Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
AITA for telling my wife (35) to stop sharing remodeling ideas with me

quote:

Today, I told my wife (35) to stop sharing remodeling ideas with me because it stresses me out. She loves looking at instagram and youtube videos of pretty looking homes and I do appreciate that she loves sharing them with me too. I don't particularly enjoy them, but I can appreciate good, clean looking designs and so have been enjoying them with her over the years.

The challenge is that she has some expectations that would be hiring contractors to make those designs a reality in our home, and we're in quite a bit of financial pressure after years of remodeling. We've been married 7 years and have been living in our current home for 4 years. Over the past 4 years, we have done a kitchen remodel ($10k), closet remodel ($10k), deck ($4k), reflooring ($3k). I love the remodels. They are beautiful, refreshing, and I love every moment I step into these areas. They replaced, functional, newish (<5 year old fittings), but I guess, less elegant finishings.

Then there is the property. We live in a smaller (1,300 sq ft) home right now, and got our uber low interest rates locked in during covid - so we're obviously lucky. She thought (and I agree) that our child will enjoy more room as they grow older, and we should get a larger home. Problem is that interest rates are high now, and we won't be able to afford it easily. We also decided that it was financially best to keep our existing home because of the low rates and rent it out, which makes it even more challenging to afford the new home.

Her parents have graciously offered to help with 10% of the home price for a downpayment, but even with that, I would need to empty out all our savings to buy a home that is a little dated (built in 2000s).

Now that we're closing on the home, she's obviously excited getting inspiration on instagram again. Problem is, now, with depleted savings and increased mortgage, and the uncertainty of being able to rent our current home, I am in no mood to discuss new remodels.

Financially, it's difficult for me to get her involved. We've been married and dating for almost 6 years, and she's generally found it difficult to hold down a job for more than 8 months. At the back of my mind is the thought that I have slogged my rear end off to pay for not one, but two homes, pricey remodels every year, and she should really give me a break. At the same time, seeing her upset at not being able to even share her dreams for the new home with me pains me terribly.

AITA?

Ignoring everything else, a 1300sqft home is too small for a couple with a newborn? So small they buy a second house and rent out the first one? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shanghaied posted:

lmao who was that bipolar goon who was gonna walk from California to Florida pushing a cart to raise awareness for bipolar disorder, and Texas goons were telling him "there're no sidewalks in Texas, you're gonna die" lol?

Muerte, a true goon hero in his failure :patriot:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember there being an old AITA where someone had people keep doing that to the plants she grew at her own house, and other people could not understand why it was a bad thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought it was kinda funny because we had a similar question back around Christmas, about clipping fir trees to make wreaths. It didn't get much discussion, but I'm against them. One leaf from a tree isn't really anything, but once you get bigger than that, just knock it off. It's property that somebody else puts work into, and the "teehee, nobody will mind, actually I'm doing a good thing" attitude runs me the wrong way. :arghfist:
Here's my POV as a gardener.

1. A tree/bush has a natural shape, or is pruned to have an elegant shape. If you cut off growing tips, you may change the direction that branch grows, permanently, unless you know what you're doing. This: "One time I saw Lily snap a branch, which shocked me. You really have to put a lot of effort into snapping off a branch; that seemed a bit extreme to me" is a significant change to the plant. I'm betting she tore the bark.

2. Cutting somebody else's plants is a great way to spread disease; it also opens up the plant's sap to insects. People who are serious about gardening wipe their shears with bleach every time they move from one plant to another.

3. It's not yours. That peony in the public garden is there for hundreds of people to see. If you take a cutting, you're making it less beautiful, and putting your own pleasure ahead of the pleasure of everybody else in the park.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shanghaied posted:

lmao who was that bipolar goon who was gonna walk from California to Florida pushing a cart to raise awareness for bipolar disorder, and Texas goons were telling him "there're no sidewalks in Texas, you're gonna die" lol?

That sounds like a plan a bipolar person in their manic phase would think up for sure

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Captain Hygiene posted:

This week: You be the judge: should my girlfriend stop snipping plants in the park?

quote:

Lily and I love going to gardens and parks, but she takes cuttings off any plant she fancies. When we’re out on a walk, I feel awkward when she leans over to take a clipping. If I saw someone else doing it, I would be quite shocked. I don’t want to be the kind of person who cuts things off plants in the park. I respect rules and I like to follow them. The only way to live all together in society is to follow the rules, but Lily is the opposite and makes up her own.

