Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JBP posted:

Why did they make the moogles ugly

The teeth....I have mentally classified them as vermin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah as much as I like Rebirth I find combat to be very micromanage-y. It’s been years since Remake came out and I’m still not comfortable with the combat loop. I never really “got” it like I did the original. Maybe I’m just missing something?

Run around and attack with a character until you get a bar of ATB. Use a special ability that requires ATB. Immediately switch to the next character and repeat. That's the basics. You always want to be building and using ATB and the character you control builds ATB faster. Just keep rotating through the party

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Run around and attack with a character until you get a bar of ATB. Use a special ability that requires ATB. Immediately switch to the next character and repeat. That's the basics. You always want to be building and using ATB and the character you control builds ATB faster. Just keep rotating through the party

Wouldn't that just result in the same overall production of ATB as sticking to the one character (unless you specifically needed one of the other character's ATB abilities)?

It seems like the new synergy abilities are the big reason to switch, though synergy skills also produce a good amount of ATB for both characters. I tried spamming Cloud and Barret's ranged attack synergy skill, and reached a bar of ATB on both of them pretty quickly (though probably not as much as direct attacking across both, I guess).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Wouldn't that just result in the same overall production of ATB as sticking to the one character (unless you specifically needed one of the other character's ATB abilities)?

It seems like the new synergy abilities are the big reason to switch, though synergy skills also produce a good amount of ATB for both characters. I tried spamming Cloud and Barret's ranged attack synergy skill, and reached a bar of ATB on both of them pretty quickly (though probably not as much as direct attacking across both, I guess).

In theory, yes.

In practice the Synergy abilities are valuable enough that one ATB bar on a character who is already at the needed Synergy is worth less than one on who isn't. On top of that enemies will tend to focus the character you are playing as more aggressively, which can make it harder to pull off certain moves. When you swap it takes a bit for enemy aggro to refocus which makes it easier to build ATB and use certain abilities.

There's nothing wrong with sticking with one character or 'maining' one character of course but even then swapping gives benefits.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also am I missing something or is there no way to manually set your party? It looks like I got 3 party compositions available and it's hard locked to Aerith & Red, Aerith & Tifa, and Barrett & Red. Can I just not play with Tifa and Barrett, or Barrett & Aerith?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Also am I missing something or is there no way to manually set your party? It looks like I got 3 party compositions available and it's hard locked to Aerith & Red, Aerith & Tifa, and Barrett & Red. Can I just not play with Tifa and Barrett, or Barrett & Aerith?

it's a bit of a mess in UX terms but if you press triangle u can edit your party, and i think it's on that screen where you chose from the party presets

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

DeathSandwich posted:

It’s really unintuitive but you need to go to combat settings (not party) and then press square. You can then move anyone around and set someone else as leader besides Cloud.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

synergy moves are such a game changer for the combat once you get used to them. lots of really fun party combinations to play around with that have their own unique strengths.
but man they really should've come up with better terminology than "synergy skills" for the R1 moves and "synergy abilities" for the team limit breaks. it's so easy to get the two confused. why not go with "synergy limits" or something?

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. No items, limited MP.

However it's far less painful in this because You can replenish MP at for-pay ins or cushion rest spots (i.e: any Chocobo Stop), you now get natural MP regen, you get more natural healing options, everyone gets no-MP-cost basic spells, and in general the only thing it really does is make the game harder + no item use.

sweet. what carries over in terms of open world activities and do they still lock manuscripts behind redoing sidequests?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

synergy moves are such a game changer for the combat once you get used to them. lots of really fun party combinations to play around with that have their own unique strengths.
but man they really should've come up with better terminology than "synergy skills" for the R1 moves and "synergy abilities" for the team limit breaks. it's so easy to get the two confused. why not go with "synergy limits" or something?

sweet. what carries over in terms of open world activities and do they still lock manuscripts behind redoing sidequests?

