Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

They also stole slaves and then sold them

they also stole slaves and used them to restock their numbers on occasion

in conclusion piracy is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

theres a lot of things in the setting that do justify the poo poo the imperium does. like a lot of xenos really are completely untrustworthy and evil and should be killed on sight. even some of the more reasonable ones like the eldar are perfectly happy to murder a million humans if it saves one of their own. psykers do gotta be treated like poo poo because even a single rogue psyker can gently caress up an entire planet. you do need people to worship the emperor because the alternative is total breakdown of society and chaos worship. but they also live in a awful hellish universe full of terrible things so i dont think too hard about what this means in political terms. i just want to smash my warhams together

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

they also stole slaves and used them to restock their numbers on occasion

in conclusion piracy is a land of contrasts

I dont think impressment of slaves is good

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They call it warhammer because they wanted to hammer the point that war is bad

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

They also stole slaves and then sold them

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

I dont think impressment of slaves is good

That's why they said "also", not "however".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Most contemporary historiographies I've read about the Caribbean seem to believe that pirates were at least morally equivalent to the normal cultures in the region and probably much better.

In the land where everybody's a monster the self interested rear end in a top hat is a saint.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also much more democratic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Also much more democratic.

I was surprised to learn that Pirate ships were probably the most democratic places at the time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't know what they supposedly fixed on Eufrates II but Ulfar is literally useless in that map. 2 tough miniboss fights down and he's not capable of doing anything because he's stuck behind boxes or the pathways are too narrow.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jack Trades posted:

Hobby fascists take Starship Troopers at face value as a "Service Guarantees Citizenship" pro-militarism "doing your duty" propaganda piece.

You literally cannot make a piece of satire that won't be taken seriously by some type of lunatics.

There's a lot of people who watch Starship Troopers who literally just see a rah rah shoot-the-aliens action movie and don't process it as making any kind of political statement, because they don't think about the media they consume through a political lens most of the time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

especially when the lens is covering the entire drat screen

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Thinking of picking this back up again and wondering if I should continue my save file in Act IV or if I should just start over again. Esp with the combat rebalances I assume I'll have to rework all my builds anyways.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They've added VA to the introduction and updated it so you might find it worthy of restart.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

There's a lot of people who watch Starship Troopers who literally just see a rah rah shoot-the-aliens action movie and don't process it as making any kind of political statement, because they don't think about the media they consume through a political lens most of the time.

The first time I saw starship troopers my takeaway was "I like boobs, boobs are great."

Now granted I was in the fourth grade.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kanos posted:

It's totally understandable when people consume media without thinking at all, that's fine, whatever.
I'm more talking about the people that watched it, thought about it, and arrived at the exact opposite conclusion than intended.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Jack Trades posted:

It's totally understandable when people consume media without thinking at all, that's fine, whatever.
I'm more talking about the people that watched it, thought about it, and arrived at the exact opposite conclusion than intended.

Maybe it's like when some conservative rear end in a top hat tries to spread a message about how being queer will get you sent straight to hell and the reaction is "hell yeah, sounds rad". Nobody has any obligation to reach an intended conclusion, you can make whatever the gently caress you want out of a message and nobody can stop you.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The right is immune to satire.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Best companions: Adelbard, Cassia, Heinrix

Most annoying companions: Jae, Ulfar, Pasqal

Yrliet and Idira are fine.

Jae and Pasqal are both personally annoying and Pasqal in particular is not only confusing from a build perspective but also confusing from a story perspective. All Adeptus Mechanicus people are somewhat inscrutable, but with Pasqal especially I find myself glazing over a lot of his story content. It's a combination of unrelatable and not very interesting.

Jae on the other hand comes across as disingenuous and manipulative in an altogether very unsubtle way. Her story missions have also been one note and one of them perpetrated the terrible crime of adding stealth content into a game that wasn't made for it. Awful.

