Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cythereal posted:

Yuuuuup, that's what unmedicated bipolar looks like.

Yeah, the diagnosis is a bit of a buried lede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it also changes all the advice from "get a spine and cut her off" to "get her to take the medication because this might actually be recoverable"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to leave my parking spot and blocking traffic?

OP did nothing wrong

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mx. posted:

Maybe an rear end in a top hat, but one I support, I can't stand parking vultures like this.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

OP did nothing wrong

agreed. if she was already pulling out and decided to dawdle then that might be an rear end in a top hat move, but I can't stand people who line up before you're even in your car! there are plenty of times I need a few minutes to myself to check my phone or whatever and I'm not even wrangling multiple kids. gently caress off and park the two spots down.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Mx. posted:

On the one hand, this is the same impulse that causes people to go precisely the speed limit in the passing lane, and OP needs to kill the cop in their brain. Good on OP for not allowing themselves to be rushed, but you don't need to be the parking lot police.

On the other hand, I try to stay 5mph above the speed limit and I hate parking vultures so I'm quite tempted to enumerate the reasons it's not the same.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Two beigh, oargh naught two beigh?

These are my kids, Ghoti and Ghoughpteighbteau.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it also changes all the advice from "get a spine and cut her off" to "get her to take the medication because this might actually be recoverable"
Perhaps, but frankly, why bother salvaging it?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

How is taking your time when pulling out being parking lot police?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Halloween Jack posted:

Maybe the relationship isn't recoverable, but preventing someone's life being severely hosed up by poor mental health - if you're able to - might not be a bad thing.

That said, without insight on the part of the wife, it's gonna be an uphill battle.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

titty_baby_ posted:

I may have misread the post, but I read two distinct things happening. OP taking their time getting together, which I think is universally lauded, and then scrolling on their phone when they otherwise would leave to spite the vulture.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

titty_baby_ posted:

If anything she's a parking lot rebel who doesn't live by the rules of an impatient society

Ride on, parking lot mom

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh I don't know, just seems an rear end in a top hat move to abandon a spouse so quickly because of a treatable/manageable illness? He would be perfectly justified in leaving her if this has been going on for some time and she has consistently rejected treatment, but he does say that she's only been diagnosed "recently" (perhaps less than 6 months ago).

The situation he found himself in obviously sucks. It sucks to be in a relationship with someone who's going through a major chronic illness, whether physical or mental. If you can't take the strain, you can't take the strain, but I think we can all agree that the amount of time and effort you spend trying to accommodate your SO's illness matters, morally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Uh, have you ever spent 6 months putting up with an abusive partner while trying to get them into treatment? Did it feel like a brief span of time to you?

Elissimpark posted:

Maybe the relationship isn't recoverable, but preventing someone's life being severely hosed up by poor mental health - if you're able to - might not be a bad thing.
She refused medication and therapy. You can't get another adult to a mentally healthy place by dragging them there kicking and screaming--unless he's going to go through the steps to have her confined to inpatient care against her will.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 1, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
According to the post there was another open parking spot slightly further down and the other car was for some reason not going for it and waiting for OP to leave. If that's true she wasn't even blocking anything and it's all on the other car

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

cyberia posted:

I truly do not understand the preoccupation people have with needing baby names to be 'beautiful' or 'unique'. Do they think their own names are beautiful? Have they every truly thought any name was beautiful before someone on tiktok told them to call their daughter C*ntley? Will they give a poo poo how beautiful and unique their kid's name is when they actually have to deal with the flesh and blood reality of raising a human infant? Just give your kid a simple, utilitarian name that is easy to spell and isn't going to become an albatross around their neck.

it's the mormons breaching containment

mormon culture disempowers women from leading, but what a goodly lds woman IS allowed to do is influence--so you get this slew of perky lifestyle influencers and mommy vloggers working to present a curated view of a perfect life, and part of that perfect life is naming your kid something 'beautiful and unique'. there's a layer of social navigation to this--you don't want to step on any toes within your community, because it's seen as a grave insult to each other for both you and your friend, acquaintance, neighbor, whatever, to both have a kid with a normal rear end name like emily or catherine. so to avoid slighting your fellow lds woman, you crank the name through the pasta extruder a few good turns and now little emileigh pays the price.

