Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Mustang posted:

Didn't get the job but "they saw Amazonian attributes" in me and I can interview at Amazon immediately again instead of being blacklisted for 2 years. Said they're going to contact me again next week about other roles.

This has been the worst job search of my life. Current feeling: keep a shitlist of everyone I interact with in this job search and if I ever have the opportunity to gently caress over one of them over in the future, I will relish it.

My favorite thing about interviewing with Amazon was that they sent me a survey after they were "not inclined" to hire me. No, I'm not filling out your survey, gently caress off.

edit: in my case i withdrew after the initial phone screen because it was a heavy travel gig. the recruiter convinced me to go through the 8 hour remote interview anyway and it sucked. my particular line of work doesn't necessarily line up with the amazon "leadership principles" but i did my best to shoehorn them in. i bombed the star interview method too, every job interview i've had has been way less formal and it was one of the worst interviews i've had...and I didn't even want it!

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm looking at job postings today and I don't even feel like the effort will be worth it.

A cover letter? Why the gently caress would I spend time writing one of those just to not get the job anyway? Is anyone even reading them?

I don't even know how to interview better because I'm told I interview great, but they always go with someone else or hire internally.

Like I just have no loving idea how I can possibly improve my job searching. Most of my interviews are from recruiters contacting me, cold applying only rarely gets me an interview.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

an iksar marauder posted:

Amazonian attributes, lol.

he cut off his right tiddy for archery purposes i guess

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mustang posted:

Didn't get the job but "they saw Amazonian attributes" in me

Ah. Him like snu-snu.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So my military experience is 5 years as an Army officer, so entirely project/program management, with my final two roles being in logistics/finance. I have a top 20 MBA.

Tech, finance, and logistics have been hammered hard with layoffs and I'm getting nowhere with those jobs in Seattle. Tons of laid off people in these industries here are also looking for work and every job posting is getting hundreds of applicants. I get interviews, and told I interview well, but never any offers.

I wouldn't mind working for a smaller company, but I rarely ever come across their job postings.

I keep seeing healthcare and government as two sectors that are actually hiring. How can I leverage my experience into a role in the healthcare industry? When I look at job postings they want people with previous healthcare experience.

From my perspective, finding a job is an impossible task. Someone could hold a gun to my head and tell me find a job or die, and I guess I would just die. Just doesn't seem possible.

edit: I was consistently a top ranked officer for all of my evaluations, I won case competitions against my peers at business school. But this job search has completely wrecked my confidence.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 1, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

Didn't get the job but "they saw Amazonian attributes" in me and I can interview at Amazon immediately again instead of being blacklisted for 2 years. Said they're going to contact me again next week about other roles.

This has been the worst job search of my life. Current feeling: keep a shitlist of everyone I interact with in this job search and if I ever have the opportunity to gently caress over one of them over in the future, I will relish it.

the thread title thanks you for your service

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

From my perspective, finding a job is an impossible task. Someone could hold a gun to my head and tell me find a job or die, and I guess I would just die. Just doesn't seem possible.

edit: I was consistently a top ranked officer for all of my evaluations, I won case competitions against my peers at business school. But this job search has completely wrecked my confidence.

given your background, would there be some DoD contractor who'd pick you up because they need someone who can handle nonpublic info?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magnetic North posted:

It's kind of both. They have seriously huge process issues to the extreme and little leadership gumption to do more than just talk about doing better. There's zero courage in leadership and the team has been ground to dust by perpetual readiness footing.
"The company is in a transitional phase and I am looking for something more established where I can contribute to long-term growth towards clear goals". Or whatever the gently caress it is I said a few months back.

Of course I ended up in an even worse shitshow, so maybe don't take my advice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

So some encouragement and some tough love. And maybe a little advice.

Job hunting isn't a referendum against you. There are factors at play that are beyond your control. People aren't looking at you and deciding "Is this person worth a job or not", it's entirely a game where you don't get to see the competition, you don't get to see the expectations, and you usually don't even get to know all the rules. So your only option is play the numbers game, keep trucking, and honestly there's no reason not to believe someone if they say "Yeah you were great and passed our requirements but you just weren't the top choice". No shame in that and it's a good sign, its way easier just to say nothing.

Mustang posted:

A cover letter? Why the gently caress would I spend time writing one of those just to not get the job anyway? Is anyone even reading them?

If you're looking for program management or business/process management jobs this reaction is a big problem. Those jobs are VERY focused on being able to jump through the right hoops and being able to BS your way through whatever you need to do. They're asking you to suck up and impress a bunch of old white guys, thats what they want to see. That's the game.

