Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
What happened to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What happened to it

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/1b443do/taranis_death/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

As Worf already pointed out, that's covered by the issue description - see video 4.

My idea was that maybe both your old and new PC had similar cards, like both from AMD or something. But if that's not it, I'm at a loss.

But I'm guessing if there are too many people like me, who can't replicate the error, you're poo poo out of luck. They'll probably try a couple times to find the bug, and if they fail, that's it. The bug stays forever. :shrug:

Though if more people report the same bug, Frontier will eventually start taking it seriously.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I have an AMD card and I haven't seen this, but at the same time I will say that my AMD card has 16GB of VRAM. It wouldn't shock me if they have a texture memory leak.

edit: oh i see you have a 7800xt if i scroll down. Yeah, no idea.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 1, 2024

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Um, watch that first video again at 0:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuDtUM7gOAo

It's still rendering textures, your camera is just becoming detached from your ship. It's like the renderer is confused about where the viewpoint is vs your actual position.

That's your ship, as it flies away lol

If the renderer thinks that you are this far back, at some point I assume it's going to start just not rendering things because it thinks they are outside the clipping plane.

Are you the one who is using TrackIR? It's possible that's what elite is having issues with.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 2, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Libluini posted:

My idea was that maybe both your old and new PC had similar cards, like both from AMD or something. But if that's not it, I'm at a loss.

But I'm guessing if there are too many people like me, who can't replicate the error, you're poo poo out of luck. They'll probably try a couple times to find the bug, and if they fail, that's it. The bug stays forever. :shrug:

Though if more people report the same bug, Frontier will eventually start taking it seriously.
The former PC was a i7-2600 and a 1060 6GB - I had the exact same thought as you did, up until I realized I had an old video of it on my YouTube channel where it happened on my old PC, that just wasn't public.

Cutedge posted:

I have an AMD card and I haven't seen this, but at the same time I will say that my AMD card has 16GB of VRAM. It wouldn't shock me if they have a texture memory leak.

edit: oh i see you have a 7800xt if i scroll down. Yeah, no idea.
A question for both you and Libluini: How long do you leave your game idle, when trying to replicate it?
Usually it takes hours even when the game is completely idle (moto-rockin' on the carrier).

Cutedge posted:

Um, watch that first video again at 0:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuDtUM7gOAo

It's still rendering textures, your camera is just becoming detached from your ship. It's like the renderer is confused about where the viewpoint is vs your actual position.

That's your ship, as it flies away lol

If the renderer thinks that you are this far back, at some point I assume it's going to start just not rendering things because it thinks they are outside the clipping plane.

Are you the one who is using TrackIR? It's possible that's what elite is having issues with.
Hmm, that's a very good point - the time it happened on-foot, it was also rendering arm and leg textures.
However, the odd thing is, the collision is still happening to the model, because Minisune (who helped me) was able to fly into my ship to prove that it still had collision.

I'm using a Tobii Eyetracker 5, yes - and I just checked, it was bought before the first time the bug happened.
Maybe you're onto something here, I have no idea how I'm supposed to prevent Elite Dangerous interfacing with TrackIR or Tobii's software - and it 's definitely disabled when the game is left idle.

I'm also pretty sure that every time I've caught a clip of it, the face-tracking has been turned off via the hotkey that can be set up in Tobii's software.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I’ve had the camera detached bug, and I think it only happens after long sessions

I always assumed it was some kind of memory corruption type of thing. Basically if I leave it on during the workday that’s the type of session it would require for that to happen, I think

That has happened to me on probably four different computers now since the game came out

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Taranis explosion was rad af. There's now a giant caustic exclusion zone after the Titan went supernova and you could see the explosion from supercruise, even. There's something going on in the remnant of the Titan that we can't get to, nobody can break through the caustic exclusion zone and it forces you out of supercruise just like any other exclusion zone does. Flying in realspace just starts frying your ship faster and faster until you hit a repulsive force (not the same one you use the pulse neutralizer against, this is more like a magnetic force pushing you back than a pulse). Whatever's going on in there is the answer to what comes after all the Titans are destroyed.

Also, that Titan tried to get the gently caress out at 3500ls per minute in realspace when it exploded, it was ZOOMIN

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A question for both you and Libluini: How long do you leave your game idle, when trying to replicate it?
Usually it takes hours even when the game is completely idle (moto-rockin' on the carrier).