When we were walking through a local park recently, we got into an argument. I don’t even think you should be able to touch plants. There are signs like “Don’t sit on the grass” for a reason. Lily really wanted to take a clipping of rosemary from a bush and I told her not to. I said: “I’m sorry, but I don’t think we should cut any part of a public plant.” For me, it’s the principle. She said I was over the top: “It’s lovely to rebirth plants.” And she called me “mentally inflexible”.

That's a pretty big difference in personal values and attitude. But that's why we date before making things serious. OP should reflect on how he feels about this and whether he wants this relationship to be long term

quote:

We are having a baby in a month and have to decide how we are going to raise it.

Lmao :owned:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

muerte's death march

it was a ton of bad ideas but the most concerning was he was on prescription lithium and just planned to get 3 months at once and hope it didn't run out before he could get a refill.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

pentyne posted:

muerte's death march

it was a ton of bad ideas but the most concerning was he was on prescription lithium and just planned to get 3 months at once and hope it didn't run out before he could get a refill.

Thank you!

I'm also very happy about the way the whole saga ended - extremely funnily but without the harmless weirdo protagonist getting seriously hurt.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ignoring everything else, a 1300sqft home is too small for a couple with a newborn? So small they buy a second house and rent out the first one? What the gently caress?
This part made me laugh.

quote:

a home that is a little dated (built in 2000s).
my parents bought this house back in 2001 or something and it was built in... not sure, the 1980s? Maybe even earlier, and then the owners did a bit of a refresh on it before selling it?

Home ownership is expensive, and to be honest, there's no way around having to do various repairs/remodels, and yeah, that poo poo can be pricey. But hey, wife can't hold down a steady job and lives life based on instagram, time to have a baby!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yes, but they will need more space as the child grows. That means they have to buy the new house ASAP, rather than waiting until the kid is older and interest rates go down because???

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

maybe things are different in england or wherever the parks actually have gardeners and a limited supply of greenery and aren't just an undeveloped stretch of woods for people to dump bodies in but, lmao

Yes, most urban areas in the UK have areas of greenery that are managed by the local authority. They provide an important service in hosting local day drinking communities, elaborate child killing machines disguised as playgrounds and typically sport a fine crop of needles whenever the economy takes another turn for the worse.

They're already crap because they're held in common and the UK is basically a failed state, but most of my countrymen's' response to this will be, rightly, that Lily is making it worse.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

quote:

Woof I feel terrible I made it seem like she had an idle mind. She's far from it - between the need to take time of to care for our newborn, and how she's always looking to improve herself and learn new things, she's far from idle. Her inability to keep a job was in part due to her switching interests often, but mostly due to things beyond her control - like terrible management, having a child (which set her back way more than one might have initially thought).
basically it sounds like she needs a new hobby that doesn't cost $10k a year (or millions if she demands that they buy new houses lol)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Shanghaied posted:

Thank you!

I'm also very happy about the way the whole saga ended - extremely funnily but without the harmless weirdo protagonist getting seriously hurt.

Unlike that Goon that snuck into some country overseas. Somewhere in the Middle East, maybe?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Unlike that Goon that snuck into some country overseas. Somewhere in the Middle East, maybe?

Caro ended up fine after some time spent in a Syrian prison. We got him back and i'm sure the money from his lawsuit against Syria will come in any day now. :(

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Yeah no, Caro's story gets dark fast.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

Caro ended up fine after some time spent in a Syrian prison. We got him back and i'm sure the money from his lawsuit against Syria will come in any day now. :(

I think he already got the money, or some of it. It was paid out via a fund that collects proceeds from Syrian sanctions.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Shanghaied posted:

Yeah no, Caro's story gets dark fast.

Honestly I was just glad to hear he was alive after all that. Guy has some issues but no one deserves what he ended up going through.

pentyne posted:

I think he already got the money, or some of it. It was paid out via a fund that collects proceeds from Syrian sanctions.

This is good news, hopefully he's been spending it on psychologists.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Magic Hate Ball posted:

absolutely unhinged behavior. they spent $27,000 on remodeling their house just to turn around and completely empty their savings to move into a different one?! what the gently caress

her parents offering to just give them tens of thousands of dollars to enable this makes me wonder if she just has no concept of what poo poo costs

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

So I get the whole "the park is for everyone so be nice to the plants" thing, but that guy is a loving geek and I want to give him a wedgie. Like I don't even care that he's probably right, I hate his whole wanting to bootlick society thing. I bet he looks and acts like Carlton from Fresh Prince.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I followed Jorts on twitter for so long that I forgot there was a reddit tie-in way back when.