and unfortunately, a lot of these accounts fly under the radar. if you mindlessly scroll any of your social medias of choice without a critical eye for mormon-spotting, you can find yourself unwittingly flushed into the algorithm's 'oh, you enjoy watching the mormon ladies' content, ok, up next is brittaneigh' pipeline and suddenly it seems good and fun and normal to burden your very own freshly birthed infant with a name like cuntley.

great name for a cat, though. like a really mean tortoiseshell? outstanding. I'd give that cat a full human name just to gently caress with my vet a little more. they already have to see Paisley Vera Bradley-Bagg yearly. bringing in a little Cuntley McKayleigh Vasseur or something would inflict a damage multiplier on the vet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

Eh I don't know, just seems an rear end in a top hat move to abandon a spouse so quickly because of a treatable/manageable illness? He would be perfectly justified in leaving her if this has been going on for some time and she has consistently rejected treatment, but he does say that she's only been diagnosed "recently" (perhaps less than 6 months ago).

The situation he found himself in obviously sucks. It sucks to be in a relationship with someone who's going through a major chronic illness, whether physical or mental. If you can't take the strain, you can't take the strain, but I think we can all agree that the amount of time and effort you spend trying to accommodate your SO's illness matters, morally.
But it sounds like she's refusing treatment?

comforthawk posted:

it's the mormons breaching containment

mormon culture disempowers women from leading, but what a goodly lds woman IS allowed to do is influence--so you get this slew of perky lifestyle influencers and mommy vloggers working to present a curated view of a perfect life, and part of that perfect life is naming your kid something 'beautiful and unique'. there's a layer of social navigation to this--you don't want to step on any toes within your community, because it's seen as a grave insult to each other for both you and your friend, acquaintance, neighbor, whatever, to both have a kid with a normal rear end name like emily or catherine. so to avoid slighting your fellow lds woman, you crank the name through the pasta extruder a few good turns and now little emileigh pays the price.
This seems like it needs an absolutely massive "citation needed" label slapped on it. I highly doubt all of this tiktok influencer stuff is due to "mormon culture"

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

comforthawk posted:

great name for a cat, though. like a really mean tortoiseshell? outstanding. I'd give that cat a full human name just to gently caress with my vet a little more. they already have to see Paisley Vera Bradley-Bagg yearly. bringing in a little Cuntley McKayleigh Vasseur or something would inflict a damage multiplier on the vet.

Pedigreed animal names are already hosed up as is

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I think weird names are an attempt to claim some kind individual identity for the child, based on the instinctive understanding that there’s no culture to connect to, no great grandfather who set the family up through his hard work to name the kid after, no meaningful cultural identity we all draw from. We’re all atomized subjects unconnected to larger institutions or cultural formations that exist outside of transactional forms. I’m a broken record on this, but yeah, capitalism is why we have kids with name sprawl.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
The parking lot woman did nothing wrong. I also live in rural America, and often times those people who wait for your good spot also block your ability to back out easily. They do this so no one else can try to also sneak in.

But if you are waiting for my spot and you are blocking any part of the space I need to safely back out, you are going to be waiting awhile.

This really really happens a lot. To the point I just default to a further space even if a good space is available since I need the exercise anyway.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Totbot posted:

This really really happens a lot. To the point I just default to a further space even if a good space is available since I need the exercise anyway.

I do the same thing and I have watched them follow me to my car crawling down the entire length of the parking lot at 3-4 mph, occasionally even to the point of passing up currently open spaces, so that they can wait for me to leave my space at the other end of the parking lot.

Do they understand something we don't? Does taking someone's just-vacated parking spot give you power over them like knowing their true name? :ohdear:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

Yep, OP does say that she's been diagnosed recently and refused medication. We don't know how recent "recent" is, but it matters morally. Was it three weeks ago, and she's refused to accept the diagnosis and treatment since? People need time to come to terms with something like that, especially someone who is mentally ill. Was it three years ago? Yeah no, cut your losses and run. Where that line lies will differ for each person, obviously.

