Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warmachine posted:

I've also been getting better at 'bullfighting' them. Bait them into a charge, dive out of the way at the last second, then mag-dump into the weakspot.

Do you shoot the legs or the rear end? the leg joints are better and there's a glitch or whatever to just shoot their front legs' armor for full damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Do you shoot the legs or the rear end? the leg joints are better and there's a glitch or whatever to just shoot their front legs' armor for full damage

I've been shooting the rear end, but I'm in middle difficulties right now. I've tried shooting at leg joints before but it never seemed to pan out for me.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

one thing thats frustrating with chargers is that everyone wants to shoot their rear end with their normal weapons and that is basically detrimental since it does so little damage

really wish there was better feedback for shooting the legs cause i see divers making this mistake constantly, even after i strip the armor off the leg

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/seiyaposting/status/1763332475093483736?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warmachine posted:

I've been shooting the rear end, but I'm in middle difficulties right now. I've tried shooting at leg joints before but it never seemed to pan out for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWiUwksefQ&t=234s

This is why I use the Stalwart exclusively. It's good against everything you would use normal guns against, and then for the more specifically armored guys that's why God invented stratagems.

With the fortified armor, crouched/prone Stalwart is laser-accurate. People sleep on it because of the lack of armor-piercing or whatever but I mostly play Rambo so if there's an enemy I'm not able to take down I just book it anyways

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 1, 2024

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Warmachine posted:

that rear end is only a weakspot if you use explosive weapons on it, otherwise youre only doing 10% of your normal damage. try aiming for the back of the legs instead, tho that is a much harder shot

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Shooting the butt is bad but also literally the only option unless you use that bugged vulnerability the chargers get sometimes which is pretty inconsistent. It's one of my general issues with how chargers are designed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ijyt posted:

ok so?

Honestly I don't care if they don't nerf it but would love some other guns to get some love from the devs. The other shotty feels like crap.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

New field item pickup - Literacola. Used on pickup, it acts like a stim but also increases your damage because you suspect that some Super Earth citizen spit in it and this enrages you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Use guns that are fun, not guns that are good

---
this post is from Punisher gang

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rusty posted:

I thought the grande launcher was good for the level you get it, but the auto-cannon is just way better, sucks about the backpack, but you only need to use it until you get the railgun anyway.

Against bugs, I'd say Railgun > Autocannon but against bots I say Autocannon all the way. It might not be able to kill Hulks/Devastators in one shot like the Railgun, but the Autocannon brings a ton of utility against bots. I can't tell you how many times being able to pump three Autocannon shots into a Tank/Cannon Radiator to kill it in the amount of time it takes the Railgun to fire once has saved both my bacon and that of my fellow Helldivers. Not to mention being able to use it to cheese certain objectives or learning how to bounce an Autocannon shot into a bot fabricators from a distance to quickly take out an outpost without even getting close enough to get shot at by the bots.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Turin Turambar posted:

If that was right, and given that the game has been a much bigger success they had planned for, it would mean planet progression would be trivial, favoring the players as they are the group that is unexpectedly huge .

But we just lost the defend campaign against the boys!

i think they're using the daily peak user count instead of the concurrent one so during certain hours of the day there aren't many people online and all of the planet progression regresses.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jokes posted:

This is why I use the Stalwart exclusively.

I need to give the Stalwart a shot, because mowing down hordes of bugs is super fun. Also there's just something about running into a bug hole or bot factory and blowing them up rather than just calling down strategems on them, and I feel like if I run the Stalwart and a supply pack I can do all of the above.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I love it when some guy takes it upon himself to handle all the ammo. Running an ammo pack and calling down all the supplies and storing them for people that need them works great when that person is super on top of it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

jokes posted:

This is why I use the Stalwart exclusively. It's good against everything you would use normal guns against, and then for the more specifically armored guys that's why God invented stratagems.

With the fortified armor, crouched/prone Stalwart is laser-accurate. People sleep on it because of the lack of armor-piercing or whatever but I mostly play Rambo so if there's an enemy I'm not able to take down I just book it anyways

The Stalwart is my go-to if I'm not wanting to play the visually impressive but kinda weak flamethrower psychopath.

