Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

"Confimistic"??? I had surgery earlier today and I'm on some good drugs right now so I'm stupider than usual, but what the gently caress is this even supposed to mean? At least I can make sense of Crankshaft's aphasic malapropisms.They're not funny, but they're understandable. This is just goddamn nonsense.

it's a portmanteau of confident and optimistic

it's also terrible, but that's expected from crankshaft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

someone awful. posted:

what

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Comic genius Tom Batiuk will occasionally have the hateful old man(the other one, the bus driver) smash words together or incorrectly substitute a similar word for another. However as a master of his craft he isn't bothered by tying it to jokes or dialogue or anything, he just lets it stand on its own!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

someone awful. posted:

:tipshat: Thanks!

Yeah, you're right. That is just terrible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Hahah
Fuckin wicked.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The only indication I can find in any of the book's foreward or back matter is mentioning that it's dropped after Spring 1985 to allow other student artists to have space in the paper. There's also some mention that Jeff dropped out of school, though it's not really clear if those were related. There's no specific mention of editorial having any issues with what he was doing.

That’s really interesting—Ohio State and the Ireland Museum at Ohio State sometimes claim him as an Ohio State graduate, although they also say he took five years, so I don’t know if he went back or something.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:siren: I've updated the Comics Kingdom comics-fetching scripts to work with their new site redesign! :siren:

General notes:
  • Those of you already using this script, just update to this version and put your own list of comics back in, and you should be good to go. New people wanting to start using this lovely little labor-saver, hit me up and I'll help you get going.
  • This is 99% the same thing as before, I just had to update how it finds things like the comic name and the URL of the image in the big unbroken soup of HTML.
  • It will get the biggest version of the image available. Note that for "square" aspect ratio comics like Bizarro or Family Circus, that'll be freaking enormous. You may want to timg it, or manually do the trick where you put a lowercase L at the end of the filename to automatically scale it down: compare https://i.imgur.com/I1XZ9nN.jpg and https://i.imgur.com/I1XZ9nNl.jpg (with the lowercase L). The script does not do this automatically.
  • The Mac/Linux/WSL version still requires the imgur.sh script to do the Imgur upload step. One of these years I'll get around to eliminating that dependency.
  • I had to put the scripts on Pastebin instead of inline in this post since anything that looks too much like source code is apparently assumed by the forums to be an exploit. :buddy:

Mac / Linux / WSL: https://pastebin.com/qawsv4m5
Windows (PowerShell): https://pastebin.com/avwvrBtR

Sample output from a test run on each platform:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Doomykins posted:

Comic genius Tom Batiuk will occasionally have the hateful old man(the other one, the bus driver) smash words together or incorrectly substitute a similar word for another. However as a master of his craft he isn't bothered by tying it to jokes or dialogue or anything, he just lets it stand on its own!

That strip is also annoyingly smug because newspapers haven't even cut off his lovely-rear end comic out of circulation, while better strips are the ones that got hit. So it comes across less as a commentary on the state of newspaper strips, and more blowing hot air about how cool and special Batiuk is for still making comics.

It's a long shot, but it'd be interesting if Gil dated that coach who hated the hell out of him, add some spice between them now that the one-sided rivalry's over.

JethroMcB posted:

Rose is Rose

And here we go with this malarkey again. It certainly took long enough for her to start pretending she's a badass for doing basic poo poo.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/16-18/52

Chicago was the site of the 1952 Republican convention.

Archie 9/19-21/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 3/10-12/77

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Selachian posted:

Archie 9/19-21/49

Delicious, delicious carbon tet :yum:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Phone?! Ed Kudlick doesn't need Some Gizmo to be entertained, unlike kids these days....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s really interesting—Ohio State and the Ireland Museum at Ohio State sometimes claim him as an Ohio State graduate, although they also say he took five years, so I don’t know if he went back or something.

Yeah no clue. In the interview with him in the book, the interviewer mentions he "finished writing Thorn and stopped attending OSU" then Jeff's response is that his now-wife had graduated, and then a following esasy by his longtime friend (literally from childhood) Jim Kammerud says "neither of us graduated." So maybe he went back, but he definitely left at one point.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (April 16-18, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (April 14, 1925)

Toonerville Folks, in which Mr. Fox wishes you a safe and sane Fourth. (July 3-5, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Duck (February 13, 1915; spoilers for the Usual Reasons)

Little Lefty (November 20-21, 1939; no strip for the 22nd)

Olive & Popeye

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

IT'S MARCH BABEY TIME FOR A NEW GENERATION TO GET TO FUCKIN'!!!!!!!!!

