Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/PeterZimmerman0/status/1761346099434889525?s=19

Never watched a Gundam but I know enough through cultural osmosis to feel old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Centzon Totochtin posted:

fukkin lmao

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Centzon Totochtin posted:

That the gag starts with SEED makes me just want to get into my rocking chair and down a bottle of Geritol.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I followed this artist when they were doing chainsaw man, I love their style

https://x.com/ryosuketarou/status/1761757799858790753?s=46

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Haven't been this sad to be caught up on something for a while. And there are only four episodes left too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Dang they are really great

https://x.com/ryosuketarou/status/1739277881757630665?s=20

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/ryosuketarou/status/1761757799858790753?s=46

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Doodles posted:

That the gag starts with SEED makes me just want to get into my rocking chair and down a bottle of Geritol.

Wing is a touchstone of millennial childhoods.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Frieren, Fern and Sense are very concerned about Land's new girlfriend. :allears:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol I just noticed the little Golem Jar charms on their bags

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Walking downstairs with both hands held behind your back is a very Ubel thing to do.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

Wing is a touchstone of millennial childhoods.

Sadly, I'm a Boomer. For me it was the original series.

And now I'm following that Geritol with a Metamucil chaser.

Gotta say that ryosuketarou artist does some impressive work.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Rand Brittain posted:

Seeing Fern in a puffer jacket makes me want to see John Allison's take on these characters.
I would have sworn we just had. I mean, isn't this Tackleford?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is fun seeing Frieren showing of her more flashy spells.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Seeing Serie talk wistfully about her now-dead pupil that she’s obviously sad about while being like “i-it’s not like I liked her or anything baka!” is just too funny. Especially with the knowledge that she eventually honors Flamme’s wishes exactly as written :allears:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Aging is just about having sufficient time to construct increasingly intricate rationalizations for your various cognitive dissonances.

And that's the real magic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's cute that Serie doesn't even acknowledge the idea that she herself or some other elf might be the one who could kill Frieren at some point.
Unless of course Elves are a subclass of Demons. :tinfoil:

Also Kanne and Lawine are in some really contorted poses in the background. I think they actually like each other.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 1, 2024

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also Kanne and Lawine are in some really contorted poses in the background. I think they actually like each other.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

It's cute that Serie doesn't even acknowledge the idea that she herself or some other elf might be the one who could kill Frieren at some point.
Unless of course Elves are a subclass of Demons. :tinfoil:

I mean, I don't think the Elves even have the passion necessary to come into that kind of conflict with one another.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Seeing Serie talk wistfully about her now-dead pupil that she’s obviously sad about while being like “i-it’s not like I liked her or anything baka!” is just too funny. Especially with the knowledge that she eventually honors Flamme’s wishes exactly as written :allears:

It took her like a thousand years, which probably makes her the most stubborn tsundere in fiction. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well not really. Serie's students are explicitly an exclusive club for the talented as she stated.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well not really. Serie's students are explicitly an exclusive club for the talented as she stated.

Also she waited until the demon king was defeated anyway, just to be a contrarian. "Well I guess, that's done. No harm in doing the other thing now. On a whim..."
Honestly, for all we know that was Flamme's way to keep Serie out of humanity's way and let them figure stuff out for themselves.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 1, 2024

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The way that giant stone block was just instantly evaporated away into nothing was some nice animation.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

At this point they are dating but have yet to admit it to themselves.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Serie founded an organization that manages, educates and organizes like 6000 mages. Like yeah, she personally interacts only with the best of the best, but faulting her that she doesn't personally teach hundreds of apprentices each year is kinda wild.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Serie founded an organization that manages, educates and organizes like 6000 mages. Like yeah, she personally interacts only with the best of the best, but faulting her that she doesn't personally teach hundreds of apprentices each year is kinda wild.

It was stated at the beginning of the arc a couple of times that mages are much rarer now than during the battle against the demon king. Having someone in charge of magic that believes magic should only belong to the talented, the opposite of Flamme's belief, is the only explanation as to why that we've been given.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LostRook posted:

It was stated at the beginning of the arc a couple of times that mages are much rarer now than during the battle against the demon king. Having someone in charge of magic that believes magic should only belong to the talented, the opposite of Flamme's belief, is the only explanation as to why that we've been given.

There is also the whole thing about humanity no longer being in an active war for survival.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

There is also the whole thing about humanity no longer being in an active war for survival.

And that would reduce the number of mages?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine Serie has a minimum requirement for someone to even be allowed to be a 10th class apprentice.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LostRook posted:

And that would reduce the number of mages?

The same reason why the number of solders in an army plummets after a war is over. Suddenly there is a lot less of a pressing need for them so they start looking elsewhere and recruitment centers/magical academies or whatever can be a bit more picky about who they take in. Combine that with people willing to look for more options to support themselves as fighting is no longer as much of a concern and you get a squeeze on the numbers from both ways.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

The same reason why the number of solders in an army plummets after a war is over. Suddenly there is a lot less of a pressing need for them so they start looking elsewhere and recruitment centers/magical academies or whatever can be a bit more picky about who they take in. Combine that with people willing to look for more options to support themselves as fighting is no longer as much of a concern and you get a squeeze on the numbers from both ways.

Except that magic has numerous uses beyond fighting. Indeed, all the grimoires that Frieren has taken as a reward have been entirely unrelated to fighting. It's more akin to saying the number of engineers drops after a war is over.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 1, 2024

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LostRook posted:

Except that magic has numerous uses beyond fighting. Indeed, all the grimoire's that Frieren has taken as a reward have been entirely unrelated to fighting. It's more akin to saying the number of engineers drops after a war is over.

Not really. Using your analogy it is essentially after a war ends less people with a passion for maths going into the US Army Corps of Engineers and instead taking a different path.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Not really. Using your analogy it is essentially after a war ends less people with a passion for maths going into the US Army Corps of Engineers and instead taking a different path.

It's your analogy and it largely proves my point, because what other path is there to take? People with a passion for magic have only one other option demonstrated so far, it which is to be a priest. Bit of gulf there.

Magic academies being more selective would be a direct result of Serie taking over more than anything else demonstrated in the narrative.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
that was a lot of talking. damnit, now i have to wait a whole nother week for all the cool finale animation

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Yeah they clearly decided to load all the action into one mega-episode

probably gonna be another one like ep. 9 next week

(not that the way they chose to animate the lightning spell wasn't cool as gently caress because it was)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I think the implication here is that not everyone who can use magic is a mage. An artisan who knows like two spells to help with their work won't bother to take the mage exams. Mages are the ones who exclusively dedicate themselves to mastering magic as their business.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That seems likely, although it's weird that we haven't seen it, because it's fairly obvious from how the class system works that being an official "mage" is about being able to handle yourself in combat, not turn water into wine or smith enchanted shoes.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I think the implication here is that not everyone who can use magic is a mage. An artisan who knows like two spells to help with their work won't bother to take the mage exams. Mages are the ones who exclusively dedicate themselves to mastering magic as their business.

Yeah, Frieren even learns a spell from a non-mage in one episode I think? Magic is just a thing for humanity at this point but you don't have to be a mage (which seems to imply battle).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LostRook posted:

Except that magic has numerous uses beyond fighting. Indeed, all the grimoires that Frieren has taken as a reward have been entirely unrelated to fighting. It's more akin to saying the number of engineers drops after a war is over.

That's all folk magic tho. Like sure, there are only 6000 registered Imperial mages, but there are probably countless hedge wizards casting spells that make tea boil faster, they're just don't make the list.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That brief shot of Frieren and her clone moving their shields to follow each others' aim was rad as hell