Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Class3KillStorm posted:

I'm semi-surprised that Criterion hasn't put the original, maybe also with "King of the Monsters" as a special feature, out on a 4K disc as it slowly goes back in and remasters some of its library; I would have figured after the buzz around "Minus One" that it would have been a no-brainer to do that. They still could, but they haven't announced anything yet and I have no idea if they will even try, considering what people were saying about the issues with the box set that they put together.

My guess/understanding is that anything Criterion would want to do in terms of distributing additional Godzilla films, or upgrading the ones they have, would have to be cleared by Toho first. There are some indications that Toho isn't quite as deranged as they used to be in terms of brand management, but they still continue to be an absolute black box in terms of physical media releases. Wouldn't surprise me if they're continuing to insist on weird onerous conditions that dissuade Criterion and/or similar boutique labels from going through the trouble of doing anything further with the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Again, I ask, which group's buzz? I say this because I thought Monarch was an absolute turd, a shaggy dog tale layered with prestige nonsense and tiny dashes of Godzilla: yet it got eyeballs, critical praise, and a decent audience score. Meanwhile me and everybody I know thought it was dogshit.
Monarch: The Television Show is tolerable to have on in the background while I play with my phone. My spouse likes it for some reason. I don't know why everything Godzilla related has to have "lovely absent father" as a major theme.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Monarch: The Television Show is tolerable to have on in the background while I play with my phone. My spouse likes it for some reason. I don't know why everything Godzilla related has to have "lovely absent father" as a major theme.
They’re just paying homage to All Monsters Attack.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Halloween Jack posted:

It's because 2014 had Bryan Cranston reincarnate as Godzilla and take on a patriarchal role over humanity. People always complain that they killed off Bryan Cranston too early whilst skipping over the fact he's in the rest of the film just as the titular character now. In his final scene he even looks directly at Ford and they reconnect, reaffirming a bond that had been broken for a long time.

King of the Monsters kind of understands this but fumbles it own twist on it by not adequately conflating Emma's sacrifice with Mothra's, as both matriarchs decide to save their families by becoming something more than a single parental unit. Emma by broadcasting the Titan signal and Mothra by becoming a spirit power-up.

Subsequent creators have kind of understood this (Kong is a father figure to Jia, the role of parents in Monach) but they haven't grasped that you need to take it to an operatic level for it to really work.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

It's because 2014 had Bryan Cranston reincarnate as Godzilla and take on a patriarchal role over humanity. People always complain that they killed off Bryan Cranston too early whilst skipping over the fact he's in the rest of the film just as the titular character now. In his final scene he even looks directly at Ford and they reconnect, reaffirming a bond that had been broken for a long time.

King of the Monsters kind of understands this but fumbles it own twist on it by not adequately conflating Emma's sacrifice with Mothra's, as both matriarchs decide to save their families by becoming something more than a single parental unit. Emma by broadcasting the Titan signal and Mothra by becoming a spirit power-up.

Subsequent creators have kind of understood this (Kong is a father figure to Jia, the role of parents in Monach) but they haven't grasped that you need to take it to an operatic level for it to really work.

I think we just need to hire screenwriters who don't have parent issues

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PriorMarcus posted:

Right, but why did Godzilla (2014) have to have "lovely absent father" as a major theme?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Asterite34 posted:

I think we just need to hire screenwriters who don't have parent issues

I don’t have too many parent issues but I find parent issues work on me for some reason.

I also think it’s very much a Spielberg send up. Godzilla 2014 is very much in that vein

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"Ford Brody" is still my pick for worst character name of all time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Charlie Mortdecai is mine

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Right, but why did Godzilla (2014) have to have "lovely absent father" as a major theme?

Because the protagonist's goal was getting back home to his family and having his dad be lovely gave that more emotional stakes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm Ford Brody and these are my associates Cadillac Melanchol and Volkswagen Angst.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

It’s often taken for granted, but neither we nor the characters in a given film have an automatic psychic investment in the large dino-lizard. You have to set the groundwork for why the dude isn’t just like “huh, that’s weird” and continuing with his day.

In this case, the protagonist accidentally uncovers the circumstances around his mother’s death and learns that his father was absent for a reason - literally trying to prevent billions of deaths. It’s an examination of the standard “boo hoo, you missed my piano recital” narrative.

This is true of basically every movie, to varying degrees of success. Godzilla Vs. Gigan’s cartoonist guy designs monsters based on his personal anxieties, which attracts the bad aliens for some reason(???).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i gotta figure out a way to buy this

hes a little freaking gremlin and i love it

Here you go.

There is also a limited deluxe version biting a train

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Halloween Jack posted:

i'm gonna go against the grain here and say you're being taken for a ride, and that on it own "man being traumatized by the death of his wife due to kaiju" is not inherently bad characterization

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bring Stabity

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s as valid a theme as any. Like a movie’s gotta be about something.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Desolation Williams

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1763202556107563273?t=cn8t07MEQzwcHDpx7gR9fA&s=19

Forgot about this, but guess I'll have soemtbing to watch in June

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Desolation Williams

Nicknames are cheating.

I'd also say that it's not that terrible, even if the film it's from is that bad. It sounds like it belongs on a bounty board, at least. You can also remember it.

Ford Brody is a bad name because it's generic and has an awkward rhythm. I don't think it's the worst, but I can see the argument.

