Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A Rick has hit the three Johns, I repeat, a Rick has hit the three Johns.

A little weird that members of Florida's congressional delegation are joining him for this announcement, but I can't think of anything it could be other than Rick Scott running for Senate Leadership.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1763587119044309441

So we're going from a turtle to a soul-eating lich. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I doubt Scott has the juice for that, everyone's still mad at him for bankrupting the RNCC. He can make it nasty though, especially if Trump decides to back him.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Does Rick Scott even have enough people in congress who like tolerate him enough to male a run at leadership?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As Mike Johnson proved, you don't need a lot of people to like you, you just need to be hated slightly less than everyone who flamed out

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

As Mike Johnson proved, you don't need a lot of people to like you, you just need to be hated slightly less than everyone who flamed out

i mean he was picked because he was boring and no one had him in their book of grudges and was a nutjob but a less crazy one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Who among these putative candidates would be the most competent evil?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cornyn. But I am biased.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

Maybe the angels don't want USAF fighter jets shadowing them in the sky, seems risky.

They might also be pissed about Blue Angels infringing their copyright

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nenonen posted:

They might also be pissed about Blue Angels infringing their copyright

They were just disappointed when they showed up and it turned out to be the color not the verb

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
this appears to be a decent dive on the border bill, particularly asylum provisions (you know, the main bad part) as it stands / was torpedoed by Trump:

https://www.americanimmigrationcoun...ited%20removal.

There are a few fiddly bits I recall that it doesn't cover (eg some amount of asylum seekers must be transported to legal entry points when encountered) but it's a decent summary by an org that doesn't like it all that much. For example, they note that changing the language in credible fear asylum interviews would reduce approvals for that part from about 65% to about 45%.

As far as the part with the silly name of shutting down the border, I've noted before that it boils down to making people cool their heels on the Mexican side of the line until encounters drop low enough, which is something the Biden admin was rightly trying to mitigate and reduce in 2021 and 2022. There's not much in the way of clear provisions to make the resulting refugee campa there safer and more humane, although historically the administration has been able to shuffle money around from elsewhere for that, and the massive increase in processing staffing (the best part of the bill) would help the problem from that end.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Jesus III posted:

There is as much likelihood that UFOs are aliens or angels, probably zero.

Two things:
1) “Likelihood…probably zero” means the likelihood is not zero. That’s how likelihood works.
2) Of course biological aliens are more likely than angels. Biological life exists in the universe, here at least. Exoplanets exist. However unlikely, the chances that intelligent life from elsewhere has found the time to visit earth (maybe starting hundreds of millions of years ago, they didn’t necessarily nip over from Alpha Centauri when our first radio signals arrived) are still higher than the chances that the bible is true and angels and demons are zooming through the sky having a secret war.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

Two things:
1) “Likelihood…probably zero” means the likelihood is not zero. That’s how likelihood works.
2) Of course biological aliens are more likely than angels. Biological life exists in the universe, here at least. Exoplanets exist. However unlikely, the chances that intelligent life from elsewhere has found the time to visit earth (maybe starting hundreds of millions of years ago, they didn’t necessarily nip over from Alpha Centauri when our first radio signals arrived) are still higher than the chances that the bible is true and angels and demons are zooming through the sky having a secret war.

There is only proof of life on one planet. It's the same planet that made up angels and UFOs. Nerds just really want to believe Star Wars is real, just like Christians want to believe angels are.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jesus III posted:

There is only proof of life on one planet. It's the same planet that made up angels and UFOs. Nerds just really want to believe Star Wars is real, just like Christians want to believe angels are.

I mean, that's true, but how many have we been able to examine conclusively? Any how many are left to check as possibilities?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jesus III posted:

There is only proof of life on one planet.

That we currently know of as of this time on March 1, 2024

1,500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And right now we know that we're alone in this universe. Imagine what we'll know tomorrow.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat.

The ancient Egyptians worked out the curvature of the Earth, Columbus was just an idiot which is why no one respectable would fund him.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Morrow posted:

The ancient Egyptians worked out the curvature of the Earth, Columbus was just an idiot which is why no one respectable would fund him.

It's a quote from Men in Black.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Morrow posted:

the ancient greeks calculated the earth's circumference and were only like 100 miles off which is pretty cool i think

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In general given the massive size of the universe, the number of planets, the sheer amount of time that the universe has been around and in a state "friendly" to carbon based life; it seems improbable for us to be the sole occurrence of intelligent life/technological civilization (i.e the Apes or Angels hypothesis). If we are, then either we're the first, or already dead, and haven't yet run into whatever it is that acts as a "filter" that prevents intelligent civilizations from spreading* across the stars.

