Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

disposablewords posted:

The Golden Path isn't really an ideology in-universe so much as it is the one path visible in his (and his son's) prescience that doesn't ultimately end in human extinction. Like it doesn't take any special belief, it is a thing he actually sees with his extra senses, much as a sighted man can see a mountain peak that a blind man cannot. The desirability of it and its means to see it through might be up for ideological debate, but its existence is as factual as the existence of Paul himself in the story.

An ideology IS a system of belief. It doesn't matter how extra or real it is to Paul or Leto or you or me, that's just the type of thing that it is.

PeterWeller posted:

Fundamentalism isn't really about how much faith you have; it's about how strictly you adhere to tenets and traditions. While the latter often follows from the former, it's not always the case. For example, I'd argue that many Republican politicians are strict fundamentalists, but I'd also question their faith--Ted Cruz wants abortion outlawed not because of his deep faith in Christ and his promise of redemption but because he wants to exercise control over people.

For sure, and the Bene are very strict and seek absolute control over themselves and others. There's other fundamentalist attributes they display too; consider their extreme levels of dedication, exclusivity, and intolerance. This isn't an exhaustive list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Aces High posted:

I liked this, but I definitely wasn't wowed in the same way I was after watching Part 1 for the first time. I can't really out my finger on why, especially since complaints about changes could also be leveled at Part 1.

For me it was the pacing. The first movie took it's time, and slowly pulled the curtains to every scene and introduction. In this one, it was like Chef Emeril was producing it. BAM here is a scene for 1 minute BAM here's paul going to BAM here is BAM a worm BAM chani is angry BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM credits. It was so jarring to me. All those scenes were amazing, but holy poo poo my brain was going to explode.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

abelwingnut posted:

so how does this work?

the prophecy isn't real. it was the creation of the bene gesserit to help maintain power on a generational timeline on a galactic scale. all of it, from head to toe. it was product of imagination.

however, in the cave scene, where he walks in to prove he's the messiah, he's able to read a few of the attendees minds and what not. they're so shocked that they fully convert. he's also constantly talking to alia.

if the prophecy is completely made up, there can be no such omnipotent character. there should be no one who can see all of the past and all of the future. yet, he telepaths in, can see the past, and can see the future.

it's been a looooooooong time since i read the books, so maybe i'm missing something fundamental. but how do i reconcile this?

it's important to distinguish between the 'real' stuff (superpowers produced by training, drugs, and generations of eugenics) and the politics (kwisatz haderach project, lisan al-gaib prophesy, etc.).

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I wonder how any super powers Charles II had irl

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Blood Boils posted:

An ideology IS a system of belief. It doesn't matter how extra or real it is to Paul or Leto or you or me, that's just the type of thing that it is.

And... I said... it doesn't require belief. In the bit you're quoting. I didn't contradict myself. It's a sequence of events they can perceive, just like seeing a mountain isn't an ideology.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

if we're talking about definitions, the "golden path" is simply a single one of many possible futures. it's not a belief about humanity's potential or nature, or any kind of abstract set of codes by which humanity ought to abide. it is literally a sequence of explicit events which leads to a specific result, which leto II knows for a fact can actually happen

like, the "passion of Christ" is the sequence of events which started with jesus' arrest and ends with his ascension into heaven after death. when people refer to "the passion" they are not talking about ideology or theology, they're not saying whether Jesus is good or bad. they are talking about a series of events which happened. "the golden path" is a series of events which could happen, and if they do, it ends with the great scattering

kalel fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 2, 2024

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Aces High posted:

I liked this, but I definitely wasn't wowed in the same way I was after watching Part 1 for the first time. I can't really out my finger on why, especially since complaints about changes could also be leveled at Part 1.
I kinda felt the same way in the theater, but now that it's been a few days since I've seen it, I can tell that it was mostly because part one was such a different thing - like I had never seen scifi done like that, so it felt completely new. Part 2 is more of the same, so in a way I wasn't as wowed by the pure feeling of it.

But now that I've had a few days to sit on it, I think Dunc 2 is even better than Dunc 1. The visuals keep popping up in my head again and again.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rental Sting posted:

Movie was insanely lit.

The AMC in Skokie, IL that I like has both an IMAX and a Dolby theater and the Dolby is miles better, but I have no idea if that's always the case. Caught a Dolby matinee today and it was a full sensory overload at all times. Gotta go back later this week.

