Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

site posted:

On my i7-9750 and gtx 1660ti I get like 45-55fps on low with 1080p fsr balanced lol

I’m not surprised, performance seems to be all over the map. Some time in the next couple weeks I’ll be throwing together a media server with an Intel Arc A380… The latter is a listed minimum viable GPU, so I’ll be sure to put it to the test and report back. :q:

edit: Good lord, an Intel GPU snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i never really know if this is a good thread to post about Dread Delusion in since it's not an FPS but it is a retro first person game so I feel like there's overlap...

but yeah, they just put out their final hotfix before 1.0, and said release date info will be unveiled very soon. i'd assume this Fall for 1.0. also saves won't work in 1.0, so i'm gonna just sit and wait like I did with Wrath

2024 is a good year for early access games hitting 1.0, between Wrath, Secrets of Grindea, Dread Delusion, possibly Viscerafest and Extraneum, maybe Hyperviolent, and we'll see about Supplice and Beyond Sunset...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The 7th Guest posted:

i never really know if this is a good thread to post about Dread Delusion in since it's not an FPS but it is a retro first person game so I feel like there's overlap...

but yeah, they just put out their final hotfix before 1.0, and said release date info will be unveiled very soon. i'd assume this Fall for 1.0. also saves won't work in 1.0, so i'm gonna just sit and wait like I did with Wrath

2024 is a good year for early access games hitting 1.0, between Wrath, Secrets of Grindea, Dread Delusion, possibly Viscerafest and Extraneum, maybe Hyperviolent, and we'll see about Supplice and Beyond Sunset...

Yeah I wonder if there should be a Kings Fieldlike thread or something. lol

Dread Delusion rules, really looking forward to full release

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Convex posted:

Terminator Resistance was also a bit roughly optimised at launch, however they did make a few huge patches that made it a lot better. RoboCop: Rogue City didn't really run great on my 1080 but was fun enough to be playable.

I know they also did some optimization patching for Robocop as well, not sure if it would fix the issues site was having.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

HolyKrap posted:

Shotgun feels nice, good damage output, secondary fire's ricochet mode is kinda weird unless you're enclosed in a tiny room, but with its long chargeup time, why waste 4 rounds when I can just melee?

The point of the secondary isn't the ricochet effect, it's that it does more damage than the primary and is accurate (ish) out to mid-long range. It's a much better sniping weapon that anything else you have until you find the Slag Cannon.

Grats on having so much success with the blade, though. The list of enemies I have tried to melee and regretted doing so is quite long at this point. Even Wretches have a tendency to get you with a death explosion and that's one of the friendlier enemies to get close to.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The 7th Guest posted:

Thanks for posting about this: hadn't heard of it at all and it's very much up my street.

I misread this as being a Dredd game at first and was very confused.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The blade is just stupid powerful in Wrath, yeah, especially when factoring in how pathetic the primary attack on it is. If theres an enemy you dont want to risk getting close to, shotgun alt fire manages it smoothly. Nail gun and grenade gun have too many limits/quirks to be anything but backup guns when you want to save ammo for the shotgun or whatever. The pistol is your extremely poo poo sniper workhorse.

Ive picked up 3 other guns with one being basically the super nail gun (with even worse ammo refill rate so still niche), the rail gun aka super pistol which is useful for 1 enemy type and nothing else so far, and the Crystal gun which does, honestly kick sufficent amounts of rear end for its ammo rarity.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think the original quake was stingy as gently caress with nails too for how important it was for explosive resistant enemies so there's definitely a familial precedent

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Quake gives you nails in increments of 25 and 50. In Wrath it’s like 5 and 30

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its 5 and 15 for nails in Wrath, but Ill double check. Its dire, and they clearly expected you to top up via enemy drops but both are ammo negative if you use the nail gun on them with the latter being a -20 even with perfect nail usage as far as I can tell. That same enemy dies in one blade hit.

The pistol also drops ammo in lumps of 15 for a gun that requires 4, 4, and 5 ammo for the only enemies you realistically will use it on because everything else its a fart in the wind.

Edit: The pistol alt fire is faster dps to kill enemies if and only if you hit with the first round (or first two for the 5 hit foe) then burst with the secondary to launch 3 rounds to kill. Thats the literal only use case I can discern for the secondary fire and its really niche cause the bullets spread so you were probably better off closing to shotgun/blade distance or just sniping with standard

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 1, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What difficulty are you guys playing WRATH on that you’re finding ammo an issue? I wonder if it’s drastically different for Medium vs Hard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What difficulty are you guys playing WRATH on that you’re finding ammo an issue? I wonder if it’s drastically different for Medium vs Hard.

