Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
They shoulda called this game Final Fantasy 7 minigames per chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

JBP posted:

So how do the synergy cool attacks work? There's some kind of bar system to fill but I must have missed the tutorial in the tutorial deluge.

Keep pumping synergy skills which will unlock synergy actions kinda like a mini limit break. Tifa and Clouds sky whirlwind kick rules

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

God drat, the combat in this rules. Turns out when doing enough mako springs you get extra powerful enemies, one of which in junon having been an obviously bg3 inspired mind flayer , which also sports the awesome overturned original battle theme.

The combat banter is also fun.

"You've got this!"
"I've got this"

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

That enemy has been in Final Fantasy since forever

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah they were in FF1, but they were also basically ripped directly from dnd (which took them from lovecraft so it’s ripoffs all the way down)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paracausal posted:

Keep pumping synergy skills which will unlock synergy actions kinda like a mini limit break. Tifa and Clouds sky whirlwind kick rules

I wish the first synergy skills you got weren't ranged parries. I ain't gonna remember to use that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

So how do the synergy cool attacks work? There's some kind of bar system to fill but I must have missed the tutorial in the tutorial deluge.

Spend ATB bars. Each ATB bar you spend adds another pip to the little synergy ability bar.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Paracausal posted:

That enemy has been in Final Fantasy since forever

Yeah but this specific design hasn't

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It looks exactly like you’d expect a jazzed up for HD version of that enemy to look though?

Like what else could they make it look like? It’s ok for a thing to just be a thing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Game good, only problem is that the auto special ability materia is bugged on Tifa, she doesn't get the partner ability pip when she auto powers up, but it still uses her action bar.

Maybe that's intentional though, but it's frustrating if that's the case.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 2, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What exactly triggers Yuffie's Art of War becoming Supreme Art of War? I thought it was using it with Ninjutsu, but no. Then I thought it was using it on staggered mfers, but no. Then I thought it was using it while already using it but it ain't that either apparently. how it work

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I asked this of a poster in the Persona thread about P3 Reload and, well, this is another JRPG remake so why no ask it here, too.

Do you feel the remake has replaced the original insofar as you have no interest in replaying original FFVII now the Remake(s) exist? You would sooner replay the Remake than FFVII, basically.

The comparison between P3R and FFVIIR might not fit too well, though, because I assume P3R plays more or less like original P3, while FFVIIR is a whole different beast from original VII.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No they're completely different things and should be treated as such.

It's barely comparable with P3R anyway since that's a straight remake with some added bits and the FF7 remake project is a massive expansion on the original.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

stev posted:

I wish the first synergy skills you got weren't ranged parries. I ain't gonna remember to use that.

I started remembering to use them now that I have the one where Cloud uses Barret's bullets as baseballs for a ranged attack

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think I'll ever play FF7 original again unless I'm a very old man that has retired. I played it enough times to have enjoyed it fully. I played FF7R twice and enjoyed it too.

I hope hard mode rebirth doesn't mean I need to do the open world again or I'll never replay this one. I'm enjoying the open world stuff to some extent (just chilling with the crew) but I also don't really love it overall.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I replayed ff7 last year despite the remake existing so :shrug:

They’re completely different experiences outside of the major story beats, it’s more like choosing between a book and a movie or an overwrought prestige TV adaptation.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FF7R is a sequel to FF7

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

FF 8 is the sequel to FF 7, be serious here :rolleyes:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

JBP posted:

K this confused me for so long:

Synergy SKILLS are the moves you use by holding down r1 and pressing a face button. They're skills you can use alongside your characters regular move set and are genuinely more situational utility move. Like letting cloud Parry ranged magic or tifa get launched into the air. A synergy skill raises the atb gauge for both characters involved.

Characters have a synergy meter which is a bit like limit gauge except it starts each fight empty. It has 5 pips total and every time a character uses an atb spell or ability (at least most of them) they gain a pip.

Synergy ABILITIES are the flashy limit break style team up attacks. Each one requires both characters involved to have a certain amount of synergy pips, if you open the synergy menu it battle it should show you. Most of them seem to use ~3 synergy per character.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

NikkolasKing posted:

I asked this of a poster in the Persona thread about P3 Reload and, well, this is another JRPG remake so why no ask it here, too.

Do you feel the remake has replaced the original insofar as you have no interest in replaying original FFVII now the Remake(s) exist? You would sooner replay the Remake than FFVII, basically.

The comparison between P3R and FFVIIR might not fit too well, though, because I assume P3R plays more or less like original P3, while FFVIIR is a whole different beast from original VII.

This is comparable to Rebuild of Evangelion for me. Perfectly ok to experience as your first time but just juicy as all hell if you have enjoyed the original. Obviously an anime that finished the year before og FF7 came out has aged differently because it's not a video game and it's a lot easier to watch the whole thing, so I get that some people wont get that experience here. Having knowledge of FF7 has been really rewarding, because I've been playing with anticipation for parts I loved (like I would with P3R) but I also get to speculate and get surprised when things diverge

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Never.

The original still loving rules and I’m glad SE decided that the remake should be different. If they are going to bother doing this big remake they should change things up both good and bad.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This cactuar minigame is the opposite of fun

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
As somebody who comfortably beat the old gym minigame and thought complaints about it were overblown;

gently caress the new gym minigame. What an awful idea for a twist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

limp dick calvin posted:

Yuffie is cool

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

FF 8 is the sequel to FF 7, be serious here :rolleyes:

An FF8 remake would be awesome, but only if its a complete game, no splitting up into a trilogy again. I dont mind it being done here, but dont want square to get into that habit either.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Echoing: FF7 and FF7-2 (and FF7-2²) are unique experiences that each have their own merits.

