Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the truth is, as always, somewhere in the middle :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Everything feels so worn out and tired.

Today I took a mandatory technical product training. It's a recorded presentation by a top expert in a database software. The video training goes out to a group of about 20 people who will support it at a deep level including crash recovery, migrations, configurations etc. The video is actually really interesting but then 30 minutes in the guy goes "sorry everyone I have a meeting starting in a few minutes so I won't be able to get to all the slides" and he skips what is clearly more than half the content, flipping through slides, and the video ends.

Like clearly he has done this presentation a dozen times before, but this is the one that's recorded and sent to everyone?? I guess nobody watched it before deciding this was good enough for training.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I needed to talk to my bank about my mortgage, figured it would be easier to do in person. Walked in and only saw two or three people standing around, waiting. After 45 seconds or so, one teller came around the corner from the back. Through 5 layers of plexiglass, I told her I needed to talk to someone about my mortgage. She informed me that they only had one banker, and two people were already waiting to talk to him. She then advised that I could call the number on the letter I was sent. Sensing my hesitation, she informed me that, were I to wait for the banker to talk to me, he would just bring me into his office and dial the customer service number with me.

Love that every single place of business and point of contact for essential service is reduced to the barest skeleton crew of useless poo poo at all times.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ALFbrot posted:

I needed to talk to my bank about my mortgage, figured it would be easier to do in person. Walked in and only saw two or three people standing around, waiting. After 45 seconds or so, one teller came around the corner from the back. Through 5 layers of plexiglass, I told her I needed to talk to someone about my mortgage. She informed me that they only had one banker, and two people were already waiting to talk to him. She then advised that I could call the number on the letter I was sent. Sensing my hesitation, she informed me that, were I to wait for the banker to talk to me, he would just bring me into his office and dial the customer service number with me.

Love that every single place of business and point of contact for essential service is reduced to the barest skeleton crew of useless poo poo at all times.

I need a signature from a particular banker and I am on the verge of tracking him down at home because this motherfucker is never available.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ALFbrot posted:

You can't talk about mortgages at my bank either, they looked at us like we were weird when we walked in to ask. You call the number and do it online.

But they don't have any layers of plexiglass. The staff are fully exposed on all sides behind their desks... because they don't handle cash. I wanted to pay in some cash after we'd opened our accounts, but before they'd sent us our debit cards, and there was no way to do this. You had to use the machines, which only work with a card.

Then during the pandemic they ripped the machines out as well (as I discovered when I cycled across town for a rare cash deposit), and replaced them with signs advertising the new multi-bank ATM network, the nearest of which was... right by my house! Which is actually quite convenient, but as far as I can tell the bank branch is now solely used for looking at people's ID when they first open an account.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I opened a checking account at a tiny credit union near where I recently moved to and about a week later, deposited my paycheck, only for it to deduct the 500 something dollar check from my account and then do it again the next day. that happened on a friday night into saturday morning, so when i woke up and saw my account was -1000 in the hole plus some pending overdraft charges, i tried calling the bank only to find out they dont have anyone there on the weekend. monday rolls around so i just go to the bank rather than trying to call them and explain everything to them. the manager was as confused as i was but fixed everything. then i told him i'd like to close my account and he got offended and was all "but i just fixed everything!" motherfucker, imagine if i had some bills going out, or actually needed money over the weekend

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This thread reminds me of a scene from the show I have running right now. It's a autobiographical one man show in which I dive deep into my emotions using the characters from my life to explore this silly little thing called Literally A Person. It has so much heart but also it has humour too. Three showstopping hours of pure entertainment.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

This thread reminds me of a scene from the show I have running right now. It's a autobiographical one man show in which I dive deep into my emotions using the characters from my life to explore this silly little thing called Literally A Person. It has so much heart but also it has humour too. Three showstopping hours of pure entertainment.

:frogout:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Apparently the sun is entering end-of-life.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cerekk posted:

Apparently the sun is entering end-of-life.

Sun outage

en.m.wikipedia.org posted:

A Sun outage, Sun transit, or Sun fade is an interruption in or distortion of geostationary satellite signals caused by interference (background noise) of the Sun when it falls directly behind a satellite which an Earth station is trying to receive data from or transmit data to. It usually occurs briefly to such satellites twice per year and such Earth stations install temporary or permanent guards to their receiving systems to prevent equipment damage.

Sun outages occur before the March equinox (in February and March) and after the September equinox (in September and October) for the Northern Hemisphere, and occur after the March equinox and before the September equinox for the Southern Hemisphere. At these times, the apparent path of the Sun across the sky takes it directly behind the line of sight between an Earth station and a satellite. The Sun radiates strongly across the entire spectrum, including the microwave frequencies used to communicate with satellites (C band, Ku band, and Ka band), so the Sun swamps the signal from the satellite. The effects of a Sun outage range from partial degradation (increase in the error rate) to the total destruction of the signal. The effect sweeps from north to south from approximately 20 February to 20 April, and from south to north from approximately 20 August to 20 October, affecting any specific location for less than 12 minutes a day for a few consecutive days.