I think we're so used to seeing people taking the worst kind of abuse lying down for years, that we sometimes err in the other direction and tell people to run at the first sign of inconvenience.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

mystes posted:

This seems like it needs an absolutely massive "citation needed" label slapped on it. I highly doubt all of this tiktok influencer stuff is due to "mormon culture"

Mansfield, Jennifer R., "“It’s Wraylynn – With A W”: Distinctive Mormon Naming Practices" (2012). All Graduate Theses and Dissertations, Spring 1920 to Summer 2023. 1406.
https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/etd/1406

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Mansfield, Jennifer R., "“It’s Wraylynn – With A W”: Distinctive Mormon Naming Practices" (2012). All Graduate Theses and Dissertations, Spring 1920 to Summer 2023. 1406.

:bighow:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shanghaied posted:

Yep, OP does say that she's been diagnosed recently and refused medication. We don't know how recent "recent" is, but it matters morally. Was it three weeks ago, and she's refused to accept the diagnosis and treatment since? People need time to come to terms with something like that, especially someone who is mentally ill. Was it three years ago? Yeah no, cut your losses and run. Where that line lies will differ for each person, obviously.

I think we're so used to seeing people taking the worst kind of abuse lying down for years, that we sometimes err in the other direction and tell people to run at the first sign of inconvenience.

The timeline isn't clear but they've been working on this at least since November. He's spent at least 3 months trying to support her and work with her, in no way is he cutting and running at the first sign of inconvenience.

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Some random masters thesis (lol) from 2012 mentioning that mormons often give their kids unique names in no way provides evidence that the current trend of people on tiktok giving their kids unique names was influenced by or derives from mormon culture

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

mystes posted:

Carmichael, P., Wilson, G. H. Mormons influence on TikTok culture: a summary review. (2022). Journal of applied social media analysis, 63(4).

Gilligan, J. K., Rowlins, P. H., Jalkins, S. P. Name and spelling variation among Mormons: emerging trends and critical analysis. (2023). Names. 187(6).

Edit: gently caress, beaten. And with real citations. Nicely done!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
oh sorry I didn't notice the tiktok part, I just knew that Mormon naming was a Thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Carmichael, P., Wilson, G. H. Mormons influence on TikTok culture: a summary review. (2022). Journal of applied social media analysis, 63(4).

Gilligan, J. K., Rowlins, P. H., Jalkins, S. P. Name and spelling variation among Mormons: emerging trends and critical analysis. (2023). Names. 187(6).
Is this a joke or did you just use chatgpt to generate made up citations? I would assume the former but unfortunately the latter is very common nowadays.

Edit: based on your edit I guess it was a joke

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

mystes posted:

Is this a joke or did you just use chatgpt to generate made up citations? I would assume the former but unfortunately the latter is very common nowadays.

I used real organic human brain meat to come up with them. I've had way too many of those....

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

Some random masters thesis (lol) from 2012 mentioning that mormons often give their kids unique names in no way provides evidence that the current trend of people on tiktok giving their kids unique names was influenced by or derives from mormon culture

lol I don't wanna be that teacher, but when my students ask me if they can cite master's (or god help them, bachelor's) theses in their own work, I tell them that they aren't even allowed to cite doctoral theses unless it's parts that have been published.

Also Jennifer, when I say you need at least 40 references, I meant published work. You are not allowed to list the your own interviews in your reference list. We need to talk.

But anyway, going through her reference list does lead me to this book:

https://www.routledge.com/Perspectives-on-Latter-day-Saint-Names-and-Naming-Names-Identity-and/Oaks-Baltes-Minson/p/book/9781032350431

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009
Lifestyle blogging is a very big thing in Mormon mom circles.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Not sure why people are saying this is a thing started by tiktok, the old viral Laklynn image is from 2011.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

WIBTA if I [21F] pulled a prank on my soon to be Husband [21M] on our wedding day?

quote:

Alrighty, few things to get out of the way. My fiance and I are as stated with him being [21M] and I being [21F] yes I am aware we are very young but that's not why I'm here today. We've talked about couples counseling and will be getting married April 20th of this year (50 days and counting woopp!)