Rusty posted:

I love it when some guy takes it upon himself to handle all the ammo. Running an ammo pack and calling down all the supplies and storing them for people that need them works great when that person is super on top of it.

As someone who was a consummate Battlefield supply player, how am I supposed to tell who needs bullets? I see the red/flashing red icons next to squaddie health bars, but even handing them a pack doesn't always result in the UI indicating they now have ammo. It's easier with backpack reloads since I can see the model update to show they have a full rack of RR shots or whatever.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Warmachine posted:

The Stalwart is my go-to if I'm not wanting to play the visually impressive but kinda weak flamethrower psychopath.

As someone who was a consummate Battlefield supply player, how am I supposed to tell who needs bullets? I see the red/flashing red icons next to squaddie health bars, but even handing them a pack doesn't always result in the UI indicating they now have ammo. It's easier with backpack reloads since I can see the model update to show they have a full rack of RR shots or whatever.

It's not perfect but the little icons on the bottom left indicate who is low on stims/ammo when they turn red.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Warmachine posted:

Flashing means their current magazine isn't full, when the icon itself turns red that means they're missing reserve ammo. I usually just look at the ammo packs in the backpack to know when I've given someone ammo since I'm usually keeping an eye on how much I have.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

It's not perfect but the little icons on the bottom left indicate who is low on stims/ammo when they turn red.

I had someone ask if I needed ammo because the thing was red but I'd only used one breaker mag.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Rusty posted:

This is nice but one time I played with someone who got mad when I jumped in after it started and called my own support drop during the chaos. “DO NOT CALL DROPS!!! CALL ME FOR AMMO!” I called another one after the cooldown and he typed “I HAVE THE PACK!!!”. Yeah no thanks buddy. I’m not waiting around for you to fight through the poo poo to get to me while my ammo drops to nothing.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Bummed that I missed the light armor with the medic trait in the super store. Now there’s a medium armor with Fortified, which I don’t think I’ve seen on a Warbond… when armor gets fixed, would this be a good piece to have?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mentalcontempt posted:

Bummed that I missed the light armor with the medic trait in the super store. Now there’s a medium armor with Fortified, which I don’t think I’ve seen on a Warbond… when armor gets fixed, would this be a good piece to have?

It looks pretty sweet, so yes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

mentalcontempt posted:

That medic armor will probably cycle around again at least one time.

This is the second time these armors have cycled through the Super Store, and supposedly new content will hit every second Thursday of a month, meaning there is enough time for the store to make a full cycle again before new stuff potentially either replaces or adds to the Super Store stuff.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Warmachine posted:

The ammo icons in the bottom left are supposed to turn red when they're low and go back to white when they have ammo again, however it's bugged on certain weapons like the arc thrower and will always show red.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

explosivo posted:

When there's tall mountains around it autopilots you to flat ground. Still annoying but that's why that's happening.

That's too bad because it would be hilarious to get stuck on the very tip of a mountain tbh.

Just like when your pod goes in one of those holes and you die instantly

apostateCourier posted:

People cheating in a community focused PvE game with global goals is going to negatively impact the whole playerbase, so I can't agree that having anticheat in this PvE game is stupid.

I think the main issue people had with that is they were blaming it for the poor server performance at launch, and also saying they should've used a more popular version that isn't used by janky Korean mmos or whatever, but that kinda sounds like racism absent any other real objection. Like people said most anti cheat has kernel access, and I'm sure it's much more difficult and expensive to do it without it.

If it was spying it damaging systems I'm sure we'd know.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is smoke useful for anything?

I wish it was more useful, or at least covered a wider area. It seems to disperse very quickly too, I tried to use it as a way to get bots to completely lose you and that can happen, but more likely they'll just keep moving forward, come out of the smoke and kill you.

I've abandoned it as the coward's way. All my stratagems revolve around killing enemies, and my democracy officer strongly approves

Ihmemies posted:

Whatever setup these guys use for scaling looks hideous with movement. Am I just imagining things? Never had a game look like.. this... still images look fine, but movement.. ehhh.... :shepicide:

I think the game looks really nice. Maybe not as great as a triple a single player game, but you wouldn't expect it to. Looks better than pretty much every single ubisoft game

Pharmaskittle posted:

Man I had high hopes for the countersniper DMR but it just tracks way too slowly. Back to armor piercing assault rifle on single shot I guess

Yeah I always play in first person aim as well and that gun has a bad one, too zoomed in and the scope takes up too much space.

