Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

surgeons are usually co owners of their practice. what would walking off the job do besides delay surgeries
I’m not trying to be smart I just don’t understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

surgeons are usually co owners of their practice. what would walking off the job do besides delay surgeries
I’m not trying to be smart I just don’t understand

Most surgeons (and most physicians) are individuals in large consolidated providers now

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34961617/

quote:

Results: From 2012 to 2020, practicing general surgeons increased from 20,044 to 20,637 (+3%). Unique general surgery practices declined from 8178 to 6489 (-21%). The percentage of surgeons in practices of 1 or 2 declined from 19% to 12%, while surgeons in groups of 500 or more grew from 20% to 31%.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just have the doctor pay for treatment of anyone that can't afford it. How many people could that be? 1 or 2 a year?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Now the ISM readings are painting a more dire ppicture. All of manufacturing is in contraction except inflation according to their report
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1763580447181754670?t=gZeTziMgkUgY3ywVOszi9A&s=19
Here is the report in full.
https://twitter.com/ism/status/1763580809322352884?t=4K_fguAU2Bt5tZ2wWSbsNQ&s=19

Uofm readings are starting to deteriorate again too. Inflation expectations did not change which is bad.
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1763580708495192539?t=SMbzzsBT2UU4ROZvXK1WXQ&s=19

January construction spending showed contraction. Continued lower than expected readings of this is a sign of recession.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1763580232160756181?t=dtvPDUGqd0ju3XS2VCa1jQ&s=19

Possibly the 2 manufacturing readings could be a preview of surprise upside inflation reading for February.

Nothing like a steady stream of misses to start the month off. Cuts soon imo

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
having any material possessions at all that you haven't given to people with less than you? Yep, that's a landlordin'

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Most surgeons (and most physicians) are individuals in large consolidated providers now

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34961617/

without reading the article your quoted but doesn’t mean much to me

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

without reading the article your quoted but doesn’t mean much to me

The scenario you mentioned, "surgeons owning their own practices", ain't a thing anymore. They're all corporate employees now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you quote doesn’t support that conclusion and I can’t read the article so :shrug:

Apr 7, 2003

If the number of surgeons in practices of 1-2 practitioners is down to 12% while the number of surgeons in practices of 500+ is up to 31%, what's your takeaway there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that you don’t know what your talking about

Apr 7, 2003

"I've formed a practice with 500 other surgeons, we're all co-owners and definitely not employees of a conglomerate" - America's Smartest Lawyer

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

The number one cost driver for healthcare in the United States is hospital / provider consolidation, which lets providers like KP or UPMC charge whatever they want, because gently caress you, where else are you going? The days of a physician being a self-employed professional who shows up, does his thing, and has his office staff send a bill are long over, these people are corporate employees like anyone else and their compensation is not directly reflected in what the healthcare conglomerate bills for his services. He's powerless to affect any of that.

I think part of the problem here is that my argument is "surgeons don't deserve your sympathy or emotional labor for their bad feels" and your argument is "why can't surgeons do something about the system they're a part of" and I just figured out where the mismatch is

You think posting on Twitter is doing something about a problem

Go outside please

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What kind of surgery does he do

Apr 7, 2003

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

You think posting on Twitter is doing something about a problem

When did I say that?

The mismatch is that most surgeons are not individual practitioners who determine the conditions under which they practice. They are corporate employees of KP, UPMC, or other large consolidated providers and have no more say over their working conditions than an accountant at KPMG does.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

thread needs surgery to remove stick from rear end

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
🤔
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1763606682251178237?t=JTXi6aPw6NsQQyjWbiAwsw&s=19
https://twitter.com/Newsquawk/status/1763606686932021720?t=ZHNtPmp3DIMaagBEQUMhKg&s=19

1 month left

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

tbh the surgeon co-ownership / partnership thing is becoming a bit of a red herring anyway because even surgeons in traditional small practices who would be making bank are getting besieged in that model by the hospital networks and integrated healthcare systems that have snapped up control of all their referring physicians and ORs. they're still extremely well compensated at the moment but the writing's on the wall at this point. they're either going to accept buy-outs or be cast out onto the tundra.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ghoulsbee

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
This thread needs surgery to remove all the cancerous posts about some nobody on Twitter.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

selec posted:

"One in a million shot, Doc!"

