Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone know if there's something extra for never talking to Gideon?
I just beat Loretta and he's still standing next to Roundtable like a chump.

It does seem to have stalled Nepheli's quest, though.

Now you'll never know to find the albinauric woman. :mad:

But yeah, stalling Nepheli will prevent you from getting the first arsenal charm and likely keep you from getting the magic scorpion charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
Per the thread's recommendation, I'm playing through with the Envoy's Long Horn right now (write up coming soon). Just stopped in to mention I went by where Shabriri was standing the other day and realized, "Why am I not murdering you? You body snatching fuckwit." So I blasted a couple Bubble Showers down his throat and took all his stuff. Incredibly gratifying.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 1, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7341043277329747233

Doing a backstab makes you immune to fall damage

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Steve Yun posted:

Proof that the Frenzied Flame ending is the cannon ending

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Steve Yun posted:

I use this to skip Haligtree town.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'm going to poke some holes in this, although I think it is ultimately left ambiguous who exactly extended the guidance of grace to the Tarnished. I believe it's Marika, which I'll get to. (…)

Do we know what exactly Marika’s relationship to the Greater Will is? My understanding is this: Marika is an Empyrean. Empyreans are people who have the ability to form a direct connection with an outer god, taking on their power and becoming what people in the world of Elden Ring simply call a god. Outer gods are formless beings that have a lot of power but can’t really use it because they can only act on the physical world indirectly, through people with physical forms. Typically they can only do little things like showing them the guidance of grace or teaching them spells. (Not empowering them to cast the spells, just providing knowledge. Some spells let the caster tap into the power of the outer god but the outer god doesn’t really have any control over that.) Empyreans are extremely valuable to outer gods because they allow an outer god to exert direct control over the world rather than just whispering in someone’s ear, or teaching them how to tap into its power and hoping they actually use that knowledge and power to further its goals.

With this is mind I do agree that Marika had the ability to grant and bestow the guidance of grace. She definitely did so during the time that Godfrey was Elden Lord, because back then she took away the grace of him and his soldiers, creating the first Tarnished. However, I believe she inherited that ability from the Greater Will. During the time the game takes place in, I don’t think Marika can do that, or anything else that the Greater Will let her do. She’s being kept prisoner in the crucible by the Greater Will.

quote:

Why would the GW abandon those to whom it's extended the guidance of grace before the job is done? There's no guarantee that the player Tarnished, or anyone for that matter, would take those mending runes, become Elden Lord, and choose to use them to mend the Elden Ring.

That’s true, the player is not guaranteed to become Elden Lord and do what the Greater Will wants, but the player is certainly more likely to do that than any of the three mending rune creators. The Greater Will is not in a position to hold out for the perfect person. Frankly, it’s kinda hosed by the start of the game. I think the Greater Will is playing to its outs.

quote:

You've got this backward. (Gideon stuff)

All very true about Nephili, I totally got that wrong.

quote:

My Big Brain Theory: Marika wanted out of the whole arrangement, she wanted to die (see: Hewg), and exiled Godfrey/the Tarnished before she shattered the ring so that they would come back after she "gives back what [she] once claimed" and, through struggle and the flame of ambition, restore Destined Death (this is the important bit), become worthy enough to become Elden Lord and restore Order according to how they see fit.

This is tricky because if you’re right about Marika’s plan then that means that she and the Greater Will both wanted someone to come along and restore the rune of Destined Death. This overlap in motivation makes attribution difficult. Maybe you’re right and Marika bestowed the guidance to have the player restore death, or maybe I’m right and the Greater Will did that, but Marika knew it would do that and factored it into her plan.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I don't think the plot of the game in any way requires Marika and the GW to agree on anything tbh.

The Greater Will, or any Outer God, can't directly affect *anything*, they grant power to an Empyrean in order for the Empyrean to further the Outer God's interests.

I don't think the Outer God actually has any ability to enforce that beyond revoking it's power.

