Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Zenostein posted:

What do you even need favicons for, the browser has its own built in expose` if you can't tell what any of your entirely too many tabs are.

I don’t want to have to hit keys and invoke a different mode to find a tab. Favicons are present at all time, I should be able to eyeball them without clicking anything and just go to the one I want when ID’ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I close my tabs when I'm done using a website, like putting a tool back in the drawer.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I browse the internet in a big bed with my wife.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

I close my tabs when I'm done using a website, like putting a tool back in the drawer.

Okay but have you tried not doing that and then getting really angry?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Zenostein posted:

What do you even need favicons for, the browser has its own built in expose` if you can't tell what any of your entirely too many tabs are.

Icons are a way to quickly identify something without having to actually read it without using much space on a display.

For example, I couldn't tell this thread's tab is on SA without seeing the grenade favicon, because the thread title is too long and the tab cuts off the part that says "The Something Awful Forums".

They're great.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 29, 2024

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yeah, I don't understand all the hate for open tabs.

I always have at least 10, 5 for work stuff and 5 for personal stuff.

Why you guys only keep 1 tab open is more weird to me than having 100 tabs open. YMMV v:shobon:v

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

App Exposé is my :airquote: tabs :airquote:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

not enough people here with vivid memories of pre-tab browsing, clearly

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Corb3t posted:

Icons are a way to quickly identify something without having to actually read it without using much space on a display.

For example, I couldn't tell this thread's tab is on SA without seeing the grenade favicon, because the thread title is too long and the tab cuts off the part that says "The Something Awful Forums".

They're great.

Using the SA app is better.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Subjunctive posted:

I remember keeping multiple workspaces in an old X11 window manager (Enlightenment 16, maybe?) with a web browser window or two in each of them and toggling back and forth that way. It was that, or just keep shuffling between them in Windows like a stack of cards. Tabs are a killer feature for multitasking.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Oh I do and I, never going back to that.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Yes, I definitely want to keep opening and closing the 5-20 work tabs I’m in and out of all day. That would be very efficient.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Y'all ain’t doing that much work lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

containers, my friends

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

smr posted:

Yes, I definitely want to keep opening and closing the 5-20 work tabs I’m in and out of all day. That would be very efficient.
This was my point.

If you don’t have that many tabs open for work, you’re slacking, or not trying hard enough to earn your salary.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

eightysixed posted:

This was my point.

If you don’t have that many tabs open for work, you’re slacking, or not trying hard enough to earn your salary.

Getting put on a PIP because my browser only had four tabs open when my boss walked by

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

If you're not your own boss, owning your own Company you missed a step along the way, but as long as it works :)

e: my avatar

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

eightysixed posted:

This was my point.

How many YouTube videos can you watch at once?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I have a coworker using a 2017 MacBook (personal device) with the following specs:

MacBook Pro 13 2017
2.3Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB LP DDR3 2133Mhz
An intel iGPU of some sort
128GB SSD

He’s still running macOS High Sierra. Security isn’t a concern for him, but he’s worried that if he updates for sake of security and features (like running modern versions of Chrome/FF) he’ll be bogged down by new OS bloat and the computer will be noticeably more sluggish after an upgrade. He’d prefer not to lose any performance or have his already meager SSD space hugely impacted (I think the current OS install size is 22GB)

I have my own opinions on upgrading but I told him I’d still ask around to see if he should upgrade. Also if he really hates the slowdown of a modern OS, can he revert back (even if that reversion requires a nuke & pave?)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

How many YouTube videos can you watch at once?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

buglord posted:

I have a coworker using a 2017 MacBook (personal device) with the following specs:

MacBook Pro 13 2017
2.3Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB LP DDR3 2133Mhz
128GB SSD

He’s still running macOS High Sierra. Security isn’t a concern for him, but he’s worried that if he updates for sake of security and features (like running modern versions of Chrome/FF) he’ll be bogged down by new OS bloat and the computer will be noticeably more sluggish after an upgrade. He’d prefer not to lose any performance or have his already meager SSD space hugely impacted (I think the current OS install size is 22GB)

I have my own opinions on upgrading but I told him I’d still ask around to see if he should upgrade. Also if he really hates the slowdown of a modern OS, can he revert back (even if that reversion requires a nuke & pave?)

I have a 2017 MacBook Air (which is now 100% capped at Monterey and I still love it, if that helps at all.

edit: and my laptop is 1.8ghz and also 8GB RAM and 128 GB storage.
He/she will be fine.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 29, 2024

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don’t have any evidence at my fingertips (no tabs currently sorry) but I’m pretty sure every macOS and even iOS update provides general performance gains across the board compared to previous versions, and a lot of the bloat/slowdown talk is just internet telephone.

One real reason for not upgrading would be to avoid the visual updates, although if they’re already on HS then I doubt there’s much difference. I personally held onto Mojave for years to avoid the “visual simplification” that Big Sur brought but I’ve since updated for software reasons and got over it.

It’s always possible to downgrade but it can be a pretty convoluted process.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

buglord posted:

MacBook Pro 13 2017
2.3Ghz Intel Core i5
8GB LP DDR3 2133Mhz
128GB SSD

My old MacBook Pro from 2014 or 2015 got handed down to my girlfriend when I upgraded to an M2 Air and it's updated to the latest supported version (Big Sur maybe, I forget). It still runs extremely well. I can't say I ever upgraded the OS on any Mac and saw any performance issues at all to be honest.