Honestly, it's not like I was aware that there was a problem, but I think willingly I played 7+ hours at least twice without rest, and on multiple occasions I just took a short break and a nap, resulting in the game being left to run over night. Still no missing textures or cameras ripped loose. :shrug:

Did you try checking if your keyboard/mouse/flightstick are working correctly? Maybe this problem is caused by something activating the free camera or something insane like that, with Frontier, you never now what might be the cause.

Hell, just for fun, the three lasting problems I've seen on my end:

1.) Part of the exploration data recorded in my Codex is blatantly false: It claims that I at some point visited Beagle Point, but I never did. On several occasions I filed a bugreport, but either no-one understands what I'm talking about, or the bug is just too unimportant. "how far away from your start position" is forever set to what I assume is the total maximum distance allowed by the game map: Something like 65,6k light years.

2.) I couldn't buy Odyssey for my old PS4-transfer account. I just couldn't. Eventually, people on the Frontier-forum had to tell me this is because some obscure UK-law made Frontier stop using PayPal, but never actually told Non-UK customers about this, despite this apparently applying to them. After countless errors, weird glitches (at one point the Frontier-store didn't accept my address anymore) and some feedback, I eventually got Odyssey by first buying Odyssey+Base Game on Steam, then refunding the base game, then linking my Steam-account with my Frontier-account.

3.) At some point, trying to buy Arx on my alt-account just started creating errors and since then, I can't buy stuff anymore. Very nice for my wallet, but also very annoying.

Someone having their textures disappear wouldn't face me anymore, after finding out that sometimes, Frontier doesn't allow you to buy from them. :frontear: Masters of shoddy programming.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If a console player goes to the Taranis site, is it just an empty asteroid field, or is that system closed without a permit?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
A console player would see whatever was in that system before Thargoids showed up there, permanently stuck in the past before titans arrived.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HJE-Cobra posted:

A console player would see whatever was in that system before Thargoids showed up there, permanently stuck in the past before titans arrived.

As one of the few chosen ones with both PC and consoles, I got my poor PS4-account out of time hell asap.

Isn't Frontier still doing transfers? Having a second account on PC that isn't timefrozen can be useful. Hell, now I can actually be the forever lost in the void explorer I always wanted to be, and still do dumb poo poo like trading with my other account.

Anyway, at least this last resort still exists. Being timefrozen with no other option would suck.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Libluini posted:

As one of the few chosen ones with both PC and consoles, I got my poor PS4-account out of time hell asap.

Isn't Frontier still doing transfers? Having a second account on PC that isn't timefrozen can be useful. Hell, now I can actually be the forever lost in the void explorer I always wanted to be, and still do dumb poo poo like trading with my other account.

Anyway, at least this last resort still exists. Being timefrozen with no other option would suck.

https://user.frontierstore.net/user/transfer/login-origin

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is there some way to scan for biological stuff once you get on the planet that I'm missing? I do a surface scan from space but then I fly down and nothing's ever there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

smug jeebus posted:

Is there some way to scan for biological stuff once you get on the planet that I'm missing? I do a surface scan from space but then I fly down and nothing's ever there.

The trick is, as long as you're still in space and see the DSS-view of the planet, you can switch between the different types of lifeforms on the planet, which then show you things in three degrees: Absolutely nothing (planet colors are normal), habitat (absolutely nothing) in very light blue and where things are actually findable (light blue inside the very light blue zone).

You have to land in the darkest part of the blue to even have a chance. After that it's a lot of looking. Sometimes there's so much poo poo you keep stumbling across it on foot, otherwise you'll need an SRV to move around until you spot more lifeforms. Taking up in your ship and staying close to the ground is also recommended. Make sure your render settings are high enough, though. A lot of people reportedly couldn't find anything if the game helpfully rendered lifeforms only 2m away from their eyes, which made SRVs and flying of course unreliable.

Also even hell will seem a relief if you try to find white bacteria colonies on a white ice planet.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lmao video already deleted. loving internet

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was wondering, because I got a message today that Frontier had tweeted on Twitter that Taranist was "down to two hearts", which didn't seem very dead to me, at least going by Zelda-rules

and what if Taranis has a fairy? :ohdear:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Libluini posted:

The trick is, as long as you're still in space and see the DSS-view of the planet, you can switch between the different types of lifeforms on the planet, which then show you things in three degrees: Absolutely nothing (planet colors are normal), habitat (absolutely nothing) in very light blue and where things are actually findable (light blue inside the very light blue zone).