## Effect on Indian stock exchanges

In India, the BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange) and NSE (National Stock Exchange) use VSATs (Very Small Aperture Terminals) for members (e.g. stockbrokers) to connect to their trading systems. VSATs depend upon satellites for connectivity between the terminals/systems. Hence, these exchanges are, with considerable predictability, affected by the annual Sun outages. Both typically close from 11:45 to 12:30 during "Sun outages" — times vary depending on the Earth's orbit and satellites' exact locations. The interference to satellites' signals has been shown to disturb smooth transmission of data of online transactions so, for fairness, these share markets are closed for these short times each year. Trading is normally extended the same day to compensate for the lost time.

## Other locations

Saint Helena suffers from island-wide loss of Internet and telecommunications connections during Sun outages because all telecommunications traffic to and from the island is carried on a single satellite link. Sun outage times are published in local newspapers.

As the majority of rural Alaska is served by satellite, population centers like Utqiaġvik, Kotzebue, and Nome suffer from this as well. Nome is the terminus of the annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, and due to its timing, announcements of the finishers are often delayed during these Sun outages.

## See also

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

ALFbrot posted:

its not by accident

They really do think they can eliminate every instance of discretion among their employees, every moment of thinking for yourself, and the idea of a manager who lifts their finger to do "Low level" things (as you sort of needed from that banker), is a Bad Manager Costing the Business. It's like those genius memes with equations pasted all over, except with things like "Hotline for Mortgage Help" and "automated receptionist" and poo poo.

and then on the flipside you have things like mortgage hotlines because undoubtedly some piece of poo poo at a small bank branch did awful poo poo to some unsuspecting lendee

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Joke

quote:

A joke is a display of humour in which words are used within a specific and well-defined narrative structure to make people laugh and is usually not meant to be interpreted literally.[1] It usually takes the form of a story, often with dialogue, and ends in a punch line, whereby the humorous element of the story is revealed; this can be done using a pun or other type of word play, irony or sarcasm, logical incompatibility, hyperbole, or other means.[2] Linguist Robert Hetzron offers the definition:

A joke is a short humorous piece of oral literature in which the funniness culminates in the final sentence, called the punchline… In fact, the main condition is that the tension should reach its highest level at the very end. No continuation relieving the tension should be added. As for its being "oral," it is true that jokes may appear printed, but when further transferred, there is no obligation to reproduce the text verbatim, as in the case of poetry.[3]

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Sounds like Kentucky might get a whole lot shittier for no good reason:

https://kypolicy.org/house-bill-500-takes-away-kentucky-workers-lunch-and-rest-breaks-and-cuts-their-pay/

quote:

House Bill (HB) 500, which may receive a vote in the full House soon, would take away Kentucky workers’ rights to lunch and rest breaks at work and would eliminate pay protections, including for time spent traveling to and from a job site during work hours. It is an assault on longstanding basic rights and dignities on the job that will harm practically all Kentucky workers. Specifically, HB 500:

Repeals the requirement that employers provide a lunch break. Since a state law passed in 1974, businesses must provide a lunch break every three to five hours, but that right would be eliminated under HB 500. Instead, HB 500 says only that a worker required to keep working without a lunch break can’t be denied pay if they juggle eating something while on the job. However, if the employer does provide a lunch break and they discover a worker eating at another time while on the clock, they will not be required to pay them for that time — even a worker who needs a snack for medical reasons.

Repeals the requirement that employers provide a rest break. Currently, employers must provide at least a 10-minute rest break for each four hours of work in addition to a scheduled lunch period. HB 500 takes away that right, which was established in 1958.

Repeals the requirement that employees who work seven days in a row receive time-and-a-half overtime pay. Current law, which has been in place since 1942, incentivizes employers to give workers a rest day to allow the opportunity for them to recover and spend time with their families, but that incentive would go away.

Eliminates employer liability for failure to provide proper pay for work time spent traveling between jobs and for time spent on certain activities associated with starting and wrapping up a job. Employers could not be punished for failing to provide minimum wages or overtime pay for travel to and from a work site and for activities that are in preparation for, or part of the wind-down from, a work activity — such as donning and doffing personal protective equipment in a hazardous work environment.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Descendents? In this economy?

As dearly as I love my 5-year-old son, I feel genuine guilt about the world he was born into.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

gently caress the south.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

gently caress the south.

We’re plenty hosed as-is. Thank you.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Does this mean I'll see a cent more from my investments? Yes? Okay then what's the problem?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
When I was doing the immigration thing I needed a letter from my bank stating what my balance was at the first of the month for the last year or something. I had my accounts with them for almost 20 years but they wouldn't do it. Apparently the manager wouldn't do this unless I physically came into the bank, because what if this was a fraud attempt. I explained that I was on the other side of the planet and this was not possible but she refused. I offered to write the letter, with the correct amounts and she refused because what if I was a fraudster? I explained that I was logged in right now, and that I had full access to my accounts, and that if I was a fraudster wouldn't I just forge a signature?

