Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Randallteal posted:

That option might actually work out for me if I was on top of only turning it on when I need it since I usually dip into Paradox games intensely for a few weeks and then put them down for multiple years before coming back.

It might be like getting out of a gym membership and you have to travel to the l-cluster in person to cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SUBSCRIPTION IS DESIRE

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If you don't own most of the DLC already then it's a pretty compelling deal, prodvided you remember to cancel once you take a break from playing. I mean, buying the DLC on sale might be better if you end up playing the game for thousands of hours, but you don't really know that beforehand.

To me though it FEELS bad to not own the game content I'm playing, when it's not live service crap at least.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So I'm guessing that Guilli has retired from his Stellaris mod making? Don't know if I can play this without their Planet Modifiers mod :(

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

So I'm guessing that Guilli has retired from his Stellaris mod making? Don't know if I can play this without their Planet Modifiers mod :(

According to an xtter post from him back in December, he's taking a mental health break.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

GunnerJ posted:

According to an xtter post from him back in December, he's taking a mental health break.

Ah, that's absolutely fair enough then.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That said, a mod made for a prior version of the game could very well work with a new version. If the new version didn't mess much with planetary modifiers, it might not need to be updated to be used.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm using Giully's mod with the latest patch and haven't had issue yet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

If you don't own most of the DLC already then it's a pretty compelling deal, prodvided you remember to cancel once you take a break from playing. I mean, buying the DLC on sale might be better if you end up playing the game for thousands of hours, but you don't really know that beforehand.

To me though it FEELS bad to not own the game content I'm playing, when it's not live service crap at least.
For something like gamepass where you're paying access to games plural it feels less weird (though I don't have gamepass because it still feels weird), and at least with something like WoW you could argue you were paying for access to the servers. But paying money for a game singular that runs on my own hardware and then not being able to play the game any more if I stop would feel really, really weird.

If it was a kind of rent-to-own where you get Parabux toward your next DLC then I could see it but yeah, no.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I don't think it's meant for those of us that have most dlc. It's a great way not to have a 200-300 bucks paywall between you and having all dlcs.

It's great for new players imo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
it's also a great way for paradox to make money

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The patches are more valuable than the DLC usually

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023
drat, playing the game again after so long and I am hooked on it. I'm playing in Ironman and I already restarted 3 times, but I've been going at it. The last game I started I made some bad decisions and got vassalized, eventually declared independence and secured my borders again and then the Great Khan spawned and I tanked him as the galaxy did nothing only to eventually capitulate to him and become his satrapy (had to reform my economy because I had no food and no minerals) and then the galaxy finally kills him and now I have a system in the middle of mine that is from the Khanate (that has like 4 systems).

It's been real fun tho.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Despacho posted:

drat, playing the game again after so long and I am hooked on it. I'm playing in Ironman and I already restarted 3 times, but I've been going at it. The last game I started I made some bad decisions and got vassalized, eventually declared independence and secured my borders again and then the Great Khan spawned and I tanked him as the galaxy did nothing only to eventually capitulate to him and become his satrapy (had to reform my economy because I had no food and no minerals) and then the galaxy finally kills him and now I have a system in the middle of mine that is from the Khanate (that has like 4 systems).

It's been real fun tho.

The goal is to make as much of a mess as you possibly can. (It drives my OCD crazy, but I can't stop playing it. :) )

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What are some of the weirder games you've done?

One of my favorites has been starting out with a totally empty galaxy, with no AI empires, just a lot of planets and pre-FTL civilizations set to the max. My empire acts as a sort of precursor, uplifting other civilizations and trying to get them ready in time to face off the crisis events. If any of them end up aggressive towards each other, I immediately invade and wipe out their entire navy. Genocidal empires get their planets exploded by a colossus. We are all friends, here. All three 25x crises are coming after 2400 and we don't have time for minor squabbles. Friends, forever.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

two fish posted:

One of my favorites has been starting out with a totally empty galaxy, with no AI empires, just a lot of planets and pre-FTL civilizations set to the max. My empire acts as a sort of precursor, uplifting other civilizations and trying to get them ready in time to face off the crisis events. If any of them end up aggressive towards each other, I immediately invade and wipe out their entire navy. Genocidal empires get their planets exploded by a colossus. We are all friends, here. All three 25x crises are coming after 2400 and we don't have time for minor squabbles. Friends, forever.