I think Marika banished Godfrey and the Tarnished to force them to grow stronger through adversity, then shattered the Ring, intending for Godfrey, or someone, to come deal with the consequences. She was able to restore Grace to the Tarnished because that was a power granted to her by the GW.

The GW didn't immediately revoke her power because, as we see in game, communication with the GW takes time.

Eventually the GW finds out what she's done, and revokes her power, allowing her to be sealed away (and/or Radagon sealing him/herself away while he tries to repair the Ring).

The Lands Between just kind of sits there, slowly falling apart, while Marika/Radagon are sealed away, until the start of the game. Then the plot takes off from there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It would be funny if we find out the GW didn’t know anything happened. Didnt know Radagon existed, didn’t know the Elden Ring was shattered, didn’t know Godfrey

Just sitting in a hot tub and one day its servant comes by and hands it a fax sent 500 years ago

“SHE DID WHAT”

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ariong posted:

Do we know what exactly Marika’s relationship to the Greater Will is? My understanding is this: Marika is an Empyrean. Empyreans are people who have the ability to form a direct connection with an outer god, taking on their power and becoming what people in the world of Elden Ring simply call a god. Outer gods are formless beings that have a lot of power but can’t really use it because they can only act on the physical world indirectly, through people with physical forms. Typically they can only do little things like showing them the guidance of grace or teaching them spells. (Not empowering them to cast the spells, just providing knowledge. Some spells let the caster tap into the power of the outer god but the outer god doesn’t really have any control over that.) Empyreans are extremely valuable to outer gods because they allow an outer god to exert direct control over the world rather than just whispering in someone’s ear, or teaching them how to tap into its power and hoping they actually use that knowledge and power to further its goals.

With this is mind I do agree that Marika had the ability to grant and bestow the guidance of grace. She definitely did so during the time that Godfrey was Elden Lord, because back then she took away the grace of him and his soldiers, creating the first Tarnished. However, I believe she inherited that ability from the Greater Will. During the time the game takes place in, I don’t think Marika can do that, or anything else that the Greater Will let her do. She’s being kept prisoner in the crucible by the Greater Will.

A few things:

- I don't think it's a given that an Empyrean is defined as "people who have the ability to form a direct connection with an outer god." Of the demigod Empyreans, Malenia has some connection to the God of Rot, but that seems to be part and parcel with her affliction, like her curse gave the God of Rot the ability to infect her. Remembrance of the Rot Goddess says "Miquella and Malenia are both the children of a single god. As such they are both Empyreans, but suffered afflictions from birth. One was cursed with eternal childhood, and the other harbored rot within." Conversely Ranni is associated with the moon by volition (and its status as an outer god is arguable, I would say). The other big missing piece is Miquella. What outer god is he associated with? None, so far as we know.

I basically agree with the Tarnished Archaeologist's take on this one: Empyreans are defined as those capable of becoming a god. Does that require meddling by or affiliation with an outer god? I don't know, but if so, it raises a lot more questions than it answers. What outer god is Miquella associated with? The Gloam-Eyed Queen was an Empyrean, who is her outer god?

For all I know all this will be answered in the DLC, but generally speaking, I think people are often too quick to ascribe causation to the outer gods when their involvement is vague and indirect at best and references to them in the game are few and far between.

- Marika's not in the Crucible, she's in the Erdtree (which granted seems to have some prior relationship to the Erdtree, whether it was a prior form or grew out of it or whatever, but they're distinct). We don't definitively know what the Crucible is, but as a total aside, my money's on the tree in Land of Shadow being it, or a present-day continuation of it. I base this on... it looking like a crucible.

