Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oversized for the standards of the Tithe it was levied. Compared to more militarized planets Tanith regiments can be pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm a complete novice but 6,000 troops doesn't seem like many in the grand scale of wh40k

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Slotducks posted:

I'm a complete novice but 6,000 troops doesn't seem like many in the grand scale of wh40k

Don't think about numbers in 40k, they are complete nonsense.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Slotducks posted:

It's not but Tanith isn't massively populated and also it was supposed to be the first of many instead of the first and only.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just add and subtract 0s as you see fit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They ain't pumping out 100,000-strong Krieger regiments, that's for sure.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They are specialized scout/reconnaissance troopers from an agri-world. Not front line troopers from a fortress world.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Tanith makes a lot more sense when you realize it is the Brits blowing up Space Ireland

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's just Sharpe but in space

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Pretty sure he does have a scoresheet to keep track of members because there's so many. Mild spoilers for the 3rd and 4th book: However there are occasions where someone pops up in a future book despite being dead because Abnett forgot and had to write in a retcon. Looking at you, Lucky Bonin

The most recent Sabbat World's Anthology had a short story set after Anarch that made a point of highlighting a lot of the Ghost's first names, so people who've been in the series for 20 years as just Haller suddenly got first names.

I remember Abnett (or someone running his Facebook page) soliciting fans to check if certain characters had already established first names or not. So there is some reliance on fan databases for certain things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is a Ghosts wiki, but I don't know of its actively maintained or not. It was very threadbare when I stumbled across it in the past.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

OPAONI posted:

One of the things I do appreciate about 40k is that the Imperium will hate you, the individual, specifically, for things entirely alien to the experience of someone in our world.

"Actually, I am a feminist" - Konrad Curze

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

OPAONI posted:

One of the things I do appreciate about 40k is that the Imperium will hate you, the individual, specifically, for things entirely alien to the experience of someone in our world.
The Imperium hates everyone unconditionally.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Somehow I've never got around to them, are the Ahriman books any good?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GW snuck in a book reveal today during Warhammer World Anniversary. No idea about the quality of author in this case.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/02/warhammer-world-anniversary-gunnar-brand-leads-the-oathbound-into-the-mortal-realms/

quote:

As well as starring in an episode of Hammer and Bolter, Gunnar Brand is also going to be the star of an upcoming Black Library tale, Darkoath by Chris Thursten. When a calamity ravages his homeland, Gunnar must face his fate and lead his tribe on an exodus through the wartorn land of Aqshy, as the Dark Gods tempt him with unimaginable power…

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

I liked them, but I remember they kind of lose steam as they go on. I've read them twice and still can't remember much outside of a couple of cool scenes. I remember at some point it gets weird though.

Wow... that didn't help at all, did it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope they turn Gereon into a new Tanith, must be some Nalwood seeds around somewhere.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Deptfordx posted:

I read them a long time ago and they left very little impression. John French is not a good author and I don't feel any desire to revisit them.

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope they turn Gereon into a new Tanith, must be some Nalwood seeds around somewhere.

Trazyn has some :haw:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

The first two(?) are forgettable but 3 is more engaging, and I haven't read 4 but who can resist a big tiddie space marine wizard?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

notaspy posted:

The first two(?) are forgettable but 3 is more engaging, and I haven't read 4 but who can resist a big tiddie space marine wizard?

The Ahriman books are mostly good, but they also drop off a fair bit because there's only so many ways you can write "Yeah, this guy is cursed by fate and won't ever DO anything."

On the other hand, the last book has a kickass duel between an arch-sorcerer of chaos and a time-bending Necron Overlord, both competing to see who can cheat the hardest while reality just shits itself around them. So what do I know.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Sephyr posted:

because there's only so many ways you can write "Yeah, this guy is cursed by fate and won't ever DO anything."

Fabius Bile is the same and his trilogy is fairly entertaining.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Nah, they'll probably give them some random forest world that then turns out to be an Eldar Maiden world or something so it's semi-magical like Tanith.
And then they'll get to stay there unmolested because the Farseer from Ghostmaker says it's cool.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Cooked Auto posted:

Nah, they'll probably give them some random forest world that then turns out to be an Eldar Maiden world or something so it's semi-magical like Tanith.
And then they'll get to stay there unmolested because the Farseer from Ghostmaker says it's cool.

