Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I appreciate that apart from the main characters it seems like a huge chunk of the character modeling budget has gone to the wrinkled old guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lakbay posted:

I think I've narrowed my combat problems to forgetting to block/dodge/move out of the way and when to use the R1 synergies

This is my whole problem right now. There's so much going on it's incredibly easy to forget to dodge and block. And when I do the enemy decides not to attack for 30 seconds.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The part in the Queen's Blood tournament on the cruise ship where Red XIII puts on a Shinra guard uniform, stands on his hind legs and moonwalks made me burst out laughing :psyboom:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Try and make a habit of saving every half hour or so.

Just had a crash, after hearing others having the same issue. Got real lucky that my last save was only 5-10 mins back, because if it had happened yesterday or the day before, I could have lost up to 7 hours of progress.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I noticed the armor bangles are a choice between more physical or more magical defense given the same grade. I'm guessing I should prioritize magic defense since magic tends to hit harder in this game?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

it's a bit of a mess in UX terms but if you press triangle u can edit your party, and i think it's on that screen where you chose from the party presets

from earlier today, but has anyone beeing running into issues when using L1/R1 to swap between the party presets? they always seem to give me an entirely different set of parties than i have set up in the menu (i.e. i get Cloud/Barret/Tifa which isn't one of my presets), but when i go to the menu everything's configured like i expect and the party changes normally

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the queensblood/yugioh comparisons were perhaps a little more appropriate than i first thought

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Barret and Tifa make a pretty drat good team

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I had sort of gotten the impression that these lifesprings were collecting a bunch of delicious lore for me that I would eventually get around to reading, but if so, I forget where I put it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the queensblood/yugioh comparisons were perhaps a little more appropriate than i first thought

(Early spoilers for QB stuff, but not sure how far you are.)
I admit I basically marked out when I beat the first 'champion and it went full loving Inscryption on me.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah that poo poo was cool. This game has had like 10 surprising, delightful sequences out of nowhere that are original and not lifted from the original game, and I'm only at under-Junon.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

Barret and Tifa make a pretty drat good team

i'm not hating! it just isn't in the rotation right now

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I had sort of gotten the impression that these lifesprings were collecting a bunch of delicious lore for me that I would eventually get around to reading, but if so, I forget where I put it.

The map button has different menus via l1/r1

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Playing through Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and my god...this might possibly be the greatest game of all time

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This game is going to take me forever to get through. I'm still faffing about in the Grasslands doing busy work.

And I'm guessing it might be part of a sidequest where you're helping townspeople, but there's two women in Kalm that are just endlessly slapping each other in the face...

Barret's still the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

This game is going to take me forever to get through. I'm still faffing about in the Grasslands doing busy work.

And I'm guessing it might be part of a sidequest where you're helping townspeople, but there's two women in Kalm that are just endlessly slapping each other in the face...

Barret's still the best.

Nah, that's a reference to the original game. In the original game Tifa and Scarlet get into a frankly bizarre slap fight, which I assume in part 3 is going to be replaced by Tifa fighting like Scarlet in power armor or something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Absolutely adoring the game. Loving every second. My only issue is that running around is weirdly janky. It felt great, albeit a bit stiff, in Remake but these rough terrains doesn't quite fit their movement model. There's a disconnect in the animation with there not being any real transitions and the little hills really kills momentum for a moment. You adjust to it quickly but it never stops feeling a bit janky.

Aside from that I'm really liking all the changes and, following the tradition of Remake, everything has a lot of thought and care into it. I'm looking forward to getting the soundtrack.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I feel like I missed something: I can no longer enter Kalm, but I never actually managed to find the Queen's Blood games to play before I had to, uh, leave town. When will I get to go back?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just discovered (Chapter 4 Minigame) Fort Condor, which I liked in the OG but sucked at and it's the same here except there's hero units now, I was so happy when I found it though I shouldn't be surprised they remade one of the original minigames in Rebirth Shame it isn't the world spanning board/card game instead of Queen's Blood, I would've played it and they coulda just ripped off elements from the Clash Royale mobile game to give it a collectible element

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:hmbol: at this peak Yu-Gi-Oh poo poo going on

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished chapter four and i need to have a lie down

BOYS! GIMME ONE WITH A BEAT!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lines posted:

I feel like I missed something: I can no longer enter Kalm, but I never actually managed to find the Queen's Blood games to play before I had to, uh, leave town. When will I get to go back?