That actually sounds kinda neat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

two fish posted:

Friendship and peace is mandatory, transgressions punishable by death.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Is Barbaric Despoilers supposed to give you extra soldier jobs on your capital buildings? I'm guessing it's a bug since it's not documented anywhere and the number of jobs seems to scale with something I can't determine

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Edit: Oops

Atopian fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 8, 2024

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New expansion next week.

It says divine calling but shows someone being cyborged so maybe there are multiple ways to find God?

https://x.com/stellarisgame/status/1765769640922206370?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

The crisis is now me attacking and dethroning God.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Speaking of expansions, the ones I'm currently missing are Galactic Paragons, Astral Planes, and First Contact.

Which of these should I get when (presumably) they'll be discounted during the next big sale?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I don't have Astral Planes but I remember Galactic Paragons being good.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
Paragons is a pretty great leader revamp and would be the one I'd prioritize. The other two are more niche with First Contact adding some new origins and pre-FTL mechanics, astral rifts are basically just a midgame version of digsites.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Rumours of my demise have been greatly exagurated.

Jokes aside, I'm not gone just on a break. I've had health issues with chronic exhaustion for the past year. Found out why and I'm getting on top of it now. Small stellaris burnout from modding hasn't helped though. Feeling way better and starting to get that stellaris urge again.

I intend to keep the mod updated for as long as possible even if I don't play much or at all future wise.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Guilliman posted:

Jokes aside, I'm not gone just on a break. I've had health issues with chronic exhaustion for the past year. Found out why and I'm getting on top of it now. Small stellaris burnout from modding hasn't helped though. Feeling way better and starting to get that stellaris urge again.

I intend to keep the mod updated for as long as possible even if I don't play much or at all future wise.

Guilliman literally being Atlas holding up the world (of stellaris) as usual

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Guilliman literally being Atlas holding up the world (of stellaris) as usual

There's a Warhammer 40k joke in here that's a little too obvious for me to figure out how to articulate.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Guilliman posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know you posted here! I really like your work, man.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anno posted:

New expansion next week.

It says divine calling but shows someone being cyborged so maybe there are multiple ways to find God?

https://x.com/stellarisgame/status/1765769640922206370?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA
Like a kind of machine god?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCVTY4AKcE

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jabarto posted:

Is Barbaric Despoilers supposed to give you extra soldier jobs on your capital buildings? I'm guessing it's a bug since it's not documented anywhere and the number of jobs seems to scale with something I can't determine

Do you have a military leader governor?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

ShadowHawk posted:

Do you have a military leader governor?
It seems like this most likely unless there a military leader ruler trait that adds it everywhere.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIMZ0WyY88

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

standard.deviant posted:

It seems like this most likely unless there a military leader ruler trait that adds it everywhere.

It was this. For some reason it auto-assigned a commander to govern my capital instead of an official. Never seen that happen before

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jabarto posted:

It was this. For some reason it auto-assigned a commander to govern my capital instead of an official. Never seen that happen before
Was it your starting leader who got demoted after electing your starting governor to President?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Was it your starting leader who got demoted after electing your starting governor to President?

No, I didn't even unpause the game before checking it.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What are some ways to reduce the immense lag as mid-game hits?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Boring: Disable xenocompatibility
Cool: Get an X3D CPU and the fastest RAM you can find

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Aren't there some mods that'll do it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So...Astral Planes made me drop the game for a while for the first time since release, since the DLC was just rehashing old mechanics with more bloat and the big patch seemed to make a lot of questionable decisions.

What's the consensus on the current state of the game? I saw that they have constant patches since Astral Planes came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

This game is actually good now. It's amazing what caring about balance and tempo will do for the game.