Everything you've done carries over, but you do have the ability to set sidequests to a done/undone state when selecting a chapter. Any sidequest that has a noteworthy boss fight at the end does require you to redo it to get a manuscript, as well as the 'final' Classified Intel monster hunt for each segment which gets you a manuscript and a special craft material you can only get on hard. (Basically anything that qualifies as a boss fight gets you a manuscript in hard mode.)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The mentally ill woman surrounded by cardboard boxes that you play cards with in kalm is giving me some powerful foreshadowing vibes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm not sold on this new weapon upgrade system, I struggled with the ffx system a lot and this feels kinda similar but I appreciate that it's easy to reset and mess around with. The Minimap is also worse than remake. That said dilligaf, this game fuckin owns.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The mentally ill woman surrounded by cardboard boxes that you play cards with in kalm is giving me some powerful foreshadowing vibes

Queen's Blood players are all freaking weirdos. No wonder the Innkeeper thought it would be the perfect game for Cloud.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cloud even has the implausibly spikey hair to be a YGO protagonist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Seph posted:

It’s really unintuitive but you need to go to combat settings (not party) and then press square. You can then move anyone around and set someone else as leader besides Cloud.

Speaking of UI issues, I wish you could see a character's abilities from the same screen where you set materia (unless you can and I missed it). I'll frequently have to go back through the menus to remind myself which elements a character has covered by their Skills (so I know which materia they need to increase coverage).

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm not sold on this new weapon upgrade system, I struggled with the ffx system a lot and this feels kinda similar but I appreciate that it's easy to reset and mess around with. The Minimap is also worse than remake. That said dilligaf, this game fuckin owns.

I'm not sure if I understand the weapon upgrades. Can you only ever equip one? And leveling them up just makes more available?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How is the minimap worse?

Also, for vision-related reasons, I’m wondering about something I read in a review. I know there aren’t any blatant accessibility options as such, but one of the reviews vaguely mentioned that there are some navigation aids in the options. Any idea on what those are?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure if I understand the weapon upgrades. Can you only ever equip one? And leveling them up just makes more available?

You eventually unlock more slots per weapon. Think of them like Materia basically.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

unattended spaghetti posted:

How is the minimap worse?

The extra level of graphical detail basically obscures what the actual viable paths are at least in kalm. Maybe I'll take to it or possibly even simply ignore it mostly instead of doing a lot of my pathing by looking at it. At the moment it feels jarring rather than helpful but I'm very early in so far. Plenty of time to change my mind on it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

You eventually unlock more slots per weapon. Think of them like Materia basically.

Ah nice. That makes sense.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The extra level of graphical detail basically obscures what the actual viable paths are at least in kalm. Maybe I'll take to it or possibly even simply ignore it mostly instead of doing a lot of my pathing by looking at it. At the moment it feels jarring rather than helpful but I'm very early in so far. Plenty of time to change my mind on it.

drat that really blows. The basic style from the first game really helped me navigate environments better.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

As a counterpoint you have so much more freedom of movement in rebirth that it isn't as necessary to navigate via Minimap I think, it's just a habit leftover from remake

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Thanking my stars everytime I hold triangle that they didn't include the awful adaptive trigger "hold R2 to open a normal fuckin door" poo poo I'm ff16

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

drat that really blows. The basic style from the first game really helped me navigate environments better.

You still get that style when you're in dungeons, at least.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you can point at most things in this game and go "thank god this wasn't like FF16" really

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Oxxidation posted:

you can point at most things in this game and go "thank god this wasn't like FF16" really

16 has no minigames so 7Rebirth can be 70% minigame by volume.

And it rules.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Everything you've done carries over, but you do have the ability to set sidequests to a done/undone state when selecting a chapter. Any sidequest that has a noteworthy boss fight at the end does require you to redo it to get a manuscript, as well as the 'final' Classified Intel monster hunt for each segment which gets you a manuscript and a special craft material you can only get on hard. (Basically anything that qualifies as a boss fight gets you a manuscript in hard mode.)

Alright that's good to know. With how much content this game has I was a bit worried I'd end up having a stupid amount of things to redo on Hard but that seems like a reasonable balance.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

yeah I pretty much agree but it only applies for towns. dungeons still use a simplified map that only shows things that are relevant to navigation and the open world switches to a Skyrim-style compass. you can configure it to also use the minimap in the open world but don't do that it's even more worthless than in towns because the zoom is way too close for the size of the world.
it seems like they took overhead screenshots of the world for the outdoors maps which means that roofs block everything below them and also lighting can obscure things on the map.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Namnesor posted:

16 has no minigames so 7Rebirth can be 70% minigame by volume.

And it rules.

