Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Legend of Bill is clearly the strip he's putting effort into (not that it's working, but still, effort) and so Intelligent Life is even more autopilot than it was originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 29, 2002)

On the Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy the Pinhead

Rae the Doe , which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hey, at least Intelligent Life has stopped pretending that every nerdy thing is great.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Legend of Bill is clearly the strip he's putting effort into (not that it's working, but still, effort) and so Intelligent Life is even more autopilot than it was originally.

Which is honestly impressive, considering Legend of Bill is basically High Fantasy 9CL.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Haifisch posted:

Elsewhere: Some nobodies are getting married, and they're even making the kids read about it.

I thought this was snark/sarcasm until I realised it was a educational supplement.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 07, 1962)

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Kennel posted:

Hey, at least Intelligent Life has stopped pretending that every nerdy thing is great.

This was my thought, a year or two ago you would have had the same comics, with the same characters, in the same pose, talking excitedly about how much they love NEW MARVEL IP

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6_Wp-zO34
(I honestly don't know what a polka sounds like, that song seems a bit slow?)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

catlord posted:

I hate this comic and I hate that the author thinks this is what loving nerds like me want to read. How has he regressed so far from Legend of Bill? Legend of Bill isn't even good!

Meaning no disrespect to the poster, whenever I accidentally read Intelligent Life, I imagine it's how it felt in medieval times to walk by a house just when someone's emptying their chamber pot out the window.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/29/04

Brenda Starr 9/25-27/52

Smokey Stover 1/31/60

Everyday Movies 4/17/37

"Mummy, can we have some gin bottles to play house with?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/25-27/43

Closer Than We Think! 1/31/60

Radebaugh's description isn't really clear, but the Dyna-Soar was an early attempt at creating a space plane that could be boosted into near-orbit by a rocket and then fly and land on its own.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 9/25-27/52

This is a comic about how the postman is going to masturbate.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Luann sucks but in that comic, I do like how she is giving B the side-eye like, you making GBS threads me, aren't you the therapist? Why are you telling me this poo poo?

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(2/25/1994)

(2/26/1994)

Ziggy

(9/22/1971)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

amigolupus posted:

I don't know what Piro was expecting when he trusted Benice with his problems. He clearly knew she would try to gossip about it to everyone.

Since they're riffing on Laurel and Hardy, it's interesting that Bernice is cast as the dopey one.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 10, 1936)

Peanuts (March 4, 1977)

Cranky McShafterbean

Rip Haywire: Ka-FUGITIVE!

Li'l Abner (December 23-25, 1935)

Thimble Theater (October 4, 1940)

Out Our Way (February 17-19, 1944)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This isn't a criticism of Sally Forth but just an observation: the series about how awful it is to survive winter would hit its mark a lot more cleanly if a lot of the winter I've experienced didn't have temperatures almost touching 70 degrees. Granted, there have been a few bitterly cold periods and snow showers, but it's hardly "bleak midwinter" out there for me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

different parts of the world have different climates

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

different parts of the world have different climates

I know, but this has also been an unusually warm winter, if I'm not mistaken.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I know, but this has also been an unusually warm winter, if I'm not mistaken.

'Sup fellow warm winter buddy?

Yeah it has, but my guess is that this plotline was probably planned out months ago, and it probably makes more sense to tell a more generally relatable story about endless, cold, grey, winter, than "unseasonably warm".

There will certainly be a "We're hosed, climate change is real, why have you done nothing" plot line in Sally Forth, rest assured.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So I think I have the comics-fetching script working again after the Comics Kingdom redesign, at least for Mac/Linux/WSL. I'm still tweaking it a little, and of course translating it for the Windows users (and cursing how Powershell makes extremely simple text-string wrangling so drat complicated). I'll make a separate post later today with the updated code.

Bizarro

Whoa, they even destroyed all the Bizarro hidden symbols.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I hereby title this drawing "Anime Girl With Hangover".