Before I wiped it to pass it along, I had an unsupported version on there - either Monterey or Ventura or whatever was newest at the time. I used it as my daily driver for work and it probably would still be perfectly fine if I had to use it today.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to upgrade it at all. There's a decent chance it will either run better, take up less disk space, or add some useful features. I'm not aware of any case where functionality or hardware support would be lost from a (supported) upgrade version. And with some small exceptions there is usually no real harm in using a tool to go a version or two past the last supported version either, if there are especially useful features he may want to use.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

I can't say I ever upgraded the OS on any Mac and saw any performance issues at all to be honest.
As an IT guy primarily dealing with Macs for ages, the last time I noticed this being an issue was around 2011/2012 models, with mechanical drives.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Is there a word processor that's basically Textedit's rich text mode but a liiiiittle bit more fully featured? I really only need headers and footers, but basic styles might also be nice. I know about Markdown and like how light it is, but I don't really see the point of making one type of file to make another type of file. Docx and rtf to the bitter end.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

HorseHeadBed posted:

Is there a word processor that's basically Textedit's rich text mode but a liiiiittle bit more fully featured? I really only need headers and footers, but basic styles might also be nice. I know about Markdown and like how light it is, but I don't really see the point of making one type of file to make another type of file. Docx and rtf to the bitter end.

does tex-edit still run on new macs?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HorseHeadBed posted:

Pages?

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Tex-Edit looks like it’s only until 10.14. Pages is an option I suppose, but I don’t like the side bar for formatting and the fact that it isn’t doc/rtf native makes me worry about not being able to access files in the future. It would make sync and working on an iPad more straightforward, though I would still prefer something a bit leaner.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

HorseHeadBed posted:

WordPerfect on Parallels :getin:

Real answer as sad as it makes me is Word for Mac.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

You had the gumption to recommend that, that was my first thought too, but I kept my mouth shut.

I think it all depends on what you’re trying to create. Pages totally works for so many things, and he said he wanted simple so InDesign is out.

But yeah, Word for Mac, or try to get acclimated to Pages.

Or if you just want something super simple, just use Notes?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Dans Macabre posted:

WordPerfect on Parallels :getin:

if you’re gonna consider this then go full hog and get minivmac running word 5.1

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

eightysixed posted:

You had the gumption to recommend that, that was my first thought too, but I kept my mouth shut.

I think it all depends on what you’re trying to create. Pages totally works for so many things, and he said he wanted simple so InDesign is out.

But yeah, Word for Mac, or try to get acclimated to Pages.

Or if you just want something super simple, just use Notes?

Pages has too many things that are stupid and/or not standard that I just can't recommend it for anything. I used to recommend Pages before Word for Mac supported RTL but ever since that started working it's Word for Mac all the way.

Word for Mac definitely has some stupid poo poo about it, and Word in general (even the Windows version) has gotten worse in some areas esp track changes and comments IMO, but it's still one of those apps where it's standard enough that it's worth using because it'll be pretty much the same everywhere and libreoffice is compatible with it down to the keyboard shortcuts etc.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Is there a third party application to let me adjust the colour calibration of my iMac manually, like, let's say, an old Dell monitor would have some RGB sliders hidden in the settings you could adjust if you wanted to eyeball the calibration a little bit better? My screen is a little too pink but the built-in display calibration application isn't letting me dial it out, and I don't want to have to buy a $200 tool to do it for me when I can eyeball it and be accurate enough for my use case.

Edit: I should say I'm running High Sierra on this machine and am not familiar with anything that Apple may have introduced since Catalina, so if there is already something better in 11.* and up, forgive me, for I know not.

Also my use case is that I just want to match the white points of this iMac with the LED Cinema Display that sits right beside it. I can either dial the pink down on the iMac or dial it up on the Cinema Display, I don't care which, I just want them to match.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 2, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hypnophant posted:

we had the hockey puck mouse when I was a kid and i didn't think it was so bad, but i had smaller hands back then. i've only tried the magic mouse in stores and you could not pay me to daily it

Reminder that the forerunner of the iMac hockey puck was the NeXT 2 button ADB mouse lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Dans Macabre posted:

Pages has too many things that are stupid and/or not standard that I just can't recommend it for anything. I used to recommend Pages before Word for Mac supported RTL but ever since that started working it's Word for Mac all the way.

Word for Mac definitely has some stupid poo poo about it, and Word in general (even the Windows version) has gotten worse in some areas esp track changes and comments IMO, but it's still one of those apps where it's standard enough that it's worth using because it'll be pretty much the same everywhere and libreoffice is compatible with it down to the keyboard shortcuts etc.

Yeah, logic tells me it's Word, but there's something so sludgy about it even when typing that it just feels off. Also, it takes up too much space on my hard drive. Pages feels a little more limber, but as you say is not standard in a lot of ways. It also produces files about 5 times the size of a normal Docx, just for a couple of pages of double-spaced text.

Nisus Writer Express seems to be hitting the sweet spot for me and is only $26. It also adds to the feeling that I am old as dirt.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Reject modernity and run Word 5.1 on a IIci.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

kefkafloyd posted:

Reject modernity and run Word 5.1 on a IIci.
I use WordStar 4.0 on a 286.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

I use WordStar 4.0 on a 286.

I didn’t know GRRM was a goon.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Football! Master of Orion!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

HorseHeadBed posted:

Word online? Then you can save your kbs since the web browser is already installed, hopefully.

Google docs, Cryptpad and Zoho too I guess.