You'll be able to go back pretty soon. Just follow the plot for a short while and you'll go back.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The tracking on attacks, especially on bosses, is a bit much

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(ch4 upper junon) lmao that rufus is immediately notified when the party sneaks up but just decides to let it go. if that was in the original i definitely forgot it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol I've been playing 10 hours and I'm still in chapter 2

Not normally this much of a completionist but for some reason I felt compelled to complete the grasslands world intel before moving on.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, that's a reference to the original game. In the original game Tifa and Scarlet get into a frankly bizarre slap fight, which I assume in part 3 is going to be replaced by Tifa fighting like Scarlet in power armor or something.

Seriously? I know about that in the OG, just seems a bizarre place to drop a callback. It did cross my mind, but honestly, I figured it was going to be a quest for that rando standing around with the big bouquet or something. Like 'find out why his girlfriend hasn't showed up.'

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve been playing for hours, and only just now met up with GOAT King Chadley…. This game is huge

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Just got through Junon
lmao at having the entire battalion following Cloud around
Roche ftmfw
Midgar Division 7 are the most loyal motherfuckers on the planet goddamn they just roll with the punches, anything for their captain
"the biker jackass...is a jackass" lol
RIP Red XIII's soldier disguise :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
would anyone happen to have a quick summary of what goes down in Ever Crisis, because i doubt i can look it up myself without running into a wall of spoilers

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

"No MAI/Chadley" mtx square please

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

would anyone happen to have a quick summary of what goes down in Ever Crisis, because i doubt i can look it up myself without running into a wall of spoilers

From what I understand the references in Rebirth are to upcoming content. Pretty much all that has happened in terms of original plot is that Glenn is an early SOLDIER variation and works alongside a young Sephiroth, where he basically becomes Sephiroth's earliest friend. He's a more affable and good-natured guy compared to how he appears in Rebirth so he's destined for a fall.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's annoying how enemy attacks have ranges significantly outside of their animations. Like I'll dodge out of the way of an attack and it'll still count as hitting me from like 10 feet away. This also makes melee characters feel risky to me, since it's easy to miss enemy attacks animations amidst all the particle effects (had this issue in FF16 sometimes also).

Otherwise I'm more or less getting the hang of things. I mainly have trouble against multiple enemies where I can't keep an eye on everyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

It's annoying how enemy attacks have ranges significantly outside of their animations. Like I'll dodge out of the way of an attack and it'll still count as hitting me from like 10 feet away. This also makes melee characters feel risky to me, since it's easy to miss enemy attacks animations amidst all the particle effects (had this issue in FF16 sometimes also).

Otherwise I'm more or less getting the hang of things. I mainly have trouble against multiple enemies where I can't keep an eye on everyone.

Like the first game they really want you to block most attacks rather than dodge.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red XIII is so much fun to play. So far Cloud/Aerith/Red XIII has been my favorite party--I love their synergy skills together, and Red XIII just does absurd damage with Stardust Ray.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Anyone notice how the World Map and Region Map are completely different? Definitely a sneaky way to get around the “open world but how do we do it without loving with the scale of everything” issue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been enjoying the sidequests in this so far, even if they have weird audio balancing issues during their dialogue. During the one with Kyrie I could barely hear her speak during parts.

I turned down non-voice volume, but the balancing is fine in other scenes.

ImpAtom posted:

Like the first game they really want you to block most attacks rather than dodge.

Yeah, I know. It's just that sometimes I think "this attacks definitely looks dodgeable" but then it isn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I've been enjoying the sidequests in this so far, even if they have weird audio balancing issues during their dialogue. During the one with Kyrie I could barely hear her speak during parts.

I turned down non-voice volume, but the balancing is fine in other scenes.

Yeah, I know. It's just that sometimes I think "this attacks definitely looks dodgeable" but then it isn't.

Yeah, sadly, some of the scenes just have hosed audio balancing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

There’s two Chaldeys in this game… that’s double the chadley

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Does the Hard mode version of (ch 4 minigame spoiler) Fort Condor unlock anything. Or is it just there for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

Putting Ubisoft map slop in FF7 was a good idea honestly. My lizard brain enjoys it.

I hate Ubisoft games. But I love Japanese games that mimic Ubisoft games. Square makes all this bullshit just stupid and ridiculous enough that I love it. Give me more.

It does help that I play maybe one open world icon fest game a year at most.