So me and my Fiance are Austin Powers fans, movies are some of our go to when we're looking for a good laugh. I'm a bit more of a fan as I listen to the soundtracks somewhat frequently while I'm cleaning or drawing. Some of you may be aware of the franchise, some not. So our song we've chosen for our first dance is Just the Two of Us. The song means alot to us and is perfect for our first dance. If you're as well in tuned with the Austin Powers soundtrack as I am you know of the Dr. Evil mix-tape version of the song. Now I've made jokes about switching out our first song with that version and he said he doesn't want it as our first dance but said it would be funny, just not for the first.

I was speaking to his mother on our way back from my last alteration appointment for my Wedding dress and she asked about the first dance and if we picked a song. I told her yes, and what we had decided. I told her about the jokes I had made to him about switching it out when the idea came to me so I asked her, "Hey MIL (not using her real name), what if. And hear me out. I played a small prank on Fiance (again name) during our first dance?" She looked over at me and raised an eyebrow and asked what I had in mind. I then proceeded to explain my though of conspiring with his best man about either starting our first song until Evil goes, "yeahh." Just long enough for him to realize and then go whoops and play the right one or mashing the songs together so it's at a random point in time. She said she thought he'd find it funny and I asked his friend last night and the friend agreed.

INSERT: I am not talking about the whole song. Just 5-7 maybe 8 seconds of it. Just enough to catch him but not enough to ruin the moment.

However I know this sort of thing can be considered rude and nasty, we prank each other all the time and enjoy it, however as a chronic overthinker I wanted to get unbiased opinions. So what do you think? Would I be an rear end to prank my soon to be Husband on our wedding day?

I apologize about the format I'm on mobile.

Tldr: I want to pull a small prank on my Husband to be by swapping the music of our first song with the Dr. Evil version for a little bit before having the actual song play. Would I be an rear end in a top hat if I did?

Edit: Holy poo poo I did not expect to get loving ripped apart but thanks for that. I won't be considering it anymore and thought it would be in harmless fun as everyone in our lives figured he'd get a good laugh from it. Thanks again for making me realize how dumb this could've been and not something to laugh about later.

For once a wedding prank that doesn't involve shoving cake and cake support rods into a face

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I'm a little confused by the phrasing but isn't this kind of a lame idea for a prank? Like you're pretending to switch the track order but didn't? I think it would just be really confusing for everybody.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
21 year old Austin powers fans in 2024? They were uh... -7 when it came out

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

reignonyourparade posted:

Not sure why people are saying this is a thing started by tiktok, the old viral Laklynn image is from 2011.

Nah Mormon names were a thing even back in the late 1990s, before most people had the internet. From the book I linked earlier:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

Nah Mormon names were a thing even back in the late 1990s, before most people had the internet. From the book I linked earlier:

This is just evidence that Mormons were using made up names. It is not evidence that, for example, the majority of people using made up names in the US were Mormons, or evidence that the current trend of people on social media giving made up names to their kids is derived from Mormon culture.

It does seem like religious stay at home mothers are very well represented on social media, probably for the reasons comforthawk is saying, but that's still different than specifically showing that this naming trend was started by mormons or derived from mormon culture.

That's not to say that I don't think it's impossible or implausible; it just requires evidence, and saying that Mormons often uses unique names is not evidence of that.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 1, 2024

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I'm a little confused by the phrasing but isn't this kind of a lame idea for a prank? Like you're pretending to switch the track order but didn't? I think it would just be really confusing for everybody.

No, it’s starting their dance song as this version:

https://youtu.be/dzvTHhWDjIg?si=ziqt65VNuzoAwM6E

And then switching it back to the actual version of Just the Two of Us when it gets to the silly part and playing it off as a ‘mistake’. It’s just a little bit of silliness mostly for a joke between the bride and groom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, the diagnosis is a bit of a buried lede.

If she's anything like me prior to medication, he could probably just wait until the season changes and THEN talk to her about drugs and therapy.

Uncleanly Cleric fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 1, 2024