yeah alright you've earned your chuckle today.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

october is when you PLANT winter wheat, its called that because it grows through winter! and besides this doesnt change that youll have to wait for it to grow anyway!! this is just a straightforwardly dry factual narrative with no joke!!!

gently caress me running as mad as i am about this its making me realise holbrook would be better behind mark trail than rivera

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

MockingQuantum posted:

It's especially ironic given that (I'm pretty sure) Jim Keefe is from somewhere in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, and that Sally Forth is nominally set somewhere around here too. The high was 63 degrees on Monday this week, there's some real cognitive dissonance for me in these recent strips
I believe it's more set in the NY area where Ces is from. Still, it's been warm there too I think.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Andertoons didn't update.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

It's uncanny how many times Jules will write a story in which it is taken for granted that the villains are actually doing anything evil.

"So these land developers are trying to clear wildlife from a build site but they're not quite as humane as I'd like. Also the BLM is trying to control the wild horse population."

Oh... no?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (March 4, 1977)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 2, 2024

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

... he's gonna have a heart attack or something in his chair after she goes to bed, isn't he?

Either that, or she's going to have a fall or something while she's getting ready for bed.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Legit kind of annoyed that there's not going to be a weird supernatural twist for once.

Big Nate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

... he's gonna have a heart attack or something in his chair after she goes to bed, isn't he?

Either that, or she's going to have a fall or something while she's getting ready for bed.

he’s going to try to do something himself without bothering Tilly and break the other leg

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Only the finest non-stop action in Rex Morgan MD

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he’s going to try to do something himself without bothering Tilly and break the other leg

:hmmyes: This is also a plausible outcome.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Legend of Bill is clearly the strip he's putting effort into (not that it's working, but still, effort) and so Intelligent Life is even more autopilot than it was originally.
Here's the thing though; He isn't. The original run of Legend of Bill started in 2008. We are reading it newly colorized (not by Reddick) on a 14 year delay. There is no new effort being put in there. Intelligent Life has no excuse.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This is not an old lady face! This is a young lady face with lines on it!!

The Rex Morgan artist has trouble with ages. Even the kids in this strip have fucken weird adult mugs.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
of all the poo poo to hate in Hellworld, I hate how Rudy always has his loving sunglasses on. Always. I bet he was born with them, and his kid will be born with a pair too.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
His kid will have Kamina shades.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 30, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Microwaves come with instruction manuals, Arlo. Read it.
Most appliances and electronics these days do, in fact. You should probably keep them instead of using them for grill starter paper.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 2, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm glad there are some folk enjoying Blueberry who didn't catch it first time 'round

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Cranky McShafterbean

Y'know, when Jeff Smith appeared in his own strip, he at least went drinking and coke-hoovering.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Tom Batiuk must be pretty lonely, huh.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

So the Finnish linguistic joke here is that grammatically "we have successfully taken a photo of a black hole" and "we have successfully gotten a photo out of a black hole" are the same due to our old friend, the elative case. It answers the question "from what/of what".

If you wanted to be proper, you wouldn't say "olemme saaneet kuvan mustasta aukosta" (we have received/taken a photo of/from a black hole", you would say "olemme valokuvanneet mustan aukon", "we have photographed a black hole".

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

"A built-in radiothermal generator, that is. But don't worry, I'll just use my secret DNA powers to cure any cancer you get."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

A fresh joke.

Mandrake The Magician

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 2, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

Dustin

A fresh joke.

In a way you have to respect a guy who's doing in 2024 jokes that would have been regarded as groan-worthy clichéd poo poo by 1950s Catskills circuit comedians.

In another way all those of us who bothered getting educations are suckers because we could clearly just be cranking out "women be shopping" and "help my no good son is a lazy bastard who doesn't measure up to me, a middle-aged white lawyer" poo poo by the pound.

E: no I can't let it go, this is so loving stupid. It's not a hard concept to understand! When you buy pants that look worn but are new, you get pants with the look of old worn pants but without the negative side effects of having to wear down pants to that point, ie. they will last you longer. I'm not a fashion person and even I understand this, Batiuk!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 2, 2024

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(2/28/1994)

(3/1/1994)

Ziggy

(9/23/1971)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Howard Beale posted:

Y'know, when Jeff Smith appeared in his own strip, he at least went drinking and coke-hoovering.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Tom Batiuk must be pretty lonely, huh.

Mmmm, Could Be...

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (March 5, 1977)

Rip Haywire: Ka-Hold The Phone, Are We Already Wrapping Up?

Li'l Abner (December 26-28, 1935)

Thimble Theater (October 5, 1940)

Out Our Way (February 21-23, 1944)