The one by village crossing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The total absence of the guild from the finale of the film really makes the political situation hard to understand. You get the impression that Paul's super soldiers will defeat the whole galaxy in space combat through sheer zeal when none of them have ever been on a spaceship in their lives.

In fact the entire final act is rushed and confusing. It's changed significantly from the book in that the emperor's motivation to come to Dune is changed. In the book the Emperor shows up because the guild and the great houses are losing confidence in his ability to maintain the status quo on Arrakis. So when he shows up and Paul dumpsters him in twenty minutes everyone else is already kinda on the fence. The guild acquiesces immediately because they will literally die without spice, which makes organized resistance difficult. It makes more sense that the Atreides conquer the galaxy with a stranglehold on trade and only ambivalent resistance from the ruling class in addition to super soldiers.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 2, 2024

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

banned from Starbucks posted:

The one by village crossing?

That's the one.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

disposablewords posted:

And... I said... it doesn't require belief. In the bit you're quoting. I didn't contradict myself. It's a sequence of events they can perceive, just like seeing a mountain isn't an ideology.

A possible future that your mom's school of witches have raised you to achieve isn't the same thing as a mountain.

kalel posted:

if we're talking about definitions, the "golden path" is simply a single one of many possible futures. it's not a belief about humanity's potential or nature, or any kind of abstract set of codes by which humanity ought to abide. it is literally a sequence of explicit events which leads to a specific result, which leto II knows for a fact can actually happen

like, the "passion of Christ" is the sequence of events which started with jesus' arrest and ends with his ascension into heaven after death. when people refer to "the passion" they are not talking about ideology or theology, they're not saying whether Jesus is good or bad. they are talking about a series of events which happened. "the golden path" is a series of events which could happen, and if they do, it ends with the great scattering

Speaking as a Christian the passion is definitely talking theology lol

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I was trying to figure out why I didn't remember the Sardaukar just being a bunch of handsome bearded white guys in the first movie and I think it's because you only saw them with their full suits on. They're just normal looking dudes under there!

I found Christopher Walken distracting and wholly unbelievable as the emperor.

Gonna have to see it again in IMAX.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hard to praise or criticize Walken's performance when he has zilch to do. We could have used some more dialogue in those scenes of him looking worried.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
I had to hold back laughter when he started talking for the first time. He’s supposed to be some imposing calculating guy but he just plays him like wacky “I stuck da watch up my rear end” Walken. I figured he was cast as a neat callback to his participation in the David lynch film? Felt horribly miscast though to me

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

The total absence of the guild from the finale of the film really makes the political situation hard to understand. You get the impression that Paul's super soldiers will defeat the whole galaxy in space combat through sheer zeal when none of them have ever been on a spaceship in their lives.

In fact the entire final act is rushed and confusing. It's changed significantly from the book in that the emperor's motivation to come to Dune is changed. In the book the Emperor shows up because the guild and the great houses are losing confidence in his ability to maintain the status quo on Arrakis. So when he shows up and Paul dumpsters him in twenty minutes everyone else is already kinda on the fence. The guild acquiesces immediately because they will literally die without spice, which makes organized resistance difficult. It makes more sense that the Atreides conquer the galaxy with a stranglehold on trade and only ambivalent resistance from the ruling class in addition to super soldiers.

Thank you, I knew there was something off in the ending and I couldn't place what was going on. The Fremen running onto the ships and lifting off into orbit seemed really out of place. It's been a while since I read the book, but I thought Paul did control the guild through the spice, which meant everyone else had to step in line or lose access to the known universe.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Blood Boils posted:

A possible future that your mom's school of witches have raised you to achieve isn't the same thing as a mountain.

The spectrum of possible futures as physical features is just plainly the metaphor Herbert used so :shrug:

Also the Golden Path isn't something the BGs planned, they just wanted their pet superman. Them maintaining control is one of the things that would lead to stagnation.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Saw it I do think it's a good adaptation and the big changes actually work to hammer home the themes better.

Only real complaint is it did need the Guild rep at the end on the shutting down the Emperor to hammer home the "without spice there's no guild, no space travel" and it also would explain why the Fremen actually can use the ships to go on their war.