My vote goes to Jordy Volder. It has an even worse rhythm than Ford Brody, it's made up of nonsense words, and it's next to impossible to remember for reference.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chiasaur11 posted:

Nicknames are cheating.

I'd also say that it's not that terrible, even if the film it's from is that bad. It sounds like it belongs on a bounty board, at least. You can also remember it.

Ford Brody is a bad name because it's generic and has an awkward rhythm. I don't think it's the worst, but I can see the argument.

My vote goes to Jordy Volder. It has an even worse rhythm than Ford Brody, it's made up of nonsense words, and it's next to impossible to remember for reference.

I'm going with Hiro Protagonist

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

imo its the protagonist from tenet. it was very smug to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Desolation Williams

this one rules, though

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Nomi Malone tops every category.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1763454688286933167?t=X3Yw9ZW5hqsj5kMW-Vu1Bg&s=19

This makes it look a lot better than the other toys shown so far.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeafNote posted:

Nomi Malone tops every category.

this one also rules

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Zore posted:

I'm going with Hiro Protagonist

The discussion at hand is WORST names, not BEST ones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

The discussion at hand is WORST names, not BEST ones.

Don Boyage

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/kaijunewsoutlet/status/1763612154551226693?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

God drat it they got me. Kong riding Godzilla into battle

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 1, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Class3KillStorm posted:

I'm semi-surprised that Criterion hasn't put the original, maybe also with "King of the Monsters" as a special feature, out on a 4K disc as it slowly goes back in and remasters some of its library; I would have figured after the buzz around "Minus One" that it would have been a no-brainer to do that. They still could, but they haven't announced anything yet and I have no idea if they will even try, considering what people were saying about the issues with the box set that they put together.

Apparently Criterion's experience working with Toho while doing the Showa films set was so awful they're unlikely to work with them ever again

Gripweed posted:

Bring Stabity

Gundam names are cheating

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moving past terrible names for a moment, I finally saw Godzilla Vs. Mothra from the 90s. And while I still don't know why it was that big a success in Japan, I thought it was pretty alright.

The plot starts by ripping off Indiana Jones hard, which is definitely a "If you're going to steal, steal from the best" moment, followed by a solid bit establishing the interpersonal dynamics the film's going to center around. The hero was a lovely husband, he and his wife broke up, now he's not providing well for their daughter, probably because adventure archaeology keeps getting him tossed in prison when he tries to get the money to pay child support. Then they go on a quick comedic adventure, get the Mothra egg, and we're off to the races.

One thing that stood out to me was that the film always had some kaiju action going on. About a fifth of the film is just monsters fighting and destroying cities already, but even when it isn't, people are reacting to the giant monsters, worrying about the giant monsters, or taking action to shift the balance of giant monster attacks away from destroying humanity. The 90s ecological talk is even directly embodied by Battra, so it's not "Earth may suffer" but "Earth's suffering will make a giant murder moth kill us all, and it's right over there, so we really need to do something now, because so far shooting it has just pissed it off more."

There's even a solid resolution to the human plot, with the relationship between the humans paralleling Mothra and Battra's reconciliation, and the humans getting the fairies to Mothra to ensure that she'll stop attacking humans and be able to focus on Godzilla.

Godzilla's role in the film is a bit thin, of course. He's just a generic threat, not a character, but he's still a solid threat, with plenty of cool shots and a good amount of screentime.

I was worried this'd be painful, but no. Pretty decent bit of goofiness that moved at an acceptable clip. I know Space Godzilla is supposed to be the real turd in the punchbowl for Heisei, so I'll see that when I see it, but at the halfway mark, it feels like Heisei embracing its stupid side has been a real improvement.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love the Heisei movies, agree on Space (that's the only one I don't dig). I even rewatched the Heisei movies with some friends in the past year or so, for me I liked the ones I ranked a little lower like Ghidorah and Mothra much higher than before. Just a great vibe, solid fun stuff. Some of my fav stuff. MechaGodzilla is one of my top favs, and that's quasi more serious. I think there's a nice balance of the majestic and love for Godzilla and the sci-fi monster movie fun and all that in that run.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

drrockso20 posted:

Gundam names are cheating

Kamille’s a man’s name… AND I’M A MAN

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Do people not like Spacegodzilla? The last 20 minutes are a drat monster wrestling match in a crystal cage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Do people not like Spacegodzilla? The last 20 minutes are a drat monster wrestling match in a crystal cage.

they don't really wrestle though they just kinda shoot beams at each other and/or float around listlessly

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vs SpaceGodzilla is basically a really bad Dragonball Z episode but with Godzilla in it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Most of us do agree that Space Godzilla's design and suit own though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Most of us do agree that Space Godzilla's design and suit own though

oh yeah, great monster

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I prefer SpaceGodzilla to Mothra- they both have some flaws in story and pacing but I feel the latter is way more slack, way too much of the weak Indiana Jones parody stuff. SG has a cool aesthetic too, not as neat as Biollante's but there are some cool shots. Not that any of the Heisei films are really bad, though, they were pretty consistent.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just watched a 1988 Richard Lewis special (RIP), and he name-dropped Rodan. Further confirmation Richard Lewis was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Clearly what Godzilla VS Mothra needed was two evil twins to summon Battra.