Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ImpAtom posted:

Does that mean we can't discuss Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth?

Hmmmmmm

No, I would never go against Kiryu in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

isn't there a home improvement/handyman vtuber who's just, a bear

Al Borland is vtubing?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I don't think so, tim

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
speaking of Balatro, get it now before your local ratings agency kills it:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/balatro-runs-into-rating-trouble

"Balatro runs into rating trouble

Poker-based roguelike removed from some regional console stores as publisher says PEGI rating was changed from 3+ to 18+ overnight"

https://twitter.com/LocalThunk/status/1763648752693502188

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

speaking of Balatro, get it now before your local ratings agency kills it:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/balatro-runs-into-rating-trouble

"Balatro runs into rating trouble

Poker-based roguelike removed from some regional console stores as publisher says PEGI rating was changed from 3+ to 18+ overnight"

https://twitter.com/LocalThunk/status/1763648752693502188

https://twitter.com/paletteswapmag/status/1763661641214738648?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Do you love Porco Rosso? Of course you do. So you might be interested in the newly released The Brew Barons.

Part flight sim, part brewing simulator.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257001452/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708038712

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it only just hit me that Porco Rosso could be translated into English as Red Bacon

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Rebel Blob posted:

Do you love Porco Rosso? Of course you do. So you might be interested in the newly released The Brew Barons.

Part flight sim, part brewing simulator.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257001452/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1708038712

this looked pretty dope until the airplanes started punching trees

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

and one of the reviews says the first hour and a half is just punching trees

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Good news!

Put an excellent goon made game on your wishlists

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Kinda dissapointed The Brew Barons is about punching trees. When I first heard of the game I assumed you'd be buying and flying in the stuff you need for brewing. Or smuggling it.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 1, 2024

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

mystes posted:

There are lots of people who are just using vtuber software who aren't like hololive idol parasocial streamer crap

Random example: this person with a low poly shark avatar who does 3d modeling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7ASd_nUe4

Omg thank you for introducing me to a new awesome artist! She's so cool!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HopperUK posted:

don't post vtubers in here, please God

e: no vtuber discourse!! It's Friday! I have three days off now! You can't ruin this for me!

im sorry but also lmao

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Really looks like it wears most of its inspiration on its sleeve for the design (which I am all for, hell yeah let me play a Porco Rosso)

Although, and this is rare that I'd argue for this - it looks like a game that absolutely should use anthropomorphic characters.

I guess they thought that would be a bit too obvious though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
VTubers are just mostly women streamers so as you would expect it makes gamers horny.

So they are functionally female streamers and are not that interesting. Don’t know why it becomes a thing everytime they are brought up

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

this whole time i thought vtuber meant.. video tuber. like it was just a general term for someone who makes videos for youtube, twitch, tiktok, whatever

now that i know better, hiding your face still seems like a good idea? given how utterly deranged people on the internet can get, especially with this whole weird.. parasocial thing, or whatever its called

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Envtubers are environment tubers

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

mystes posted:

There are lots of people who are just using vtuber software who aren't like hololive idol parasocial streamer crap

Random example: this person with a low poly shark avatar who does 3d modeling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7ASd_nUe4

I guess I would rather look at an animated avatar instead of someone's stupid face while watching a video, but at least the someone's stupid face is in the corner where it only takes up part of the screen. This avatar is floating around right in the middle of the action!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

not showing your face absolutely is a good idea, but you can just...not show your face

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sininu posted:

Envtubers are environment tubers

all tubers grow in the environment

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
pc gaming #ftw

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

not showing your face absolutely is a good idea, but you can just...not show your face

Having a face to show gets you massively more clicks. It's why so many Youtubers' videos have them or someone making a stupid face as the thumbnail, and the algorithm for auto-picking thumbnails biases frames with faces for the same reason.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boofhead posted:

this whole time i thought vtuber meant.. video tuber. like it was just a general term for someone who makes videos for youtube, twitch, tiktok, whatever

now that i know better, hiding your face still seems like a good idea? given how utterly deranged people on the internet can get, especially with this whole weird.. parasocial thing, or whatever its called

