Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Cake is a confection.

Whatever happened to Fatboy Slim and Beck? Felt like they were everywhere in the early to late 90's and then disappeared from the face of the earth.

Doesn’t Beck still release music? People thought Colors was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pirate Radar posted:

I forgot about Colors.

According to his Wiki, he released an album or EP every year or two from 1993 through 2004 and then slowed down a lot after that.

Apparently, he had a big divorce and switched record labels twice.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i feel like the alt rock stations were playing a beck single recently, though now that i'm getting older, the term "recently" covers a period in time long enough that it probably includes pre-pandemic stuff

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I can't listen to the radio anymore after I heard the classic rock station playing The Foo Fighters to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the band and I could feel the cold hand of death on my shoulder.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i accepted that our classic rock station would eventually bring my music into the mix, but they keep playing singles that are less than 15 years old. i'll concede to 90's stuff and maybe even early aughts being firmly classic rock at this point, but the early teens?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i accepted that our classic rock station would eventually bring my music into the mix, but they keep playing singles that are less than 15 years old. i'll concede to 90's stuff and maybe even early aughts being firmly classic rock at this point, but the early teens?

What songs are classic rock stations playing from the 2010s?

The latest song I have ever heard on an actual classic rock station was 2004 Green day - which also destroyed me.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What songs are classic rock stations playing from the 2010s?

The latest song I have ever heard on an actual classic rock station was 2004 Green day - which also destroyed me.

i've heard our local classic rock station play a single off of the black keys el camino album at least once

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it was supremely hosed up

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I made fun of ska for years before seeing my first live ska show at a small bar.

There were guys with shaved heads, but the dude in our friend group who suggested the show assured me they hated nazis.

I went for a cigarette/walk before the show with a woman who my friends later assured me was a prostitute. The whole time she kept trying to get me to go to a different bar, despite my insistence on the show starting any minute and my friends waiting for me.

Anyway Ska was fun and energetic and everybody danced. I also now attribute it with either prostitutes, maybe getting robbed/jumped, or never quite understanding skinheads and their relation with nazis and jamaicans.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BRJurgis posted:

I made fun of ska for years before seeing my first live ska show at a small bar.

There were guys with shaved heads, but the dude in our friend group who suggested the show assured me they hated nazis.

I went for a cigarette/walk before the show with a woman who my friends later assured me was a prostitute. The whole time she kept trying to get me to go to a different bar, despite my insistence on the show starting any minute and my friends waiting for me.

Anyway Ska was fun and energetic and everybody danced. I also now attribute it with either prostitutes, maybe getting robbed/jumped, or never quite understanding skinheads and their relation with nazis and jamaicans.

After Billy Joel stopped making new music and Ska died, all the rock and roll trumpet players have had nowhere to go.

They need our help. We need to make 5th Wave Ska or Oingo Boingo cover bands the next cultural Zeitgeist before we lose them all.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my friend just went to see chicago perform in vegas, so there is at least one home for rock and roll trumpet players. albeit more of a retirement home

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Still in utter disbelief there's not some indie biopic about beck starring Michael Cera

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

last year I got the first albums of Madness and The Beat, they are both pretty good

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

music band

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How do you do, fellow middle aged posters

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My wife and I watched The Greatest Showman last night.

Feels like P.T. Barnum really started running out of quality candidates for his freak show pretty quickly.

His freak show is made up of:

- Bearded Lady (Sure, classic freak show participant)
- World's tallest man.
- World's shortest man.
- World's fattest man.
- A man who has a disorder that makes him grow hair everywhere and they call him "The Wolfman"
- A man who puts his head in a lion's mouth (stretching the definition of "freak," but fine)
- Siamese Twins
- A strongman

Then, the rest of the freak show is made up of...

- Beautiful and talented movie star Zendaya who does hula hoop tricks on a wire.
- A black man with white hair.
- A bald woman.
- Two identical twins.
- A woman with red hair.
- A man who can break dance.
- A man with a tattoo on his cheek.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Pirate Radar posted:

I saw beck live within the last year, he was touring with Phoenix.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:prepop:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2204130/Sid_Meiers_Alpha_Centauri_Planetary_Pack/

:ibadpop:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
drat, it's been a long time. I have the disks at the bottom of a box somewhere

still some of the best writing in any game ever and it was all just flavor text for research

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It looks like EA has given up chasing the spectre of their own online platform and are dumping their catalogue on Steam, all the old C&C games are up too as a collection pack

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
seems like a smart move, at least for their back catalog. people might go on origins for the new hotness (though actually i don't think i ever did except for kotor online), but no ones going to be on there enough to stumble across a 90's game and feel nostalgia

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I played the absolute hell of that game, even did like a round 2 years later and a round 3 like years and years later, which isn't something I generally do (railroad tycoon 3 and probably a couple others I'm forgetting... dwarf fortress I suppose but that game kept/keeps developing slowly)

edit: aside but if you like civilization 4x type games you might check out "Old World". It has a very game-designer feel to it, very elegant, like you won't get it immediately but once you get it it hangs with you, and it's not quite as bloated/overwhelming/tiresome in the late game. And it has a dynastic crusader kings/lineage element that's fun.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 7, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't intend this as an insult, but I figured D&D would have other folks like me who can remember a lot of the SMAC voice-overs by heart

The EA backlog sale also has SimCity 3000, Populouses and Dungeon Keepers

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I don't intend this as an insult, but I figured D&D would have other folks like me who can remember a lot of the SMAC voice-overs by heart

SMAC nostalgia is fishing goons with dynamite

i guess in a good way

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
SMAC is great yeah. I think I already own it in some form though. I’ll have to look through the list of stuff they put up and see if I want anything.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

SMAC is great yeah. I think I already own it in some form though. I’ll have to look through the list of stuff they put up and see if I want anything.

it's been on gog for ages

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, I think that's how I have it. Also it looks to me like the EA stuff is mostly the older C&Cs available through a subscription ($5/mo) or $10 to buy the whole collection. There's also Populous, the Dungeon Keepers, and Simcity 3000, which was one of the good ones.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I wouldn't have expected akira toriyamas death to hit me so hard. guess I figured he had decades ahead of him

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Rappaport posted:

You think the rest of us haven't tasted the fruit?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Artificial Kid posted:

You think the rest of us haven't tasted the fruit?

I thought I said the opposite.

The current thread title mis-quote reminds me of Megan Is Missing, though :ohdear:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just to be clear, the titular barrel is the gently caress barrel of old. Not any sort of pickling barrel or what have you

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
pickled poster's feet

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hmmm, just wrote up a big email for a relative visiting LA and looking back on it, it's about 85% food and 10% museums. I guess I know where my interests lie.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Only 73%

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in the movie it'll be voiced by jean reno

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Why is everyone freaking out about Kate Middleton?

Do they think the royal family killed her and is going to just pretend she is alive for the next decade?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I thought she was the one they liked and Megan was the one they wanted to secretly murder.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes but there's also rumours Will has been getting other women to peg him and is otherwise cheating on his wife, something Harry has written about him hating because that's what their dad (Charles) did to Diana, before killing her in Paris.

The through line being that Will, like his dad, is trying to kill his wife, or has succeeded.

The mundane truth is she likely just had emergency surgery and they don't want to advertise to everyone she had, like, anal cysts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

BRJurgis posted:

never quite understanding skinheads and their relation with nazis and jamaicans.

It's quite simple: skinheads are either Nazis or people who hate the gently caress out of Nazis and will attack them on sight