I agree with you that Marika's ability to extend grace ultimately derived from the Greater Will (or, at least, by extension through the Elden Beast and/or the Elden Ring) and that she's currently a prisoner, but the timeline here poses some problems because all of these things happened after the Shattering but before the events of the game:
- it led to abandonment by the Greater Will
- Godfrey/the Tarnished got their grace back
- Marika was imprisoned within the Erdtree by some combination of Radagon, the Elden Beast, and possibly the Greater Will itself (I don't think the GW's direct involvement here is necessarily a given)

What I will say is that those two quotes I posted where she divests Godfrey and the Tarnished of their grace and then says she will "give back what I once claimed" are about as close to a smoking gun as the game has, in my eyes. You could argue she can't give the guidance of grace now, but I think it's pretty clear that she did then, and it apparently persists.

quote:

This is tricky because if you’re right about Marika’s plan then that means that she and the Greater Will both wanted someone to come along and restore the rune of Destined Death. This overlap in motivation makes attribution difficult. Maybe you’re right and Marika bestowed the guidance to have the player restore death, or maybe I’m right and the Greater Will did that, but Marika knew it would do that and factored it into her plan.

I think you're again assuming that the Greater Will is still around and invested in the events of the Lands Between, and ascribing motivations to it without much basis. We know that "long ago, the Greater Will sent a golden star bearing a beast into the Lands Between, which would later become the Elden Ring", Marika broke it, and the ensuing Shattering War led to the Greater Will's abandonment. Signs point to the Greater Will never having directly influenced events beyond sending the Elden Beast/Ring and communicating with the Fingers at some point in the past. That idea in fact goes against a lot of what the game goes to some pains to establish, that the GW and the Order wield power from afar, through proxies: the Beast, the imagery of the Beast wielding the sword that is the body of Marika/Radagon, the Fingers, the finger readers interpreting the Fingers and then communicating their wishes to the masses... everything is several steps removed from the source by design.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Vintersorg posted:

That’s LobosJr - he’s a god at this game.

I know him, but have not watched his vids. I do know that Tototriceps has beaten the game where every enemy is Radagon which was pretty wild.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

A few things:

- I don't think it's a given that an Empyrean is defined as "people who have the ability to form a direct connection with an outer god." Of the demigod Empyreans, Malenia has some connection to the God of Rot, but that seems to be part and parcel with her affliction, like her curse gave the God of Rot the ability to infect her. Remembrance of the Rot Goddess says "Miquella and Malenia are both the children of a single god. As such they are both Empyreans, but suffered afflictions from birth. One was cursed with eternal childhood, and the other harbored rot within." Conversely Ranni is associated with the moon by volition (and its status as an outer god is arguable, I would say). The other big missing piece is Miquella. What outer god is he associated with? None, so far as we know.

Miquella was originally affiliated with the Golden Order, studying it under his father Radagon. It’s possible he was being groomed as Marika’s successor, to one day become the vessel for the Greater Will as Marika is. However, ultimately Miquella turned away from the Golden Order and the Greater Will. It’s possible that he abandoned it in favor of some other outer god, but I would guess that he swore off gods entirely. We know that he created a needle to “ward away the meddling of outer gods.”

quote:

I basically agree with the Tarnished Archaeologist's take on this one: Empyreans are defined as those capable of becoming a god. Does that require meddling by or affiliation with an outer god? I don't know, but if so, it raises a lot more questions than it answers. What outer god is Miquella associated with? The Gloam-Eyed Queen was an Empyrean, who is her outer god?

Given that she was the leader of a faction dedicated to killing every god in the world, I would guess she probably wasn’t a god herself. There’s a good chance her story was similar to Miquella’s, except that she decided on a less peaceable solution to her dissatisfaction with the god situation.

quote:

I think you're again assuming that the Greater Will is still around and invested in the events of the Lands Between, and ascribing motivations to it without much basis.

Um, no, I’m not just assuming that, it’s kinda the whole point I’m arguing for.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I love when the treespear stun locks a boss. Scaling isn't great but I'm enjoying it around the midpoint.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

snoremac posted:

I love when the treespear stun locks a boss. Scaling isn't great but I'm enjoying it around the midpoint.

