Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah having to deal with trash software like g hub makes it not worth it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rusty posted:

I have seriously been thinking about how my keybinds are because stopping to try and deploy something above level 6 is hard as hell.

Switch the input to tap instead of hold and move the arrows off wasd.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Play posted:

Yesterday my camera would fly up into the air as if I was a spectator, but I was still alive just standing there on the surface according to my team members. When I tried to move the camera would just shimmy around randomly way up in the air. They had to kill me to reset it.

Happened twice. Always interesting, the bugs in this game

That's bizarre, my 3070 has been rock solid at a vsynced 60 since the game launched, with temps and usage of the gpu both quite low. Pretty well optimized game afaict, but with pc you never quite know how things will react, even with the specs exactly the same

E: however this is also at 1080p. Are you on 4k or something?

1440, optimized settings from that vid helped a bit but its still not great? Like its playable but i really want 80+ fps

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

was doin' some suicide bugs on angel's venture and between my airburst and the freebie napalms we were completely clearing egg clusters without stepping foot inside at all, just hucking the beacons over the walls and moving on. it was beautiful

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Helter Skelter posted:

Switch the input to tap instead of hold and move the arrows off wasd.
Yeah, I just changed to the arrows, and tap alt. Good idea.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
tried out orbital walking and gatling barrages today

walking barrage is actually really dope as a way to open up on a spawner or objective because you can toss it somewhere they don't see, and they freak out without necessarily spotting you. had the surviving bugs at one point form up into a swarm and charge off in a random direction away from me because i'd been hidden and they didn't see me throw the glowing beeping light ball. does a good job of popping bug holes and buildings too.

gatling barrage lasts a lot longer than you'd think, is good for holding down a point because it chain staggers and will do enough to put down non-heavies, but it also lasts a lot longer than you think and lusts for the blood of helldivers. gas cloud is probably better area denial just because it's a lot easier for friends to avoid

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It was a privilege and an honour to bully a titan with 3 orbital lasers, absolute thing of beauty :patriot:

the fucker survived

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Oneiros posted:

was doin' some suicide bugs on angel's venture and between my airburst and the freebie napalms we were completely clearing egg clusters without stepping foot inside at all, just hucking the beacons over the walls and moving on. it was beautiful

yea Everybody Napalm has been real fun

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I got my first titan kill last night. It survived my 110 strike so I put a recoilless shot down it's throat. :hellyeah:

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I cannot wait for them to nerf the breaker. When I run through a crowd of titans CQCing them and causing them all to explode simultaneously when I sheathe my katana it is ruined because I know I have an overpowered shotgun on my back that would have made it all that much easier. A miserable crutch for the weak and cowardly. Pathetic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

1440, optimized settings from that vid helped a bit but its still not great? Like its playable but i really want 80+ fps

IIRC the Creative Director, Pilestedt, said that the game is more likely to be bottlenecked by CPU than GPU since they do a lot of simulating various things (like angle of impact for armor deflecting shots).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

IIRC the Creative Director, Pilestedt, said that the game is more likely to be bottlenecked by CPU than GPU since they do a lot of simulating various things (like angle of impact for armor deflecting shots).

yeah my cpu is old enough it basically doesn't matter what my graphics settings are for my framerate

yet it still runs well enough to play which is wild for a game where every tree, rock and building is destructible and there's terrain deformation

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Seems weird that some sectors have planets that are about 60% liberated but aren't playable.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
just got a mission failed when my network 'failed to connect' which is absolute bullshit. We'd basically cleaned the whole map of every kind of samples in 8 diff.

sigh

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

been thinking about those games that tried to scam people into thinking they were discounted helldivers. doesn't steam hold funds like that for a couple of days anyway before passing it on to the developers in case they need to do any refunds? surely they didnt expect to actually see any of the money from doing that because its not like valve are just gonna let them keep the money

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

hbag posted:

been thinking about those games that tried to scam people into thinking they were discounted helldivers. doesn't steam hold funds like that for a couple of days anyway before passing it on to the developers in case they need to do any refunds? surely they didnt expect to actually see any of the money from doing that because its not like valve are just gonna let them keep the money

IIRC Steam holds for a whole month. So yeah, it was a stupid gimmick.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

did my first mission on an automaton planet. holy poo poo i felt completely useless. we ran out of time and all my squadmates had died so i was just diving around all these scouts and chainsaw guys trying to just not die in the 10 seconds i had until the extract landed. i get why people call it space vietnam now

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i got a "drat. good poo poo" in chat after i got out of there though

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What's weird is I feel like automatons are harder than bugs at difficulties <=5 but easier at anything harder.

Higher difficulty bugs will do poo poo like throw 20 hunters and 3 chargers at you. Sometimes a bonus bile titan or two for flavor. Not to mention the countless little lovely bugs.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Floppychop posted:

What's weird is I feel like automatons are harder than bugs at difficulties <=5 but easier at anything harder.