As even with rudimentary technology, a civilization sending exactly or at most 1 colony ship to a nearby star system, even if just once every 100 years would on galactic and geological timescales be enough for the entire galaxy to be fully colonized within a few million years; hence why the Apes or Angels or Great Filter thought experiments being popular.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The problem with interstellar travel is that all civilizations that have learned space travel have also learned nuclear weapons, and thus will not live long enough to colonise other systems.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nenonen posted:

The problem with interstellar travel is that all civilizations that have learned space travel have also learned nuclear weapons, and thus will not live long enough to colonise other systems.

That could be one such "Great Filter" yeah.

In reality it could just as easily be the step from dead matter to vibrant pond scum is actually insanely hard; or the time span in which the universe is friendly is actually much shorter than we think.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's a quote from Men in Black.

The worst part is I knew someone would point that out and yet I didn't bother to correct it with something more accurate. Oh well :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Raenir Salazar posted:

That could be one such "Great Filter" yeah.

Or there's the opposite of a great filter, where FTL tech or generation ships inherently enable races to either solve all their problems in their home system or with one or two neighbors, or they get access to, like, other galaxies and poo poo. Or all the hot races already found each other and are busy loving, but earth is cordoned off because its inhabitants are considered unfuckable.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

There are cameras almost literally everywhere that humans are now. We would almost certainly have caught aliens clearly on camera in HD if they had visited Earth. We haven't, and so there is no more reason to believe in alien visitation than angels.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

There are cameras almost literally everywhere that humans are now. We would almost certainly have caught aliens clearly on camera in HD if they had visited Earth. We haven't, and so there is no more reason to believe in alien visitation than angels.
Aliens don't show up on cameras.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Then they wouldn't show up in our eyes so you'd never have UFO sightings.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
The truth is out there.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Crows Turn Off posted:

i think thats vampires...

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

Alien vampires only show up in mirrors

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

Then they wouldn't show up in our eyes so you'd never have UFO sightings.

Eyes are the windows to the soul, and cameras don't have souls. This must mean aliens are spiritual beings only visible to those with a soul. Perhaps since you can't see them you might be an NPC...??? Makes you think.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Or there's the opposite of a great filter, where FTL tech or generation ships inherently enable races to either solve all their problems in their home system or with one or two neighbors, or they get access to, like, other galaxies and poo poo. Or all the hot races already found each other and are busy loving, but earth is cordoned off because its inhabitants are considered unfuckable.

Other way around, Earth is under quarantine because we keep trying to probe everyone who visits.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

We are all angels :dings:. However, there are alternative explanations that have so far gone unmentioned: Could aliens and UFOs be manifestations of demonic activity? Some say they are, and the US government is somewhat aware of this but also uses the popular idea of UFOs to cover things up.

quote:

As Orthodox Christians we know that some of the UFOs are actually demons. This reality will not have been overlooked by the many government investigations into the phenomenon, even if they do not fully understand the demonic nature. We can only guess at how those in power try to conform this knowledge to their own beliefs, but what we can be sure of is that they will be using the phenomenon in any way that favours their own agenda. The military invests unimaginable amounts of money developing and testing advanced aircraft, and maintaining the belief in UFOs creates a perfect cover story for when one of them is seen or photographed. With yet more footage of UFOs being released by the U.S. Navy in 2021, we see this second deception continuing, perpetuating the sense that something big is just around the corner.

You can read more about Fr. Spyridon's ideas in his book, The UFO Deception (2021), available for free on the Internet Archive. :angel:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Given the sheer number of galaxies out there, I believe that the universe is teeming with life, much of it intelligent and technologically advanced. But the physical realities of long distance interstellar travel are so prohibitive that if UFOs were real I'd be more inclined to believe they are some sort of dimensional stranger rather than a visitor from another planet.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://x.com/byjackkelly/status/1763677400221581764?s=46

What… what the gently caress. What the gently caress?!?!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

the ancient greeks calculated the earth's circumference and were only like 100 miles off which is pretty cool i think

Aristophanes I think? And yeah it was pretty close. Maybe not "100 miles" close but it was a good job by those folks.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
eratosthenes. most of his errors came from assuming the earth was perfectly spherical instead of an elliptiod

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

https://x.com/byjackkelly/status/1763677400221581764?s=46

What… what the gently caress. What the gently caress?!?!

https://apnews.com/article/wisconsin-redistricting-congress-republican-democrat-52488bd0331dd9f8815946623fb3246a

I'm a bit confused myself. Does that mean the maps Evers signed in this February are still going into effect?

EDIT: a more helpful piece...