Treespear is a really fantastic DEX/FTH weapon for both PvE and PvP even at late game levels. The poise damage of it's heavy and jumping attacks is surprisingly high and you can buff/grease it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

It would be funny if we find out the GW didn’t know anything happened. Didnt know Radagon existed, didn’t know the Elden Ring was shattered, didn’t know Godfrey
I mean that's semiexplicitly stated where the finger reader crone tells you they're communing with the greater will and it might take hundreds of years 'thousands, if not tens of thousands of moons' to get a reply.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 2, 2024

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Treespear is a really fantastic DEX/FTH weapon for both PvE and PvP even at late game levels. The poise damage of it's heavy and jumping attacks is surprisingly high and you can buff/grease it.
I'm wondering what I'm gonna swap it with eventually. I initially chose DEX focus to use some small cool weapon, since my first playthrough I was all-in on strength and wound up with the giant hammer, but I think I naturally gravitate to big powerful weapons because they feel nice.

What's a neat mid/late game small cool weapon I can check out?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
The Greater Will doesn't seem like it's actually paying any attention to the Lands Between anymore, but given another couple thousand years it will figure out shenanigans are afoot.

The two fingers are sending anyone still faithful to the tree to stop whatever Marika is up to, but is completely stumped when you are locked out. The grace still guides you though, and it leads you to unleash destined death which seems to be Marika's plan. Also I just assumed the Greater Will was doing this same thing across the cosmos so it's a little busy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wanna know what's up with the arena you fight the end boss in. Did you teleport there like Farum Azula? Is it a dream realm like where you fight Fortissax?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don't like how if you fall a damage-causing distance and use Torrent's double jump it ignores the shift in momentum and damages you the same!

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

2house2fly posted:

I wanna know what's up with the arena you fight the end boss in. Did you teleport there like Farum Azula? Is it a dream realm like where you fight Fortissax?

given it's got the same kinda... world tree/interdimensional pillar/Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel type of visuals as the Ash Lake, Hunter's Dream and so on, it's presumably a similar kind of interstitial place within? between? both? the Erdtree(s), but if From have more concrete ideas about it they're seemingly above the pay grade of the player character

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

interesting stuff above. i think they should have made it where a warrior jar comes along and stuffs you into itself whenever you die. at least in some places or maybe just if there really is one nearby. you know what. i forgot you don't die as part of the canon in fromsoft games. that's very embarrassing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sure you do, that’s why it says YOU DIED

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Death is just a mishap in From.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

snoremac posted:

I don't like how if you fall a damage-causing distance and use Torrent's double jump it ignores the shift in momentum and damages you the same!

This was one of the first things I noticed about the double jump "oh this will allow you to do some wild drops and not die" *dies*

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

snoremac posted:

I'm wondering what I'm gonna swap it with eventually. I initially chose DEX focus to use some small cool weapon, since my first playthrough I was all-in on strength and wound up with the giant hammer, but I think I naturally gravitate to big powerful weapons because they feel nice.

What's a neat mid/late game small cool weapon I can check out?

If you want to focus solely on DEX, then some fun and effective midgame weapons are the Nagakiba from Altus Plateau, the Cross Naginata from a cave in northwest Caelid, and the Bolt of Gransax from Leyndell. None of these are especially small, but at least they attack faster than bigass STR weapons.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

snoremac posted:

fool. anyone whose played previous souls-like games knows you can only avoid fall damage by exploiting iframes in canned animations

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Once I learned to use Rainbow Stones my deaths from falling damage dropped dramatically

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Gatto Grigio posted:

Once I learned to use Rainbow Stones my deaths from falling damage dropped dramatically
I know you can drop them from the horse but in the moment, you just wanna see what happens

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cavauro posted:

interesting stuff above. i think they should have made it where a warrior jar comes along and stuffs you into itself whenever you die. at least in some places or maybe just if there really is one nearby. you know what. i forgot you don't die as part of the canon in fromsoft games. that's very embarrassing

