Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I loving knew it that the bodacious beach bod line was gonna be Yuffie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

TheHoosier posted:

"No MAI/Chadley" mtx square please

it's literally the only complaint i have about the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

berenzen posted:

Does the Hard mode version of (ch 4 minigame spoiler) Fort Condor unlock anything. Or is it just there for fun.

It's necessary to complete one of the trophies/optional challenges but nothing important is tied to it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am enjoying even more than in Remake how the game manages to work in the stuff from the original that seemed too goofy or "classic video game" to work in a modern one but they somehow make it feel right, also the subversion of some of that stuff as well

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Made it to chapter 9. My wrist is killing me.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I didn't read/watch anything about this game going in, I just got it because I loved remake and drat is it blowing me away so far. I heard it would be open world but it's an actual good one that's fun to poke around and explore and it's always pointing you towards something to do. way too much chadley though (any chadley is too much)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

funkymonks posted:

I hate Ubisoft games. But I love Japanese games that mimic Ubisoft games. Square makes all this bullshit just stupid and ridiculous enough that I love it. Give me more.

It does help that I play maybe one open world icon fest game a year at most.

In Rebirth is because one of those vomit icons will lead to an area that either has one or all of the following: actually good and useful rewards, a cooky character you'll remember, an entire remixed piece of music from the OG or remake.

When I did the first mako fountain thing I just stood there for a couple of minutes because it had a nice little composition based on the lifestream theme and I forgot how beautiful that song was. The one I did after that was yet another composition that used the same leitmotifs (at least it sounded a little different). Plus exploration leads to fighting enemies and any vector that gets me more of the combat is always a good thing.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Some of the exploration is natural as gently caress, I got like six pips in the Junon area when i first got there because I just went places that looked cool and there was stuff. You almost don't even need the map sprinkles, they're pretty much just there if you want to check where you need to go for the last bits. There are some kinda meh tasks here and there, but they're very quick and things like the tower activation cutscenes can be skipped. Somehow it all hits the balance of feeling important, but also not feeling required that makes it a chore. I have no idea how that's possible, the only thing I can think is that they didn't make moving around a huge pain in the rear end. Plus they don't make you "earn" the chocobos by doing a bunch of annoying crap before getting them (at least in where I've been so far)

Also the relationship stuff makes me think they're gonna kill whoever I'm highest with aren't they? They're gonna kill Aerith again not because it's what happened in the OG but because I'm a foul Clerith shipper who wants to spend every moment I can with the loving flower girl That's not a question, don't answer if you actually know lol

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I hated the protorelic sidequest in the grasslands at first but after the 2nd place I realized this is just them doing a Yakuza sidequest and a deep calm came over me.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

aw, the mist potion works on your junon division

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

berenzen posted:

Does the Hard mode version of (ch 4 minigame spoiler) Fort Condor unlock anything. Or is it just there for fun.
I think there is reason to, but I can't go into any details, and as far as minigames go, there's not alot stopping you from putting them off until almost the end of the game.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Sorry if this has come up before but I can't keep up with this thread right now: I just finished all the chapter 2 side quests before the swamp, but I keep seeing what looks like a streak of life stream going down paths in front of me sometimes. Is that supposed to lead me somewhere or can i do something with it later, or is it just a neat effect for cool world building?

But yeah that Yakuza rear end side quest with Beck slayed, I love this poo poo I spent 9 hours wandering around this zone there's so much poo poo to do on this loving game hell yeah

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

From what I understand the references in Rebirth are to upcoming content. Pretty much all that has happened in terms of original plot is that Glenn is an early SOLDIER variation and works alongside a young Sephiroth, where he basically becomes Sephiroth's earliest friend. He's a more affable and good-natured guy compared to how he appears in Rebirth so he's destined for a fall.

It is also strongly implied that Glenn is Cloud's father based on certain extremely, weirdly, specific details that line up between Ever Crisis and Rebirth.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Sorry if this has come up before but I can't keep up with this thread right now: I just finished all the chapter 2 side quests before the swamp, but I keep seeing what looks like a streak of life stream going down paths in front of me sometimes. Is that supposed to lead me somewhere or can i do something with it later, or is it just a neat effect for cool world building?