Eventually she caved and said she would sign the letter if I sent her a photo of myself in front of the Australian consulate holding that day's newspaper. She expected me to fly to another city to take a proof of life photo. Lunacy.

E: she also refused to sign a letter stating she wouldn't sign the statement of balance letter.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 1, 2024

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

y'all remember when encyclopedias came on a CD-ROM? those were the days

redshirt posted:

Encarta's all you need!

An Increasingly desperate Grolier's Encyclopedia offers to complete student essays in exchange for fruit roll ups / unopened candy bars

Brian McCoy from Form 3B's gross peanut butter and gherkin sandwiches "still right out", claims publishing giant's CEO.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

We're rapidly tumbling toward a world where if you need any kind of customer service at all, any kind of assistance from a human being who might understand the problem, you will instead be directed to "Talk to the AI," which of course won't really know poo poo. Everyone who already got in under the wire and has a nice, cushy, do-nothing-really administrative job will be sitting pretty for a while as the rest of us shamble toward the DS9 Sanctuary Districts.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Slap some cheese and lunch meat between the pages of an old encyclopedia and you got yourself a cheap and filling meal.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

ALFbrot posted:

The magic word is refinance
bring a competitors brochure
explain that they have an hour and you came here to talk to a person
fight boomer with boomer
its a loving bank

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Animal-Mother posted:

We're rapidly tumbling toward a world where if you need any kind of customer service at all, any kind of assistance from a human being who might understand the problem, you will instead be directed to "Talk to the AI," which of course won't really know poo poo. Everyone who already got in under the wire and has a nice, cushy, do-nothing-really administrative job will be sitting pretty for a while as the rest of us shamble toward the DS9 Sanctuary Districts.

This was in 2017! Basically the before times.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Desert Bus posted:

Slap some cheese and lunch meat between the pages of an old encyclopedia and you got yourself a cheap and filling meal.

I'd say they're ideal for food storage in general. Nothing quite has the icy chill as the center pages of an old encyclopedia.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Animal-Mother posted:

Would you like some EXTRA BIG rear end FRIES?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Armacham posted:

Would you like some EXTRA BIG rear end FRIES?

Im tryna obtain essential calories and nutrients to survive another day but my fries are dummy thicc and their clapping keeps confusing the AI assistant.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Microsoft immediately moved that dumbass copilot poo poo from the middle of the taskbar to the bottom right so now something I will never use is making me think I constantly have updates pending :argh:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Trying to remember the last time Microsoft changed something and I was like, "Oh this is much better. Thank you."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

wash bucket posted:

Trying to remember the last time Microsoft changed something and I was like, "Oh this is much better. Thank you."

Default clipping tool bound to printscrn.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

My boss is a true AI believer. He keeps trying to get me to get a ChatGPT subscription (which I wouldn't be reimbursed for) to do my job for me. He demonstrated the incredible capabilities of ChatGPT 4 by calling me into his office to show me how great it was at writing code. And, yeah, after letting the codebot have a few mulligans and some edits and debugging, it worked.

So, yeah, I'm not getting a subscription to ChatGPT.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Salt Fish posted:

that was jarring to wake up to randomly one day, but I appreciated it in the end

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

wash bucket posted:

When they decided to move on from Windows ME.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Not trying to be a smartass, but this feature existed since Win10 using [Win] + [Shift] + S. I mean, it's good to have a one-key shortcut for a useful feature instead three keys, but that's literally the bare minimum.

Well, I guess the bare minimum would be to make it a two-key shortcut.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Windows 95 let you capture the entire screen with prtscrn.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TotalLossBrain posted:

Windows 95 let you capture the entire screen with prtscrn.

Yeah but screens are 6x the resolution now

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MrQwerty posted:

Yeah but screens are 6x the resolution now

Back then it was a nice new feature to have built in.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
prtscrn just lets you select what you want to take a screenshot of now, if you want full screen, you can, if you want multi-monitor, you can, if you want one pixel, you can do that too. i'm pretty sure they were saying that it was an actual improvement

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Agent Smith was right, humanity peaked in 1999

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Time_pants posted:

My boss is a true AI believer. He keeps trying to get me to get a ChatGPT subscription (which I wouldn't be reimbursed for) to do my job for me. He demonstrated the incredible capabilities of ChatGPT 4 by calling me into his office to show me how great it was at writing code. And, yeah, after letting the codebot have a few mulligans and some edits and debugging, it worked.

So, yeah, I'm not getting a subscription to ChatGPT.

Not a Good Sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For real, if you don't have 6 months of savings ready to go you need to start getting resumes out. That level of tech fad obsession combined with small business owner mba brain is terminal, you've put a target on yourself