But considering what it does well, that's a pretty minor complaint compared to magical rain of Arrakis at the end...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Philthy posted:

Thank you, I knew there was something off in the ending and I couldn't place what was going on. The Fremen running onto the ships and lifting off into orbit seemed really out of place. It's been a while since I read the book, but I thought Paul did control the guild through the spice, which meant everyone else had to step in line or lose access to the known universe.

It's also the explanation for how Paul expects to conquer the galaxy with only a few million soldiers: no one else has any strategic mobility, so they're stuck waiting for the Atreides jihad to show up em masse and defeat them in detail.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

killaer posted:

I had to hold back laughter when he started talking for the first time. He’s supposed to be some imposing calculating guy but he just plays him like wacky “I stuck da watch up my rear end” Walken. I figured he was cast as a neat callback to his participation in the David lynch film? Felt horribly miscast though to me

Also the Fatboy Slim music video.

Vaguely related, ages ago I joked about the Transformers The Movie soundtrack working for anything, but I legit heard The Touch in my head when Paul rides the worm and it kicked rear end

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 2, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's also the explanation for how Paul expects to conquer the galaxy with only a few million soldiers: no one else has any strategic mobility, so they're stuck waiting for the Atreides jihad to show up em masse and defeat them in detail.

Yeah, Paul has the galaxy and the Guild in particular by the short and curlies with his monopoly on the only resource that allows space travel.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Carpet posted:

Thinking again about that jump cut from Paul saying he is no Messiah, to Stilgar exclaiming to his buddies that that is exactly what the Messiah would say, further proving his divinity

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also the Fatboy Slim music video.

Vaguely related, ages ago I joked about the Transformers The Movie soundtrack working for anything, but I legit heard The Touch in my head when Paul rides the worm and it kicked rear end

lol denis had to have cast him because he says

"Walk without rhythm, it won't attract the worm"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Arglebargle III posted:

I think Denis made the right choice by excising a lot of the galactic politics and focusing on the main characters and Arrakis, but this is absolutely spot on. The ending would have been hugely improved by including A) a scene showing the other houses putting pressure on the emperor and emphasizing the necessity for him to personally take care of the situation on Arrakis, and B) the presence of a representative of the Guild at the end making clear that they need to acquiesce to Paul in order to survive, thus allowing the jihad to spread off world.

This goes hand in hand with my complaint above about the situation with projectile weapons not being explained: one of the pitfalls of adapting Dune is thinking that you need to feature all the factions and oddities of the universe in order to do it justice, thus ending up with a weird dehumanized soup of things and actions a la the Lynch movie, but ultimately you have to include at least some of that stuff to make the whole world intelligible.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 2, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah I think absent from the Denisverse is just the sheer scale of power wielded by 3rd parties. I remember reading in the books about how even the great houses had to hitch a ride from the spicing guilds and got that sense of bigger fishes

Antristo
Nov 27, 2014
I agree with the sentiment that the entire movie felt rushed - especially the second half.

The entire thing should have been a trilogy just to cover book one to begin with.

That said, I'm quite happy with what we got. As far as Dune on the big screen is concerned, this certainly blows Lynch's version out of the water a thousand times over.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not super familiar with the books, I've mostly picked up details from the series via cultural osmosis and watching the Lynch version on some weird double sided DVD with always on German subtitles that I found in a friend's parent's house.

But in adapting the next book (Messiah?) would it be essential to actually feature elements like the Navigators, or can they just continue to elide those elements the way they currently do.

I mostly just want to see more weird poo poo ngl.

Antristo
Nov 27, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not super familiar with the books, I've mostly picked up details from the series via cultural osmosis and watching the Lynch version on some weird double sided DVD with always on German subtitles that I found in a friend's parent's house.

But in adapting the next book (Messiah?) would it be essential to actually feature elements like the Navigators, or can they just continue to elide those elements the way they currently do.

I mostly just want to see more weird poo poo ngl.

I feel the importance of the Spacing Guild in general has been heavily undersold in both movies, and I expect that trend to continue in Messiah.

Which is a shame, as their need for and obsession with the spice and by extension, Paul, is an important plot line.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Denis: "We will be making Dun3 M3ssiah!"

":unsmith:"

Denis: "the spacing guild head will be played by Jared Leto!"

