Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I think I hit a new record for the thread.

Seed is in the screenshot if you want to try it out with the Ghost Deck, White Stakes.

Final Jokers were:

Yorick
Perkeo
Triboulet
Sock and Buskin
Negative Driver's License
Blueprint
Polychrome Brainstorm

Gameplay spoilers:

I ended up getting a Cryptid and an Eris (flush five planet) in my inventory, and with Blueprint+Brainstorm+Perkeo I was able to make 3 copies between the two every time I left the shop. Eventually I got a Polychrome King which I copied a bunch, then I made one of them glass and copied that one a bunch, then I got to add a Red Seal to one of them and copied that a few times, but the Ante 14 boss was The Plant and ruined all my Kings before I was able to ever play a 5x Glass Red Seal Polychrome King Hand.

For Joker ordering I think the optimal was the following:

Triboulet, Sock and Buskin, Blueprint, Brainstorm, Driver's License, Yorick

Flush Five was somewhere around level 15-20, so I around 550x50 or something like that. I'll say 500x50 for ease of math. Had I been able to play a full Flush Five of Polychrome, Glass, Red Sealed Kings, it would have been the following:

Base: 500x50
For each King:
+10 chips, x2 (Triboulet), x2 (Blueprint), x2 (Brainstorm), x1.5x (Polychrome), x2 (Glass)
(Total +10 chips, x24 mult)
repeat all of the above from Red Seal
(Total +20 chips, x576 mult)
repeat all of the above from Sock and Buskin
(Total +40 chips, x 331776 mult)

Do that all 5 times
(Total +200 chips, x4019988717840603673710821376 mult)

x3 mult from Driver's License, x1.5 mult from Polychrome Brainstorm, x5 mult from Yorick

(Total +200 chips, x90449746151413582658493480960 mult)
+500 chips and x50 mult from the base hand
=
700 chips x 4522487307570679132924674048000 mult
or
Score: 3.16574e+33 chips

I'm so sad I didn't get to play the best possible hand, but this was amazing fun either way.

Do you remember any of your early picks? I made it to ante 4 or 5 with the Polychrome Brainstorm, but was really lacking something to give me some initial mult (that would later get X15 or so from that one Joker that gives you x3 if all held cards are Spade or Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, while seeing final builds like that is cool my real question is how do you get to that point in the first place? Is there a lot of luck involved or are you actively rerolling and fishing for the right combos?

I should watch people stream this game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There are long-term strategies and short-term strategies.

If you are looking to "win" the run so to speak, you just need to make sure you have good enough short-term strategies, which are pretty easy to adapt to on the fly in most decks. You need to make sure the boss blind isn't going to screw you over, and just take optimal things that come along to ensure you are scoring higher than you need to for whatever ante you are on. If you are on like ante 6 for example and barely keeping up, you might need to make some risky moves like rerolling for much better jokers, because that is way too early to barely be keeping up.

If you want to build a deck that goes to as high an ante as possible, you basically have to figure out a strategy that both constantly earns money and replaces cards in your deck so that eventually every card is the same with red seals. Keep in mind no one tarot or spectral effect is going to do this, it's always a combination of many things, like destroying cards, copying cards, fishing for new cards, etc. Knowing joker combos is pretty important, but the first thing you want to do is definitely get into a good position financially. That might be the hardest part of the game for relatively new players to figure out.

When you are on like ante 10 with $400, that's when you can start figuring out what jokers you need to reroll for and try to finalize a build.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Elman posted:

Yeah, while seeing final builds like that is cool my real question is how do you get to that point in the first place? Is there a lot of luck involved or are you actively rerolling and fishing for the right combos?

Personally I don't go for rerolls unless I'm swimming in cash. I find that saving my money between rounds in order to get synergistic Jokers as they come up naturally works well enough. Not that it'll always happen, I just don't think re-rolls will save you from a bad run.

What I find works early on is to go broad and just pick up any advantage I can. You can always sell Jokers at the next shop to get something preferable, so there's not much harm in screwing around a bit early on before you find a groove.

My hard commits early on are anything that allows me to start saving up money, like the rocket or the egg. Those are always good investments because They are going to empower you to clear out shops of every advantage they can give you, and once you find a joker you want to take their place it's not all that sad to sell them.

