist, too. i suppose RHEL is a different story)

using VAAPI they could use vp9, hardware decoding for that at least is fairly ubiquitous. but like i said afaik most hardware implementations are the bare minimum and do not include encoding capabilities

they could also use av1, but like i said, hardware support is still extremely limited and almost nothing supports encoding anyway

i would be shocked if IBM's lawyers are simply ignoring VP9/AV1. i would guess they are thoroughly familiar with the video codec patent risk landscape and have made a calculated decision to minimize the risk to IBM's shareholders of shipping video codec components that could plausibly have patents asserted against them. IBM sold their PC business to lenovo years ago, they simply do not care if headless RHEL servers sitting in a data center can play video or not.

anyway i came across this comment on LinkedIn regarding the lawsuit netflix lost in germany: "When implementation of AV1 is widespread enough, it will be AV1’s time in the barrel."

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

you’re thinking in terms of the MPEG LA but it’s probably A System and Method for the Efficient Encoding of a Graphical Virtual Machine owned by Patent Troll Inc.

lol so the netflix H.265 lawsuit was over a patent entitled "Signaling of coding unit prediction and prediction unit partition mode for video coding" owned by Broadcom and appears to be something like, we used a B-tree somewhere, and now you can't

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

i tried ubuntu back in the day and a big part of me bouncing off it was how annoying gnome felt to use. trying out kubuntu right now and i'm really liking it a lot more.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

people like to think RDP is some kind of insanely insecure protocol but it's had TLS support baked in since server 2003/winxp x64

there is no excuse for using vnc or ssh x11 forwarding or teamviewer or whatever other garbage in 2024 whatsoever

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I have never needed a graphical connection to a remote machine (except X forwarding as a teenager just to marvel that it worked). What do you use it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Athas posted:

I have never needed a graphical connection to a remote machine (except X forwarding as a teenager just to marvel that it worked). What do you use it for?

windows admin brain