You have to land in the darkest part of the blue to even have a chance. After that it's a lot of looking. Sometimes there's so much poo poo you keep stumbling across it on foot, otherwise you'll need an SRV to move around until you spot more lifeforms. Taking up in your ship and staying close to the ground is also recommended. Make sure your render settings are high enough, though. A lot of people reportedly couldn't find anything if the game helpfully rendered lifeforms only 2m away from their eyes, which made SRVs and flying of course unreliable.

Also even hell will seem a relief if you try to find white bacteria colonies on a white ice planet.

Well thank you, guess I'll go try again

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Libluini posted:

This isn't true - The "heat map" is not really a heat map of concentrated areas, it's showing terrain altitude of where the filtered item could be. The shaded blue area is everywhere the item can be found and the areas of darker/lighter are just reflecting the planet's topography, it has no bearing on concentration of xenobiology or anything to do with finding your filtered items except for informing you about where your item can be found if it happens to be one of the ones that are altitude sensitive (for either low grav/high altitude areas, or deep areas like crevasses)

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 4, 2024

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Cycle through them to see where they are, in this case Bacterium and Fonticulua have the exact same overlay so in theory I should be able to go to the blue and see them both.

Steam screenshot seems to have a non-trivial delay for me, so it's hard to get this exact, but you can see how the darker areas are just the terrain. It's really obvious when you are flying in, but if you open these both in a new tab and quickly switch you should be able to see it somewhat.

I usually fly like 30m from the ground and look for them. Some are obvious while others (some Bacterium) are really difficult to spot. If Bacterium is all I've got left on a planet I sometimes don't bother unless the colour/terrain colour combo makes it easy.

Here is the planet from the screenshots above, you can see Bacterium on the left and Fonticulua on the right:

Fonticulua

Bacterium

If you're not finding them you might want to pop into orbit again and go somewhere else, maybe to a different blue patch entirely. Sometimes when you cycle through the different types, it might look like there is no blue, I've found that if you go closer to the planet you can usually spot really small patches within crators or deep valleys or something like that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

It’s funny to play helldivers and see how much of that game is basically already in elite except they decided to put all of the fun parts in helldivers

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

This isn't true - The "heat map" is not really a heat map of concentrated areas, it's showing terrain altitude of where the filtered item could be. The shaded blue area is everywhere the item can be found and the areas of darker/lighter are just reflecting the planet's topography, it has no bearing on concentration of xenobiology or anything to do with finding your filtered items except for informing you about where your item can be found if it happens to be one of the ones that are altitude sensitive (for either low grav/high altitude areas, or deep areas like crevasses)

I've found blue on completely flat terrain, so you're dead wrong there

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I believe the point being made is that the shade of blue doesn't correlate to the density of genetic signatures like you would sort of expect if it was a "heat map". The blue in general is just like an overlay of it's "habitat" if you can call it that? Like, it's binary, where it is possible you will find the specific signature and the different shades of blue just represent the underlying terrain which is unrelated.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yea, it looks like a heatmap but isn't one.
ED has a bunch of UI idiosyncrasies that really ought to be ironed out, but probably won't be.

For example, the target destination circle (the big one that looks sort-of like a G) duplicates information found in the compass rose - so gently caress you, if you ever lose your cockpit and haven't learnt to navigate with the compass rose.
Speaking of the target destination circle, the ETA should really be down in the target box in the bottom-left corner below the optimal speed and distance indicators.

Another example is how quite-important information (such as type information for the star you're jumping to) is put on a scrolling list up at the top-right corner that can be completely hidden by some warning elements.
Speaking of those warning elements, some of them are in the middle of the screen, while others are up in the top-right corner.

And there's even fun stuff like the jump information box simply not appearing, if you're still refueling from a star - which I do quite often when mission-running for DF, as the Python can safely navigate around a star and jump before it overheats to the point of internal damage.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Speaking of the target destination circle, the ETA should really be down in the target box in the bottom-left corner below the optimal speed and distance indicators.
Who cares? The ETA not factoring in speed changes in a system that doesn't allow you to fly at a constant speed makes it functionally useless. Seriously, this one drives me nuts and should have just been left out of the game if they couldn't at least factor in the destination's gravity well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

Who cares? The ETA not factoring in speed changes in a system that doesn't allow you to fly at a constant speed makes it functionally useless. Seriously, this one drives me nuts and should have just been left out of the game if they couldn't at least factor in the destination's gravity well.
Counterpoint: Without the ETA, you can't hot-drop.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

smug jeebus posted:

Skill issue.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Can you explain? Have I been slowly throttling down out of super-cruise like a chump when I could be smashing into my destination like the kool aid man?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Xik posted:

Can you explain? Have I been slowly throttling down out of super-cruise like a chump when I could be smashing into my destination like the kool aid man?
You can probably search through this thread for instructions from someone who's done this recently, but from what I remember:
1) Enable supercruise assist
2) Once established, throttle back up to 100%, out of assist range
3) When ETA drops down to about 5-6 seconds, throttle back into assist range (you will be coming in very quickly)
4) Assist reactivates, realizes you're in range to drop, and drops you in normally without caring about speed

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

I believe the point being made is that the shade of blue doesn't correlate to the density of genetic signatures like you would sort of expect if it was a "heat map". The blue in general is just like an overlay of it's "habitat" if you can call it that? Like, it's binary, where it is possible you will find the specific signature and the different shades of blue just represent the underlying terrain which is unrelated.

That seems bizarre, and doesn't conform to my experience. And I even only learned about this when I found an online-guide who makes intensive use of third-party-tools to find his biologicals, so it would be even odder if they got that particular info wrong.

Frontier's bad UI-design making multiple people lose their mind about how it works on the internet is on point, though. :frontear: always delivers hilarity that way.

At least the DSS-UI doesn't demand my credit card credentials to scan. :v:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Libluini posted:

I've found blue on completely flat terrain, so you're dead wrong there

"flat" is topography

From the science guys at Canonn:

quote:

If you flip between combat mode and analysis mode you can see that the different shades tend to correspond to different terrain types so the teal green areas will be showing you what terrain to look for, this will help guide you to the surface when the overlay is removed after the glide.

You can see in the slider image below how the green areas correspond to the flat areas that the Fonticulua on this planet prefer.

https://canonn.science/codex/organic-scanning-guide/

It's counterintuitive like everything Frontier does, but the shading is based on terrain and topography, not density of biologicals.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 5, 2024

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Spire farming is pretty nice. Made like 10 bil in the past week blasting goids in the AXI private group.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Xik posted:

FebrezeNinja described the basics of it, and I happen to have a video from a while ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xL33gLeVzg

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

"flat" is topography

From the science guys at Canonn:

https://canonn.science/codex/organic-scanning-guide/

It's counterintuitive like everything Frontier does, but the shading is based on terrain and topography, not density of biologicals.

Sounds plausible. And I trust the weirdos at Canonn more than some half-remembered Redditor.

Would also explain why sometimes, even following the Reddit-guide I found would not work. Because of this, I made it my rule to never hunt for biologicals anymore if there aren't at least two different ones. Also my poor eyes can stand only so much looking at light blue backgrounds nowadays, so this is literally a pain-minimizing measure. :v:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Eyud posted:

Spire farming is pretty nice. Made like 10 bil in the past week blasting goids in the AXI private group.

yowsa. Is this ship combat on the surface? Or SRV stuff?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Libluini posted:

Sounds plausible. And I trust the weirdos at Canonn more than some half-remembered Redditor.

Would also explain why sometimes, even following the Reddit-guide I found would not work. Because of this, I made it my rule to never hunt for biologicals anymore if there aren't at least two different ones. Also my poor eyes can stand only so much looking at light blue backgrounds nowadays, so this is literally a pain-minimizing measure. :v:

Yeah exobio is a great money maker if you stick to targeting stratum tectonicas because they sell for 19,000,000 and if you're first scan, it quadruples

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FebrezeNinja posted:

You can probably search through this thread for instructions from someone who's done this recently, but from what I remember:
3) When ETA drops down to about 5-6 seconds, throttle back into assist range (you will be coming in very quickly)
4) Assist reactivates, realizes you're in range to drop, and drops you in normally without caring about speed

i just swing my craft up and down like a yo yo and slam into the planet because i cba to lose a slot to supercruise assist

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FebrezeNinja posted:

The best part of this is when I hot drop out at such speed that I get a brief flash of my ship warping through a station, giving me a heart attack

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Remember when Frontier added Thargoids and didn't tell anyone until some random dude got pulled out of witch space and scared the poo poo out of themselves and no one believed them because they were the only one?

Why can't they go back to doing cool poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Cutedge posted:

yowsa. Is this ship combat on the surface? Or SRV stuff?

Ship combat, group farming Orthruses for 40 mil a pop

If everyone is coordinated it adds up real quick