But yeah that Yakuza rear end side quest with Beck slayed, I love this poo poo I spent 9 hours wandering around this zone there's so much poo poo to do on this loving game hell yeah

those things are usually guiding you to a quest destination/new quest

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I need sunglasses for my chocobo. Also a Kyrie moogle plush, can't believe Cloud didn't want one

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Started the Junon protorelic questline. God this game kicks rear end

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This game has been out for 48 hours and I have almost 18 hours of play time

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I spent way too much time making this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
23 hours for me, just got off the ship

spoilers for certain events that take place on said ship: red was a right bastard of a card player for someone without opposable thumbs, mainly because he uses the same strategy i assume most players do (overrun the board as early as possible and fortify your lanes afterward). i was spoiled on his intro but not on every detail of it and that was some surreal physical comedy

one more piece of evidence for him being more feline than canine is every so often a switch in his brain flips and he goes "i'm silly now"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rosalind posted:

I spent way too much time making this.

It is funny how they make a big deal over 2,000 gil and I'm like "I literally just spent that much on cards"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chapter 9 with 24 1/2 hours played so far. But wondering when is the point of no return coming up, or when will I be able to fast travel anywhere in the game so I can work entirely on side quests and have everything opened up finally?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It is funny how they make a big deal over 2,000 gil and I'm like "I literally just spent that much on cards"

I giggled when Barret gave Cloud poo poo for helping Cloud in the mine, then Aerith charges him the same amount for opening a door.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The score is somehow even better than remake. Almost every piece is an homage to an original piece and they always make me appreciate both the original and the new composition.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Just ran into the cutest drat robot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Synergy Skills are finally starting to make sense. They're pretty easy to understand once you realize they're split into offensive/defensive. You just need to keep track of what you have access to for any particular party composition.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I know she was like this in the OG, but Yuffie's introduction gave me mild second hand embarrassment

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I know she was like this in the OG, but Yuffie's introduction gave me mild second hand embarrassment

yuffie’s probably gotten the most drastic rewrite from her original version so far (haven’t seen cid/cait/vincent yet). in the OG she was a self-serving klepto whose loyalty to her homeland was a secondary consideration to Stealing All the Things. her avalanche fangirling and general pluckiness are new

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I started intermission after rebirth came out and just haven't picked it back up cause I find the yuffie character a little too anime for my serious adult jrpg where people swear but tbh I think I mostly just wanted to play rebirth. I think I'll pick up intermission again on my weekend on Monday when I can just sink a day into it rather than blowing my 2-3 gaming hours on it for a couple of days

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Yuffie is cool

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

limp dick calvin posted:

Yuffie is cool

Disagree, get outta here kid

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

limp dick calvin posted:

Yuffie is cool

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

She's the ff7 equivalent of the "we got foaaam" kids except it's materia. Even by jrpg standards she's embarrassing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, they made Gold Saucer look sooooooooooo cool :stwoon:

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

(ch5) the red xiii QB tournament segment

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dumb question - do the summons I got for beating the demo, Remake and Integrade appear later on naturally? Or are they exclusive to people with save data?

I don't like using that sort of bonus if it means getting stuff before the game intended. But if I'm never gonna get Leviathan any other way I'll happily use him.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I don't think you can get them in the game itself, no.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

What's the exclusive for playing the demo? I didn't play it I just jumped in

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

stev posted:

Dumb question - do the summons I got for beating the demo, Remake and Integrade appear later on naturally? Or are they exclusive to people with save data?

I don't like using that sort of bonus if it means getting stuff before the game intended. But if I'm never gonna get Leviathan any other way I'll happily use him.

all of the prior game stuff gets thrown in the same bucket as pre-order bonuses, so you can claim them if/when you want but there's no extra story segment

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

What's the exclusive for playing the demo? I didn't play it I just jumped in

a pretty forgettable accessory and some early game consumables

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So how do the synergy cool attacks work? There's some kind of bar system to fill but I must have missed the tutorial in the tutorial deluge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

limp dick calvin posted:

Yuffie is cool