":smith:"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Man that rocked. Agree about missing the spacing guild, i am disappointed about the lack of water discipline and the desert still doesn't actually look hot in any way, but otherwise that was exemplary. I kept thinking about things they cut, but then realising that actually it didn't make any difference not having them.

notenome
Jul 26, 2023

Besides world building what you lose when you excise the guild, mentats (and in latter books the Tleilaxu) is Herbert's working class horror at specialized labor. Herbert was only financially secure in the last decade of his life and he had to keep working odd jobs until the mid 70s with his wife being the main breadwinner. Marx had written that as industrial capital advances workers become evermore extension of machines and machines become extensions of workers, and Herbert (who was not a leftist) takes that observation to it's furthest conclusion, which is specialized labor demanding specialized bodies, workers being turned into machines. Dune popularized ecology in science fiction, and the central conceit of ecology is interconnectedness and malleability: bodies are shaped by their planetary environments (Sardaukar, Fremen) but also their economic function.

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

I enjoyed Part 2 quite a bit more than Part 1, precisely because of the pacing. Part 1 is full of these moments where the movie finally gets going only to be stopped by a long scene of characters explaining things in stilted dialogue. (Villeneuve said recently that he hates dialogue and I understand it, the man really struggles to direct it.) I get that these scenes are useful and maybe even good to people who are new to Dune but as someone who's read the book, it just made the movie tedious for the most part.

In Part 2 there's a lot less of that and the "let's take a break" moments mostly serve the plot rather than being pure worldbuilding. Things are more confusing and this approach is maybe less true to the source material (which after all, is also full of weird pacing and stilted expository dialogue) but it makes it work much better as a movie. Maybe that's just because while I've read the first two books I'm not a big fan of them, and I'd much rather see something like a Terrence Malick-style adaptation than some poo poo about guild politics

Also idk, the confusing bits are better approach with the mindset of "this will probably become clearer later" than "wtf this came out of nowhere". Like the ending felt to me a lot more like a setup for the next movie than a true ending, much like the ending to Part 1 was

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
lolling again thinking about Chani teaching Paul how to properly sandwalk, and Paul going "well, back on Caladan I watched some YouTube tutorial videos and they said..."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Carpet posted:

lolling again thinking about Chani teaching Paul how to properly sandwalk, and Paul going "well, back on Caladan I watched some YouTube tutorial videos and they said..."

Peak Mahdisplaining

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

"That's funny Chani, because in my youtubes they said if you walk without rhythm, you're never gonna learn."

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
You don't understand,Chani, Stilgar came to me, with tears in his eyes, saying "Usul, Usul, my Lisan Al Gaib..."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bugblatter posted:

"That's funny Chani, because in my youtubes they said if you walk without rhythm, you're never gonna learn."

It is pretty funny that Christopher Walken is now directly tied to both of these.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Antristo posted:

I agree with the sentiment that the entire movie felt rushed - especially the second half.

The entire thing should have been a trilogy just to cover book one to begin with.
over.

I think you could probably have included the exposition about the guild and the great houses through Gurney, Irulan and Mohiam and maybe one additional character in the final scene. Two minutes of screen time and like six lines.

"The guild is paying a fortune to anyone who can get spice past Muad'Dib. You don't realize how much terror you've inflicted. The Imperium runs on the spice."

"CHOAM profits are down another 50% this quarter. If the Emperor doesn't move immediately he will lose the support of the guild and the great houses and next the throne. Why are you still advising him to wait?"

Give Walken a line disagreeing with Feyd when he claims he's restored spice production!

Put a guild navigator in the final scene. After the exchange about destroying the spice fields and the line "he's bluffing" Have Feyd order his attendants to summon the Harkonnen fleet from Geidi Prime and have the guild guy tell him the guild won't transport them.

You could replace them looking up at the great houses starships arriving and lines about how they're going to fight with looking up at a clear sky and noting the absence of an arriving fleet means the guild has acquiesced to his ascension.

Like one additional minute of screen time in existing scenes, if that. Just lose a few frames of that triumph of the will stuff on black and white planet.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Okay, reading that, I get why Denis hates dialogue.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh also Paul gets stabbed right in his brachial artery and walks it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Has there even been a goon rewrite that wasn't demonstrably much worse than the original