I have a friend who streams sometimes and she uses a (basic) model for exactly this reason. Like at the end of the day it's just a way to hide your face while still giving people the facecams that inexplicably drive viewership much higher.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

where do i sub!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No more vtuber chat.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
speaking of tubers, whats the deal with Brotato? I dont think theres anything for me to "get" other than that it is a preference, but I have a friend who direly liked it more than Vampire Survivors. i bought it, played it a little, and it never clicked for me? I thought the levels felt way too small and penned in. I think maybe he said the super short rounds are the draw?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it sounds like it's just a matter of taste, yeah. I like the much shorter rounds and more contained area - a big gripe i had with vampire survivors after playing it for a few hours was that it was really tedious to walk toward the powerups since they were so far away. i enjoy the movement and enemy manipulation in brotato a lot more.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

wizard2 posted:

speaking of tubers, whats the deal with Brotato? I dont think theres anything for me to "get" other than that it is a preference, but I have a friend who direly liked it more than Vampire Survivors. i bought it, played it a little, and it never clicked for me? I thought the levels felt way too small and penned in. I think maybe he said the super short rounds are the draw?

Balance is a big part of it. I like VS as much as the next person but after you advance the metaprogression enough it's pure power fantasy. Past the ~15 minute mark or so you don't even have to move anymore, enemies appear at the edges of the screen and die immediately from any number of completely broken builds. Brotato rarely if ever allows you to reach that point so I find it a lot more engaging.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I think it's very well balanced. The concept is pretty basic, but it's well executed and I like it because it's a fairly simple game that I can play while listening to an audiobook or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the appeal of Brotato becomes clearer once you unlock more characters, since each character has a gimmick and you unlock more stuff for each character you complete it with which can lead to fun build pressures.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You might get better answers from the dedicated VS-likes thread.

But yeah, it's pretty good. Random guns is more fun than upgrading abilities, the different items change things up quite a bit and the different character play quite differently. Or, as Jeff Vogel put in a blog post I read the other day:

quote:

Brotato is simple. There's 20 levels where you shoot monsters. Killing monsters give money, and you spend it on upgrades between levels. There are a ton of statistics (speed, attack speed, armor, life drain, etc.) you can improve on the way. The final level is 90 seconds, two big bosses. Kill or outlast them to win. (I'm describing the highest difficulty level, the only difficulty level of note.)

The genius comes from two things.

First, there are 35 different character classes. A lot are minor alterations on the base game. But the others are very strange. A lot of them make minor changes that turn Brotato into a completely different game and force you to rebuild your strategy from the ground up.

Then there is a pool of over 100 weapons and upgrades to buy. They are heavily balanced to allow for a lot of variety. Some are basic stat updates, but others force you to change your strategy on the fly to use their full power. Some items and weapons are better than others, but all of them are useful sometimes. They're strong enough to feel they make a difference without being broken.

So, while there are a multitude of ways to make your characters stronger, what you choose depends on which character you play. As you go through the game, every design element will, at some point, step forward and become vitally important. The design doesn't leave a scrap of fat on the bones.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah for sure, I didn't enjoy it at first but it got a lot more fun on realising it was all about hitting the gimmick with each character.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

wizard2 posted:

I never really got it either, but some people love it so more power to them imo

^ some useful explanation thanks, might try it again with that in mind

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's like Balatro but with more shooting

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

mystes posted:

It's like Balatro but with more shooting

Is it more of a Balatro-like or Balatro-lite?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's more of a Brolatro or maybe a Balatato

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

valve just obliterated like (no exaggeration) 800 games off the platform, all of them connected to the scammers who put up the fake helldivers 2/palworld/tarkov/etc store pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I can't loving believe this wasn't a joke post