Flash Gordon

Oh, like happened to Geordi and Ro that one time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, May 10-15, 1984

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

This is a comic about how the postman is going to masturbate.

The Postman Always Wanks Twice

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Bonus Comic! Look who I found in the 1977 funny pages!

FAP!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

THORN, May 10-15, 1984

I can only imagine the confusion of the casual Lantern reader who might remember a strip from a few semesters ago where some cartoon animals talked about Facts of Life and Webster.

Do we know if editorial ever bothered Smith about getting too weird with his Pogo homage gag-a-day strip?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Samovar posted:

Blueberry

:f5: :f5: :f5:

poo poo got real. AGAIN! What a cliffhanger!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

It's like he just realized that maybe sometimes nerds might actually like bitching, just a little bit.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

What a bunch of dogs and a raccoon want with poker chips I don't even know

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 2, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 3, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(January 31, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 24, 1919)

Us Boys(March 1, 1912)

The Gumps(March 30, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 26, 1913)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (August 15-17, 2005)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

All of these sucked, but I'm especially peeved about this one as a skeptic turned Way of Water diehard. That movie was a blast and a reminder that Jim Cameron is probably the best action/SFX director to ever work in cinema; be excited that he wants to devote his AARP years to making more 3-hour spectacles where his giant blue cat people softball environmentalist messaging between virtuoso white-knuckle action sequences.

And also - this isn't news! Cameron has been going on about his 5+ movie plan for 15 years now, your time to bag on him for this was a decade ago!

:siren: HAUNTED DOLL WATCH :siren:

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Bad Machinery continues in Yvonmukluk's stead.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This isn't a criticism of Sally Forth but just an observation: the series about how awful it is to survive winter would hit its mark a lot more cleanly if a lot of the winter I've experienced didn't have temperatures almost touching 70 degrees. Granted, there have been a few bitterly cold periods and snow showers, but it's hardly "bleak midwinter" out there for me.

It's especially ironic given that (I'm pretty sure) Jim Keefe is from somewhere in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, and that Sally Forth is nominally set somewhere around here too. The high was 63 degrees on Monday this week, there's some real cognitive dissonance for me in these recent strips

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can only imagine the confusion of the casual Lantern reader who might remember a strip from a few semesters ago where some cartoon animals talked about Facts of Life and Webster.

Do we know if editorial ever bothered Smith about getting too weird with his Pogo homage gag-a-day strip?
The only indication I can find in any of the book's foreward or back matter is mentioning that it's dropped after Spring 1985 to allow other student artists to have space in the paper. There's also some mention that Jeff dropped out of school, though it's not really clear if those were related. There's no specific mention of editorial having any issues with what he was doing.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

MockingQuantum posted:

It's especially ironic given that (I'm pretty sure) Jim Keefe is from somewhere in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, and that Sally Forth is nominally set somewhere around here too. The high was 63 degrees on Monday this week, there's some real cognitive dissonance for me in these recent strips

Do what I did and set whoever is posting "Sally Forth" to ignore. Losing it and "Crankshaft" is a net positive for anyone's life.

Modesty Blaise: The Gallows Bird

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Malachite_Dragon posted:

so it's talking about 30 years before the time of the comic, got it, I've fundamentally misunderstood it up to this point apparently. I am not a particularly clever man.

30 years too soon for WWII, which did start in 1939...but not for Americans, just like how WWI started in 1914, but not for Americans. The soldiers strolling past are enlisted men [conscription is on hiatus from the Civil War until 1917 when the US enters WWI] remarking they'll just get service stripes for their efforts and no combat medals.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

Cranky McShafterbean

"Confimistic"??? I had surgery earlier today and I'm on some good drugs right now so I'm stupider than usual, but what the gently caress is this even supposed to mean? At least I can make sense of Crankshaft's aphasic malapropisms.They're not funny, but they're understandable. This is just goddamn nonsense.