I used to work as a civilian contractor on a base and had a lot of connections from people on the more business-y side of the military. This may apply to you or not, but one VERY common misconception I've seen from people coming out is the idea that the business world works like the military does. If you check enough boxes and do the things and have patience your turn will come. This is not true. The people hiring are going to pick whoever helps them the most. Sometimes that means the person who checks the boxes, sometimes it means taking a risk on a wunderkind sometimes it means picking the VPs idiot nephew. No one cares if they don't select the best match on paper. Particularly in the Army/Air Force they love to drill into people's heads how in demand ex-military officers are and how great you're going to be setup when you leave, and while there's some truth to that it's more true that you'll need to hustle, work your network, and find an edge like everyone else.

Mustang posted:

I keep seeing healthcare and government as two sectors that are actually hiring. How can I leverage my experience into a role in the healthcare industry? When I look at job postings they want people with previous healthcare experience.

Make a different resume for healthcare, but you should apply. Its not easy to break in without experience, but what they're really looking for is someone who is able to follow healthcare protocol and you can try to sell your military experience that way. Basically you need a resume that absolutely maginifies every compliance skill you have. It's an uphill battle but I think you'll have a less crowded field so it may balance out. I'd say have lower expectations there but it doesn't hurt to apply.

Also, apply a lot. My wife is currently job hunting full time and my advice ot her was pick 4-6 jobs a week that look like dream jobs or very achievable jobs that you spend a full hour doing some research, tweaking resume, writing a cover letter (even if it's not required) for, but apply for as many of the other jobs as you can using your 2 or 3 stock resumes that fit particular roles/industries. That saves you from burning out but still covers a wide area and you're still keeping as much edge for those golden jobs as you can. Don't feel like you need to hit every job requirement, "I meet 7 of these 10 listed things!" is good enough!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

Was it the platform support engineer gig? The schedule looked batshit insane, going from days to swings to mids with the last week ending seven straight days of work on two overnight 12 hour shifts, but then it was five days off, work two 12s, and seven days off. Sounded chaotic but fun. Hope whoever they picked worked out for them

I don't recall, and didn't even make it as far as the shift before noping out. Not a huge fan of working in the military-adjacent sector. That sounds bat poo poo though. Why even have a shift like that?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mustang posted:

So my military experience is 5 years as an Army officer, so entirely project/program management, with my final two roles being in logistics/finance. I have a top 20 MBA.

Tech, finance, and logistics have been hammered hard with layoffs and I'm getting nowhere with those jobs in Seattle. Tons of laid off people in these industries here are also looking for work and every job posting is getting hundreds of applicants. I get interviews, and told I interview well, but never any offers.

I wouldn't mind working for a smaller company, but I rarely ever come across their job postings.

Someone you worked with in the military knows a contractor who's hiring. And what about your MBA progam's career office?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

pmchem posted:

given your background, would there be some DoD contractor who'd pick you up because they need someone who can handle nonpublic info?

I'd honestly prefer to stay as far away as possible from working with anything DoD adjacent. Looking forward to the point where my Army jobs are far enough in the past that they aren't even on a one page resume. My secret clearance also ends sometime next year I believe.

ultrafilter posted:

Someone you worked with in the military knows a contractor who's hiring. And what about your MBA progam's career office?

I don't trust my program's career office to be perfectly honest. They stress networking and I've done tons of it over the last 7 months and it's pretty much always some variation of "job market is tough out there, chin up, something will break eventually!". And I think their resume format is bad, I didn't get any interviews using their resume format.

My fellow classmates are also complaining about their experience with the career office. We're in Seattle and our program is heavily geared towards tech jobs just due to the local economy.

Lockback posted:

So some encouragement and some tough love. And maybe a little advice.

Job hunting isn't a referendum against you. There are factors at play that are beyond your control. People aren't looking at you and deciding "Is this person worth a job or not", it's entirely a game where you don't get to see the competition, you don't get to see the expectations, and you usually don't even get to know all the rules. So your only option is play the numbers game, keep trucking, and honestly there's no reason not to believe someone if they say "Yeah you were great and passed our requirements but you just weren't the top choice". No shame in that and it's a good sign, its way easier just to say nothing.

If you're looking for program management or business/process management jobs this reaction is a big problem. Those jobs are VERY focused on being able to jump through the right hoops and being able to BS your way through whatever you need to do. They're asking you to suck up and impress a bunch of old white guys, thats what they want to see. That's the game.