Ulfar is mechanically unique and in a game that doesn't even get the broad strokes right, this is a death sentence.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Did they just get bored writing the story for Act 4? Oops point of no return I guess you're fighting Necrons now! Is there anything going on? Doesn't seem to be, just fighting them for some reason.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

babypolis posted:

theres a lot of things in the setting that do justify the poo poo the imperium does. like a lot of xenos really are completely untrustworthy and evil and should be killed on sight. even some of the more reasonable ones like the eldar are perfectly happy to murder a million humans if it saves one of their own. psykers do gotta be treated like poo poo because even a single rogue psyker can gently caress up an entire planet. you do need people to worship the emperor because the alternative is total breakdown of society and chaos worship. but they also live in a awful hellish universe full of terrible things so i dont think too hard about what this means in political terms. i just want to smash my warhams together

Theres enough history of cooperation that if you didnt care about keeping the forever war of a tabletop armyman game setting you could theoretically have an ordertide style alliance between humans/necron/tau/eldar/votann.

Biggest problem is just that just about all those factions are historically expansionist empires that would lay claim to the entirety of the galaxy once chaos/tyranids/orks were gone. Would be funny though to be in the room as deliberations broke down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Act 4 is a massive letdown compared to the previous Owlcat games and progression standards.

There's essentially no additional systems that you can access that weren't available in Act 2, and most companion quests are just taking place on the same planets the story missions are sending you.

I think they cut a ton of planned stuff from the game in various stages of development after realizing they were in over their heads(arguably a good thing). Not having to commit to KS backer rewards meant there was no urgent need to keep in the stuff they knew was going to be difficult to implement.

Lots of rumors and hearsay about the game in general, the cut stuff after GW told them "no" mid development, probably planning some much grander version of colony management and vendors the had to be cut back, the issues with the combat system sort of falling into a mix of being way too easy and enemies being given completely ridiculous stats to try and balance it out but not working.

I don't even see the need for vendors in the first place, all the really great unique stuff should be recovered as part of the companion quests, especially Space Marine gear, and vendors should just have refillable consumables on a timer, and the various ranks of weapons, basic, X-patterns, etc. unlock as you progress in the game.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 1, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Eifert Posting posted:

The first time I saw starship troopers my takeaway was "I like boobs, boobs are great."

let's be fair, shower scene is the one most people remember.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

George Sex - REAL posted:

Best companions: Adelbard, Cassia, Heinrix

Most annoying companions: Jae, Ulfar, Pasqal

Yrliet and Idira are fine.

Jae and Pasqal are both personally annoying and Pasqal in particular is not only confusing from a build perspective but also confusing from a story perspective. All Adeptus Mechanicus people are somewhat inscrutable, but with Pasqal especially I find myself glazing over a lot of his story content. It's a combination of unrelatable and not very interesting.

Jae on the other hand comes across as disingenuous and manipulative in an altogether very unsubtle way. Her story missions have also been one note and one of them perpetrated the terrible crime of adding stealth content into a game that wasn't made for it. Awful.

Ulfar is mechanically unique and in a game that doesn't even get the broad strokes right, this is a death sentence.

Abby and Pasqal are the best. Pasqal is by far the funniest character in the entire game if you pay any attention at all to him. Abby is battlegrandpa. I think he's actually technically a great grandfather.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

You’re not making me look forward to this run - I went into it just because I missed Jae in my first game.

Mechanics question - bolter stats look underwhelming. Is that just because soldier archetypes will have the talent giving extra area damage from demolition to compensate?

Any other stats give bonuses to ranged damage other than Pasqual’s specific bonuses (and I guess willpower for psi)? Does int give the extra area damage for non soldier archetypes?

ulmont fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 2, 2024

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bolters may still be balanced to reflect the fact that the stock heavy bolter had like a 70 round drum magazine and it wasn't uncommon to have to reload before the first round was over.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ulmont posted:

Mechanics question - bolter stats look underwhelming. Is that just because soldier archetypes will have the talent giving extra area damage from demolition to compensate?