I just want to say that I wish I had known about this account sooner:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

aardwolf posted:

I just want to say that I wish I had known about this account sooner:

This is amazing :lol:

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Wasn't their some minor twitter drama because the person running that account gave a person poo poo for complaining about their instacart shopper and it turns out said complainer had a disability or something. Or was that someone else?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

metachronos posted:

Wasn't their some minor twitter drama because the person running that account gave a person poo poo for complaining about their instacart shopper and it turns out said complainer had a disability or something. Or was that someone else?

Ugh. Yeah, that was them. Disability discourse on Twitter is a nightmare zone. My 2c as a disabled person: the Jorts account runner was kind of a jerk about the whole thing, but not so much that it ruins my enjoyment of their content in general.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

metachronos posted:

You're in a coma and this is a message from your loved ones please wake up

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Farg posted:

You're in a coma and this is a message from your loved ones please wake up

fuuuck it's not working :negative:

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

mycelia posted:

Ugh. Yeah, that was them. Disability discourse on Twitter is a nightmare zone. My 2c as a disabled person: the Jorts account runner was kind of a jerk about the whole thing, but not so much that it ruins my enjoyment of their content in general.

Yeah I have spastic diplegia CP and I use instacart because hauling all that stuff into my apt is pain in the dick, and I still feel weirdly guilty about propagating gig economy bullshit so I just try to be polite, rate them 5 stars even if they gently caress up, and leave a fat tip.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I can't believe OP is passing up the deal of a lifetime like this!

AITAH for refusing to look after my parents when they get older

quote:

My parents have been very vocal their entire lives that their money is theirs to do with as they please, they will not help their children if they financially struggle, and if there is nothing left for us in the will when they pass, well, tough poo poo.

As they've gotten older they've started talking about what they want to happen if/when they start needing physical care as they age. They absolutely do not want to be looked after by strangers and would prefer one of us take care of them instead so they can stay in their own home. They've said that whichever one of us chooses to do this will get the lion's share of the will.

At the time they said this the offer was very tempting. My siblings make significantly more money than I do and it would give me the chance to be comfortable in my own old age. I have also worked as a CNA for over a decade and I'd be okay doing so in a way my siblings just wouldn't be (which is probably also why I'm the only one my parents actually mentioned this "deal" to).

And then I thought about it a little more and I'm not so convinced it would be worth it. I worry that I would end up providing 24/7 care for very little upfront pay for potentially years only to be told that I get most of nothing because my parents spent it all before they died. My parents aren't outrageously wealthy or anything.

They've since mentioned it again and I told them that because I have children I'll probably still have to work full time whenever they're at that point. They tried to hide it but they're obviously annoyed at me and kept trying to argue that financially I would be making a mistake but I'm just not sure I trust them really.
Our often-expressed goal is that we will spend all of our money on ourselves before we die and leave nothing to our children, and if you put your life on hold for several years to be our unpaid full-time in-house caretaker we will reward you with the lions share of that nothing that we will be leaving to you and your siblings!

FMguru fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 1, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

metachronos posted:

The person in question was posting about how they drove to the grocery store themselves to find and yell at their instacart shopper for taking too long

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

I can't believe OP is passing up the deal of a lifetime like this!

AITAH for refusing to look after my parents when they get older

Our often-expressed goal is that we will spend all of our money on ourselves before we die and leave nothing to our children, and if you put your life on hold for several years to be our unpaid full-time in-house caretaker we will reward you with the lions share of that nothing that we will be leaving to you and your siblings!

i think theoretically that's the sort of thing that could be negotiated: have the parents set up a trust, transfer (most of?) their assets into it, designate the caretaker child as beneficiary of the trust, designate a trustee to verify that the caretaker is executing their duties faithfully and to manage the trust so that there's something left for the caretaker, etc etc i'm sure there's steps i'm missing

that said, i'm sure the parents in this scenario would be dead-set against any such plan ("why don't you trust us? this is family we should be able to work it out without getting others involved" :qq:), and even if it worked i'm sure it would incur drama with the other siblings when suddenly one of them got more than the others

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

She never turned in a rental application so her coming in and getting a tour was the only time we ever interacted.

ngl giving someone a massive fake name and interacting with them long enough that they have to figure out how to address you sounds like fun if you like annoying people.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think theoretically that's the sort of thing that could be negotiated: have the parents set up a trust, transfer (most of?) their assets into it, designate the caretaker child as beneficiary of the trust, designate a trustee to verify that the caretaker is executing their duties faithfully and to manage the trust so that there's something left for the caretaker, etc etc i'm sure there's steps i'm missing

that said, i'm sure the parents in this scenario would be dead-set against any such plan ("why don't you trust us? this is family we should be able to work it out without getting others involved" :qq:), and even if it worked i'm sure it would incur drama with the other siblings when suddenly one of them got more than the others