Then we'll jump ahead several hundred years to the present timeline and they'll be mustering their first tithe regiments under Commissar Isaac Haggard and the planet will get sucked into the warp with only one amalgamated regiment escaping. Haggard's Heroes of the Second and Only Tanith will have an outsized influence on the latter events of the Indomitus Crusade.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kylaer posted:

Fabius Bile is the same and his trilogy is fairly entertaining.

Bile has literally planted colonies of New&Better humans all around the place and sold his fake dad to a british robot hoarder.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yeah I think Bile's accomplished a lot in the setting and seems to keep on winning, it's just all stuff that won't be reflected in the tabletop game and that narrative.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

To be fair to Ahriman, he played a sweet trick on some Space Wolves, and got the inquisition to wipe out an innocent space marine chapter. His wins just never happen to have anything to do with what he actually wants to accomplish.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah I think Bile's accomplished a lot in the setting and seems to keep on winning, it's just all stuff that won't be reflected in the tabletop game and that narrative.

Bile is winning but the problem is his wins are the kind of thing that only pays off in the extreme long term so it's highly unlikely we'll see it outside of maybe a theoretical gene hound unit for Chaos Space Marines

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I missed out on the hardback print of Da Big Dakka. I didn't think it was going to sell out the first day it was up. Any guess as to when they'll do pre-orders for the paperback?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finished Da Big Dakka, honestly it's the best Brooks ork book imho, it has better pacing than the others, good jokes, character growth and entertaining non-ork PoVs. Overall a very fun romp.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Da big dakka is an incredible Ork book, the secret sauce of Mike Brooks's Ork books is some arrogant prick underestimating the Orks and getting their comeuppance. Combine that with the towering ego of the Dark Eldar and it makes it all the funnier. Speaking of the Dark Eldar it's probably the best Drukhari book in the whole Black Library catalog, really drills into what makes them tick.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brooks is a great author. He isn't at a Wraight or Abnett level but every book he has put out has been better than the last. Some authors never seem to get better but he is one of the ones that you can tell is always learning and refining his craft. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the running with Abnett/Wraight eventually.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Has there been any news or rumors about another Aaron Dembsky Bowden book? It feels like it has been forever.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Mikojan posted:

Has there been any news or rumors about another Aaron Dembsky Bowden book? It feels like it has been forever.

I read that he was having some significant problems with depression, I don't know if he's found any relief from it. Hoping so but it's a difficult thing to achieve.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Then we'll jump ahead several hundred years to the present timeline and they'll be mustering their first tithe regiments under Commissar Isaac Haggard and the planet will get sucked into the warp with only one amalgamated regiment escaping. Haggard's Heroes of the Second and Only Tanith will have an outsized influence on the latter events of the Indomitus Crusade.

And Abnett is passing the torch to... Nik Kyme.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cooked Auto posted:

:commissar:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

The Kymian Heresy

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Mach Bonin had gotten a lot of juvenat treatments and was somehow on one of the ships that escaped. He survives through all 12 books of Haggards Heroes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

habeasdorkus posted:

Mach Bonin had gotten a lot of juvenat treatments and was somehow on one of the ships that escaped. He survives through all 12 books of Haggards Heroes.

Mach Bonin the Duncan Idaho of the Tanith. That Tanith in Trazyn's collection? Probably Mach.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Kylaer posted:

I read that he was having some significant problems with depression, I don't know if he's found any relief from it. Hoping so but it's a difficult thing to achieve.

Has he said anything recently? He came off social media a few years ago and stopped blogging, but apart from his afterword in Echoes of Eternity I didn't think he'd said anything else publicly.

Pretty sure before he stopped blogging he'd mentioned working on the 2nd Emperor's Spears novel and 3rd Black Legion one.

There was definitely a theory that End and the Death would have some major lore shakeups it that'd affect future books. But how that bears out now its been published I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Couldn't come up with any other BL writer that had done a Guard spin off for Sabbat Crusades.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/03/sunday-preview-the-dawnbringers-crusade-continues-as-the-croneseer-circles-above/

Do you want some books? Of course ya do!

But only two this time around. There's the new Callis & Toll book by David Annandale.
Named... Callis & Toll. :v:

Available for pre-order in the usual first release formats.

On the more classic side, Road of Skulls by Josh Reynolds is getting an audiobook release.

After that it's just a bunch of German and French re-releases.