The stats on the gun don't bare much relation to the damage it does. Importantly they have good RoF so do tons

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, Pasqual's speech might take some getting used to, but once you do he's one of the best characters in the game, and his personal quest is one of my favourites in the game, especially once you reach the end and find out what exactly is going on. I certainly had that moment at the end of a movie where there's a montage of things that have happened before and everything falls into place, haha! If anything, I wish the other characters had as much, well, character as Pasqual (and maybe Yrliet) has. Heinrix in particular didn't really grab me, but then again I didn't do his romance so maybe that's what I'm missing out on.

EDIT: Ulfar needs more content too, especially since we pick him up so late. That said, I am pretty happy with what we did get, but I'm a sucker for the Wolves, so I'm guessing that's a me problem :v:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Aramoro posted:

The stats on the gun don't bare much relation to the damage it does. Importantly they have good RoF so do tons

Isn’t it like 3 or 4 only?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Abby and Pasqal are the best. Pasqal is by far the funniest character in the entire game if you pay any attention at all to him. Abby is battlegrandpa. I think he's actually technically a great grandfather.

It took way too long for me to realize Abby = Abelard since many, many 40k fans refer to Abbadon as Abby.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

pentyne posted:

This might be the worst so far.

Just got the same outcome myself. This game does know how to frustrate

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ulmont posted:

Isn’t it like 3 or 4 only?

If you can navigate the dizzy array of Talents and items correctly you'll be able to double that. So my Nun typically fires 8 shots from her bolter doing ~50 damage each first round of combat. Sometimes the RoF is 7 not 8 but I'm not sure why.

Make sure to take the talent that makes reloading free.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Act 4 does have a very "uh okay how does this game end" air
I could totally see it having been made a bunch later than everything else

I guess in their last two games Owlcat was working off an existing module instead of actually writing something totally fresh though

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Taear posted:

Act 4 does have a very "uh okay how does this game end" air
I could totally see it having been made a bunch later than everything else

I guess in their last two games Owlcat was working off an existing module instead of actually writing something totally fresh though

Wrath, maybe, but even as a published module Kingmaker was meant to be very open-ended, and I think the PC game suffered for it (along with Owlcat's own inexperience). Personally, I thought Acts 4 and 5 were fine main-plotwise, but they really needed more side content (Act 5 in particular).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CommissarMega posted:

Wrath, maybe, but even as a published module Kingmaker was meant to be very open-ended, and I think the PC game suffered for it (along with Owlcat's own inexperience). Personally, I thought Acts 4 and 5 were fine main-plotwise, but they really needed more side content (Act 5 in particular).

Kingmaker is open ended but they've got a framework at least. The module has end points and things you can tie in that they don't need to make up themselves. If you get me?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The game kind of does make you feel like you're really going against the grain of the universe by being a "good" guy and even the people you're helping treat you like an idiot. I'm sure it's still the most common way to play the game

EDIT: Idira regularly kills herself in the first turn and jesus christ, forget it. There's no trade off. I keep her in my party to spite myself

otoh she can also have her psy rating at 10 on the first turn and strengthen people for 40 str and toughness for free

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

It took way too long for me to realize Abby = Abelard since many, many 40k fans refer to Abbadon as Abby.

I call him AbbyDon when I'm particularly happy with him. Take out a chaos space marine in single combat in one round, with the killing blow being when the Space Marine tries to run. away. from. you. Congrats your AbbyDon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Aramoro posted:

If you can navigate the dizzy array of Talents and items correctly you'll be able to double that. So my Nun typically fires 8 shots from her bolter doing ~50 damage each first round of combat. Sometimes the RoF is 7 not 8 but I'm not sure why.

Ahh ok. Yeah I was wondering as a general weapon for most of my crew rather than specifically for Argenta.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ulmont posted:

Ahh ok. Yeah I was wondering as a general weapon for most of my crew rather than specifically for Argenta.

I think most folk have a weapon they're good with, so I'm not sure there's such a thing as a general weapon.

Jae is good with the Eldar weapons, Solider/Arch Militants are good with RoF weapons like Bolters, and obviously heavy weapons. Abe and Hinnie are setup for Melee etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Pasqal is like hands down the best companion.