Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
You want it to be "real" in the sense that the moves don't look actively lovely and there is some internal consistency, but the whole point of pro wrestling is to be more entertaining than the typical real fight.

Stylistically, I'd prefer that submission holds be applied in a way that it makes it clear the wrestler actually knows how the hold is supposed to work. Nice if there is some struggle to apply/fight off the hold too. If someone can't believably work a cross armbreaker or whatever and make it look like it might actually hurt, it's going to look bad in my eyes. Power moves that look like a genuine lift, without the opponent visibly assisting, look pretty cool. No one likes seeing someone sell a strike that visibly missed by a mile.

With that said, the stuff I prefer is still far from resembling a genuine fight and I'm well aware of that. MMA and wrestling work for different reasons.

I'd genuinely like to see wrestlers try to replicate as close a possible any MMA fight of the year candidate. They are usually high paced back and forth fights, but there isn't much "wrestling psychology" beyond striker wants to strike and grappler wants to grapple. If anything, the real fights that people like to watch are mostly psychology free spot fests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want to show these dudes who are so into realistic matches a match with a long randy orton headlock rest spot

Let them explain to me why I should be excited about a side headlock because the two are struggling for the upper hand

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

The Undertaker got MMA-pilled and started keeping his hands up during matches and it was the hokiest poo poo ever

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
remembering the time hulk hogan got pulled over and the cops found an unregistered gun in the car the hulkster tried to explain it was a misunderstanding and urged the two men riding with him to explain the situation... the passengers were the wild samoans who refused to break kayfabe so kept looking at each other and grunting in gibberish until all of them went to jail lol

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Power Windows posted:

The Undertaker got MMA-pilled and started keeping his hands up during matches and it was the hokiest poo poo ever

the best pure striker in the wwe. he was a zombie biker man who crucified Steve Austin. Real poo poo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Power Windows posted:

Undead zombie wizards have always been famous for doing submission holds

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

beepo posted:

You want it to be "real" in the sense that the moves don't look actively lovely and there is some internal consistency, but the whole point of pro wrestling is to be more entertaining than the typical real fight.

Stylistically, I'd prefer that submission holds be applied in a way that it makes it clear the wrestler actually knows how the hold is supposed to work. Nice if there is some struggle to apply/fight off the hold too. If someone can't believably work a cross armbreaker or whatever and make it look like it might actually hurt, it's going to look bad in my eyes. Power moves that look like a genuine lift, without the opponent visibly assisting, look pretty cool. No one likes seeing someone sell a strike that visibly missed by a mile.

With that said, the stuff I prefer is still far from resembling a genuine fight and I'm well aware of that. MMA and wrestling work for different reasons.

I'd genuinely like to see wrestlers try to replicate as close a possible any MMA fight of the year candidate. They are usually high paced back and forth fights, but there isn't much "wrestling psychology" beyond striker wants to strike and grappler wants to grapple. If anything, the real fights that people like to watch are mostly psychology free spot fests.

Bad cross armbreakers or defense are the only thing that really triggers my "FAKE!" instinct. I'm sure everyone has different things that set them off. Guys can fumble around doing a triangle or other MMA stuff and I'm like whatever, but a really lousy cross armbreaker has bothered me for decades.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's Leslie, he just means he hates it when the Bucks and their opponents do synchronized kipups

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The only realism I want in wrestling is GLEAT putting their young guys in actual MMA matches against over the hill (and therefore very experienced) fighters and horribly exposing them, or Shinya Aoki instasubmitting anyone who tries to lock up at the start of the match

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's Leslie, he just means he hates it when the Bucks and their opponents do synchronized kipups

poo poo. Now I want the original Escalara de la Muerte match with the Lucha Bros but with synchronized pyro.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I watch pro wrestling because I like pro wrestling. Holds are cool and all but I’d much rather see 30 super kicks and a friggin brainbuster

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

beepo posted:

I can't remember which exact matches but I feel like Bryan Danielson does this every once in a while. I think I recall he and Punk replicating someone missing a spinning backfist, falling, and eating a knee at some point. Does this ring a bell to anyone else?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I can't remember which exact matches but I feel like Bryan Danielson does this every once in a while. I think I recall he and Punk replicating someone missing a spinning backfist, falling, and eating a knee at some point. Does this ring a bell to anyone else?

