Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

That's all folk magic tho. Like sure, there are only 6000 registered Imperial mages, but there are probably countless hedge wizards making casting spells that make tea boil faster, they're just don't make the list.

Plus we don't know when exactly you get certified. Like Lawine and Kanne went to some magic academy, but does just graduating automatically register you as an apprentice-level mage or something? We don't really know.

I think like Rand Brittain posted earlier, you get your certification when you want to prove you can handle combat. Like, remember, the whole reason Frieren and Fern are even taking this exam in the first place is that they need to get into the northern lands which are currently barricaded because of increased demon activity in the region. Getting to be 1st class is showing that you're the best of the best and are capable of doing things like oh say dungeon crawling without getting yourself killed.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Frieren stoped using basic magic.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Frieren stoped using basic magic.

IIRC she only said it was sufficient for defeating mages of this era, which doesn't include herself.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also Kanne and Lawine are in some really contorted poses in the background. I think they actually like each other.

Maybe after all this is over they'll be business partners with each other.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Sachant posted:

IIRC she only said it was sufficient for defeating mages of this era, which doesn't include herself.

It's also a case where she absolutely can't prevail based on superior strength, speed, or stamina.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

that was a lot of talking. damnit, now i have to wait a whole nother week for all the cool finale animation

For a moment I was afraid you meant they STILL didn't do the !Frieren fight. But nope, Zoltraak to the FACE.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Also Kanne and Lawine are in some really contorted poses in the background. I think they actually like each other.

A stretch and a Romero Special makes me think someone at Madhouse is a fan of wrestling. Maybe even ChocoPro.

TwoPair posted:

Plus we don't know when exactly you get certified. Like Lawine and Kanne went to some magic academy, but does just graduating automatically register you as an apprentice-level mage or something? We don't really know.

Magic Academy is like mage JROTC I guess lol. Get those extra stripes out the gate.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 2, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was stated being 5th Class was when you are considered a proper mage.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the tall mage lady sure is useful. She was pretty good during the fight initial fight against the the first copy.
seems very knowledgeable and even trained a bit into a subclass job as Priest to use minor heal.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

GateOfD posted:

the tall mage lady sure is useful. She was pretty good during the fight initial fight against the the first copy.
seems very knowledgeable and even trained a bit into a subclass job as Priest to use minor heal.

aka Sein really hosed up

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
really liked the splicing of kid Flamme skipping about along them as Frieren and Serie are walking as Serie reminisces

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's a quick shot where Serie reaches out to hold hands with the mirage of Flamme, which is just about as bittersweet as you can get.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sindai posted:

That brief shot of Frieren and her clone moving their shields to follow each others' aim was rad as hell

It's a good shot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hey I finally caught up with this show and the analysis is in: it's good.

goddamn he's just like me fr.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
We identify with Himmel because he too failed to get a girlfriend.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

galagazombie posted:

We identify with Himmel because he too failed to get a girlfriend.

I think Himmel may have gotten too much girlfriend.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Cheating a bit here with the second screenshot by mashing frames together, but I did like this contrast from Ep. 21 and how it recontextualizes Frieren breaking Serie's barrier. The show's writing does this sort of thing a lot.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 2, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the writing does a lot of straight cyclical callbacks where past person says the same thing as present person, so the parts like that where it explicitly does a contrast instead stand out all the better. I appreciate how off the cuff the anime is able to show not tell that by liking Frieren, I do not like Serie.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

A stretch and a Romero Special makes me think someone at Madhouse is a fan of wrestling. Maybe even ChocoPro.

How does that even work? I don't understand why the legs wouldn't just slip away.

VVV Yeah, doesn't look like it would hold if the top person doesn't actively support it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 2, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

How does that even work? I don't understand why the legs wouldn't just slip away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEEsOr2CrsA

The person taking it is locked in by their feet being pointed inwards. They're being pulled downwards and pushed upwards simultaneously so that they can't point the toe downwards and rotate the foot outwards to free their leg.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 2, 2024

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sindai posted:

That brief shot of Frieren and her clone moving their shields to follow each others' aim was rad as hell

I came here to say this. That was the coolest spot in the fight to me

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
After the shot of all the clones converging on the bottom level, I was 100% expecting the cliffhanger to be Fern arriving to gently caress up the rear guard. But I'm guessing if that happens, it's going to be next episode.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I wonder why the camera lingered on Methode a bit longer when Frieren and Fern were about to enter the chamber. Hopefully it'll just be nothing.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That sliiiiide outta the way was so smooth~

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is this week's upcoming episode the season finale or will there be more after that?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sapozhnik posted:

Is this week's upcoming episode the season finale or will there be more after that?

The last episode will be on the 22nd of this month.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Frieren: Beyond Season's End

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I hope we get to see some Stark back, I miss the dude

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
how come there's no warrior certification system anyway

mages and their silly gatekeeping nonsense. warriors just go kill poo poo, they dont need no killing poo poo level 5 license

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk the author's background but as somebody who's spent a long time going through the IT cert mill Frieren's whole "hell they change the professional certification standards every other century, you think I can keep up with that poo poo?" gripe hit pretty close to home, lol.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I still wonder how old that holy symbol was, since only one mage recognized it it must be super old.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I mean if she was laying low from Flamme to Himmel it probably either occurred before she met Flamme (and was able to take out a general so she definitely was powerful) or during the Hero's journey.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I always thought that, considering how ancient it is and how fond Frieren is about it, the symbol was something she was given during her time with Flamme, possibly by Flamme herself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Flamme was the one who got magic study made legal, so she can't have gotten the symbol pre-Flamme.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

the fact that genau says 'she's the final great mage, then' after sense mentions the holy wand emblem always said to me that 'great mage' has a specific meaning, and that at one time, the emblem was something given to those recognized as 'great mages'

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah that makes the most sense I think, calling someone the "last great mage [generic]" would be a weird thing to say when Serie is still kicking, but not if the Great Mages [specific] were an actual, storied enclave* from a bygone era.

* buncha upstarts Serie didn't deign to join

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nitrousoxide posted:

The last episode will be on the 22nd of this month.

When Frieren ends, we will all finally understand the pain of loss.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Yawgmoft posted:

I mean if she was laying low from Flamme to Himmel it probably either occurred before she met Flamme (and was able to take out a general so she definitely was powerful) or during the Hero's journey.

In the flashback during episode 18, Frieren was showing Himmel and co the holy emblem, and they had no idea what it was, and noted that it was already old and rusty.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As far as I remember its the symbol of the order of mages that Flamme founded. I can't remember where that was in the 600-1000 years ago timeline but either way it was "long enough to be history" years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah that makes the most sense I think, calling someone the "last great mage [generic]" would be a weird thing to say when Serie is still kicking, but not if the Great Mages [specific] were an actual, storied enclave* from a bygone era.

* buncha upstarts Serie didn't deign to join

She could also be the last in the sense that she is the only one unaccounted for or she was the last to join their ranks or some similar meaning.

edit: grammar