Higher difficulty bugs will do poo poo like throw 20 hunters and 3 chargers at you. Sometimes a bonus bile titan or two for flavor. Not to mention the countless little lovely bugs.

i mostly stick to lv7 so i don't have much experience at the top two difficulties but i'd agree. the bots can be nasty, especially if you draw a really unfortunate layout of enemy tactical emplacements e.g. their artillery or the Mother loving Eye Of Sauron. but i'll take a a hoard of devastators and hulks and tanks over three dozen hunters leaping at me from fifty meters away

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, I tend to agree. My friends and I have a wee level 5 babby in the group and the automatons seem to be kicking his rear end on difficulty 4 missions where bugs didn't.

I think it's the ranged component. Rocket devastators are absolute bastards when you're new.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im playing level 3 bot missions and we're all barely making it out alive

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I have a 12700K and 3080, I get around 110fps after fiddling with settings, lower render quality at 4K.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, I tend to agree. My friends and I have a wee level 5 babby in the group and the automatons seem to be kicking his rear end on difficulty 4 missions where bugs didn't.

I think it's the ranged component. Rocket devastators are absolute bastards when you're new.

At least from my perspective as a newbie, I agree. I've only done bots once or twice, but it's a completely different experience coming off of focusing on bugs for the directives. Suddenly instead of everything trying to get in your face, it hangs back a bit and plinks at you and you need to respond to that otherwise they'll keep doing that.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Warmachine posted:

At least from my perspective as a newbie, I agree. I've only done bots once or twice, but it's a completely different experience coming off of focusing on bugs for the directives. Suddenly instead of everything trying to get in your face, it hangs back a bit and plinks at you and you need to respond to that otherwise they'll keep doing that.

plus bots are a lot harder to see in the dark, even if they do have glowy bits

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Some good moments tonight

I'm stuck in a bile titan mission with 2 low level randoms because the 4th player left and SOS doesn't work. They both bring absolutely nothing capable of hurting a titan. I cross my fingers and bring my RR. When we make it to the titan I manage to shoot it twice and die reloading for a third. The poor guys are emptying their MGs into its belly non stop accomplishing nothing.

We spend most of our reinforcements either continuing to MG the titan or picking up the RR and dying before I can reload, until finally I manage to drop my pod onto its head and kill it.

Later, in a much better group with a friend, things have gotten a bit frantic as the team is spread out. I die and get reinforced on top of two chargers while the team books it. I notice a hellbomb on the ground, lose the chargers around a corner, run past it, trigger it, and hit the dirt. The chargers and other bugs all die while I live.

Game good.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'd like more reward/cash shop black and yellow armour sets. Maybe the options in Helldivers were more limited but you really looked like a team

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i'm still trying to drill into my brain that there is no reward at all for killing enemies and to just let patrols go past

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

hbag posted:

im playing level 3 bot missions and we're all barely making it out alive

You will look back on this and laugh once you have good strategems and better skills. I joined someone on a level three just now and was incredibly bored. Literally the only threat was the mortar someone brought

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

lv4 "challenging" is my floor but it is kinda fun dropping into super low level stuff. did you know there's an actual flag raising mission?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

does the muscle enhancement booster not work? some one told me it doesnt do anything today.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Oneiros posted:

lv4 "challenging" is my floor but it is kinda fun dropping into super low level stuff. did you know there's an actual flag raising mission?

The salute emote has to be good for something.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kly posted:

does the muscle enhancement booster not work? some one told me it doesnt do anything today.

Light weight baby

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oneiros posted:

Yeah, it really should be a side objective on higher levels.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The higher difficulties aren't for me at the moment, I do have all the strats but I have so much more fun playing in the 4 to 6 difficulty bracket than the higher ones

Getting surrounded by 3 bile titans is a very impressive sight but not superbfun to play in for me

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
I wish I could hide my level and only show my chosen rank :D

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Kly posted:

afaik it does work. But the only thing that gives difficult terrain is... jungles?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oneiros posted:

Yeah 4 is where I like to chill, but it can swingy. Got quickmatched into the creek at 4, first mission was a bit of a snooze, second mission was utterly insane. Bots everywhere, hulks, a tank. Also I see why people are going on about the creek, fighting the automatons in the jungle was so much fun.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Play posted:

You will look back on this and laugh once you have good strategems and better skills. I joined someone on a level three just now and was incredibly bored. Literally the only threat was the mortar someone brought

i reflexively kill friendly mortars now when playing with pubbies

they put them too far away or call them when you are pushing and wipe the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

BeAuMaN posted:

afaik it does work. But the only thing that gives difficult terrain is... jungles?

Snow. You had to remember to bring snow shoes with you last game, now only one person needs to remember