Yeah it was copying the finish to Silva vs Sonnen 2.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://x.com/Drswigz/status/1763589212886999344?s=20

https://x.com/Drswigz/status/1763627298157203511?s=20

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I mean yeah I don't think the Spanish wrestling scene is that well known

now the Mexican scene on the other hand...

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

is there any other fandom that is completely dominated by people who have no idea what the gently caress they’re talking about

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
These lunks will never beat the accusations
https://twitter.com/candidshots4u/status/1763654613675229414

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its really funny because the people that seemed the msot convinced that wrestling had to be real... was wrestlers who knew it was fake

Isn't there a bit in Jericho's first book where he explains that he taught himself how to do worked moves "by accident" as a kid, thinking "Well, they do this in the ring and it hurts (because it's real), but I think if you tuck your chin and roll through at the end, you'll be fine"?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/TheDaveMeltzer/status/1763398124712735184

"If I didn't get paid I'd be in debt".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

Isn't there a bit in Jericho's first book where he explains that he taught himself how to do worked moves "by accident" as a kid, thinking "Well, they do this in the ring and it hurts (because it's real), but I think if you tuck your chin and roll through at the end, you'll be fine"?

Yeah. And this leads to which Hart brother put in a cameo appearance their first day at the "Hart Brothers" Wrestling Academy getting super ticked at him because Jericho lands on his feet after a backdrop, so the Hart starts stretching him.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

will ospreay should be like... a soccer guy and he goes everywhere with a soccer ball and says "oi mate thats one-nil" when he wins a match, thats when he will make sense to me, a wrestling connoisseur

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

is there any other fandom that is completely dominated by people who have no idea what the gently caress they’re talking about

baseball

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

they made an entire movie about this

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoWitch posted:

I mean yeah I don't think the Spanish wrestling scene is that well known

now the Mexican scene on the other hand...

I made a mistake and looked at the profile. A bigot, a chud, Trump and all that...

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think it’s telling that this guy is viewing wrestling as something he needs to do a middle school book report on.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

JUNGLE BOY posted:

every other sports playoffs if you're in a city where your team made it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm glad they don't watch the shows. Check the cards, watch a couple of clips, and come up with burn that gets a few likes from their friends. Imagine if they spent five hours a week watching something they genuinely hated.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I will never do any research to answer this question but I wonder how many of these engagement farmers actually fall for the bait of other engagement farmers and get steaming mad when someone says something disingenuous about one of their other non-wrestling hobbies

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/MovieMarvin/status/1763605275607482507

Turns out…

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1763686874386780595

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
real fights are so boring that ufc offers bounties worth tens of thousands of dollars to any fighter that manages to make a fight not boring as poo poo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No! The puppet can't be wrong!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
don't know if it's true or not but this .psd file i found on my computer had some disturbing allegations...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The problem wasn't even the stunt it was that they used lovely cheap equipment that wasn't meant to hold a human's weight. Sting did it safely for many years.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Honestly it makes me probably irrationally happy and touched that they took the step to talk with her first. They absolutely didn’t “need” to from like a logistical business position but did so anyway from a human position. And that’s nice.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

'no one has done it since' is completely wrong, too, since sting himself did it in tna at slammiversary 2007

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Didn’t TNA do it a few times

Didn’t WCW keep doing it after Owen’s death

Ed: lol nice view counts, really burning up the charts

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 1, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You know who else did it?

ALL ELITE WRESTLING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Cmi0R91PI&t=136s

This was six months before Martha Hart partnered with them. You think if she had a problem with it, she mighta mentioned it then!?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are you tellin me the epic negative attention guys on twitter are lyin?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
it's almost like the self-contained singular post told a story and doesn't need every person who reads the thread to refute it and instead they can just laugh at the funny self-contained two act story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

buddy if i cant bitch about dumb posts what am i even doing here