Ammo isn't an issue, per se, as the knife carries you through tons of ammo and the shotgun just absurdly ammo efficient and drops in massive stacks. Its that replenishing your supplies of other weapons is very slow compared to how fast you exhaust them, which leads to already situational guns getting further sidelined.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I like how this is how a bunch of Doom nerds talk about weapon balance, ammo refill rates isn't something that I ever hear addressed elsewhere.

I am so eager to get into Wrath, but I just started another game earlier in the week and I know I can't play both of them.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The point of the secondary isn't the ricochet effect, it's that it does more damage than the primary and is accurate (ish) out to mid-long range. It's a much better sniping weapon that anything else you have until you find the Slag Cannon.

Grats on having so much success with the blade, though. The list of enemies I have tried to melee and regretted doing so is quite long at this point. Even Wretches have a tendency to get you with a death explosion and that's one of the friendlier enemies to get close to.

I'll have to test that out on some flying enemies. I also found since making that post, cyst launcher's secondary isn't too bad, I usually have lots of ammo for it so it lets you unload a bunch into groups

With the blade, I stay away from the normal green cyst guys that throw stuff at you cause there's usually a bunch of them, but the bigger exploding enemies I find I can tank the hit. The wretches are weird cause it's like when they take enough damage, their body starts spinning around and firing projectiles everywhere, so I guess some luck is involved with killing those at close range especially if your momentum is stopped.

The artifacts are kinda neat though, I've only found 4 different ones but so far they have some interesting uses. Some of the levels have really wide open areas with enemies firing at you from all directions, feels like those encounters were made specifically for trying out different strategies with artifacts. Infighting is neat

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 1, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All throwback shooters should have infighting or at least friendly fire and it's a con if they don't

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

All throwback shooters should have infighting or at least friendly fire and it's a con if they don't
yeah it was a nice surprise to see friendly fire knock some enemies out. also the way you can chain eye-beam guy explosions to knock out multiple of those guys if they're clustered together

i'll have to see how episodes 2 and 3 factor in, but right now i think this is an 8+ out of 10 game and will probably be in my top 10 at the end of the year like HROT was in 2023, and Cultic in my top 20 of 2022. it's great

if DUSK is top-tier then i'm willing to put Wrath in the tier right below it (although there are some weapons that I actually think Wrath does better)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yep, nails are in 5 and 15 batches, so you need 10 of the largest drops to reload

Edit: I've used my first save crystal since the tutorial. Twilight Alters has a timed platforming section over a bottomless pit, so there we go, thats what will pressure me enough to save.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 1, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well just beat Ancient Gods. Hated it, hated it, hated it. I put 64 hours into the base game in a little over a month, beat it four times, once even on a real difficulty, UV. Great game. AG sucked so much I uninstalled it the second I was finished and pretty much killed my interest further. Like I didn't disbelieve you when people here said it sucked. I just figured for 6.79 it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I'm gonna learn my lesson one of these days. Otoh, I'm glad Wrath has been so well received, I've been psyched for it for about a year now

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Ancient gods episode 1 is great, absolute ball buster

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well just beat Ancient Gods. Hated it, hated it, hated it. I put 64 hours into the base game in a little over a month, beat it four times, once even on a real difficulty, UV. Great game. AG sucked so much I uninstalled it the second I was finished and pretty much killed my interest further. Like I didn't disbelieve you when people here said it sucked. I just figured for 6.79 it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I'm gonna learn my lesson one of these days.

TAG1 definitely caters to a different kind of FPS player (i.e. the one that likes getting kicked in the nuts until they learn to kick back harder). Go for base game Nightmare, all your horrible memories of TAG1/2 will go away.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Re: ammo supply in Wrath.

Drops from enemies have been significantly down-tuned since EA. In EA, Invaders dropped shotgun shells instead of revolver slugs (in the same groups of 4), Afflicted dropped cysts the same as Stricken, and Heretics and Widows dropped fangs in batches of 15 instead of five (though I think Heretics are actually dropping 2x5 now, so it's not that large of a gap).

In that environment ammo was basically never an issue for those three guns. Fangs were probably the closest thing to scarce but for the shotgun especially you were almost always at full ammo and there was very little reason to use anything else. I am generally finding the current situation to be a vast improvement- I am always thinking about ammo and juggling weapons a lot more. In EA I basically never touched the revolver or the blade except for platforming. Fangs are maybe a little too scarce but the spitter does so much damage so quickly it's probably for the best.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think nails are slightly too small for the big size. I don't mind that enemies drop neutral/negative amounts of ammo, but the larger ammo in world for them should be 25.

