Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Freaquency posted:

I don’t think that’s supposed to go there

Superior cooling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Superior cooling

And easy access for maintenance. Pops up when done like a piece of toast.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This isn't cute or heartwarming. Engine cylinders only do this when they're very distressed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is a pretty embarrassing oopsie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSbBkJcd7Ag

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is a pretty embarrassing oopsie:

https://www.wsj.com/business/airlin...share_permalink

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The art of the deal, folks.

You love to see it, many people are saying.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yes, the company known for its terrible quality control should be able to fix the other company with terrible quality control.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

Yes, the company known for its terrible quality control should be able to fix the other company with terrible quality control.

What’s funnier is that Spirit is currently valued at $3.3 billion. Boeing sold it to Onex corp in 2005 for $1.5 billion or roughly $2.37billion with inflation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They call this the “Inverse Tumblr”.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Arson Daily posted:

"if we have terrible QC in only one place we can save on the redundant QC staff in having them in two places!!!" -- some exec, probably

god just pay off alaska and shut the gently caress up boeing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Spirit Aerosystems' stock has doubled since september, this just going to cement every company that is a single supplier of something to adopt the "gently caress this up until our clients are forced to buy us out" business model

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Who was the Boeing exec who championed the 787 model of "outsource everything, limit our liability" that led to this cluster gently caress

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

shame on an IGA posted:

Spirit Aerosystems' stock has doubled since september, this just going to cement every company that is a single supplier of something to adopt the "gently caress this up until our clients are forced to buy us out" business model

The best part is all the companies who have moved to sole-source to cut the costs of dealing with multiple suppliers.

AB Inbev did an ad featuring one of their two suppliers for the beechwood chips they dump i to barrels to add an illusion of flavor to Budweiser. A couple months later they cut that supplier out entirely because the other was a few pennies cheaper.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Hadlock posted:

Who was the Boeing exec who championed the 787 model of "outsource everything, limit our liability" that led to this cluster gently caress

it was me, sorry not sorry

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Hadlock posted:

lmao that red text

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It is art

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Does that mean it's done cooking?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

just started

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what are we looking at here. did the engine went boom and the cylinder went zoom?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cactus Ghost posted:

what are we looking at here. did the engine went boom and the cylinder went zoom?

Correct. That’s an 18 cylinder radial, and you generally prefer to keep all 18 bolted to the crankcase and inside the cowling.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Advent Horizon posted:

The best part is all the companies who have moved to sole-source to cut the costs of dealing with multiple suppliers.

AB Inbev did an ad featuring one of their two suppliers for the beechwood chips they dump i to barrels to add an illusion of flavor to Budweiser. A couple months later they cut that supplier out entirely because the other was a few pennies cheaper.
Corporate exec brain worms.

Some chucklefuck gets into a position and starts making changes for the sake of making changes in effort to be noticed and climb the corporate ladder. I see the results of crazy, unbelievably short sighted decisions like that every single day.

And the worst part is that the always cost way more money than they supposedly save but spin everything as a positive due to said changes.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

nobody cares what itll cost 5-10 years from now they only care that theyll get a big bonus next quarter!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TOWER's b'more accent was unexpected, I assumed all ATCs had their natural way of speaking beaten out of them

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

slidebite posted:

Corporate exec brain worms.

Some chucklefuck gets into a position and starts making changes for the sake of making changes in effort to be noticed and climb the corporate ladder. I see the results of crazy, unbelievably short sighted decisions like that every single day.

And the worst part is that the always cost way more money than they supposedly save but spin everything as a positive due to said changes.

The company I work for got poisoned with a group of these dipshits from another aerospace company. They came in on the back of massively cutting costs* while increasing production*. And they almost tanked our entire company because their only idea of leadership is flailing around implementing bizarre and stupid policies to try to pad their resumes. They almost all got purged last year, and it's been really refreshing returning to a normal level of executive dipshittery.

*cut quality so much that customers were returning entire lots of their product.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

TOWER's b'more accent was unexpected, I assumed all ATCs had their natural way of speaking beaten out of them

Not in the northeast!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CarForumPoster posted:

Nah, flying around Appalachia can be pretty awesome.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Nah, flying around Appalachia can be pretty awesome.

Now I want someone to do a Boomhauer ATC impression.

"americanheavy384turnrightonthatdangol'headin'191flightlevel30andgimmeyourbestpossiblespeedI'lltellyawhut"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The VC-10 was a pretty cool jetliner. RIP the British aircraft industry, killed by the 1960s.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

How the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird Works by Animagraffs dropped yesterday. It's got some awesome thorough detail.
https://youtu.be/gkyVZxtsubM?si=2mhLipCzNFtH0iM3

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/6b5ck0V.mp4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Phone posting so tough for me to make out, but was it offroading?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was sliding on pavement.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Forgot to turn the knob back to "DEAD AHEAD CAP'N!"?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gonna miss happy hour! get to the gate!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

NTSB preliminary report indicates a human error incident. Pilot forgot to switch EUROBEAT to auto-off.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Platystemon posted:

It was sliding on pavement.

Pratt and Whitney just kicked in, yo

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You can drift a car, and you can drift a train, but watch me drift this fuckin' airplane.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The VC-10 was a pretty cool jetliner. RIP the British aircraft industry, killed by the 1960s.

How about the double-deck VC10 'Superb' that BAC proposed as a way to get the cost/seat down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
oh my god that thing is so pretty