You don't die, you just teleport

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I gave Godrick last night the worst beating I've ever given him in ANY of my playthroughs using my strength build. Just guard broke him and mauled his rear end into pieces.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

snoremac posted:

The best thing is when you actually land on something, but it doesn't count as stable ground, so the second you put a foot on solid ground you die instantly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

verbal enema posted:

The amount of shear cliff faces and the way all the shores just drop off does imply poo poo got mad wrecked when the ring was shattered

i always assumed this had less to do with the shattering and more to do with the entire geography of the Lands Between seemingly having formed from an impact crater

e: i'm also pretty sure Marika wants to die. not because of some ironclad deductive X -> Y lore reason but simply because she's the heart and soul of the Lands Between and like 90% of the characters you meet have suicidal ideation of one kind or another. her despair oozes from every corner of the world. the crumbling corpse you prop up in the Golden Order endings doesn't really change that imo

the biggest strike against this is that Maliketh seems to think otherwise (he apologizes to her in his dying breath because he's convinced the Golden Order cannot be restored), but i think that's just wishful thinking from someone Marika's betrayed and abandoned

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 2, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Brb coming up with an effort post to tie each ending to a different form of therapy and/or medication

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
lol warcry colossal spam is some funny poo poo. I think I killed Godrick in like 4 hits with a + 5 golem halberd

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i am very interested to hear from the guy a couple pages back who mentioned cut content that made Marika's specific intentions clearer, though. Hewg, Gideon, Maliketh, Melina, Ranni, Godfrey, and a handful of other incidental characters (e.g. that ghost talking about her "unwanted child") paint a fairly contradictory picture and while I think Melina's information can be taken at face value and Gideon is a dumbass who either doesn't know or is afraid to admit the truth, most of the others should at least know her well enough to have an informed opinion

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maliketh has some weird programming that makes him the way he is. He's bound to Marika as her best boy by the greater will. He can't betray the greater will either and that whole "chunk of death was stolen" thing made him go a little wonky. So he consumed the death rune and hid away (sort of) so no one else could take it.

Doubt he's even aware of where Marika is or what she actually was doing. Probably just thinks you needed to get death to kill her and that was against his primary purpose. Instead you're out to beat up the space whale.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Doubt he's even aware of where Marika is or what she actually was doing.

probably, yeah:

Remembrance of the Black Blade posted:

Maliketh was a shadowbound beast given to his Empyrean.
Marika's sole need of her shadow was a vessel to lock away Destined Death.
Even then, she betrayed him.

It's also one of the strongest pieces of evidence for "Marika was behind the Night of the Black Knives" because I'm not sure what else could be construed as a betrayal specifically related to sealing Destined Death.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

probably, yeah:

It's also one of the strongest pieces of evidence for "Marika was behind the Night of the Black Knives" because I'm not sure what else could be construed as a betrayal specifically related to sealing Destined Death.

She's also the reason Maliketh even has the death rune. Sort of, she commanded him to kill the gloam eye queen.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i always assumed this had less to do with the shattering and more to do with the entire geography of the Lands Between seemingly having formed from an impact crater

e: i'm also pretty sure Marika wants to die. not because of some ironclad deductive X -> Y lore reason but simply because she's the heart and soul of the Lands Between and like 90% of the characters you meet have suicidal ideation of one kind or another. her despair oozes from every corner of the world. the crumbling corpse you prop up in the Golden Order endings doesn't really change that imo

the biggest strike against this is that Maliketh seems to think otherwise (he apologizes to her in his dying breath because he's convinced the Golden Order cannot be restored), but i think that's just wishful thinking from someone Marika's betrayed and abandoned

The big sheer rock faces remind me the most of devil's postpile or the devil's tower.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The based chad Ranni: Loves her doggo, loves her friends, sacrifices herself

The cringe beta Marika: Uses everyone, blows up the world, loses her head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i feel like it's more of a "i support women's wrongs" situation with respect to both of them

marika is the instructive example that ranni's whole perspective grows from