The original marksman is one of my favorites though, along with the defender and breaker.

Fishstick posted:

Did Bile titans get a health boost at some point? I remember orbital railcannons oneshotting them but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, or am I misremembering?

I think you're misremembering. The orbital laser, which has more limited uses and longer cooldowns, kills them with one shot, not the rail cannons.

But a rail cannon and a couplefew railgun shots directly to the face should do it.

That being said I have seen some apparent variation in this on multiple different enemy types

Risky Bisquick posted:

AC is really good but the shield is nearly an auto pick on high difficulty bugs. On bots I could take an AC on 8s for sure given that rockets can still kill through shields with light armour unless you have the explosive resist trait.

I still prefer the laser guard dog on high difficulty bugs. Taking the shield instead means you have to personally handle every single enemy no matter how small, which drains ammo and makes you even more likely to be hit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Taking the dog means you have to deal with the patrols you can no longer sneak by. If you can manage it, which I'm sure you can by the sounds of it, by all means use the dog.

It's a trade off but I prefer not to go alarm to alarm. I basically just run from the trash bugs and break vision, and move on to some other objective

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Veld is nearly liberated, but the bugs have already spread to Angel's Venture.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the second time these armors have cycled through the Super Store, and supposedly new content will hit every second Thursday of a month, meaning there is enough time for the store to make a full cycle again before new stuff potentially either replaces or adds to the Super Store stuff.

They've also said nothing will be long term time gated so it won't really be possible to "miss out" on stuff. So I assume it will be in the rotation forever.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Taking the dog means you have to deal with the patrols you can no longer sneak by. If you can manage it, which I'm sure you can by the sounds of it, by all means use the dog.

It's a trade off but I prefer not to go alarm to alarm. I basically just run from the trash bugs and break vision, and move on to some other objective

How do you figure? Laser dog doesn't fire at patrols until and unless you trigger them in my experience, sneaking works fine. And it lets you mop up the patrol that much quicker if they do trigger, which is nice.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

turn off the TV posted:

Unless you count any other commercial anticheat then yeah nprotect is unprecedented in having kernel level access.
Yeah I mean I don't know. I just know that when the game launched, there was a lot of poo poo about nprotect gameguard specifically and how it was worse than, say, EAC. It was overly aggressive or some bullshit.

My point is: For all the handwringing that was caused because of Arrowhead's choice of anti-cheat... it didn't matter in the end anyway because people circumvented it anyway?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GlyphGryph posted:

How do you figure? Laser dog doesn't fire at patrols until and unless you trigger them in my experience, sneaking works fine. And it lets you mop up the patrol that much quicker if they do trigger, which is nice.

Interesting. I did not actually know that, I thought it would fire but I guess thinking back you're right, I've been pretty close to untriggered enemies and it doesn't shoot until they trigger.

It also aids in truly ludicrous kill counts, 500 plus in certain missions in higher difficulties.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Stalwart on the highest RPM setting is something special. Honestly they should just reduce the RPM and magsize (or count) and make it a primary weapon instead of support.

Visible "weakspots" like charger abdomens should be actually-weak to everything instead of being a big fat phoney bullet trap of bullshit. Then they can give explosives innate armor destruction so they still have a niche and every metaslave doesn't feel the need to always railgun for optimal gameplay.

Waiting for armor with "extra mags" trait to come out, until then I'm glued to "scout". Being able to freely disengage from almost anything is just too good, and the radar on pings is legitimately great help for teammates while I'm on the other side of the map getting samples and clearing secondary objectives.

Play posted:

(regarding smoke)

I wish it was more useful, or at least covered a wider area. It seems to disperse very quickly too, I tried to use it as a way to get bots to completely lose you and that can happen, but more likely they'll just keep moving forward, come out of the smoke and kill you.