The whole point of the arrangement is that they'd be paying her wildly less than another CNA, and conversely she'd be making a fraction of what she would be caring for some other selfish boomer she doesn't appear to have a particularly good relationship with. It's one thing if everyone involved has a really close bond and money is no object etc. etc. but then it wouldn't be getting submitted to the wisdom of Reddit

a lot of lovely old people just take for granted that a reverse-mortgaged mcmansion an hour from Peoria and 18 years of memories of resentful pseudo-parenting is an irresistible enticement for any prospective caretaker and when the time comes they've left nothing else to bargain with

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

metachronos posted:

Yeah I have spastic diplegia CP and I use instacart because hauling all that stuff into my apt is pain in the dick, and I still feel weirdly guilty about propagating gig economy bullshit so I just try to be polite, rate them 5 stars even if they gently caress up, and leave a fat tip.

I was There for that drama and (IIRC) it was about a woman who went to the store where her Instacart shopper was and saw them standing in the aisle marking everything as unavailable despite it very clearly being on the shelves. I think that’s where Jorts’ account runner said she should stop using Instacart

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The person in question was posting about how they drove to the grocery store themselves to find and yell at their instacart shopper for taking too long

Not quite.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 2, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's an excellent chance that at least one of OP's parents winds up needing specialized nursing or even "memory care" (aka dementia) institutions. There comes a point where a single person flat-out cannot care for a severely mentally or physically disabled person, CNA or not. And at that point the theoretical inheritance -- if they're even managing their finances well enough to have one -- disappears into health-care costs.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Another small update from the guy whose fiancee who unilaterally declared a six-week "break" while walking into the airport for a six-week European vacation. tl;dr - she called in her parents as flying monkeys, OP still isn't having it

Am I wrong for canceling our wedding?'

quote:

Spoke with her parents last night. Woke me up they must have forgotten about the time difference between coasts. They offered to pay for couples therapy to help us work through this rough patch as her mother called it. Told them no thank you. She ended our relationship.

She told them a watered-down version where I am overreacting. I told them exactly what happened.

She made it out that while on vacation, she would be unavailable to communicate with. Where I told them exactly what was said.

Her mom is all on this misunderstanding that can be easily fixed. He dad hopes we can sort this out.
Fiancee is all-in on trying un-burn the bridge that was her relationship.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Part of me is morbidly curious as to exactly how many dudes she sees as an acceptable number to gently caress on her tour of Europe. And would her flying monkeys still be on her side after finding out.
E: if she struck out entirely that would also be hilarious

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mycelia posted:

My favorite is when perfectly able-bodied people try to use disabled people as a cudgel against ever doing literally anything to make it easier for people to get around without needing a car to do so

Oddly enough, they never seem to acknowledge the existence of people whose disabilities makes it difficult, expensive, or impossible to drive :thunk:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

What I don't get about the "on a break" homegirl is like... ok, she could have just not given him a heads up she was about to mega-cheat on him, and went around europe for six weeks having a grand old time. But part of her plan seemed to have been the blocking his rear end that whole time? I guess so he couldn't argue with her and she could present him with some bullshit justifications when she came back? But If I was in a relationship where I was ready to marry someone and they flat out said "hey we're just not gonna talk for the next 1.5 months" then I would also take that as a break-up cue.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Kurieg posted:

if she struck out entirely that would also be hilarious

I'm guessing it was this-- she went there hoping to be swept away by a handsome and rich man, got nothing but the type of gross dudes that are all over waiting for stupid tourist women, then decided she'd settle for the guy at home.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
From every angle the entire euro trip break seems like a test, either her deciding to test the waters or testing him to see if he would cheat, or even seeing if he'd chase her into the airport for some grand romantic proclamation of love.

Just the absolute dumbest 90s Cosmo dating advice school of thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's an excellent chance that at least one of OP's parents winds up needing specialized nursing or even "memory care" (aka dementia) institutions. There comes a point where a single person flat-out cannot care for a severely mentally or physically disabled person, CNA or not. And at that point the theoretical inheritance -- if they're even managing their finances well enough to have one -- disappears into health-care costs.

When my mother suddenly went into decline her medical plan sent social workers and nurses to check on her but getting her into any type of facility would be a years-long wait unless you were willing to pay a fortune which Mom didn't have. The State can assist given enough notice but you have to be pretty much penniless but you are allowed to have a home. It was made clear to us that if we went that route the house would be gone to pay the State back. We ended up hiring 24/7 nurses at the end since even with several adults trying to help take care of Mom it still wasn't enough. Mom wanted to die at home so the money we spent was well worth it for her and us as your sanity starts going down the drain watching a loved one deteriorate.