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...ps/72810099007/

quote:

Newly elected liberal Supreme Court Justice Janet Protasiewicz did not participate in a vote on the motion, writing Friday that she was not seated on the court when the underlying case was decided. Chief Justice Annette Ziegler joined Bradley in her concurring opinion rejecting the request to consider new maps.

The decision came in response to a motion filed in January by the Democratic law firm Elias Law Group to the state Supreme Court asking the court to reconsider the congressional lines ahead of the 2024 election. The group argued new lines were warranted after the high court, when considering the legislative map challenge late last year, said it would no longer favor maps that minimize changes to existing boundary lines — a theory known as the "least-change" approach.

Wisconsin’s current congressional district boundaries were drawn by Evers and later approved by the state Supreme Court. The U.S. Supreme Court in March 2022 rejected the state’s legislative maps, also drawn by Evers, but declined to block the congressional lines at the time.

Democrats, however, argued in recent months that Evers' congressional maps were drawn under those now-defunct "least change" constraints.

[...]

There are just two competitive congressional districts in Wisconsin under the current maps. Republicans hold six of the state’s eight House seats, and Democrats safely control the deep blue 2nd and 4th Districts, anchored by Madison and Milwaukee, respectively.

The western 3rd District and southeastern 1st District are Wisconsin’s only competitive seats. Evers’ map put in place in 2022 maintained a slight Republican edge in the 3rd District, which flipped red later that year, and made the 1st District more competitive for Democrats, moving it from about a 9-point Republican margin down to a 2-point edge. Republican Rep. Bryan Steil easily won reelection in the 1st District last cycle.

Pretty lame, but if you're a big believer in precedent and stare decisis, I can see why Protasiewicz sat out. If the GOP ever takes back the court, they won't return the favor, though.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 2, 2024

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.al.com/news/2024/02/alabama-republican-urges-fertility-clinics-to-reopen-uab-says-its-not-so-simple.html

Alabama's Attorney General pinky swore that he wouldn't prosecute any IVF practices so Bama GOP pols want the IVF practices to go back to business as usual.

quote:

“These clinics should start providing these services again. It is not fair to patients to have their embryos held hostage and procedures cancelled,” Rep. Susan DuBose, (R-Hoover), told AL.com Sunday. “My heart goes out to the families caught in IVF process.”

She pointed to Attorney General Steve Marshall’s statement on Friday that his office had “no intention” of prosecuting IVF clinics or families who use the procedure. The Alabama Supreme Court ruling held that frozen embryos had the same status as children in wrongful death lawsuits.

Dubose said she will support legislation that gives clear guidance to clinics on how to proceed with in vitro fertilization. Several Democratic lawmakers already have filed a bill that say that any fertilized human egg or human embryo outside of a human uterus “under any circumstances” would not be considered “an unborn child, a minor child, a natural person, or any other term that connotes a human being for any purpose under state law.” State Sen. Tim Melson, (R-Florence), also said last week that he plans to file a bill to address the issue.

After the surprise ruling on Feb. 16, three fertility clinics in the state paused services, placing embryos and hopeful parents in limbo.

The Eagle Forum, a prominent lobbying group in the state, pointed to fertility clinics as culprits for patients’ current impasse.

“Now that Attorney General Marshall has publicly stated that he has no plans to prosecute In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) clinics, there is no excuse for any Alabama IVF clinics to stop holding the hopes of parents and the welfare of their children hostage. Please reopen and let your competent and compassionate staff practice,” the organization said in a statement Saturday.

But one major health organization said Sunday that reopening isn’t so simple.

“We very much appreciate Attorney General Steve Marshall’s support of IVF. Because attorney general opinions are not binding on Alabama courts, we are required to follow the Alabama Supreme Court’s decision unless and until it reconsiders its opinion, or the Alabama Legislature addresses it through legislation,” a spokesperson for UAB said in an email.

Clinics and patients are planning public demonstrations this week.

The gall of these fuckers putting the blame on these clinics.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 2, 2024

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

lobster shirt posted:

No, aliens show up just fine on vampires.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Zwabu posted:

https://www.al.com/news/2024/02/alabama-republican-urges-fertility-clinics-to-reopen-uab-says-its-not-so-simple.html

Alabama's Attorney General pinky swore that he wouldn't prosecute any IVF practices so Bama GOP pols want the IVF practices to go back to business as usual.

The gall of these fuckers putting the blame on these clinics.

Sure it's the law of the land but I pinky swear we won't prosecute you for 20,000 cases of murder if you drop a tray of eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Sure it's the law of the land but I pinky swear we won't prosecute you for 20,000 cases of murder if you drop a tray of eggs

Promise only good until the next attorney General is elected