I've abandoned it as the coward's way. All my stratagems revolve around killing enemies, and my democracy officer strongly approves
You haven't lived if you've never dumped smoke on a large outpost/nest and crawled your way to an objective inside it then either hellbombed it and ran like crazy, or escaped without getting spotted or alarming anything even once. Granted that doesn't always work but it's an adrenaline rush when it does. Stealth is viable and smoke helps with stealth (more so against bots).

BeAuMaN posted:

My point is: For all the handwringing that was caused because of Arrowhead's choice of anti-cheat... it didn't matter in the end anyway because people circumvented it anyway?
Every anticheat always gets circumvented eventually. The main goal is just making it "more difficult" for joe casual to fire up a generic cheat program and break the game for whoever he randomly joins, at least during the initial popularity surge of a new game release.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I need explanation on mission selection stuff. What does quick play do?

I've been choosing a front, going to a hostile planet, and then I see operations with multiple missions or other missions that people are already in. I get an error every time I try to join one of those that already have people in them. That has left us with choosing an operation.

Is there a way to always fill them? Only seems like a quarter of a time that anyone else joins us.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is the hit marker not showing up for some of the call in guns a bug or intentional? It’s kind of annoying when I picked up a flamethrower and didn’t get any feedback on if I was hitting or not

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I definitely don't get hit markers for the Stalwart.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Play posted:

Interesting. I did not actually know that, I thought it would fire but I guess thinking back you're right, I've been pretty close to untriggered enemies and it doesn't shoot until they trigger.

It also aids in truly ludicrous kill counts, 500 plus in certain missions in higher difficulties.

Definitely seconding that at least the laser drone does not fire at stuff unless it's aggroed. You can sneak by patrols no problem and the drone won't open up until the aggro music starts. Dunno if the liberator drone is the same, I would assume so

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sushibandit posted:

Every anticheat always gets circumvented eventually. The main goal is just making it "more difficult" for joe casual to fire up a generic cheat program and break the game for whoever he randomly joins, at least during the initial popularity surge of a new game release.

Waiting for the devs to implement a secret queue for cheaters that sets the difficulty of every mission to, I don't know, 15 where it's pretty much impossible to stop multiple dropships/breaches, they all spawn multiple Titans/Tanks, patrol spawn frequency and # of units per patrol is high, the entire map knows exactly where you are the moment you fire a gun, Stalkers spawn from every bug hive, and bot rockets actually track you mid-flight.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's yall's anti-stalker strategy, by the way? I wonder if they regenerate because these stupid assholes love to knock me around with a high-velocity tongue and it is extremely annoying so I mostly just empty clips on them as they fly away and as they turn invisible and don't stop ever

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LuiCypher posted:

Waiting for the devs to implement a secret queue for cheaters that sets the difficulty of every mission to, I don't know, 15 where it's pretty much impossible to stop multiple dropships/breaches, they all spawn multiple Titans/Tanks, patrol spawn frequency and # of units per patrol is high, the entire map knows exactly where you are the moment you fire a gun, Stalkers spawn from every bug hive, and bot rockets actually track you mid-flight.
Meanwhile, Having to alt+f4 to close the game when it freezes after the dropship escapes (as host, hoping everyone else got paid) just reminds me of why the more years go by, the more I resent the idea of "Better punish the impure gamers" shadowban systems. Even if as far as I know I have yet to be banished to the phantom zone anywhere.

"Man, blackouts in a storm sure suck... Yes Darksouls, I know I did a naughty disconnect. Thank you for reminding me I have sinned."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 1, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So I didn't get the 45 medals we were supposed to get for liberating Veld. Did that happen to anyone else? I've only been playing 2 days but every mission I played was on Veld, so I assume I should qualify if there was some kind of "you need to do missions on that planet to qualify" thing they didn't mention. Tried logging off and logging back in and that didn't do anything either.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

jokes posted:

What's yall's anti-stalker strategy, by the way? I wonder if they regenerate because these stupid assholes love to knock me around with a high-velocity tongue and it is extremely annoying so I mostly just empty clips on them as they fly away and as they turn invisible and don't stop ever

You have to seek out the hole they're coming from. If you see stalkers that means there's a special spawn point on the map for them that can be destroyed as a sub-objective. Follow the direction they're coming from and you should eventually run into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

jokes posted:

Kill them as quickly as you can when you see them. Find their nest(s) and destroy them to prevent further spawns.