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

gop governors are usually better for state employees . at least that has been the trend

in PA

not generally

They were for PSP but not for DEP or anyone else.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

selec posted:

I am a tree surgeon and can do this for a good price but I'm gonna warn you any stump grinding is going to cost ya.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I don't see a problem with someone working within a lovely system being publicly mad about having to work within the lovely system, even if it doesn't fix anything. I think it's good that people are aware that some orthopedic surgeons also think it sucks rear end

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

triple sulk posted:

https://www.scribd.com/document/709742948/Musk-vs-OpenAI

gently caress me, who do you root for in this situation beyond the meteor

god he's so loving dumb

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Thuryl posted:

insurers would have to pay out more claims if doctors did that so their contracts with doctors heavily restrict them from doing it, you might be able to do it once or twice but if you make a habit of it no insurer is going to pay out claims for you any more

also if you waive/pay the copayment for a Medicare patient outside of exceptional circumstances it's literally a federal felony. cool country

Ah, yes, haven't had a hellworld reminder in a bit. loving hell.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gold and nasdaq have hit intraday all time highs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

surgeons are usually co owners of their practice.

Getting less and less common over time as senior physicians sell out their practices to private equity.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Getting less and less common over time as senior physicians sell out their practices to private equity.

all the private veterinaries here are also selling out to giant private equity conglomerates the past few years en masse

and of course service et al gets vastly worse too

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My friend had to put off a hysterectomy for like 4 years because of funding and surgeons deciding to not do the surgery because of risk and also raising the price. The mass they pulled out eventually was larger than a persons fist.

I actually tried to get in on the GameStop thing a little bit in the hopes of being able to get her the surgery :smith:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If we lived in a functioning society we would have a free, safe "AmericaOS" with all of the NSA backdoors built right in.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nanomashoes posted:

If we lived in a functioning society we would have a free, safe "AmericaOS" with all of the NSA backdoors built right in.

it’s called windows, OP

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Gold and nasdaq have hit intraday all time highs

Working hard, thank you!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

loving hate it here

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sorry but he has insurance and made a rational market decision about the costs and benefits of that surgery, ACA working as intended and please stop helping republicans

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had assumed doctors would not so willingly put themselves in situations where their ethical obligations to their patients was compromised by their employment agreements but I guess my opinion of medical ethics is too high

I apologize to fentanyl cloud

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

I had assumed doctors would not so willingly put themselves in situations where their ethical obligations to their patients was compromised by their employment agreements but I guess my opinion of medical ethics is too high

I apologize to fentanyl cloud

[url]https://www.beckersasc.com/asc-news/upmc-surgeon-to-pay-8-5m-for-allegedly-performing-multiple-complex-surgeries-at-once.html/url]

quote:

The lawsuit alleges that Dr. Luketich was allowed to schedule and perform multiple complex surgeries at once, forcing him to move between operating rooms, and even hospitals, while procedures were ongoing.

Patients were often made to stay under anesthesia for long periods of time. One patient alleges that Dr. Luketich's actions resulted in lost parts of a hand, while another alleges they lost a lower leg as a result.

Dr. Luketich allegedly performed up to three complex surgeries at the same time, allowing for the health system to bill more procedures through Medicare.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

I think part of the problem here is that my argument is "surgeons don't deserve your sympathy or emotional labor for their bad feels"

lol hope you don't need surgery ever

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

[url]https://www.beckersasc.com/asc-news/upmc-surgeon-to-pay-8-5m-for-allegedly-performing-multiple-complex-surgeries-at-once.html/url]

This poor surgeon, a victim of the healthcare administrator he worked for, powerless to stop himself or the machine he was a gear in

:jerkbag:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i think it's good for workers stuck in a lovely system to have solidarity with one another, even if they make different amounts o fmoney

but i'm just sick and twisted like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

This poor surgeon, a victim of the healthcare administrator he worked for, powerless to stop himself or the machine he was a gear in

:jerkbag:

lol