I wonder how many resources were allocated to develop the fully-featured dual-hand piano simulator lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like FF16 but FF7Reb is basically on an entirely different level.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
It’s kind of amazing how much of a leap forward this is over Remake. The side quests aren’t complete garbage this go around. I do kind of wish the monster hunts didn’t almost universally require you to pressure the enemy to receive full marks though. You’ll stagger and kill the stupid things well before pressuring them nine times out of ten.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Anybody know if I can find bandits out in the wild in the Grasslands? I already did all of the sidequests involving Burke's crew and I forgot to scan one :/

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Checked off everything in the grasslands and made it through Mythril Mines yesterday. Some scattered thoughts - spoilers'll be gameplay-related from these two sections:

• I turned the minimap/compass nav off both in towns and in fields. This is partly because I'm the type of person who'll always be staring off in the corner if given the opportunity and partly because I think the minimap kinda sucks outside of dungeons. Navigation is pretty solid without it - lots of cool signposts or vistas can get you to big landmarks. I do wish you could have the compass without quest markers on it though - sometimes I know I need to go east but I get turned around on the way and have to recenter myself in the map.
  • There's some pretty nasty pop-in on grass. with things loading in like 10 feet away from you it feels like. I generally don't notice it while playing, but if I stop to take a look around it becomes way more noticable.
  • I'm having trouble adjusting to the synergy skills window opening over the general command window. It makes sense, but also I'm the kind of idiot who'll forget if I'm in Operator or Punisher in the middle of a guard and I can't look down to check anymore. Something I'll get used to I'm sure.
  • Generally unbothered by the yellow paint discourse, but it is funny to me that once you get to the swamp there's a set of ledges up to the bridge that are entirely unmarked.
  • Should've dropped the second D and called it Midgarsormr, imo
  • I figured Midgardsormr would get upgraded from an optional encounter to a boss, but I did think it was a little corny how Sephiroth Does This right after the fight instead of being something the party stumbles upon.
  • Very funny that Elena can run off the cliff if you dodge her tackle, but the only time she used it was after I'd already taken down Rude, so I had to just stand there with nothing to do for a few seconds til she climbed back up.

Overall having a blast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Almost Smart posted:

It’s kind of amazing how much of a leap forward this is over Remake. The side quests aren’t complete garbage this go around. I do kind of wish the monster hunts didn’t almost universally require you to pressure the enemy to receive full marks though. You’ll stagger and kill the stupid things well before pressuring them nine times out of ten.

I think Dynamic helps here.

psychoJ posted:

Anybody know if I can find bandits out in the wild in the Grasslands? I already did all of the sidequests involving Burke's crew and I forgot to scan one :/

You'll be able to encounter them in the combat simulator or other sidequests later.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Where is the option to turn the minimap off? I keep looking for it because I know it's in there but for some reason I must be blind to it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 4 region questions: Where can I find the driftwood? And can I actually access any of the stuff at the far east of the region? If I can't do that until I've done some stuff in Under Junon then whatever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Chapter 4 region questions: Where can I find the driftwood? And can I actually access any of the stuff at the far east of the region? If I can't do that until I've done some stuff in Under Junon then whatever

The map shows you where if you compare it to the minimap but:
Near the mining rig just north of one of the towers
Just outside one of the abandoned shacks in that shantytown right nearby
Just north of the Chocobo Farm.

Once you have the black chocobo and do the 'guiding the dog' quest you should be able to access everything IIRC?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Check the picture you were given. The driftwood is basically along the western side of the map starting from where you caught the black chocobo and go north until your bird senses something.

You can do all of the Junon region before even stepping foot in Under Junon proper.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

What am I missing out on by not getting all 3 of the sub-goals for the monster hunts? I usually get 2/3.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gets to the weapon skill tutorial The streamlining is cool and all but I'm kind of bummed they got rid of the sphere grid-esque upgrade system in favor of equipping those skills you get automatically

Gets to the folio tutorial Oh.... ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This game. This game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quinton posted:

What am I missing out on by not getting all 3 of the sub-goals for the monster hunts? I usually get 2/3.

You need to hit all 3 to get the maximum amount of intel points for the region. There are just enough intel points if you max out every objective to get every materia Chadley offers for that region, so if you want to buy everything he offers you need to get them all.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Quinton posted:

I think it just gives you some extra Party XP. I don't think you have to do all the goals to unlock the vr missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

DO IT TO IT posted:

Where is the option to turn the minimap off? I keep looking for it because I know it's in there but for some reason I must be blind to it

I think it's in options under the "gameplay" heading: "Location Navigation Display".

I can't remember a game before this where I had to muck about so much in the options to get everything just right, but now that I've done so, everything is great except for the tiny, tiny text.

I think I clocked something like 13 hours on the game yesterday and have been having a blast.