I used to work as a civilian contractor on a base and had a lot of connections from people on the more business-y side of the military. This may apply to you or not, but one VERY common misconception I've seen from people coming out is the idea that the business world works like the military does. If you check enough boxes and do the things and have patience your turn will come. This is not true. The people hiring are going to pick whoever helps them the most. Sometimes that means the person who checks the boxes, sometimes it means taking a risk on a wunderkind sometimes it means picking the VPs idiot nephew. No one cares if they don't select the best match on paper. Particularly in the Army/Air Force they love to drill into people's heads how in demand ex-military officers are and how great you're going to be setup when you leave, and while there's some truth to that it's more true that you'll need to hustle, work your network, and find an edge like everyone else.

My main gripe with the cover letters is that I've custom written 12 of them and spent quite a bit of time on each one to make sure it hits everything in the job posting and why I want the job. Not a single one of those jobs wanting cover letters ever resulted in an interview. Months and months later those application are still sitting at "submitted" or "processing" on their websites.

I've gone to many networking events, regularly meet with friends and classmates about the job search. Never goes anywhere. Just mutual bitching about not being able to find anything.

I have friend with ivy league educations and FAANG experience that can't find a job. If they're struggling too, how the gently caress am I supposed to get a job?

I see a lot of jobs that I think my personality/experience would be a good fit for but still searching after 7 months has left me feeling like I'm not a good fit for anything.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mustang posted:

and I can interview at Amazon immediately again instead of being blacklisted for 2 years.

Sorry, what the gently caress?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

According to the senior recruiter I've been working with typically if someone doesn't getting a job after the final round of "loop" interviews they're blacklisted for two years from getting another interview at Amazon.

Said they're considering me for other roles and they'd get back to me Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mustang posted:

I have friend with ivy league educations and FAANG experience that can't find a job. If they're struggling too, how the gently caress am I supposed to get a job?

There's a lot of dumbfucks with great jobs too, that doesn't mean anything.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mustang posted:

According to the senior recruiter I've been working with typically if someone doesn't getting a job after the final round of "loop" interviews they're blacklisted for two years from getting another interview at Amazon.

I'd say "that's messed up" but that is one of the less messed up things about Amazon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mustang posted:

Current feeling: keep a shitlist of everyone I interact with in this job search and if I ever have the opportunity to gently caress over one of them over in the future, I will relish it.

Yup, those are definitely Amazonian attributes.

Mustang posted:

Said they're considering me for other roles and they'd get back to me Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

This is very promising and I would follow up on it as well as possible.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

lmao I generally keep my negativity and bitching to the internet/SA.

But I'd be lying if I said the last 7 months of job searching hasn't really rubbed my rear end raw.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Organic Lube User posted:

That sounds bat poo poo though. Why even have a shift like that?

If I remember right it’s because there’s five shifts of people and everyone is rotating through that schedule at different points

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

If I remember right it’s because there’s five shifts of people and everyone is rotating through that schedule at different points

Just because everyone gets tortured equally doesn't make it better. Oof, employers are comic book villain insane.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mustang posted:

lmao I generally keep my negativity and bitching to the internet/SA.

But I'd be lying if I said the last 7 months of job searching hasn't really rubbed my rear end raw.

You and me both. I'm waiting to hear from a great place where I'm in the final running...for probably the 6th such scenario in the last 5 months. Rain luck!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

what's interview speak for "some morons set the roof on fire and management told everybody (including people at the company next door) to not call the fire department?"

“I’m excited about a position where my team’s goals are supported by management and so we can grow together.”

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mustang posted:

Seconding Lockback's response: having an ivy league education and FAANG experience doesn't mean anything. Some people look brilliant on paper but suck at interviews or have a lovely personality.

It also means that your friend is competing with thousands of other people with similar credentials for similar jobs and hasn't been THE ABSOLUTE BEST fit for the company which has an arbitrary set of things they look for.

Again, Lockback's advice is extremely important for you to make real for yourself: job searches are not a referendum on you, and how companies actually value candidates is different from what it seems you think it is.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Looks like I passed Amazon's 'work simulation' assessment and have a first round interview with a member of the hiring team next week. I'm beyond surprised. Not only was my application a shot in the dark that I expected to go nowhere because all of my experience is small scale (and in HR, it matters), but I had applied for this role back in December, then the req was closed without notice and my application archived in a way that usually means rejection. But a week or so ago, they re-posted a slightly revised version of the same opening and shortly thereafter reached out, so I figure they must have pulled my app from the previous pile. Anyway. I'm keeping my excitement contained and expectations low, but as an HR person, working at Amazon would probably make my career, and allow me to dictate my destination and terms if / when I decided to split.