Also, Yuffie introduction: Cloud being such a dork that he panics about doing chest compressions on a girl is such a perfect character moment.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am enjoying even more than in Remake how the game manages to work in the stuff from the original that seemed too goofy or "classic video game" to work in a modern one but they somehow make it feel right, also the subversion of some of that stuff as well

The Junon sequence is so much fun. They just totally lean into how ridiculous the whole scenario is and how dumb and oblivious it requires the Shinra troops to be. From the goofy-rear end march they do when Cloud sends calls them back to duty, to the serious commander running up to get her award and jumping up and down and waving like a little kid, to the 7th Division's blind acceptance of everything their "captain" does, it's all great.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

An FF8 remake would be awesome, but only if its a complete game, no splitting up into a trilogy again. I dont mind it being done here, but dont want square to get into that habit either.

Not to hate on 8 but I don’t see it getting a remake like this any time soon lol

I can see maybe 10 getting a remake though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I thought clearing 100% of the grasslands would clear the fog :smith:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Okay so spoilers for like 60% of the way through the game, post Gold Saucer visit stuff.

So it does seem like the game reads from Remake's save file a little, because in where the Johnny sidequest goes in the end, they show the party weapons from Remake, and one of Yuffies is missing, like my Intermission file is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Nope. It will never replace the original and it's not trying to replace the original.
I would probably *sooner* play the Remakes because I love the combat system and it's just easier to go back and replay chapters on hard mode than to start a whole new playthrough of FF7 original, but they're a completely different experience from the PS1 game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jimbot posted:

Absolutely adoring the game. Loving every second. My only issue is that running around is weirdly janky. It felt great, albeit a bit stiff, in Remake but these rough terrains doesn't quite fit their movement model. There's a disconnect in the animation with there not being any real transitions and the little hills really kills momentum for a moment. You adjust to it quickly but it never stops feeling a bit janky.

Aside from that I'm really liking all the changes and, following the tradition of Remake, everything has a lot of thought and care into it. I'm looking forward to getting the soundtrack.

The world is designed like Death Stranding except I'm not going into the game excited about dealing with the lovely terrain so I just have a chocobo that can't deal with rocky terrain or can't jump off cliffs.

I'm only still in the grasslands because of work and poo poo, but so far I'm feeling a lot about this how I did about remake, although so far the side stuff is SLIGHTLY more engaging. I really liked the little quest where you help the farmgirl make a flower crown. I love a lot of the little added stuff to characters, there's way more Red XIII characterization now, I adore basically any Tifa/Aerith stuff, I really liked how the backstory handled Sephiroth where he feels way more like a real person until things go sideways. The music is absolutely insanely good, some of the best remastered music I've heard in a video game. The farm music in particular I was really grooving too.

But there's stuff that isn't doing it for me, it sucks to move around the open world. The terrain is annoying, especially on a chocobo, the yellow climbing bits as awful and take forever to go up or down them. The game does not look as good to me as I wish it did. Is this game exclusive to PS5 because it sure doesn't look that way. This is a little less noticeable when you're overlooking the open world, although even then if you look out into say the shore near Midgar and see the giant pipes, the textures, the pipes, everything looks pretty rough. A lot of Kalm had the problem that a lot of Midgar had in the first one where there's a ton of bad looking models and low rez textures and the pop-in is real bad. I first noticed this in Kalm where I take a few steps back and the flowers on a cart disappear and then come back when I get close. That is insane to me, I'm playing on a PS5 and on the graphics mode too. Ratchet and Clank really set a bar for me that I don't think any game on the PS5 has managed to pass yet for me, though GoW and Horizon do come close. Granted R&C was doing a much more cartoony style so the art style itself does a lot of heavy lifting but still

But ya know, I love FF7 to death and I love these characters so I'll keep going despite these issues. For all my problems I had with Remake I still think fondly of all the really well done character stuff.

edit: I will never 100% this game though because I will never touch a card game. I would rather die

NikkolasKing posted:

Absolutely not. These games are a sequel to FF7 and not actually remakes (I mean the first like 5 minutes of this game is basically a big neon flashing sign that you should play FF7 first), and I think you are doing yourself a disservice not playing the OG first.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Good thing with the OG is that the version they released on newer consoles has boosts and stuff. Super easy breezy to play if you wanted a refresher of that one.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

There's a few peeps here who reviewed it, right? Without spoilers, how much is left upon reaching gold saucer?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

There's a few peeps here who reviewed it, right? Without spoilers, how much is left upon reaching gold saucer?

A lot. That is maybe a halfway point but honestly less.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just realized I never assessed a quest-related enemy Beck, got all of his goons though in Chapter 2.

Any chance of them showing up in a combat sim or some other quest down the line? Or is that something I'd have to wait for NG+ for?

Junon-area sidequest grumbling, I never wanted to play Fort Condor ever again.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

limp dick calvin posted:

Yuffie is cool

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ImpAtom posted:

A lot. That is maybe a halfway point but honestly less.

Awesome, thx!

That said, holy poo poo that gold saucer intro

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 2, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Late Chapter 4: Barret in the sailor suit awkwardly covering up the gun arm with a bunch of bandages and a hook, lmao

And holy poo poo, these idiot Shinra troops still think I'm one of them, ahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

Late Chapter 4: Barret in the sailor suit awkwardly covering up the gun arm with a bunch of bandages and a hook, lmao

And holy poo poo, these idiot Shinra troops still think I'm one of them, ahahaha

They will give their life for their captain that they've only known for, like, 5 minutes.