That said I am juggling the weapons, so the ammo is doing an effect of making me use different ones but at least so far in 9 levels I've got maximum rail, plasma, grenade, crystal, and splitter ammo most of the time where I only rarely ever have to go below the cap amounts (mostly grenade and splitter) until I can get back up to health pistol and shotgun ammo pools. I'm sure it would be absolute design poison but I'm like maybe just a flat recharging pool of ammunition for different guns might be healthier for this kind of game, but that kicks up such a horrible other pile of design problems.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

it is fine? I'm still on the third (real) map mind you, but for now I don't have ammo issues, playing on Hard, and I'm only using the sword against the zombies and I'm not finding all the secrets either.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
dark forces remastered trip report: kyle katarn is an idiot

1. throws grenades underarm, often straight at the ceiling
2. goes to ice planet without packing ice boots
3. brings torch with only 15 minutes remaining battery and no spare

good thing he has someone to fly him around or he'd probably run out of starship petrol and have to call the RAC

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Question for Wrath thats a spoiler, I guess? Its about an enemy the floating bran with four limbs, is there a way to hurt it with any weapon other than the crystal gun once it goes yellow? Everything else seems to bounce off

Edit: Ok, yeah World 3 jumps up the difficulty and you will be needing heavy weapons a lot more.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 1, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

TAG1 definitely caters to a different kind of FPS player (i.e. the one that likes getting kicked in the nuts until they learn to kick back harder). Go for base game Nightmare, all your horrible memories of TAG1/2 will go away.

It's harder on easiest than the base game on UV, no thanks

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Convex posted:

dark forces remastered trip report: kyle katarn is an idiot
good thing he has someone to fly him around or he'd probably run out of starship petrol and have to call the RAC

Jan was always his better half and this is clear from the very beginning of the series.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Yeah, Kyle flew the Crow once. Then they got a new ship.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

khwarezm posted:

Ancient gods episode 1 is great, absolute ball buster

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I definitely like getting kicked in the balls, and I liked TAG 1&2 so this checks out

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Jan was always his better half and this is clear from the very beginning of the series.

I always thought it was funny in the cutscene between mission 1 & 2 when for whatever reason, it sounds like Mon Mothma is jealous after Kyle requests Jan Ors as his mission officer.

"Fine. Then I'll let Jan brief you on your further objectives!!!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I definitely like getting kicked in the balls, and I liked TAG 1&2 so this checks out

The difficulty was honestly the least objectionable part of it. It's not like I died. Every encounter went on for waaaay too long, the platforming sucks more than the first game and the levels were mostly boring, ugly or both.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Compared to TAG1, TAG2 was a cakewalk.

I liked getting kicked in the nuts in TAG1, except for one fight that was absolutely brutal and I had to replay probably dozens of times. It's been years since I've played it so I don't know specifically where the fight is or what to call it...I guess I can try and find a youtube video of it.

E: Hmm, does not look like you can change the difficulty on WRATH after you start - kind of a bummer. Am I just missing the option? I want to crank it up to Hard after starting and beating one level (Mire) on Medium.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2024

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Turin Turambar posted:

it is fine? I'm still on the third (real) map mind you, but for now I don't have ammo issues, playing on Hard, and I'm only using the sword against the zombies and I'm not finding all the secrets either.

This is where a lot of my ammo goes. It's actually pretty surprising how some sections feel like a constant barrage of enemies, like they're really big areas but they keep throwing more in as you progress. I noticed one area even locked off the little side rooms when they spawn in the charger guys so you can't just hide in there and abuse their AI lol, it's well made.
Melee may be a little OP but it's fun hopping around at lightspeed. I wonder if they tried balancing for that later in development cause there's definitely a lot more tanky explodey guys spawning in. The infighting potion should be in more games

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I really enjoyed the Doom Eternal base game on Nightmare, but I'm not a super amazing FPS player so it was quite challenging. I'm assuming the DLCs are basically off the table..

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Volte posted:

I really enjoyed the Doom Eternal base game on Nightmare, but I'm not a super amazing FPS player so it was quite challenging. I'm assuming the DLCs are basically off the table..

From what I remember, the first episode was a lot harder than the second.

Do you remember a multi-marauder fight in the base game? Can't remember if that was in the DLC instead.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think I fought more than one at a time.

Now I'm getting the urge to install Doom Eternal again...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Multi-Marauder is def DLC.

E: actually I may be wrong, I think you fight more than one towards the end of base game...on a rooftop I think?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Multi-Marauder is def DLC.

E: actually I may be wrong, I think you fight more than one towards the end of base game...on a rooftop I think?

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's in the ugly swamp level, not the ugly heaven level. Still lossless against Marauders, git gud marauder haters.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Wrath is good, glad it made it across the finish line.

I like the idea of limited quicksaving in principle, but it kind of bums me out that (apparently?) Wrath doesn't do the save-on-quit thing... it makes it less attractive to do short play sessions during breaks since each one burns a save token. (Yah I know there are a lot of tokens, it's just the feel of the thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I beat Doom Eternal, so you almost certainly don't fight multiple marauders in the base game