Now, here's a question for y'all who know better: The resume Amazon has is not the resume I am currently using, as I made some revisions back in January that led to substantive improvements (such that I'm scoring follow-ups on 10% of my applications rather than 3%!). Obviously, I have gotten this far on the back of the one I submitted, but was pondering the idea of asking the recruiter to update the one on file. Bad idea? Don't swap horses in mid-stream type thing? Resume probably not super important at this point as long as I can speak intelligently to what it says (tbf, the new one is easier to speak to, but whatevs)?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can't imagine that sending in an updated resume would hurt you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd not even bother saying "update the files plz", I'd just go "hey so we're on the same page I've updated my resume since I applied and added X,Y, and Z to hilight my widget making skills" and let them worry about it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well, it sounds like the resume you were using was appealing enough to move you forward.

For my final round of Amazon interviews it was almost entirely behavioral questions to see how well your personality aligns to Amazon's leadership principles and culture. Other than giving a brief overview of my career at the beginning of each interview it wasn't used all that much.

I passed the final round but didn't receive an offer, apparently the rest of the team preferred someone with a more traditional finance background for the role. They say they're going to try to find other roles I'm a better fit for.

Look up the Amazon leadership principles. On reddit and elsewhere you can find examples of questions associated with each principle, come up with good STAR answers for each one. They'll almost assuredly also ask one that's about a time you failed at something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Had a fairly high level amazon meeting today. My god I've never seen any other company inculcate corpospeak so hard. I also didn't realize they've actually loving internalized "Amazonian" for both employees and their tendency to use corpospeak. Every other indicator of their internal practices was similarly dire.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Discendo Vox posted:

Every other indicator of their internal practices was similarly dire.

True, but on the other hand: no power point decks. Ever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

All I can tell you is that this is definitely false, per what we suffered through today. What does appear to be true is that the powerpoints will be a source of psychic damage for everyone involved, speaker and audience, other than the presumed attorney review that's responsible for the final product.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

from what i've heard they just scroll through giant word docs that they've functionally made in to Not Powerpoint

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Power Bullet Point list

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PowerPoin’t?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lockback posted:

3. Maybe look up product owner (I dunno if that exists in the game world) and maybe think about a 3rd resume geared toward that/release manager.

Circling back to this b/c I got asked to submit my resume for an Agile Project Manager for mobile games b/c I have a stellar ship record & lead role experience :cheers: They're looking for someone mid-level, with games experience, to ship a project. I am 100000000% sure I can do this job and knock it out of the park, I've basically had to do this job on TOP of my normal job b/c I've worked with producers who don't do poo poo, I've shadowed a producer who does this job, I just need to make sure I am:

1. Highlighting the fact that I know how to run a loving Agile workflow for a mobile game, and
2. Drawing a clear line that I am capable of pivoting into the producer role (which my IRL experience speaks for, but I wanna make sure I'm getting this poo poo across, which I'm bad at doing).
3. My most recent work experience is solo dev, so the producing is less impressive, BUT it had a full-on volunteer QA force so I had to run an entire Jira triage, AND I did pedantic Trello/Jira Agile project management on the whole thing, so I think it's a plus?

I plan on telling the guy I've done this role while I've had the Designer title, and am happily looking to pivot into this, but like I said, I wanna be 100% clear and don't wanna blow this b/c he's also a friend of mine and leaving the role and recommending me for it :ohdear: I've also got a bucket file with like, every single thing I've ever done at my jobs, so I can comb through and replace some designer lines with more producer stuff if I'm not getting it across.

Resume link: https://imgur.com/rofuvhl

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just applied for a job that a basically a match for my PhD research. Not too many of that type, so god I hope this one pans out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just applied for a job that a basically a match for my PhD research. Not too many of that type, so god I hope this one pans out.

Sorry, I was going to email you but we feel like our PhD would feel threatened by your experience so we're going to pass.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Suppose that's an improvement on being constantly rejected because my experience isn't specialized enough

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I just got rejected from a job application in under an hour, and they threw a "so you want to be a pen tester?" PDF guide into the reply with real basic info in it.

Great way to get yourself blacklisted as condescending shits.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Amazon got back to me, one of my 5 interviewers is interested in me for a role with the same title on the same team, just different work. They say I won't have to do the 5 person loop again, just interview with the manager. He was easily the nicest person I interviewed with, hopefully this one will work out this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mustang posted:

Amazon got back to me, one of my 5 interviewers is interested in me for a role with the same title on the same team, just different work. They say I won't have to do the 5 person loop again, just interview with the manager. He was easily the nicest person I interviewed with, hopefully this one will work out this time.

Nice! I've always thought this was the best outcome of an interview.