My other advice would be to prioritize any card that allows you to continuously upgrade it throughout the run. I will always switching static card for an upgradable card. These can include things like castle which you can add chips to every round, or something like trousers which gives more multiplier for every time you play a two pair. Something like that in coalescence with a steady stream of planet upgrades will allow you to stay competitive with the blinds.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

So the other day I finally got gold on a second deck, which I think might be illustrative:

That's a negative blueprint, which I pulled in a booster pack on the first or second shop I hit up. That's basically the most powerful joker you can possibly have, but the run was still an uphill battle because I wasn't finding any xmultiplier to copy so it was still just an additive boost. I did get the wee joker fairly early, and a few antes later I picked up Hack, so in the midgame I spent a lot of time deliberately stalling to fish for 2s that I could repeat with blueprint + hack to run up wee joker. Even though my deck was plenty loaded for early-mid antes I used skip very sparingly (even if I knew I would get very little money from beating a blind) because I needed more shops and more chances to pump up wee joker. Any time I had more than $30 I would reroll the shop at least once, and I was basically not touching booster packs at this point due to the orange stake price gouging; I had pulled a couple good playing cards early and called it good, and would occasionally buy a tarot pack if I was particularly loaded, but planets were basically out.

(Hack also gave me something to sacrifice to the boss, since I was essentially using it just to pump up wee joker--being able to retrigger the club joker and even steven was handy but not a very big boost most of the time since I didn't have the deck manipulation to constantly play low even clubs.)

On ante 7 I finally picked up the flower pot and now I had a winning joker loadout since using blueprint to hit a x3 twice would put me up to a quarter million or more. I was still reliant on triggering flower pot which was not a guarantee, so I started using my rerolls to hoard suit fixing tarot cards instead (I had to burn a couple on the last few blinds before the boss, but was able to replace them and didn't need them in the end.)

Obviously there was a shitton of luck in pulling two very powerful jokers early on plus a 3rd soon after that synergized amazingly with them, but it also took a lot of scraping by and trying to maximize opportunities to pick up the finishing piece.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 1, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Good god the grind to even completing the white stake of the black deck is miserable

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just discovered that Blueprint doesn't work with the Joker that doubles all probabilities, that's a bummer :(

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got the joker that levels up the first discarded hand and copied it twice. Ended the final ante with a level 48 flush. I'm sure there's better and it wasn't as high scoring as I'd like due to no multi-mults or whatever you want to call them, but it was fun.

DaveWoo posted:

I just discovered that Blueprint doesn't work with the Joker that doubles all probabilities, that's a bummer :(

I just want the Switch to update so probabilities are 1 in 4 instead of 1 in 5. :(

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The card replacement/red seals everywhere thing is well and good, but requires an absolutely stupid amount of luck to actually pull off.

I can reroll heavily and get maybe one or two red seals an entire run, fishing for them. If I am very lucky, I can then make that card steel. I can make lots of cards steel, but not both steel and sealed.

Death doesn't show up in the store when I actually give a poo poo. And when it comes in a pack, the idiot pack doesn't draw my sealed card. Ever. I've only had duplication luck with DNA, which I have seen maybe three times in 20ish hours.

Not actually a gripe, since that applies more to endless than anything. The base game can be beat any number of really fun ways. Quite a few jokers synergize unexpectedly well. And having some that don't and diversifying yourself is also viable, at least on the earlier stakes. I suspect on the later ones too, but you might need more luck with other types of cards.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Can u make my black deck do that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcf-fTMyzNU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/PlaystackGames/status/1763614758043795909

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Tbh I was surprised the game wasn’t 18+ as I assumed ratings boards would have already just said “oh poker means gambling”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the ESRB must be destroyed

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it was pegi

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Serperoth posted:

Do you remember any of your early picks? I made it to ante 4 or 5 with the Polychrome Brainstorm, but was really lacking something to give me some initial mult (that would later get X15 or so from that one Joker that gives you x3 if all held cards are Spade or Club

Argh sorry I really wish I had recorded it.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Does the Cavendish only pop if the Gros Michel has destroyed itself? Or can you still get it if you buy the other one and then ditch it?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

If you want to build a deck that goes to as high an ante as possible, you basically have to figure out a strategy that both constantly earns money and replaces cards in your deck so that eventually every card is the same with red seals. Keep in mind no one tarot or spectral effect is going to do this, it's always a combination of many things, like destroying cards, copying cards, fishing for new cards, etc. Knowing joker combos is pretty important, but the first thing you want to do is definitely get into a good position financially. That might be the hardest part of the game for relatively new players to figure out.

Thanks for the advice, by the way. I think I'm getting better at that kind of long term thinking but I'm still not even close:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Are video game ratings boards as obfuscated and somewhat secretly hyper religious like the the MPAA?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Veryslightlymad posted:

Are video game ratings boards as obfuscated and somewhat secretly hyper religious like the the MPAA?

It's like the air force where the members think they are about to be in the book of Revelations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

Thanks for the advice, by the way. I think I'm getting better at that kind of long term thinking but I'm still not even close:

At ante 12+ retriggering multiplier-multipliers on cards is the way to go. Steel cards, glass cards, polychrome cards with red seal and jokers that retrigger cards or have card based multipliers (Baron, Ancient Joker.) You also start to really want jokers that copy jokers. Billion-plus scores are usually made by stacking a lot of 1.5x multipliers.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pipski posted:

Does the Cavendish only pop if the Gros Michel has destroyed itself? Or can you still get it if you buy the other one and then ditch it?

Fairly certain GM needs to destroy itself for Cavendish to show up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

the holy poopacy posted:

At ante 12+ retriggering multiplier-multipliers on cards is the way to go. Steel cards, glass cards, polychrome cards with red seal and jokers that retrigger cards or have card based multipliers (Baron, Ancient Joker.) You also start to really want jokers that copy jokers. Billion-plus scores are usually made by stacking a lot of 1.5x multipliers.

I need to figure out how to get these more reliably, I'm still just squeaking in wins. Pretty reliably at least, but I've only gotten past ante 10 once

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Finally got around to beating base Black Deck. God what a terrible deck. Absolutely 100% leaving that nonsense to last for attempting stakes

Knocked myself down to 2 hands per round /w 5 discards and just abused the 2 pair combo I had setup.

Thank god for the Reroll Boss tag, cause I was up against The Wall initially. Which needed 300k to win

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Black stake checkered deck is harder than it sounds. I restart for something good and still get destroyed when my flush or straight flush decks can't get there.

Eternal Jokers should be part of the main game, maybe with a tarot or spectral card. They can be a benefit sometimes, like with the wild joker that destroys a random one. Do they work the way I want with the Knife Joker?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

Black stake checkered deck is harder than it sounds. I restart for something good and still get destroyed when my flush or straight flush decks can't get there.

Eternal Jokers should be part of the main game, maybe with a tarot or spectral card. They can be a benefit sometimes, like with the wild joker that destroys a random one. Do they work the way I want with the Knife Joker?

There's no reason you can't do something other than flushes with checkered deck. If the game hands you big flush synergy then sure you can just roll with it, but otherwise there's nothing stopping you from just using reliable flushes as a way to trounce the early game while you pivot into building for face cards or low cards or stone or steel or whatever else.

Knife won't destroy eternal jokers (nothing will), but it won't gain any multiplier from them either.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I beat 15 minute cities by stacking kings and playing basically all face cards. I just ignored ride the bus, gently caress that card

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
I feel like building a long term strategy is mostly dependent on the first decent jokers I encounter. Early on the biggest thing I am looking for is the ability to get ahead of the curve so I’m not spending all my cash taking desperation picks just to beat the next blind. It’s too easy early on to get a joker that EVENTUALLY kicks rear end in a shop and take it only for it to not give you enough of an immediate boost to do anything for you. Cash jokers can also be a trap; Having the egg and golden joker in the first ante is sweet but if you passed on a basic joker to get it the second ante might kick your rear end. I like having a basic multiplier joker; even the most basic +4 works for the first and second acts, at least initially. As long as you can smoke the early blinds with one nice hand it allows you to gently caress around with your deck and any ramping jokers that might show up. Blueprint isn’t going to get you past the second ante if you have nothing decent for it to copy!

All that said if by the third ante nothing decent has come along I usually just reroll since otherwise it’s just a slow depressing burn.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I beat 15 minute cities by stacking kings and playing basically all face cards. I just ignored ride the bus, gently caress that card

I love it. I beat that one by having 16 foil rocks in my deck. It's cool that it works either way, though.

I really need to beat one of the easier decks without ever touching a flush, though, because I want the flush version of the mult jokers.....

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Playstack: "The game does not feature gambling mechanics of any kind"
Ratings board: "Nope!"

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Playstack: "The game does not feature gambling mechanics of any kind"
Ratings board: "Nope!"

Probably the same logic as "these products contain no nicotine"

:byodood:: But they encourage the activity!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I remember Luck Be a Landlord, a roguelike that uses a slot machine as its core mechanic, had similar issues. Apparently ratings boards can't tell the difference between mechanics from gambling games and gambling mechanics.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Get hosed, gold stake. Highlights include accidentally resetting the bus halfway through the run and The Eye very nearly ending my run because I could not for the life of me dig out a hand type I hadn't used already. I used a Fool to dupe Hanged Man specifically to deal with the bell, since I had cleared out most, but not all, of my face cards. Didn't need it but glad I had it as a failsafe.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

War Wizard posted:

Probably the same logic as "these products contain no nicotine"

:byodood:: But they encourage the activity!

I would assume because it's an imitation of gambling, and thus 'encourages' it.

Anyway time for my hourly chocolate cigarette break

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

now im curious about these ratings boards and their criteria, or if they just hire people who literally have never played a game before??

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

quote:

Balatro does not allow or encourage gambling
Bullshit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Don't worry folks, I am showing the rating boards Richard Garfield's lectures on randomness in games. They are all nodding their heads along so I'll get this issue solved up shortly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Space Joker is also a bastardman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Nope!